Unleaded vs Premium for JK - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
TomJeepWrang13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rutledge, PA
Posts: 36
Send a message via Yahoo to TomJeepWrang13
Exclamation Unleaded vs Premium for JK

Okay, so another question arose recently. My brother suggested I start using premium gasoline as opposed to regular unleaded for my new 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport, because it'll be better for the engine and so forth. Now, I'm on a budget, and gasoline prices do not obviously care about whether or not people are a budget. So can someone please tell me if using Unleaded is okay for a new Jeep Wrangler. I've used nothing but unleaded in my old car which was a 4 cy. 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan, which ran fine up until I traded it in. Thanks.

- Tom

TomJeepWrang13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
DallasJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJeepWrang13 View Post
Okay, so another question arose recently. My brother suggested I start using premium gasoline as opposed to regular unleaded for my new 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Now, I'm on a budget, and gasoline prices do not obviously care about whether or not people are a budget. So can someone please tell me if using Unleaded is okay for a new Jeep Wrangler. I've used nothing but unleaded in my old car which was a 4 cy. 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan, which ran fine up until I traded it in. Thanks.

- Tom
Waste of money

__________________
My build thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/my...ld-229044.html
DallasJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 6,917
Your brother is wrong.
Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Newb
 
Makalohee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 13
87 Octane is perfect. Save your money for mods. New engines are supposed to do just as well with regular as they would with premium anyway (or so I hear).
Makalohee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
TomJeepWrang13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Rutledge, PA
Posts: 36
Send a message via Yahoo to TomJeepWrang13
Thanks guys!
TomJeepWrang13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Jstraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mercer county
Posts: 229
Images: 5
I get a slight boost in engine performance using mid (89) but I see no difference between any of the premiums... I live in an area where we use 10% ethanol and have suspicions that our 87 is really 85 octane, but who knows?... I just notice the difference because I been fighting with my dealer about the mpg rating and my rig. I see the biggest difference in the winter which I always use mid grade due to the reformulation of fuel during the cool months, I tend to use the 87 in the summer and fall. My jeep liberty is very finicky and is how I learned our fuel isn't as advertised. I think our 89 is Actually 87, I live in a small town so no good fueling stations, only citgo and sheetz.
Jstraw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 'burque
Posts: 9,640
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
mjpjr45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sunset, LA
Posts: 365
Use regular. Using Premium or higher octane fuel is worthless and maybe harmful. The higher the octane rating the higher the fuel's resistance to burning. High octane is used in engines with higher compression or ignition timing set to use it. When using it in engines not setup for it, it will actually not burn as well or completely and cause higher emissions and possibly more build up in the engine. This can cause emissions system problems and possibly valve problems. Save yourself the trouble and the money, use what the owners manual recommends.
__________________
2013 JK Sport 2DR 4.10s, TruTracs Frt. and Rear
Terafllex 2.5" Springs and Shocks, JKS Adj. Track Bars
305/70/17 Terra Grapplers/ Pro Comp 7005s 17x9
mjpjr45 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
George Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 459
In general, high octane fuel is only needed for high compression engines. Your owner's manual will lists the recommended fuel.

The 2013 manual says
"FUEL REQUIREMENTS
3.6L Engine
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent fuel
economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline
having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines."
George Ross is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Dusthol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Williston nd
Posts: 854
I run 91 non ethanol. If I run the 87 I get spark knock. I am also running a k&n filter which lets more air in.
Dusthol is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusthol View Post
I am also running a k&n filter which lets more air in.
In addition to more dust and dirt.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Shifty219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, On, Canada
Posts: 915
As others have said, run the octane specified in the manual. Using a higher octane than recommended is just throwing money away as it will not burn the fuel properly and leave more deposits on valves, cylinder walls and oil.
One thing you should do to help the longevity of your engine is to try and stay away from ethanol enriched fuels (e10). Ethanol is proving to be detrimental to engines not designed/equipped to run this additive. Ive heard its been harder to find stations not selling e10 but the Shells are usually your best bet

If you think running higher than specified octane gives you a boost in power, its usually just a placebo effect or you are in need of a tune up!
__________________

Craig
2013 JKU- Rock Lobster-2.5 Rough Country lift, 17" Ultra's with 35" Kumho KL71
2006 F150 -3inch suspension, 3inch body on 18" procomp 7018 wrapped with Duratracs
2012 Honda CBR
Shifty219 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
ahsumtoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 538
Filter and high octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
In addition to more dust and dirt.
If he is running a cold air intake, I can see where you get more dust but if it is just a replacement filter for the original and the box is closed, I don't see how it could get any more dust than the original.

Many years ago I had a boat with (2) 502 engines in it. The builders told me to run 87 Octane due to the compression of each engine. The builders of my engines said to run the lowest octane you can up until you hear knocking. These builders of my engines also ran top nitro boats and I trust them to know what they are talking about. They also told me I would get better power from a lower octane gas and the engine would run cooler than a higher octane gas. I tried using a higher octane one time and did not achieve better mileage and my top end was off by 4 mgh.
ahsumtoy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
TOK
Jeeper
 
TOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusthol View Post
I run 91 non ethanol. If I run the 87 I get spark knock. I am also running a k&n filter which lets more air in.
I actually posted about this a week or so ago. Since putting on 35's, I was experiencing detonation just below 2000 RPM. Seemed like I was pretty much alone (as far as Pentastar owners go).

It was really hot out and I was running the air, so I'm not sure if it was a perfect storm of heat and load that caused it. I topped off with regular from another gas station to see if I just got crappy fuel. Haven't noticed pinging, but it also hasn't been as hot.
TOK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Plasticpirogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraw View Post
I get a slight boost in engine performance using mid (89) but I see no difference between any of the premiums... I live in an area where we use 10% ethanol and have suspicions that our 87 is really 85 octane, but who knows?... I just notice the difference because I been fighting with my dealer about the mpg rating and my rig. I see the biggest difference in the winter which I always use mid grade due to the reformulation of fuel during the cool months, I tend to use the 87 in the summer and fall. My jeep liberty is very finicky and is how I learned our fuel isn't as advertised. I think our 89 is Actually 87, I live in a small town so no good fueling stations, only citgo and sheetz.
IF you "think our 89 is actually 87" then you need to contact your state office of weights and measures and file a complaint, because they are the ones who test and certify that the fuel at the pump meets the standards.

But here is a little secret....there is no such thing as mid-grade (89 octane) gasoline. Mid-grade is actually mixed at the pump; it's just a blend of regular unleaded and high octane unleaded...seriously. No 18 whee tanker is hauling around mid-grade; they only produce 2 grades of fuel for the retail automotive consumer.
Plasticpirogue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #16
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ross View Post
In general, high octane fuel is only needed for high compression engines. Your owner's manual will lists the recommended fuel.

The 2013 manual says
"FUEL REQUIREMENTS
3.6L Engine
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent fuel
economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline
having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines."
This is all you need to go by, it states in your owners manual that your engine is designed to run it's best with 87 octane.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJeepWrang13 View Post
Okay, so another question arose recently. My brother suggested I start using premium gasoline as opposed to regular unleaded for my new 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport, because it'll be better for the engine and so forth. Now, I'm on a budget, and gasoline prices do not obviously care about whether or not people are a budget. So can someone please tell me if using Unleaded is okay for a new Jeep Wrangler. I've used nothing but unleaded in my old car which was a 4 cy. 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan, which ran fine up until I traded it in. Thanks.

- Tom
No offense, but your brother doesn't know anything about cars...or gas for that matter. Premium gas isn't "better" for anything. It's not like regular has twigs in it, plus has sawdust, and premium is pure unicorn tears. It doesn't work that way. Unless your Jeep is tuned for super (93) use 87. If you live in a state that doesn't have 87 (like Colorado, where the regular is 85) run 89.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraw View Post
I get a slight boost in engine performance using mid (89) but I see no difference between any of the premiums... I live in an area where we use 10% ethanol and have suspicions that our 87 is really 85 octane, but who knows?... I just notice the difference because I been fighting with my dealer about the mpg rating and my rig. I see the biggest difference in the winter which I always use mid grade due to the reformulation of fuel during the cool months, I tend to use the 87 in the summer and fall. My jeep liberty is very finicky and is how I learned our fuel isn't as advertised. I think our 89 is Actually 87, I live in a small town so no good fueling stations, only citgo and sheetz.
I assure you, you are not getting a single ounce of performance by running 89 instead of 87. The only tiny performance gain you are getting is that your jeep weighs a bit less, since you have a lighter wallet.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusthol View Post
I run 91 non ethanol. If I run the 87 I get spark knock. I am also running a k&n filter which lets more air in.
If you are running the correct octane (87) and you get knock, you have much more serious problems. Running a higher octane is NOT a solution.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty219 View Post
As others have said, run the octane specified in the manual. Using a higher octane than recommended is just throwing money away as it will not burn the fuel properly and leave more deposits on valves, cylinder walls and oil.
One thing you should do to help the longevity of your engine is to try and stay away from ethanol enriched fuels (e10). Ethanol is proving to be detrimental to engines not designed/equipped to run this additive. Ive heard its been harder to find stations not selling e10 but the Shells are usually your best bet

If you think running higher than specified octane gives you a boost in power, its usually just a placebo effect or you are in need of a tune up!
This was the case a few years ago. Today, all manufacturers are mandated by law to design fuel systems that suffer no ill effects with a 10% ethanol addition. Mercedes even writes in their manuals that the fuel system is warrantied ONLY against 10% ethanol. Anything higher and they will not honor any fuel system warranty if there is any evidence of ethanol damage. From what I heard, they put that in writing just in case legislators tried to increase the ethanol content of gasoline, and now since passing a law of this nature would void millions of warranties, 10% is where we stand. It is now the norm, the manufacturers are building fuel systems to suffer no ills, so there is no need to worry.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Shifty219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, On, Canada
Posts: 915
I also forgot to add, with the use of e10 to standard fuel you could feel an effect in power difference. The read a lot from the guys who are crazy on logging fuel mileage and all have been showing a up to 3 mpg loss using e10 (ethanol enriched fuel)
__________________

Craig
2013 JKU- Rock Lobster-2.5 Rough Country lift, 17" Ultra's with 35" Kumho KL71
2006 F150 -3inch suspension, 3inch body on 18" procomp 7018 wrapped with Duratracs
2012 Honda CBR
Shifty219 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticpirogue View Post
IF you "think our 89 is actually 87" then you need to contact your state office of weights and measures and file a complaint, because they are the ones who test and certify that the fuel at the pump meets the standards.

But here is a little secret....there is no such thing as mid-grade (89 octane) gasoline. Mid-grade is actually mixed at the pump; it's just a blend of regular unleaded and high octane unleaded...seriously. No 18 whee tanker is hauling around mid-grade; they only produce 2 grades of fuel for the retail automotive consumer.
I have a friend that owns a few gas stations on long island. 89 (midgrade) is a mixture of regular an super. If the proportioning valve that does the mixing is old, broken, etc, you can have a lower (or higher) octane rating that you paid for. It's rare, but it does happen.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #23
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty219 View Post
I also forgot to add, with the use of e10 to standard fuel you could feel an effect in power difference. The read a lot from the guys who are crazy on logging fuel mileage and all have been showing a up to 3 mpg loss using e10 (ethanol enriched fuel)
Meh, not really on a modern, stock, non-turbo vehicle. On a tuned sports car (say a Subaru STI or an Evo) you might notice a slightly...and I mean a marginal performance gain, but not on something like a Wrangler.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Plasticpirogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
I have a friend that owns a few gas stations on long island. 89 (midgrade) is a mixture of regular an super. If the proportioning valve that does the mixing is old, broken, etc, you can have a lower (or higher) octane rating that you paid for. It's rare, but it does happen.
Yup....try telling THAT to the average consumer. lol
Plasticpirogue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Shifty219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, On, Canada
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

This was the case a few years ago. Today, all manufacturers are mandated by law to design fuel systems that suffer no ill effects with a 10% ethanol addition. Mercedes even writes in their manuals that the fuel system is warrantied ONLY against 10% ethanol. Anything higher and they will not honor any fuel system warranty if there is any evidence of ethanol damage. From what I heard, they put that in writing just in case legislators tried to increase the ethanol content of gasoline, and now since passing a law of this nature would void millions of warranties, 10% is where we stand. It is now the norm, the manufacturers are building fuel systems to suffer no ills, so there is no need to worry.
The fuel systems are being upgraded to withstand the rot and corrosion the e10 introduces, but the engines are still the same components. I've seen the damage e10 has been causing to bike engines, now these are more "high strung" than what the average engine is in a car but the effects will still arise
__________________

Craig
2013 JKU- Rock Lobster-2.5 Rough Country lift, 17" Ultra's with 35" Kumho KL71
2006 F150 -3inch suspension, 3inch body on 18" procomp 7018 wrapped with Duratracs
2012 Honda CBR
Shifty219 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Shifty219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, On, Canada
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

Meh, not really on a modern, stock, non-turbo vehicle. On a tuned sports car (say a Subaru STI or an Evo) you might notice a slightly...and I mean a marginal performance gain, but not on something like a Wrangler.
This is from the f150 guys.. the pentastar is more advanced than the ol v8 tritons lol
__________________

Craig
2013 JKU- Rock Lobster-2.5 Rough Country lift, 17" Ultra's with 35" Kumho KL71
2006 F150 -3inch suspension, 3inch body on 18" procomp 7018 wrapped with Duratracs
2012 Honda CBR
Shifty219 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
LMT Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 418
Is there a reason why Arco AM/PM gas is usually cheaper than the other gas stations?
__________________
2013 JK Rubicon White // 6 Speed // 4.10 //
LMT Rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 361
The 3.6 motor has 10.2 compression ratio. Without computer controlled timing you would destroy the motor in one trip to the grocery store using 87 octane. The computer retards timing to compensate for the octane level. If you run a higher octane then the the timing is more advanced and hence more HP. I run 93 all the time not only because of the octane, but because it is the only grade available in NC with no ethanol. I find it worth the price difference.
Xena1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
xzy
Jeeper
 
xzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toledo
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena1 View Post
The 3.6 motor has 10.2 compression ratio. Without computer controlled timing you would destroy the motor in one trip to the grocery store using 87 octane. The computer retards timing to compensate for the octane level. If you run a higher octane then the the timing is more advanced and hence more HP. I run 93 all the time not only because of the octane, but because it is the only grade available in NC with no ethanol. I find it worth the price difference.
That's very interesting. I've never read that before. Do you have a link that would explain it further ?
xzy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #30
TOK
Jeeper
 
TOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzy View Post
That's very interesting. I've never read that before. Do you have a link that would explain it further ?
I'd like to see dyno runs on 87 and 93 that show a difference. I figured the knock sensor retarded timing if it sensed detonation, but didn't increase power if it sensed a lack of it.

TOK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC