Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 123 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #3661
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT Rubi View Post
Here is the video I shot today

2013 JK Possible Tick??? - YouTube
Before I get flamed let me say I don't have the best quality sound on my PC. But it sure sounds like you have a tick, and possibly a slight exhaust leak? Maybe someone with better sound on their computer will weigh in. JMO

demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #3662
Jeeper
 
7ekken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 184
no head issues on my new 2013 jeep with 223 miles on it, traded my ticking 12 that already had the head replaced once... I believe it was replaced with another "A" head.

New engine stamp Julian date 3142D .. or pi day .. November the 9th

__________________
2013 JKU Sport Gecko 3.73Auto, Premium Soft Top, Rubi Rails, Ace Rails
7ekken is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #3663
Jeeper
 
Deepjeep1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ekken
no head issues on my new 2013 jeep with 223 miles on it, traded my ticking 12 that already had the head replaced once... I believe it was replaced with another "A" head.

New engine stamp Julian date 3142D .. or pi day .. November the 9th
Did you get hosed on the trade in. Just curious. (no actual numbers needed)
__________________
"There's more to me than you'll ever know"
Deepjeep1371 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #3664
Jeeper
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
Before I get flamed let me say I don't have the best quality sound on my PC. But it sure sounds like you have a tick, and possibly a slight exhaust leak? Maybe someone with better sound on their computer will weigh in. JMO
Disagree....... to me it sounds like typical injector noise. Has not got the rythm or pitch of a valve related tick at all.
__________________
2013 JK True Blue 6SP/3.73
johnnyjellybean is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #3665
Jeeper
 
mackdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tropical Nova Scotia
Posts: 30,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean View Post

Disagree....... to me it sounds like typical injector noise. Has not got the rythm or pitch of a valve related tick at all.
My injectors are not that loud
__________________


-----Donnie---


Do not argue with and idiot......he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!
mackdj1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #3666
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 104
My 12 has a Julian date of 0672B, would that be an ab head? When did ab heads start?
Frogy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #3667
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 231
I wonder what the last letter of the Julian date means. My DS head says 1692A. I have no idea if its the AB head or not. I have seen variations of letters behind the dates on the forums.
simadownow6988 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #3668
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,323
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
Before I get flamed let me say I don't have the best quality sound on my PC. But it sure sounds like you have a tick, and possibly a slight exhaust leak? Maybe someone with better sound on their computer will weigh in. JMO
Its not your PC, its the video. I can make out the injectors firing but not much else. Background noise.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #3669
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 5,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by simadownow6988 View Post
I wonder what the last letter of the Julian date means. My DS head says 1692A. I have no idea if its the AB head or not. I have seen variations of letters behind the dates on the forums.
I think it just indicates what shift it was made on ie A dayshift B nightshift
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #3670
Jeeper
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdj1 View Post
My injectors are not that loud
Your camera's mic is not that sensitive........ that's all. It's definitely not the frequency range nor the rhythm of valve noise
__________________
2013 JK True Blue 6SP/3.73
johnnyjellybean is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #3671
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Its not your PC, its the video. I can make out the injectors firing but not much else. Background noise.

You're right. The more I think about a diagnosis from one of these videos the more it might not be a good idea. Unless the equipment is of high quality on both ends, it's probably not a good idea, at least IMO. It could be a bad head and passed off as an injector, or a harmless injector noise blown out of proportion, and the poor guy thinks he needs a head replacement. A good mechanic listening to the engine can easily tell, and that's probably the best way to get a diagnosis. Or wait for the CEL.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #3672
Jeeper
 
Cruise missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dayton, OH.
Posts: 348
Well, the dealer ordered the passenger head for mine today. I'm driving it until next Monday when they can get it in.

That's right folks, both heads replaced in under 30 days. Didn't have a cell with either one. My Jeep has 17K and change on it and was wearing first gen heads on both sides. It was built in October of '11.

For those who are unsure and spooked by this, you will know if you have Valve seat/guide issues. It sounds like a cheap ink pen tapping on a wooden desk when fully warmed up, and can be heard clearly from 20 feet away from the vehicle.

You shouldn't sweat it, Chrysler is taking care of the ones that are actually bad.
Cruise missile is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #3673
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise missile View Post
Well, the dealer ordered the passenger head for mine today. I'm driving it until next Monday when they can get it in.

That's right folks, both heads replaced in under 30 days. Didn't have a cell with either one. My Jeep has 17K and change on it and was wearing first gen heads on both sides. It was built in October of '11.

For those who are unsure and spooked by this, you will know if you have Valve seat/guide issues. It sounds like a cheap ink pen tapping on a wooden desk when fully warmed up, and can be heard clearly from 20 feet away from the vehicle.

You shouldn't sweat it, Chrysler is taking care of the ones that are actually bad.
I'd prefer to be in your position than mine! at least you have two good heads now. i'll have to wait a few k to see if my passenger side gets louder.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #3674
Jeeper
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
I'd prefer to be in your position than mine! at least you have two good heads now. i'll have to wait a few k to see if my passenger side gets louder.
-----
I agree with you. I am fortunate enough that my wrangler is a weekend driver only which splits time with my Harley.

I may only put 4,000 miles per year on it. It may reach the trouble mileage at the 5 year mark. I purchased 5/1/2012.

I refuse to purchase an extended warranty just because I drive fewer miles than average.
Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #3675
Jeeper
 
wcbardwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 601
Can someone help me out here... Lots of tick... Build date is 1-12... What head do I have... Not sure how people are getting the date.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1441644374.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	184210
wcbardwell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #3676
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbardwell View Post
Can someone help me out here... Lots of tick... Build date is 1-12... What head do I have... Not sure how people are getting the date.

Attachment 184210


7th day of 2012 (Jan 7th, 2012) heads. Pretty sure you have the 1st gen problematic head
simadownow6988 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #3677
Jeeper
 
wcbardwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by simadownow6988

7th day of 2012 (Jan 7th, 2012) heads
So which head would that make it? AA?
wcbardwell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #3678
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,323
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Yes. My head date is like1102 so mid April and AA head.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #3679
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 231
My head is a 1692A. Cant figure out if I have a AA or AB head. Im right in the area where they supposivley changed over to ABs. My jeep was in the inspection stage for 2 weeks, so I wonder if that has something to do with it. Maybe they were making sure the Jeeps with AB heads went through. Dont know.
simadownow6988 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #3680
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz View Post
-----
I agree with you. I am fortunate enough that my wrangler is a weekend driver only which splits time with my Harley.

I may only put 4,000 miles per year on it. It may reach the trouble mileage at the 5 year mark. I purchased 5/1/2012.

I refuse to purchase an extended warranty just because I drive fewer miles than average.
I'm in the same boat. I drive a company vehicle so my Jeep and Harley get very limited use. I'm probably about the same on the Jeep. I'll be putting about 4k a year if that. Which means I may have my head go bad when it's out of warranty. I'll have to trade mine it before that. I'm not paying for the had replacement just because I put low miles on it and I refuse to buy an extended warranty.
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #3681
Jeeper
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post
I'm in the same boat. I drive a company vehicle so my Jeep and Harley get very limited use. I'm probably about the same on the Jeep. I'll be putting about 4k a year if that. Which means I may have my head go bad when it's out of warranty. I'll have to trade mine it before that. I'm not paying for the had replacement just because I put low miles on it and I refuse to buy an extended warranty.
--------

There is another suggested solution which I may use. Prior to the 5 year mark. Make sure to complain about the loud ticking noise so it gets entered on a service ticket and checked. Hopefully by then they will have a TSB on it for the manufacturing dates of defective heads and simply replace them. At the least if it does go bad after the 5 year warranty you can pull the service ticket to show you were concerned before the end of the warranty.

It would be easier if Chrysler would just put a lifetime warranty on the heads that were made during the bad run. The guessing game when we approach the warranty deadline will be bad.

I may dump it before then because I don't want the hassle of dealing with this issue after warranty because Chrysler has refused to say that this date range of heads are bad and these aren't and won't have the problem.

If I have to do that I will only go with high quality manufacturers in the future based on defects per 100 analysis or best used vehicle awards. Chrysler in general has higher than normal defects per 100. Look where Fiat ranks.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/qua...ss-release.htm

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/best-used-cars.html

Being unique is not enough to put up with poor reliability or having to worry if you will have a problem after warranty.

Note: Mine has been great so far but it is less than a year old and all new cars should be great at this point!
Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #3682
Jeeper
 
E-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 131
I received an update from my dealer today. The head still has NOT shipped and the ETA to the dealer is this Friday. WTF?? This is now turning into a 2 week saga. Ugh!

I did call STAR and complained - allot. Sounds like they're going to try to redirect a head from Portland OR down to me in So Cal. But still likely won't get my Jeep back until end of the week at the earliest.

Oh, and I did verify that the head on order IS the AC version.
E-man is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #3683
Newb
 
noise.boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kerrville, TX
Posts: 4
Well, took the 2012 to the dealer yesterday. They checked the ticking on the drivers side and it's the head. :-( Eta on parts is Thursday. Said they'd have it'd done by late next week. That's ten business days. Wow. Not cool. At least it's under warranty.

So the "Sting" build is delayed until it's return next week.
noise.boy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #3684
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
You called star?
saaboo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #3685
Jeeper
 
bignanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 90
Images: 2
The bad heads were a machining defect. The ticking produced was mechanical and had nothing to do with the octane of gas used. I use 87 octane California Gas. (I checked that first, as I once had an older Honda that knocked with low octane gas.) I noticed the ticking at about 5K miles, exactly as shown on Youtube video at the beginning of this thread- left side only. I blew a code at about 9.5K miles, cylinder misfire, and then the dealer replaced left head in one days time. I am now at 18K miles with no problems. Problem fixed.
MFR date 10/11.
__________________
-BK
in the hot hot Mojave with a cool
2012 Winter Chill Arctic Unlimited
bignanoman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #3686
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignanoman View Post
The bad heads were a machining defect. The ticking produced was mechanical and had nothing to do with the octane of gas used. I use 87 octane California Gas. (I checked that first, as I once had an older Honda that knocked with low octane gas.) I noticed the ticking at about 5K miles, exactly as shown on Youtube video at the beginning of this thread- left side only. I blew a code at about 9.5K miles, cylinder misfire, and then the dealer replaced left head in one days time. I am now at 18K miles with no problems. Problem fixed.
MFR date 10/11.
'tis a design defect. they upgraded the valve and valve seat material in the latest revisions.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #3687
Jeeper
 
LMT Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT Rubi View Post
I am truly sorry about the delay fellas but the weather has been bad here in SoCal and had not had the time to get the stamp for you. However today the rain had stopped for a while and it allowed me enough time to check out the stamp and take another video using my wife's HTC one X, which might have a better sound quality.

My date stamp information is the following:

2872A
03080
013000

Here is the video I shot today

2013 JK Possible Tick??? - YouTube

Blastek: did you see my findings? I posted them a page earlier. Let me know what you think.
__________________
2013 JK Rubicon White // 6 Speed // 4.10 //
LMT Rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #3688
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT Rubi View Post
Blastek: did you see my findings? I posted them a page earlier. Let me know what you think.
I don't think i saw that one. It sounds like there's a lot of noise-cancelling on the video, so it's difficult to say. From a quick listen, it seems like injector noise, because the frequency of the noise seems too high.

here's a clear distinct tick. it's relatively slow and you can definitely pick it out over the other noises.


if it sounds like that in person, you may have a tick. Otherwise i'd just keep an ear on it and see if it gets worse. it's always good to mention these things while getting an oil change at the dealer.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #3689
Jeeper
 
LMT Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
I don't think i saw that one. It sounds like there's a lot of noise-cancelling on the video, so it's difficult to say. From a quick listen, it seems like injector noise, because the frequency of the noise seems too high.

here's a clear distinct tick. it's relatively slow and you can definitely pick it out over the other noises.


if it sounds like that in person, you may have a tick. Otherwise i'd just keep an ear on it and see if it gets worse. it's always good to mention these things while getting an oil change at the dealer.
Right on man! Thank you!
__________________
2013 JK Rubicon White // 6 Speed // 4.10 //
LMT Rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #3690
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3
I had the check engine light come on in my 2012 Rubicon. The dealer said they did a firmware update and gave it back to me. The next day, the light came on again. They quickly confessed that the firmware update 'fixes' the problem in only 10% of cases (!), and that I needed a new head. I didn't notice any odd noises, and they said the Jeep was okay to drive until the new head came in. A week later, they called me up and I got the head replaced that day. Free rental, too.

The dealer service guy said he estimates that 25% (!) of the 2012s they sold come back with this problem.

darron is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC