UConnect In the 2011 Wrangler - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #61
Jeeper
 
CRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 247
Funny how most people with uconnect/usb problems are using apple products.

CRNA is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #62
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
Granted that there are other devices that can be used by the USB connection and considering that the USB hook up is used to play & charge iPods & iPhones what other things would they have problems with?



Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Funny how most people with uconnect/usb problems are using apple products.

xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #63
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 9
Hello

I have a 2011 Unlimited rubicon with RES Radio, Uconnect and USB port.

¿There is any button to activate the USB input or the only way to activate it is trough voice commands?

Thanks

Mariano
Santiago, Chile
mlozano is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #64
Jeeper
 
FlyinJeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Funny how most people with uconnect/usb problems are using apple products.

I have the iphone 3, uconnect works great for me except the texting part.. has since day 1..
FlyinJeeps is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #65
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 9
I have tried with 3 different devices and no one works for music play.

iPod nano 5th Gen (With Camera)
iPod nano 6th Gen (Touch screen)
iPhone 4 (OS 4.3.5)

On the 5th gen iPod nano, it shows the Uconnect logo but i can't figure out how to make it sound the music.

On the 6th gen nano, it shows "Accessory Connected" but same problem than other iPod.

On iPhone 4, only charges the iPhone and i can use it as a hands free without problem (bluetooth), but no music.

Any help on how to activate the USB input?

Thanks

Mariano
mlozano is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #66
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
On the front of the radio, there is an "AUX" button, you can press this button and the USB port will be channeled thru.




Quote:
Originally Posted by mlozano View Post
Hello

I have a 2011 Unlimited rubicon with RES Radio, Uconnect and USB port.

¿There is any button to activate the USB input or the only way to activate it is trough voice commands?

Thanks

Mariano
Santiago, Chile
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #67
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
Ok, I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but after plugging in the USB cable to the iPod, are you pressing the "AUX" button on the radio? Does the radio screen show "READING" on the screen? Is there any error messages that come up?



Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
On the front of the radio, there is an "AUX" button, you can press this button and the USB port will be channeled thru.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RES AUX button.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	64716  
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #68
Newb
 
wylee69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10
I just got my 2012 JK last friday with the RES 130. Here is my experience with the iPhone4.

Voice Dialing with Bluetooth works flawlessly. No problems at all.

Playing music has been a tad frustrating but I think I figured it out. I plug my phone into the USB port and I can see the song information on the display when I cycle to the UCI (USB) auxiliary input on the radio. Music will play for like 10 seconds then stop. If I click auxiliary again and get to the BT (Bluetooth) input I can listen to my music. On my iPhone the iPod app shows that I am connected to UConnect. If I tap the UConnect on the display I can toggle between using the Bluetooth UConnect and the Dock Connection. Once I switch to Dock COnnection I can swith the Auxiliary function back to UCI (USB) and things work great. Sometimes I need to try it a few times because the iPhone wont swich over to Dock Connection but when it does it works great.

The only feature that doesn't work for me is the SMS functions.
wylee69 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #69
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
Ok, I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but after plugging in the USB cable to the iPod, are you pressing the "AUX" button on the radio? Does the radio screen show "READING" on the screen? Is there any error messages that come up?
Hello.

Thanks for the help.

When i press the Aux button says "Auxiliary not connected". Yesterday i have also tried with a 4th gen iPod nano and same problem. In this case the iPod shows a "Jeep" logo on the screen but nothing happens on the radio.

Do i have to activate something on the dealer?. I have activated the uConnect module and it works great as Bluetooth hands free, but i can't play music trough the USB port.

Yesterday i also have upgraded the radio software, and the problem continues.

Regards

Mariano
Santiago, Chile
mlozano is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #70
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlozano

Hello.

Thanks for the help.

When i press the Aux button says "Auxiliary not connected". Yesterday i have also tried with a 4th gen iPod nano and same problem. In this case the iPod shows a "Jeep" logo on the screen but nothing happens on the radio.

Do i have to activate something on the dealer?. I have activated the uConnect module and it works great as Bluetooth hands free, but i can't play music trough the USB port.

Yesterday i also have upgraded the radio software, and the problem continues.

Regards

Mariano
Santiago, Chile
Here is a pic.

Thanks

Mariano

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2194445899.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	64841
mlozano is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
The Ugly Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 280
I use an iPhone 4, BT audio stream works decent. It's definitely a lesser sound quality than the Sirius, but not un-listenable. 2011 JK Mojave...
__________________
97 Wrangler - 4 Angry Hamsters; 2 1/2 " Rough Country Suspension, 33x12.5x15 Firestone Destination MT's.
2011 JK "Mojave".
2012 MW3 Rubicon
Recognize the same mistakes, every time you make them !
The Ugly Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #72
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
The iPod does have to be the "dock" mode when hooked to a cable. The "uconnect mode is for when you are streaming the audio using Bluetooth and no cable.



Quote:
Originally Posted by wylee69 View Post
I just got my 2012 JK last friday with the RES 130. Here is my experience with the iPhone4.

Voice Dialing with Bluetooth works flawlessly. No problems at all.

Playing music has been a tad frustrating but I think I figured it out. I plug my phone into the USB port and I can see the song information on the display when I cycle to the UCI (USB) auxiliary input on the radio. Music will play for like 10 seconds then stop. If I click auxiliary again and get to the BT (Bluetooth) input I can listen to my music. On my iPhone the iPod app shows that I am connected to UConnect. If I tap the UConnect on the display I can toggle between using the Bluetooth UConnect and the Dock Connection. Once I switch to Dock COnnection I can swith the Auxiliary function back to UCI (USB) and things work great. Sometimes I need to try it a few times because the iPhone wont swich over to Dock Connection but when it does it works great.

The only feature that doesn't work for me is the SMS functions.
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #73
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
Yes, the quality of the sound is a less quality, but some people prefer to (or just want to be wired without wires. I actually think of the benifits with the cable:
1) I get all the data on the album, artist, song etc without having to pick my phone or iPod up and scroll thru (taking my eyes off the road).
2) My phone / iPod battery is charging instead of discharging and will be charged for when I do need to use it outside of my vehicle.
3) Biggy here , sound quality, even thought this is being worked on with better hardware, it won't be available for a short while.
4) The use of VR commands to change artist, album, turn shuffle on & off etc


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ugly Jeep View Post
I use an iPhone 4, BT audio stream works decent. It's definitely a lesser sound quality than the Sirius, but not un-listenable. 2011 JK Mojave...
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #74
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
Do you have a different iPod cable? If so can you try the cable?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mlozano View Post
Hello.

Thanks for the help.

When i press the Aux button says "Auxiliary not connected". Yesterday i have also tried with a 4th gen iPod nano and same problem. In this case the iPod shows a "Jeep" logo on the screen but nothing happens on the radio.

Do i have to activate something on the dealer?. I have activated the uConnect module and it works great as Bluetooth hands free, but i can't play music trough the USB port.

Yesterday i also have upgraded the radio software, and the problem continues.

Regards

Mariano
Santiago, Chile
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #75
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: detroit area
Posts: 8
forget the ipod they for the most part don't work

This is the answer to fix all your ipods! ditch them. Go to bestbuy and buy a flash drive $40.00 and download all your songs, 16 gigs will get 800 songs and 32 gigs will get you 1800. You must have a ubs port to plug into its in my center console. I have 2011 with the 130 radio and the uconnect this works just like a ipod and you can use the steering wheel controls its awsome.
mchh11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #76
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
Dude, really? I don't know if you have actually tried an iPod with the update but they do work. Granted that yes the USB does also work, I don't think that people will just "throw them away".




Quote:
Originally Posted by mchh11 View Post
This is the answer to fix all your ipods! ditch them. Go to bestbuy and buy a flash drive $40.00 and download all your songs, 16 gigs will get 800 songs and 32 gigs will get you 1800. You must have a ubs port to plug into its in my center console. I have 2011 with the 130 radio and the uconnect this works just like a ipod and you can use the steering wheel controls its awsome.
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #77
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: detroit area
Posts: 8
The ipod works great but not with the 130 u-connect a memory stick does a better job and you don't worry about someone stealing it just try and you will agree keep the pod in your pocket
mchh11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #78
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
Can you tell me how it doesn't work so I can look into this issue? Thanks




Quote:
Originally Posted by mchh11 View Post
The ipod works great but not with the 130 u-connect a memory stick does a better job and you don't worry about someone stealing it just try and you will agree keep the pod in your pocket
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #79
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Funny how most people with uconnect/usb problems are using apple products.
Works fine with my iPhone 4 since the update,

Before the update even my friends Samsung Captivate wouldnt stream properly over Bluetooth or USB
Noxian is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #80
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
His captivate works ok now doesn't it? Has he updated his Android SW to the 2.2? If so his phonebook doesn't download now does it? They have a 2.3 coming out and I just got a Beta version to test and will post the results.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
Works fine with my iPhone 4 since the update,

Before the update even my friends Samsung Captivate wouldnt stream properly over Bluetooth or USB
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #81
Newb
 
Hawgguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Funny how most people with uconnect/usb problems are using apple products.
Not really. Need to consider iPhone/iPod market penetration in the demographic likely to own a late-model vehicle with Uconnect. The dominant brand owned would also have the higher number of problems. Better question would be if the percent of problems with Uconnect is out of proportion to the brand's prevalence.
Hawgguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #82
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
What really needs to be understood is that when the SW for a vehicle is written, it can be up to 1.5 years before the vehicle is released. This is because the Automotive companies have to go thru several "Pre Builds" before the vehicle is released to the public. Testing on various devices (phones / media players/ USB sticks etc) are done at that time using the SW that is in the devices at that time. If a device fails the testing, the results are sent to the device maker and it is up to them to either make a fix or just let it go. If the device passes the testing, then it is put on the "Approved List". In between the time of testing and the release of the vehicle (and in many cases, even after the release of the vehicle) the device maker may have made an update and never sent it to the hands free car kit company to validate. (whether it is Chrysler, Ford, Gm, Ear bud etc companies), This update should be validated before releasing it to the public. No one has a crystal ball to look into an see what will happen in a year or two. In several instances a person has had a device that has been working for several months and now that they have done an Update to the device, it does not work correctly. Is it Uconnects fault that it used to work but now that you performed an update from XYZ company it doesn't perform correctly?
Jeannie & Samantha no longer work.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgguy View Post
Not really. Need to consider iPhone/iPod market penetration in the demographic likely to own a late-model vehicle with Uconnect. The dominant brand owned would also have the higher number of problems. Better question would be if the percent of problems with Uconnect is out of proportion to the brand's prevalence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeannie, samantha.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	66725  
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #83
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 9
I also have tried with a 8GB USB Drive and nothing happens. (Same with iPods)

My question is, the dealer have to activate the USB cable too or just the Uconnect Bluetooth module?

In my case, Bluetooth communication works perfect with my iPhone 4, but i can't make it play music trough USB.

Regards

Mariano
mlozano is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #84
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
Do you mean as for receiving and sending text messages via Bluetooth? If so, the problem is that there are only a few phones that support SMS (text) messages thru Bluetooth. Apple is not one of them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinJeeps View Post
I have the iphone 3, uconnect works great for me except the texting part.. has since day 1..
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #85
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
My $75 Chinese radio from Fry's worked great with all my Apple devices. Jeep just needs better software programmers to stay with current with API development.
MrTremere is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #86
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
Yeah, sure it did. Do you really think that all the SW is written in a common form? If this was true then any version of Android or Apple SW would always work fine. However it is a fact that several devices work fine until the device manufacturer comes out with a new update and then it causes problems with what was already working. SO, who created the problem? Not Uconnect, Ford Sync, OR any other Bluetooth car kit company. There is no way of knowing after a SW is written to perform with a vehicle what the device companies will write for an update.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTremere View Post
My $75 Chinese radio from Fry's worked great with all my Apple devices. Jeep just needs better software programmers to stay with current with API development.
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #87
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
Can you take a picture of the MFG tag on the drivers door for me and post it? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlozano View Post
I also have tried with a 8GB USB Drive and nothing happens. (Same with iPods)

My question is, the dealer have to activate the USB cable too or just the Uconnect Bluetooth module?

In my case, Bluetooth communication works perfect with my iPhone 4, but i can't make it play music trough USB.

Regards

Mariano
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #88
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santiago, Chile
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs
Can you take a picture of the MFG tag on the drivers door for me and post it? Thanks
The mfg date is 04-11 and The Uconnect module installed is PN 82212159

Regards

Mariano
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-568207237.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	66923   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2974995216.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	66924  

mlozano is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #89
Jeeper
 
ryankpreston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 79
USB storage stick successful

I loaded a 32 GB USB flash drive with a bunch of music and it plays perfectly. I can push #2 to scroll through artists and #3 to scroll through albums (or the other way around). I cannot get voice recognition to work well however, or at all actually. It doesn't seem to recognize artists or songs. Anyone have better luck with the voice command using a flash drive. I'm not an ipod user so have not experience there. SORRY if this was answered already.
__________________
2012 JKU - White - Manual
ryankpreston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #90
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,988
I must have missed the part about this being a dealer installed Mopar kit. Can you please post a picture of the black module located below the glove box opening. (open it and you should see the module). Did you install this or did the dealer? When the Mopar kit is installed the radio does need to be programmed for having added the Uconnect system.
1) when you plug in a USB thumb drive, does it light up?
2) on the iPhone 4, can you stream audio?
3) if you have a iPod plugged in, press the VR button (next to the white phone button) and say "USB", what happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlozano View Post
The mfg date is 04-11 and The Uconnect module installed is PN 82212159

Regards

Mariano

xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new 2011 Jeep wrangler unlimited s2klpe Texas Jeep Forum 3 06-13-2012 06:21 PM
Thinking of Getting a 2011 Wrangler plyboult WF New Member Check In 17 10-28-2010 11:10 PM
2009 Wrangler X 2 Dr - Adding UConnect & Ipod hambones JK Tech Forum 5 09-01-2009 05:44 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC