Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 110 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #3271
Jeeper
 
Duffyc04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

That is the first step they have to take before swapping the cylinder head.
Not necessarily, I'm having my head replaced and I never had the flash done. Dealer admitted first time I brought it in that the problem was a faulty head. Should have it back tomorrow.

__________________
2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2Dr, 4.10, Warn Elite Bumper, Warn M8000-S
Duffyc04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #3272
Jeeper
 
EricM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathew85

I have it on order; isn't scheduled for production yet. So I hope Chrysler will put in the updated head ?
Oh you should be fine. Your engine probably hasn't been built yet.

__________________
2008 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
2012 GMC Sierra Denali HD Duramax
2013 JK Sahara 2dr
EricM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #3273
Jeeper
 
2013bluerubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: california
Posts: 43
Images: 16
I'M with him
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbaja View Post
I wouldn't freak out and make premature visits to the dealer unless it sounds like the christmas elves are pounding on the inside of your engine. They will just send you home and waste your time. Without a code failure they won't do anything and you will just get angry...avoid the anger. You may not have an issue and there isn't anything preemptive you can do. Relax..think of green meadows and babbling brook streams you are able to visit with your Jeep.
2013bluerubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #3274
Jeeper
 
mathew85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
Oh you should be fine. Your engine probably hasn't been built yet.
Cool
mathew85 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #3275
Haf
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 115
I'm going back to the dealer next week to schedule diagnostics. I don't have abCEL yet, but I do have a loud tick and my gas mileage is 30-35+% lower than it should be. "Just waiting" for the CEL is costing me money. Didn't expect great gas mileage but I do expect to get at least close to the advertised estimated rating. 250 Max driving range and 13 mpg hwy is a far cry from 472 and 21
Haf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #3276
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Live in Huntsville but travel due to work
Posts: 83
Finally had the head go out on mine. 28,562 miles. Guess mine lasted a little longer than most before biting the dust. They did a flash on mine as well, saying it was protocol. I understand they have to but it still seems counter productive if they are 90% sure whats wrong with it in the first place.
__________________
2012 JKU Sport
Disconnected is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #3277
Jeeper
 
aypanthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
Finally had the head go out on mine. 28,562 miles. Guess mine lasted a little longer than most before biting the dust. They did a flash on mine as well, saying it was protocol. I understand they have to but it still seems counter productive if they are 90% sure whats wrong with it in the first place.
Can you provide your jeep's build date and the Julian number that is stamped on your head?
aypanthony is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #3278
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM

Oh you should be fine. Your engine probably hasn't been built yet.
You'll start out with the new flash anyway.
Rabblerouser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #3279
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,548
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
Finally had the head go out on mine. 28,562 miles. Guess mine lasted a little longer than most before biting the dust. They did a flash on mine as well, saying it was protocol. I understand they have to but it still seems counter productive if they are 90% sure whats wrong with it in the first place.
I wonder if you hold the record for the most miles before needing a new head?
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #3280
Jeeper
 
mfaas88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,820
I don't understand how the flash could fix the problem!
__________________
"All I Have In This World Is My Balls And My Words .. And i Dont Break Them For No One"

Too much balls / Not enough brains
mfaas88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #3281
Jeeper
 
Duffyc04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 327
Got my jeep back today after the head replacement. I never realized how smooth it should sound until today....It really purred.

For those wondering, I was pulling code P0306. The service receipt says a few things about the issue:
- Found DTC P0306
- Found Burned Exhaust Valve Seat (no heat issues huh?)
- Replace Left Head
- Decarbed Right Head (This should help alleviate concerns about the non-replaced head being carbonated)

The labor was 9.4 hrs total, but they said it took longer than expected because of the bull bar on my warn elite bumper...Must've been giving them accessibility issues.

The part number I got on the head&valv was RL141353-AC. They also replaced a bunch of gaskets, changed oil and filter, and my transmission fluid (68055894-AA).

Overall pretty painless process since my dealer didn't make me first do a flash before admitting the problem, hopefully this puts it behind me once and for all.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2Dr, 4.10, Warn Elite Bumper, Warn M8000-S
Duffyc04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #3282
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,575
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffyc04 View Post
Got my jeep back today after the head replacement. I never realized how smooth it should sound until today....It really purred.

For those wondering, I was pulling code P0306. The service receipt says a few things about the issue:
- Found DTC P0306
- Found Burned Exhaust Valve Seat (no heat issues huh?)
- Replace Left Head
- Decarbed Right Head (This should help alleviate concerns about the non-replaced head being carbonated)

The labor was 9.4 hrs total, but they said it took longer than expected because of the bull bar on my warn elite bumper...Must've been giving them accessibility issues.

The part number I got on the head&valv was RL141353-AC. They also replaced a bunch of gaskets, changed oil and filter, and my transmission fluid (68055894-AA).

Overall pretty painless process since my dealer didn't make me first do a flash before admitting the problem, hopefully this puts it behind me once and for all.
Good to know...
Glad it went OK for you.

I'm still a bit worried about any long term damage....hopefully everything will turn out OK (or Chrysler extends the warranty).
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #3283
Jeeper
 
geckojk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 93
Images: 7
i think that everyone that owns a wrangler with a pentastar in it is paranoid that follows this thread lol , every one of these engines tick to some extent 2011 thru 2013 , why do you think there is a giant piece of foam under the intake manifold between the valve cover and intake and a giant plastic cover over the engine . THEY TICK lol. Not saying it isn't a problem but i think its getting blown out of proportion as to how many actually have the valve seat issue.
geckojk1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #3284
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckojk1 View Post
i think that everyone that owns a wrangler with a pentastar in it is paranoid that follows this thread lol , every one of these engines tick to some extent 2011 thru 2013 , why do you think there is a giant piece of foam under the intake manifold between the valve cover and intake and a giant plastic cover over the engine . THEY TICK lol. Not saying it isn't a problem but i think its getting blown out of proportion as to how many actually have the valve seat issue.
paranoid for a reason, all 2012s for sure have the potential for a head replacement. they "upgraded" the valve guide and valve material because it was not sufficient on the original head. It was not a bad manufacturing run as speculated previously. certain circumstances will make the issue pop up earlier than others, or not at all. someone just said they almost hit 30k before it went. i personally would want them to change out the head before the warranty runs out, which is why everyone should be aware of the ticking issue.

and my engine after head replacement does not sound anything like the before version. there is no tick from the new head, just injector noise. certainly different noises.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #3285
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: western KY
Posts: 285
And since they are only replacing ONE head, the earlier in the life of he engine the better.
__________________
What if the only things that remained to us today were the things we thanked God for yesterday?
Tomster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #3286
Jeeper
 
geckojk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 93
Images: 7
i still say its like waiting for the world to end , we might not see it happen so why worry about it and if it does happen it will no doubt be in the warranty time frame
geckojk1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #3287
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckojk1 View Post
i still say its like waiting for the world to end , we might not see it happen so why worry about it and if it does happen it will no doubt be in the warranty time frame
oh i agree with you wholeheartedly. worrying about it won't do you any good. but you should be absolutely aware of the issue and what to do in the case that it comes up. and for a lot of people, 5 years isn't enough time to hit the necessary mileage.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #3288
Jeeper
 
vwphibs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pacifica,CA
Posts: 80
Just got my Jeep back today and this is the invoice of work done. Hope it lasts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3596050484.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	173741  
vwphibs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #3289
Jeeper
 
mfaas88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,820
Now why the hell didn't i get a New head?!
__________________
"All I Have In This World Is My Balls And My Words .. And i Dont Break Them For No One"

Too much balls / Not enough brains
mfaas88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #3290
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,548
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
oh i agree with you wholeheartedly. worrying about it won't do you any good. but you should be absolutely aware of the issue and what to do in the case that it comes up. and for a lot of people, 5 years isn't enough time to hit the necessary mileage.
Agreed. Knowledge is power.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #3291
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 182
I wonder what that flash does. Mine has some pinging issues and I'm guessing the flash might change the timing maps but I don't know. It would make sense if the Chrysler statement about fuel quality being one of the causes for the head problem is really true.
Dale_K is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #3292
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
I wonder what that flash does. Mine has some pinging issues and I'm guessing the flash might change the timing maps but I don't know. It would make sense if the Chrysler statement about fuel quality being one of the causes for the head problem is really true.
I think it's the other way around.... the head design and timing maps does not adequately mitigate the potential for certain conditions, i.e. inferior gas, bad weather, stupid people, etc.

I like the way Chrysler blames poor engineering designs on nature...

.
m998dna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #3293
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaas88 View Post
Now why the hell didn't i get a New head?!
Me too! I'm just getting lifters...we are getting burned.I'm not too sure I want this dealer messing with my head anyway.
blondiemachine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #3294
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,575
Images: 13
Half the time I'm scared to check this thread.



I worry that a new post will be about an AC heading needing to be swapped.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #3295
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
Half the time I'm scared to check this thread.



I worry that a new post will be about an AC heading needing to be swapped.
Considering the situation, I would insist Chrysler provides a life-time warranty (parts & labor) on the heads due to the poor design. This goes without mention what it will do to resale values once this is a known issue to the general public.

Toyota was faced with similar issues in the past ... and all they did was wait it out and discontinued the design in a future platform upgrade - leaving the consumers to pick up the tab.

Believe me .. this is quietly being discussed in closed door meetings at Chrysler. The 3.2 Pentastar will be the solution...

.02

.
m998dna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #3296
Jeeper
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
Considering the situation, I would insist Chrysler provides a life-time warranty (parts & labor) on the heads due to the poor design. This goes without mention what it will do to resale values once this is a known issue to the general public.

Toyota was faced with similar issues in the past ... and all they did was wait it out and discontinued the design in a future platform upgrade - leaving the consumers to pick up the tab.

Believe me .. this is quietly being discussed in closed door meetings at Chrysler. The 3.2 Pentastar will be the solution...

.02

.
that would almost guarantee a class action suit AND it would also pretty much guarantee aftermarket vendors stepping up with replacement heads given the number of these motors out there in jeeps, challenger, chargers etc
__________________
2013 JK True Blue 6SP/3.73
johnnyjellybean is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #3297
Six
Jeeper
 
Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Durtburg, WV
Posts: 1,202
Mine has 5000-5200 miles on it and it's ticking pretty loud. I figure the dealer can't do anything about it, but I want to bring it to their attention before I start modifying it so I don't have to deal with a warranty headache.
Six is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #3298
Jeeper
 
rdseefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 82
Chrysler has bet the farm on the 3.6L Pentastar. If they fail to manage the head problem successfully there will be serious damage to their brand image. They know this. The BIG question is "what percent of 3.6L Pentastars are likely to experience the problem?." Chrysler knows the answer to this question as well. The fact that they're NOT talking tells me it's a BIG problem and they're trying to make it look smaller than it is. They seem to be fixing our 2012 vehicles one at a time hoping the problem will eventually go away. They've said 7,500 vehicles are involved. We'll see...... we'll see if the AC head is the solution as well. I just wish they would tell their customers what the facts are. I tend to think its a design flaw and could involve all AA heads. Worse case is Chrysler hasn't really figured it out yet.

I have a 2012 JKUS @7,700 miles and a 2011 T&C @ 12,000, both are tick free so far. It's like waiting for the hammer to fall. I have a cross country trip planned with the T&C and dread the thought of a head failure in the middle of nowhere.
__________________
OııııııO
rdseefeld is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #3299
Six
Jeeper
 
Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Durtburg, WV
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdseefeld View Post
Chrysler has bet the farm on the 3.6L Pentastar. If they fail to manage the head problem successfully there will be serious damage to their brand image. They know this. The BIG question is "what percent of 3.6L Pentastars are likely to experience the problem?." Chrysler knows the answer to this question as well. The fact that they're NOT talking tells me it's a BIG problem and they're trying to make it look smaller than it is. They seem to be fixing our 2012 vehicles one at a time hoping the problem will eventually go away. They've said 7,500 vehicles are involved. We'll see...... we'll see if the AC head is the solution as well. I just wish they would tell their customers what the facts are. I tend to think its a design flaw and could involve all AA heads. Worse case is Chrysler hasn't really figured it out yet.

I have a 2012 JKUS @7,700 miles and a 2011 T&C @ 12,000, both are tick free so far. It's like waiting for the hammer to fall. I have a cross country trip planned with the T&C and dread the thought of a head failure in the middle of nowhere.
And some people like to say that people are just hearing what they want to hear and that it's running normally, but I've had engines apart adjusting valves and I can tell you what a tapping motor sounds like.
Six is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #3300
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,548
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiemachine View Post
Me too! I'm just getting lifters...we are getting burned.I'm not too sure I want this dealer messing with my head anyway.
Don't be surprised when this doesn't fix the problem.

__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC