Tuffy Security Products Security Deck Enclosure - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphs12
does anyone have detailed pictures of one of these installed?
I will this weekend.

Full-Traction Suspension is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #32
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Planned on installing mine today. Started unpacking it this morning, but couldn't get it outta the box. I thought, "Wow, they really sandwiched that thing in there."

Finally cut the box open with a razor knife, only to discover that the Tuffy lid was so bent it would easily hold a couple gallons of water. Behold:

Attachment 80533

Everything else inside the box was fine (except the styrofoam packing, which was all busted up.)

Looks like my install's gonna be pushed back a bit.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
óJohn Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf
Planned on installing mine today. Started unpacking it this morning, but couldn't get it outta the box. I thought, "Wow, they really sandwiched that thing in there."

Finally cut the box open with a razor knife, only to discover that the Tuffy lid was so bent it would easily hold a couple gallons of water. Behold:

Everything else inside the box was fine (except the styrofoam packing, which was all busted up.)

Looks like my install's gonna be pushed back a bit.
That's sucks. Mine arrived in good shape. They pack them nice. Was it FedEx or ups?

I'm still waiting on my jeep to get here!
Full-Traction Suspension is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #34
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension View Post
That's sucks. Mine arrived in good shape. They pack them nice. Was it FedEx or ups?

I'm still waiting on my jeep to get here!
UPS. Unfortunately, I was in Ames, IA shooting the Iowa State/Oklahoma State game when it arrived. My neighbor put it in my garage for me. Otherwise I probably would've opened the box and checked everything out.

Weird thing is, the box looked fine. Anyway, the vendor's sending a replacement. Just have to keep putting the bent one outside every day till UPS picks it up (sometime in the next 8 days.)

I thought you finally got your Jeep? Not sure which thread it was (or even where I saw it), but something I read in the last day or two made me think it had arrived.

Hopefully you'll get it soon.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
óJohn Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 291
I have a crush JKU on order. Still sitting in the rail yard an hour away. Hopefully tomorrow as they have said everyday this week.
Full-Traction Suspension is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #36
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension View Post
I have a crush JKU on order. Still sitting in the rail yard an hour away. Hopefully tomorrow as they have said everyday this week.


Torture!
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
óJohn Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #37
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphs12
does anyone have detailed pictures of one of these installed?
Ok I took some pics for ya:

Installed:


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4279270532.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	81034

Top removed, just the back installed:


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3186715399.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	81035

Totally removed, this one little bracket on the wheel wells are all thats left:


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3865498565.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	81036
Sueby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
BurdDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 28
Is it just me or does the deck look warped in the installed photo? I am also considering getting one of these, but it doesn't seem to be load-bearing. Any issues Sueby? Oh, and thanx for the photos.
__________________
BurdDawg
2012 Rubicon MW3 Edition on order...have to settle for my MRAP to get me where I'm goin'...
BurdDawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #39
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Tuffy says the lid is rated to hold 150 lbs.

JK Security Deck Enclosure Jeep Wrangler, JK 2011+

Thank you for the photos, Sueby.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
óJohn Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #40
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,754
No - thats just the pic. Its not warped at all (just dirty!). It will hold quite a bit if weight. I wouldn't have any any problem distributing, i don't know, a couple hundred pounds? on it. It's very well built. Gotta be for for the $ I spent on it!
Sueby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #41
dirt road inspector

WF Supporting Member
 
tomthbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 2,457
What is the clearance between the floor and the deck at the opening edge?
__________________
tomthbomb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #42
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,754
It lines up exactly with the tailgate & the bar on the back window - it's like 16 inches or so, depending on where u measure. Not sure if the pics will help at all...

Fully installed with the back window secured:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2457285578.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	81051

Back window up, tailgate closed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3228687437.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	81052

It's got some weather stripping along the part that is in contact with the tailgate so everything is nice & tight. If you look at the first pic I posted in my first pic post you can see the weather stripping that would line up with the tailgate - it almost looks like a white strip...

I have no idea if I'm making sense. Lol
Sueby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #43
Jeeper
 
BurdDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 28
Thanks, Sueby!! Pictures were awesome. I don't always trust manufacturers sites and after seeing the damaged deck in previous post from shipping, didn't want to spend that much $$$ for something that would bend the first time I set something on it.
__________________
BurdDawg
2012 Rubicon MW3 Edition on order...have to settle for my MRAP to get me where I'm goin'...
BurdDawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #44
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,754
No problem. I went through the same thing before I bought it. It's really hard to tell how it works till you get it installed so I'm happy to help if I can. I really like the thing, it's very secure, I lock everything in it and trust it's security. Was it worth the $450 or whatever it was I paid? Thats tough. I do think its pricy but when I consider the price of the stuff I lock up - my full soft doors, my camping/ tailgating gear, the occasional laptop, purse or anything I bought that day - I guess it's worth it.

And I do think the warped deck was a fluke or a shipping mishap - its a very well made & packaged product.
Sueby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #45
Jeeper
 
jphs12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks a lot Sueby - I just figured out what my Jeep is getting for Christmas
jphs12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 291
Finally installed my ARB on the tuffy deck. Also installed the center console
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4282480114.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	88438   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3461452304.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	88443  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1237599708.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	88444  
Full-Traction Suspension is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #47
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
Has anyone ever tried to mount the hard top on TOP of the brackets for the enclosure. Today I took my hardtop off and removeing the security enclosure was not difficult to remove but it was annoying. When I replaced my hardtop I tried putting it directly ontop of the mounting hardware. The top still fit fine and there are no appearent gaps etc. I am concearned that there could be some effect over a long period of time. Has anyone else tried this for an extended amount of time.
Malloy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #48
Proud Wrangler Owner

WF Supporting Member
 
sunnykk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 597
Time wise how long does it take to remove the top and back to get the full use of the cargo area.
__________________
Sunny K
2012 JKU SportS Black Forest Green (01/13/2012)
Check out my Jeep Profile for pics/info on my mods
sunnykk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #49
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Has anyone ever tried to mount the hard top on TOP of the brackets for the enclosure. Today I took my hardtop off and removeing the security enclosure was not difficult to remove but it was annoying. When I replaced my hardtop I tried putting it directly ontop of the mounting hardware. The top still fit fine and there are no appearent gaps etc. I am concearned that there could be some effect over a long period of time. Has anyone else tried this for an extended amount of time.
Nope.

But if you do it, please take a lot of photos over a long period of time, just in case the attempt turns into a total cluster****.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
óJohn Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #50
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykk View Post
Time wise how long does it take to remove the top and back to get the full use of the cargo area.
Maybe five minutes? Maybe? Basically, you lift the lid from the tailgate position, slide it back, then forward (or maybe it's the other way around...forget) to remove the lid. If you wanna remove the back panel (the part that's just behind the rear seats), you undo 4 knob screws and slide that out. No tools needed.

I take mine in and out all the time. Best to fold the seats down and take the lid in and out that way, unless you're going topless.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
óJohn Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #51
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
I'm thinking about getting one of these for my 2011 JKU. I'm confused about how this works with power door locks. What is to keep someone from zipping open my window and clicking the lock button? The description says "It works in conjunction with the vehicle rear door and lock (power lock switches become disabled after approximately 16 seconds when locking doors with the key fob). "

Does that really work like that? What connects the two?

Thanks!

thanks
lwh1961 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #52
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Sueby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwh1961 View Post
I'm thinking about getting one of these for my 2011 JKU. I'm confused about how this works with power door locks. What is to keep someone from zipping open my window and clicking the lock button? The description says "It works in conjunction with the vehicle rear door and lock (power lock switches become disabled after approximately 16 seconds when locking doors with the key fob). "

Does that really work like that? What connects the two?

Thanks!

thanks
Yes it works. When you lock the doors WITH the key fob the power lock switches are disabled after a few seconds. You have to unlock with the key fob.
Sueby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 26
Just ordered the deck from 4wd.com for $411 with free shipping the best price I found on it yet.
Black is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 117
I've got one on order with 4wd also, 10% discount this week I think.

I had one in my 08 jku which I traded in. I'm waiting on my 12jk and of course the old one wouldnt have fit so left that in the trade in.

In my prior jeep I loved the Tuffy deck. It felt reasonably secure and the lid could hold some weight. I wouldnt push my luck with it, but loading bags of compost, lumber, whatever didnt bother it in the least.

To take the deck out you slide if forward a few inches and it lifts up, then you push it back i think and it comes off. The back plate is secured from the inside with 4 hand screws, you dont need any tools to take that out.

In my 08 I felt pretty sure that the easiest way someone had to break into it was to break the lock on the tailgate. I'm not excited about that as some idiot would try it with a screwdriver and then neither you or the idiot will be able to get in there. I had someone do that to a pickup of mine once, took a screwdriver to both doors and I had to call in to work since I couldnt even get in my truck.

Anyone know a way to protect the lock itself?
odimodus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
mjf232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. Jersey near Philly
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Just ordered the deck from 4wd.com for $411 with free shipping the best price I found on it yet.
I ordered mine last week from them too. Best deal around on this.
__________________
2012 JKU Sahara
Deep Cherry Red
mjf232 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #56
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by odimodus View Post
To take the deck out you slide if forward a few inches and it lifts up, then you push it back i think and it comes off. The back plate is secured from the inside with 4 hand screws, you dont need any tools to take that out.

In my 08 I felt pretty sure that the easiest way someone had to break into it was to break the lock on the tailgate. I'm not excited about that as some idiot would try it with a screwdriver and then neither you or the idiot will be able to get in there. I had someone do that to a pickup of mine once, took a screwdriver to both doors and I had to call in to work since I couldnt even get in my truck.

Anyone know a way to protect the lock itself?
There is another way to break into the Tuffy deck if you're running topless. The 4 "wheels" (2 on each side of lid) that fit into the guides on the side mounting plates are held on by a single allen screw each. Someone with the proper sized allen wrench could undo those 4 screws and lift the top right off.

Not likely, I know, but I had a buddy spot weld mine, just in case. I often carry some very expensive gear in my Tuffy case, and would rather not gamble that no thieves pack allen wrenches. Kinda like hoping they don't know what Torx bits are.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
óJohn Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #57
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf

There is another way to break into the Tuffy deck if you're running topless. The 4 "wheels" (2 on each side of lid) that fit into the guides on the side mounting plates are held on by a single allen screw each. Someone with the proper sized allen wrench could undo those 4 screws and lift the top right off.

Not likely, I know, but I had a buddy spot weld mine, just in case. I often carry some very expensive gear in my Tuffy case, and would rather not gamble that no thieves pack allen wrenches. Kinda like hoping they don't know what Torx bits are.
Good idea, I,ll look into that.
odimodus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #58
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 519
I may have totally missed this, but what makes it lockable? The fact you need tools to remove it? Is the only way to lift it is when the tailgate is open? Can you lift it when in place and the tailgate is shut? Or is there a place you can add a lock?

As for a question along a different line, what kind of weather protection does it provide? If one is riding topless (the jeep), and you get stuck in the rain, will your content under the deck get wet?
smaxberry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #59
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
I am very interested in this application for my new 2 door soft top. I plan to hunt out of the vehicle and have been concerned about not having lockable storage. Surely someone else has used it for similar purposes. Does anyone know if a couple of standard length cased deer rifles would fit diagonally inside the enclosure?
volfo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #60
Jeeper
 
dirtybiketrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Lost Plains of Iowa
Posts: 2,405
Images: 5
I am wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the Security Deck Enclosure (quadratec price: $456.99) and the Tailgate Security Enclosure (quadratec price: $196.99). They look to be functionally similar, and can't see the $250 difference between the two. I know I will want one of them, just not sure which one I will need, for certain.


dirtybiketrash is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tuffy security deck enclosure review and installation. necromancer_tat TJ General Discussion Forum 42 08-15-2014 06:06 PM
Tuffy Security Products for 2011 Boosta JK General Discussion Forum 7 06-27-2011 01:10 AM
Tuffy Security Deck for JK? 2005xfr JK General Discussion Forum 0 04-17-2011 03:43 PM
Reciever and Tuffy security deck BigMoe Classifieds Archive 1 12-23-2010 04:39 PM
Isolating rear lock for Tuffy Security deck BigMoe JK General Discussion Forum 11 09-21-2010 11:52 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.



Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC