Unfortunate design flaw - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Creeper

WF Supporting Member
 
nycdude777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 74
Unfortunate design flaw

I just recently learned about this unfortunate design flaw. It makes the axles shift left to right when the jeep goes up and down. It is stupid.

The problem is even worse when you lift the damn thing. Some really good lift kits MUST address this issue by dropping the trackbar to compensate for the increased angle from the lift. I don't know. It looks too weird.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Design Flaw.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	70978

nycdude777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,899
Where do I get a pink trac bar?

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
zombie & ninja slayer

WF Supporting Member
 
Redsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern illinois, no where near chicago (allendale)
Posts: 2,264
unless you get a triangulted 4 link, but that would be several thousand bucks, but any vehicle with a trac bar will do that
__________________

"It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again"
Redsand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Hardcore Jeeper
 
Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 3,320
I'd rather have the green axel... much more unique I think... although it is only 2wd... unless they've made the smallest pumpkin in the world... would help with ground clearence issues...
__________________
What have we got?
We have one heavily armed Recreational Vehicle


ΣΧ
The Power Tech 6
Peepers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Creeper

WF Supporting Member
 
nycdude777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Where do I get a pink trac bar?
Paint it with nail polish LOL
nycdude777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Creeper

WF Supporting Member
 
nycdude777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
unless you get a triangulted 4 link, but that would be several thousand bucks, but any vehicle with a trac bar will do that
And the rear track bar goes the other way, so when you jump on the highway doing 75, its good to know that your jeep is doing the ballerina with front wheels going left and the rear wheels going right....
nycdude777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude777

Paint it with nail polish LOL
Perfect
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
sneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Perfect
i know my next mod!
sneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
zombie & ninja slayer

WF Supporting Member
 
Redsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern illinois, no where near chicago (allendale)
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude777 View Post
And the rear track bar goes the other way, so when you jump on the highway doing 75, its good to know that your jeep is doing the ballerina with front wheels going left and the rear wheels going right....
a triangulated 4 link will not allow it to move
__________________

"It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again"
Redsand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,623
Is that your jeep?
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
So thats what they mean by "GO GREEN"

Whodathunk ?

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Is that your jeep?
Yeah really, is "Shadow Ninja Grey" a new 2012 color?
xjrguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Electrical Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
deathphoenix99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,619
Easy Fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep%20Design%20Flaw.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	70986  
__________________
2011 RCLB Silverado, It's got the power I need.
Wiring Diagrams!
-Phil-

QUOTE:Bugsbb
"You're just about to get a bump and poke back.."
deathphoenix99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 2,305
Oh good God! I guess we all need to whine to Jeep that we want a Watts link to make sure the axle stays exactly in the middle under any circumstance possible.

Even though a track bar isn't perfect it's a helluva lot better than leaf springs because you can at least predict where the axle will be at any given time. I don't see anyone complaining about their leaf springs on a YJ doing a lousy job of keeping the axle centered.
__________________
2012 Silver Sport S, Silver, 6 speed, soft top, 3.73s, LSD, PCG, Infiniti, deep tint windows, Pro Comp 1028 wheels, 33" Duratracs, Smittybilt bumpers and steps, KC fog lights, Mopar slush mats and fuel door.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
oilwell1415 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Creeper

WF Supporting Member
 
nycdude777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
a triangulated 4 link will not allow it to move
See now that's what I'm talking about! The triangulated 4 link is the way to go. it seems like a much better design. Why isn't jeep doing that by default?
nycdude777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Creeper

WF Supporting Member
 
nycdude777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathphoenix99 View Post
Easy Fix.

@deathphoenix99 Ahahahahahaha, do that to your jeep and see how it rides!
nycdude777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #17
Electrical Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
deathphoenix99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,619
Like a tank.
__________________
2011 RCLB Silverado, It's got the power I need.
Wiring Diagrams!
-Phil-

QUOTE:Bugsbb
"You're just about to get a bump and poke back.."
deathphoenix99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Remember, if you "X" tracked the axle like that !

I would go STRAIGHT up and DOWN--no articulation !

Sure would ride good though-for a maller

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #19
Creeper

WF Supporting Member
 
nycdude777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Remember, if you "X" tracked the axle like that !

I would go STRAIGHT up and DOWN--no articulation !

Sure would ride good though-for a maller

JIMBO

Wrong! By crossing the track bar like that you would create vertical triangulation and the axle would not move at all. It would be the same as WELDING the axle to the frame, no springing action. The only purpose it'd be good for is display in a museum of tanks LOL
nycdude777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Oh perish the thought of conn. at the "X" ctr-I was


Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude777 View Post
Wrong! By crossing the track bar like that you would create vertical triangulation and the axle would not move at all. It would be the same as WELDING the axle to the frame, no springing action. The only purpose it'd be good for is display in a museum of tanks LOL
Considering sliding runners at each axle attachment and that would suffice for my MALL RAT !

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #21
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Design flaw? Seriously?

This is just a consequence of using a track bar. There's nothing unusual about it and they are widely used. (See here.)

If you lift beyond 2" or so, you just get a longer track bar or (less preferred) a bracket that provides a little extra length. Problem solved.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #22
Creeper

WF Supporting Member
 
nycdude777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Oh perish the thought of conn. at the "X" ctr-I was

Considering sliding runners at each axle attachment and that would suffice for my MALL RAT !

JIMBO
Now I know you're kidding. You're saying you would install runners to allow the track bars to slide back and forth along the axle? Woulnd't that destroy the purpose of the track bar? The track bar is supposed to have rigid fittings at each end, one to the body, one to the shaft, to prevent it from sliding side to side. Having two crossed trackbars would create a tension between them and neither one would be able to move...
nycdude777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
zombie & ninja slayer

WF Supporting Member
 
Redsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern illinois, no where near chicago (allendale)
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude777 View Post
See now that's what I'm talking about! The triangulated 4 link is the way to go. it seems like a much better design. Why isn't jeep doing that by default?
VERY expensive, i looked into just doing the rear of my tj, and decided the cost isnt worth it
__________________

"It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again"
Redsand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
Creeper

WF Supporting Member
 
nycdude777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
Design flaw? Seriously?

This is just a consequence of using a track bar. There's nothing unusual about it and they are widely used. (See here.)

If you lift beyond 2" or so, you just get a longer track bar or (less preferred) a bracket that provides a little extra length. Problem solved.
Exactly, it is a consequence of bad design! It is the simplest solution with a known flaw, which is acceptable, and not easily avoidable, yet its a problem. Extending the track bar is workaround, a compensation to the problem. Not the solution. The fact that its used widely, does not mean its perfect. A solution may be best, relative to all other known solutions, but its not absolute best.
nycdude777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Oh rats, thats why I never graduated from U of WD-


Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude777 View Post
Now I know you're kidding. You're saying you would install runners to allow the track bars to slide back and forth along the axle? Woulnd't that destroy the purpose of the track bar? The track bar is supposed to have rigid fittings at each end, one to the body, one to the shaft, to prevent it from sliding side to side. Having two crossed trackbars would create a tension between them and neither one would be able to move...
Oh the shame ofit all !

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #26
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude777 View Post
Exactly, it is a consequence of bad design! It is the simplest solution with a known flaw, which is acceptable, and not easily avoidable, yet its a problem. Extending the track bar is workaround, a compensation to the problem. Not the solution. The fact that its used widely, does not mean its perfect. A solution may be best, relative to all other known solutions, but its not absolute best.
By this logic, everything would be a "design flaw" unless it represents the pinnacle of functional design notwithstanding cost. And, even then, if it nevertheless still allowed for any adverse issues it would still be a "design flaw."

The track bar comes stock set to the appropriate length. It works absolutely fine and causes no adverse handling characteristics. If you significantly lift the Jeep, the stock track bar will start to become too short and will cause adverse handling characteristics. This is also true of your brake lines, shocks, and sway links.

You can fix the issue by getting a longer track bar to accomodate your lift. Just as you would with brake lines, shocks, or sway links. You could also "go cheap" by just getting a bracket to extend your existing track bar. Also just as you could do with brake lines, shocks, or sway links.

That isn't a "design flaw." It is simply a consequence of the design, which is appropriate, acceptable, and adequate.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #27
Creeper

WF Supporting Member
 
nycdude777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
By this logic, everything would be a "design flaw" unless it represents the pinnacle of functional design notwithstanding cost. And, even then, if it nevertheless still allowed for any adverse issues it would still be a "design flaw."

The track bar comes stock set to the appropriate length. It works absolutely fine and causes no adverse handling characteristics. If you significantly lift the Jeep, the stock track bar will start to become too short and will cause adverse handling characteristics. This is also true of your brake lines, shocks, and sway links.

You can fix the issue by getting a longer track bar to accomodate your lift. Just as you would with brake lines, shocks, or sway links. You could also "go cheap" by just getting a bracket to extend your existing track bar. Also just as you can do with brake lines, shocks, or sway links.

This isn't a "design flaw."
Yes, it is.
nycdude777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
MTH-see what happens when you take the top off-


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
By this logic, everything would be a "design flaw" unless it represents the pinnacle of functional design notwithstanding cost. And, even then, if it nevertheless still allowed for any adverse issues it would still be a "design flaw."

The track bar comes stock set to the appropriate length. It works absolutely fine and causes no adverse handling characteristics. If you significantly lift the Jeep, the stock track bar will start to become too short and will cause adverse handling characteristics. This is also true of your brake lines, shocks, and sway links.

You can fix the issue by getting a longer track bar to accomodate your lift. Just as you would with brake lines, shocks, or sway links. You could also "go cheap" by just getting a bracket to extend your existing track bar. Also just as you could do with brake lines, shocks, or sway links.

That isn't a "design flaw." It is simply a consequence of the design, which is appropriate, acceptable, and adequate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude777 View Post
Yes, it is.
And it rains-

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #29
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdude777 View Post
Yes, it is.
Why? Do Jeep brake lines, shocks, and sway links suffer from a similar "design flaw"? How about the drive shafts, which will also need to be replaced if you lift too much?
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #30
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
MTH-see what happens when you take the top off-






And it rains-

JIMBO
My seats are all wet . . .

__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sub Box Design jwells36 Communications and Electronics 16 12-16-2012 11:36 AM
Input needed for Mud Hole Design & Rock Crawling YellowDog Land Use Forum 4 06-16-2012 03:06 AM
WOW stock driver seat design is stupid rd-wrangler YJ General Discussion Forum 6 07-18-2011 09:08 AM
Jeep's design director wants our questions Trebormojo JK General Discussion Forum 0 04-22-2011 01:53 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC