Unfortunate Jeeper tragedy - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
sandbaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 938
Unfortunate Jeeper tragedy


__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon -Natural green pearlcoat

Nvergiveup
sandbaja is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
2013 Moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sullivan Cnty, NY
Posts: 850
Have a spare set tie wired to the under cartage or in the engine compartment, first thing I do with every vehicle I've owned.

2013 Moab is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
wassup8687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,975
Very sad. I would have broken a window and got my flashlight to look for the keys. Only problem is if you're too drunk to think straight common sense goes out the window.
wassup8687 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
GreenMachine13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,059
Very sad and unfortunate. Had her whole life in front of her.

I'd like to think that I'd go more prepared and not drink alcohol while the possibility of driving is involved but that's easy to say from my couch... I've done some dumb stuff, too.

Be safe!
__________________
|_ ____
/l ,[___],__
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒)»» ▒)--♂-▒)
2013 Wrangler Sport S - Commando Green
6 Speed | Rear LSD | 3.73 Gears | 255/75R17 DuraTrac Tires
GreenMachine13 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
14Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 851
Damn that's sad. Sadly she probably could have left her Jeep unlocked with the keys under the floor mat way out there.
14Sport is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
LewdDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 317
spare key hidden and wired to the jeep. alcohol was not the problem here guys. Don't be high and mighty. this was sad and tragic and could have been prevented with a little preparedness. there are some basic survival skills that could have helped even if the jeep was broken down. glad I was a boy scout, and served my country. The skills I learned in both adventures have served me well throughout my life and teaching my children these skills has been both fun and priceless. My heart goes out to her friends and family...
__________________
"Our culture has accepted two HUGE lies!!! The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love somone you must agree with everything they believe or do!!! BOTH are nonsense!!! You do not have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."

- Rick Warren
LewdDude is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,585
I carry one of these any time I hike:

Amazon.com: Fast Find 220 Plb: GPS & Navigation
i82much is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
GreenMachine13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I carry one of these any time I hike: Amazon.com: Fast Find 220 Plb: GPS & Navigation
That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.
__________________
|_ ____
/l ,[___],__
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒)»» ▒)--♂-▒)
2013 Wrangler Sport S - Commando Green
6 Speed | Rear LSD | 3.73 Gears | 255/75R17 DuraTrac Tires
GreenMachine13 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
trailless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewdDude View Post
spare key hidden and wired to the jeep. alcohol was not the problem here guys. Don't be high and mighty. this was sad and tragic and could have been prevented with a little preparedness. there are some basic survival skills that could have helped even if the jeep was broken down. glad I was a boy scout, and served my country. The skills I learned in both adventures have served me well throughout my life and teaching my children these skills has been both fun and priceless. My heart goes out to her friends and family...
A couple drinks sitting by the fire after a day of hiking is a good way to unwind. However, as the article states, bottles of alcohol is another story. I was a boy scout as well and I can take care of myself in the wild. However, I would never get drunk in the woods.
trailless is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
DownHillTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 63
Damn! I used to live down there. Know that trail very well.

Our thoughts go out to her family.

They found the guy alive in the Jeep???
DownHillTurbo is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
cornfedksboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,007
I think this tragedy was due to alcohol. Both participants were missing shoes and were unable to make the simple decisions to save their lives. You don't necessarily think of day hiking as life or death, but the right set of circumstances came together and tragically ended a life.
cornfedksboy is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
flyfishnevada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Smith, Nevada
Posts: 1,283
Sad and tragic but getting fall down drunk was the problem. I'm sure not being prepared contributed but it was too much to drink that did them in. She was found lying in the snow with one shoe! Their drunken state likely prevented them from making any rational decisions about their survival.

And that's why I bring a survival bag when I'm out. I almost got stuck overnight in sub-freezing weather and though I could have survived, it would have sucked. Now I have all the basics in a backpack, (food, ways to make fire, filter water, knife, first aid etc., etc.) that goes in the Jeep when I'm out and about. Daily, I've got a folding knife, small first aid kit, multitool, emergency water filtration, 550 cord, flashlight, lighter, etc. in a small bag in my center console. I've also got a serious tool bag that goes with me.

That's the lesson, besides going out the the middle of nowhere in the snow and cold and getting dangerously drunk: Be prepared.
__________________
Dan
2014 White Rubicon Unlimited
Teraflex 2.5 lift - Rancho 9000XLs - Rancho CA Brackets -
Pioneer DVD Receiver - Spiderweb Shade - Cobra 75WXST CB Radio
Coming Soon - JCR Offroad Mauler Front Bumper
My Build Thread
flyfishnevada is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 421
Wow, that is very sad!

They make a plastic credit card that is a fold out key. When I first saw this, I didn't think it would work, but the one I had worked for years, many times. It's thin enough to slip in a sock.
Used it when I was diving, swimming, running, mountain biking, etc. Got it from AAA, but I've seen them at hardware stores too.
__________________
JKUR-X Anvil, Auto w/4.10, Block Heater, Painted Dual Top, Side Air Bags, Auto Temp Control, Remote Start, 130 w/U-Connect.
Mods: Front Mopar Mud Flaps, Mopar Door Sill Guards, Tire Cover, Grill Mesh, 9.5 CTi, M-3 Stinger, Cobra 75WXST & Baofeng UV-B5,
60" Extreme Hi-Lift, Yakima Rack & Rocket Box.
Comanche Scott is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 20
I have a lockbox that goes in my hitch receiver. It has a combination lock on it. I always keep a spare key in it. I bought it to hold my keys while I went Scuba diving.
LongRifle45 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Medic1210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rockingham, NC
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 Moab View Post
Have a spare set tie wired to the under cartage or in the engine compartment, first thing I do with every vehicle I've owned.
Just remember to make sure your spare set is chipped, otherwise, the Jeep will crank and then immediately turn back off.
__________________
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
Medic1210 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
2five22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,790
Having a drink just before rack time is fine, but one should never get drunk in the trail. Some people are inclined to do some dumb things when drunk and there is no easily accessed emergency network to intervene when needed.
2five22 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Medic1210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rockingham, NC
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedksboy View Post
I think this tragedy was due to alcohol. Both participants were missing shoes and were unable to make the simple decisions to save their lives. You don't necessarily think of day hiking as life or death, but the right set of circumstances came together and tragically ended a life.
The missing shoes was likely not a result of alcohol, but a stage of severe hypothermia known as paradoxical undressing. Same for the very confused state the companion was found in. The chances of any measurable alcohol still being present in his body the next morning would be minimal.

Paradoxical Undressing
__________________
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
Medic1210 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
k2epm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I carry one of these any time I hike:

Amazon.com: Fast Find 220 Plb: GPS & Navigation

I went this route: Amazon.com: SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger unit, Orange/Black: Sports & Outdoors
k2epm is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,505
Images: 2
Why would she go out looking for keys in the freezing cold? That is silly. I would start a fire, and wait for the day light. I also leave a window slightly rolled down, one inch, in case this happens to me. Many times I've locked my keys in the Jeep, and was able to stick in a twig or a coat hanger and unlock the door. I also keep a blanket in my Jeep. I cant imagine how drunk a person must be to loose a shoe in the freezing cold and then to ignore it. The first thing to do is to find shelter and build a fire. Men are suppose to protect and take care of their woman, that guy was useless. If he was really a man, she would be alive and he would be dead first.

Although I never would hit a woman, but if it was a matter of life or death, I would knock some sense into her, instead of letting her die.
__________________
ChasUGC is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
YJ Nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 429
I really hate how the article points out in the freaking headline that she was a mormon and wasnt supposed to be drinking. Every time something like this happens to someone who's supposed to be religious, its news. i mean, its news that it happened at all, but pointing out that they were being a hypocrite while it happened, just because of their chosen faith, irks me.

Ok, rant mode off. :P

Very tragic, i just want to know what their deal with shoes was? Why was the dude walking around with no shoes, and she was found with one shoe off? And why was the guy dazed? Exposure i guess. One, or both of them should have been able to come up with _something_ to save their lives. I cant say I completely blame the alcohol, but i guess its possible, depending on how much they actually consumed. And who the hell goes for a hike in 17 degree weather?!
__________________
---

YJ enthusiast, JK owner


Hi, I'm Nate, and I'm a jeepaholic.
YJ Nate is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reston, VA
Posts: 337
Ugh, what a horrific way to die. That's terrible.
__________________
2014 JKU||Granite Crystal||Willys Wheeler Edition
willwork4sushi is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Medic1210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rockingham, NC
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ Nate View Post
I really hate how the article points out in the freaking headline that she was a mormon and wasnt supposed to be drinking. Every time something like this happens to someone who's supposed to be religious, its news. i mean, its news that it happened at all, but pointing out that they were being a hypocrite while it happened, just because of their chosen faith, irks me.

Ok, rant mode off. :P

Very tragic, i just want to know what their deal with shoes was? Why was the dude walking around with no shoes, and she was found with one shoe off? And why was the guy dazed? Exposure i guess. One, or both of them should have been able to come up with _something_ to save their lives. I cant say I completely blame the alcohol, but i guess its possible, depending on how much they actually consumed. And who the hell goes for a hike in 17 degree weather?!

The repeated mentions of her Mormon faith and the alcohol prohibition irked me as well. Regarding the missing shoes, see my comment/link above about paradoxical undressing. Regarding the hiking in 17 degree weather, where they were, it's not unlikely to assume the weather wasn't mild/moderate during the day. Temps frequently plunge very low in the mountains.
__________________
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
Medic1210 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #23
xzy
Jeeper
 
xzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toledo
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ Nate View Post
I really hate how the article points out in the freaking headline that she was a mormon and wasnt supposed to be drinking.
Journalism and journalists isn't/aren't what it/they used to be. Add to that virtually \ every news agency has an agenda and many are in the pockets of the government or special interest groups.

These kids were just young and dumb like many their age. No question alcohol played a major roll. They also weren't prepared. If keys lost break a window and get inside. There should have been blankets at minimum. No blankets and don't want to break a window, cut/break plants or branches and get underneath. They could have wrapped themselves together under foliage and waited for the sun to rise. They both would have survived.

It was impaired judgement and inadequate planning. Too bad it happened. People die everyday from doing stupid things. Just make sure you're not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic1210 View Post
The missing shoes was likely not a result of alcohol, but a stage of severe hypothermia known as paradoxical undressing. Same for the very confused state the companion was found in. The chances of any measurable alcohol still being present in his body the next morning would be minimal.

Paradoxical Undressing
That is very good knowledge to know.
xzy is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,505
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic1210 View Post
The repeated mentions of her Mormon faith and the alcohol prohibition irked me as well. Regarding the missing shoes, see my comment/link above about paradoxical undressing. Regarding the hiking in 17 degree weather, where they were, it's not unlikely to assume the weather wasn't mild/moderate during the day. Temps frequently plunge very low in the mountains.
I think people who lack faith, use such mentions as a way to ridicule those of faith. They don't understand that even people of faith, sin. So, they like to call us hypocrites, when actually we are just human, just like them.

The problem for a person of faith is that when they do sin, the results can be disastrous. Free will is a great gift, but it can be our own undoing.
__________________
ChasUGC is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
terrabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 320
I have been blackout drunk, high on acid and god only knows what else countless times in the wilderness. I once free-climbed about 300' of near vertical rock about 80 miles south of Glacier Park - on acid. Prolly logged 1000 miles of trail in NW wilderness including all of the high peaks in Washington state without ever being in serious peril. Hypothermic a few times, torn AC joint once. The primary reason I haven't had any serious trouble. (Knock on wood) because I have always understood this: nature is not cruel - but it is absolutely unforgiving. What happened to this young woman is deeply tragic. It's too bad they weren't a little more prepared. She might still be alive if she had a jacket or a hat.
terrabit is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine13 View Post
That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2epm View Post
Yeah I certainly hope I never have to use my beacon, and I definitely think of it as a last resort. I carry lots of other important tools too, map, compass, emergency blanket, firestarter, matches, GPS, etc. Even if I am only going a mile into the wilderness. You never know, fall and break your femur and that is one heck of a long mile.

I have certainly carried a couple of cold ones to a remote location and celebrated upon arrival, but I cannot remember ever being out of my facilities on drugs or alcohol in a remote location. I guess we each have our own level of risk tolerance.
__________________
2013 CG JKUR. Bought not built.
i82much is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #27
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,969
I didn't see it mentioned...and granted they weren't "wheeling" but I was taught if you go to the "woods", you let someone know when and where and when you will be back. We do that for fishing trips even......we forget there are not cell phones and gas stations on every corner.
jp2611 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #28
xzy
Jeeper
 
xzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toledo
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrabit View Post
I have been blackout drunk, high on acid and god only knows what else countless times in the wilderness. I once free-climbed about 300' of near vertical rock about 80 miles south of Glacier Park - on acid. Prolly logged 1000 miles of trail in NW wilderness including all of the high peaks in Washington state without ever being in serious peril. Hypothermic a few times, torn AC joint once. The primary reason I haven't had any serious trouble. (Knock on wood) because I have always understood this: nature is not cruel - but it is absolutely unforgiving. What happened to this young woman is deeply tragic. It's too bad they weren't a little more prepared. She might still be alive if she had a jacket or a hat.
Physical strength, stamina, and instinct to survive play a major roll in doing stupid stuff and living to tell about it. Less capable people need to plan far better. I could have died numerous times when I was young. I didn't for a lot of reasons luck being one of them. My physical strength and robust health along with a tenacity to survive gave me an edge.

LSD is something better left alone. The same for all drugs. Take it from someone who knows....
xzy is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #29
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SteedGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah - A Jeep Friendly Place
Posts: 1,070
I am Mormon (LDS). We are all given our agency in this life to choose right from wrong. Yes, we are taught to avoid alcohol, tobacco, drugs. That is not the story as much as the author would like to press the Mormon issue. The story is that a young, healthy woman who knew better did something foolish. Her companion was no help either. She probably knew she was taking a risk with this behavior but I am sure neither of them gauged the outdoors correctly. Very sad, very tragic but they both should have known better. If you live here in Utah you know all too well how cold it can get in the mountains this time of year. A second key would be great but it does not take many drinks to even forget where the second key might be.

If you choose to drink in our outdoors do so wisely and always prepare for the worst. Conditions in the mountains can change in minutes.

My love and prayers to all the family and friends.
__________________
Molon Labe - Carry on!
SteedGun is offline   Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
MrMollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Adirondack Mountains
Posts: 56
The story is sad, and the fact she was Mormon has nothing to do with her demise. Alcohol severly restricts the body's ability to thermo-regulate and that was the root cause of their death. A very sad incident for sure.

MrMollusk is offline   Quick Reply
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.



Jeep«, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC