Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 132 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #3931
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
I think there are a few 2013's out there with head issues.
But I would say head date/version is more important than the model year.

A newb on another board posted that his 2013 is going in to get a possible head replacement, but he also stated that he has the AB head.

The head issue spills into 2013!!!

When AC heads start ticking, that is when we have a problem.

So far, issues on AC heads.
I had a feeling there were some engines laying around from the end of the 2012 run that were used in early 2013's. Now unfortunately the waiting game begins to see if the AC heads are any good. I agree with what you said, "When AC heads start ticking, that is when we have a problem. " I really hope they fixed it, but still have doubts.

As a side note when I had my Liberty in for service the tech mentioned "he thought", mind you he wasn't sure, that they had an AD head in the works. If that's true, and I'm not saying it is, then the AC head is NG either. I haven't been able to find any more info on this yet.

demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #3932
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,874
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
I had a feeling there were some engines laying around from the end of the 2012 run that were used in early 2013's. Now unfortunately the waiting game begins to see if the AC heads are any good. I agree with what you said, "When AC heads start ticking, that is when we have a problem. " I really hope they fixed it, but still have doubts.

As a side note when I had my Liberty in for service the tech mentioned "he thought", mind you he wasn't sure, that they had an AD head in the works. If that's true, and I'm not saying it is, then the AC head is NG either. I haven't been able to find any more info on this yet.
That would suck if true....but he may have gotten the left and right heads mixed up (hopefully). The current AD head is on the passenger side....not sure why it is in that order.

__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #3933
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
That would suck if true....but he may have gotten the left and right heads mixed up (hopefully). The current AD head is on the passenger side....not sure why it is in that order.

He sounded pretty sure, but then again wasn't sure. I also read AD was the head on the right side of the engine, so that's good news! We'll know very soon how the AC heads are doing and if there were any other revisions. It sucks that our resident insiders are very tight lipped about this. I guess they can't really comment about it, it might hurt sales.

The good news is Chrysler is trying to take care of this, although some members are a bit disgusted with the process. A good dealer is the key if you have a problem engine.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #3934
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Well, dropped off this a.m, supposedly getting diagnosed first thing Mon.
They left my service ticket open from two weeks ago, when I was getting an oil change and reported the tick, and I noticed the tech wrote on it on the back in sharpie,"Costomer reports tick, noise present, check lifters, diagnose. Possible head replacement".
Armaghroadman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #3935
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignanoman View Post
.. I blew a code at about 9.5K miles, cylinder misfire, and then the dealer replaced left head in one days time.
Whoever your dealer is, I vote Yes for Sainthood.
sickb4st4rd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #3936
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaghroadman View Post
Well, dropped off this a.m, supposedly getting diagnosed first thing Mon.
They left my service ticket open from two weeks ago, when I was getting an oil change and reported the tick, and I noticed the tech wrote on it on the back in sharpie,"Costomer reports tick, noise present, check lifters, diagnose. Possible head replacement".
What year is yours? Thanks.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #3937
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
'12 2dr Sport w/ 14,500 mi.. build date is early Aug I believe..
Armaghroadman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #3938
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
^^ Good luck in getting it resolved^^ I'm sure if you get an AC head you'll be fine!
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #3939
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post

As a side note when I had my Liberty in for service the tech mentioned "he thought", mind you he wasn't sure, that they had an AD head in the works. If that's true, and I'm not saying it is, then the AC head is NG either. I haven't been able to find any more info on this yet.
This may be an overstatement. Manufacturers make revisions all the time, the existence of an AD head would not necessarily imply that the AC head is likely to have problems.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #3940
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
This may be an overstatement. Manufacturers make revisions all the time, the existence of an AD head would not necessarily imply that the AC head is likely to have problems.
What you say could be true in this case, the tech I spoke with was saying it was an actual revised head. But, and I say but, he wasn't 100% sure. He was going to ask the parts guy, who was nowhere to be found and I didn't have the time to hang around. OTOH if there was in fact an improvement to the AC head, we'd have heard about it here, since I was at the dealer in November, and enough time has passed for someone posting in this thread to know about it.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #3941
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
What you say could be true in this case, the tech I spoke with was saying it was an actual revised head. But, and I say but, he wasn't 100% sure. He was going to ask the parts guy, who was nowhere to be found and I didn't have the time to hang around. OTOH if there was in fact an improvement to the AC head, we'd have heard about it here, since I was at the dealer in November, and enough time has passed for someone posting in this thread to know about it.
Yeah I hear you, I'm not saying the AC head doesn't have problems. But, even a revision could be pretty minor or it could fix a major problem. Tough to say.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #3942
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Yeah I hear you, I'm not saying the AC head doesn't have problems. But, even a revision could be pretty minor or it could fix a major problem. Tough to say.

Exactly! All we can do here is take educated guesses, we get zero info from anyone from Chrysler. I'd be willing to guess in the next few months we'll know if the AC heads fixed the problem, or if there is in fact something that replaced the AC head. The fact that some of the early 2013's have the problem was a disappointment to me.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #3943
Jeeper
 
hexarctic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 275
This thread makes my head spin....... Please assist.
12' Arctic jku
Looks as build date was Nov. 11'
Head:
3131b
04530
0010000
No ticking, 21k miles. Just curious. FYI I live in Louisiana=hot climate.
hexarctic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #3944
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
Just wonder you guys that aren't getting codes but notice a tick what are you telling the dealer. I've been 3 times for other stuff too and they said they don't hear it. Last time they said I needed a update on the computer but it didn't change the noise at all
__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #3945
Jeeper
 
wcbardwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli25
Just wonder you guys that aren't getting codes but notice a tick what are you telling the dealer. I've been 3 times for other stuff too and they said they don't hear it. Last time they said I needed a update on the computer but it didn't change the noise at all
You may be hearing injector noise... My tick was very obvious... All I told them was that there was a tick and that I knew Chrysler already came out with a statement saying that it was the first sign for a defective AA head... He asked if I had any CEL... I said no and that I wasn't about to wait around for one as bad as the tick was... The tech said he knows what I mean and that they already knew about the problem (they have been replacing heads for the issue)... He pointed at the driver side with a grin and asked "Tick?"... I grinned back and said "Yeah"... He said he'd take care of me... The rest is history... New AC head and no more tick... The reason I mentioned injector noise is that you CAN still hear the injectors, but the sound is different... I posted a before and after in this thread... The after was on a cold engine, but even given that, there is a considerable difference... Good luck!
wcbardwell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #3946
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
I've heard one in person and I dont think its sounds like a tick. It's a very obvious tapping sound. Somebody here described it like tapping a pencil on a desk which is pretty accurate.
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #3947
Jeeper
 
rdseefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexarctic
This thread makes my head spin....... Please assist.
12' Arctic jku
Looks as build date was Nov. 11'
Head:
3131b
04530
0010000
No ticking, 21k miles. Just curious. FYI I live in Louisiana=hot climate.
I wonder how many '12 JK owners have NOT had a problem and have over 20k miles? This thread makes it seem like virtually all '12 JKs are having heads replaced. That just doesn't seem to be a reasonable scenario or there would have been a recall by now. Right? I live in western NC and know several other '12 owners who have not had a problem. Myself included with a 7/11 build date. Anyone else?
__________________
OııııııO
rdseefeld is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #3948
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 637
Aug 11 build just a little over 18 k miles ..no issues
bengen1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #3949
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
^^ It won't be a recall because as far as Jeep is concerned its not a safety issue. It appears the powers that could deem it a safety issue agree with Jeep. So I don't think it will become a recall issue, at least not for the time being.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #3950
Jeeper
 
rdseefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
^^ It won't be a recall because as far as Jeep is concerned its not a safety issue. It appears the powers that could deem it a safety issue agree with Jeep. So I don't think it will become a recall issue, at least not for the time being.
Good point on the safety angle. It's not lick the 3.6L explodes or seizes. I guess the Feds don't see it as a safety problem. Sure is a mind game if you own one though.
__________________
OııııııO
rdseefeld is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #3951
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
I just had the left head replaced and mine sounds like that, but a bit rougher. That doesn't sound good to me ... on the passenger side I hear it doing bump bump bump bump bump bump. Sounds like a diesel tractor with a blanket thrown over it.

When my Pentastar was new it sounded like silk for 8 months, no bumps, no rumbles, no cycling sounds to be heard when listening to the motor.
sickb4st4rd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #3952
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbardwell View Post
I just got mine back from the dealership...

Before:


...snip...

I want to say it sounds much better... Am I just having a moment of wishful thinking or can I get some backup here? What do you all think?

I want to say that the passenger side sounds loud now... Has anybody experienced this as well?

Me too - I just got it back - it runs well but runs rough and the passenger side is louder bumping now! It's not your imagination. How does it sound in a drive-through?
sickb4st4rd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #3953
Jeeper
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 897
Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #3954
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,874
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz View Post
This is actually a good thing.

It means serious eyes are now aware of this problem. If the author was sent a link to this thread...and that was mentionen in a follow up review....
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #3955
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
^^ Good luck in getting it resolved^^ I'm sure if you get an AC head you'll be fine!
Thanks.
Well I called the service dept. today, and was immediately put thru to the Head mech.(without asking) who said,"I have it tore down, and we will be installing a new left side head, and lifters".
I asked did he know if it was an AC, AB or an AC head, he said,"hold on", and put me thru to Parts Dept, I was on hold for 3 mins, guy came back and said," You have a left side AC head and a set of lifters coming in, should be here tomorrow".
Then I was put back to the mech. who told me," if the parts come in, I will have it ready Friday evening".
Running the risk of jinxing myself here, but it sounds like they are all over this.
The warm fuzzy feeling may not be coming back, but I think this dealer is doing the right thing here...
Armaghroadman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #3956
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
It's official, I will be bringing in mine on Monday to have the heads replaced.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #3957
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaghroadman View Post
Thanks.
Well I called the service dept. today, and was immediately put thru to the Head mech.(without asking) who said,"I have it tore down, and we will be installing a new left side head, and lifters".
I asked did he know if it was an AC, AB or an AC head, he said,"hold on", and put me thru to Parts Dept, I was on hold for 3 mins, guy came back and said," You have a left side AC head and a set of lifters coming in, should be here tomorrow".
Then I was put back to the mech. who told me," if the parts come in, I will have it ready Friday evening".
Running the risk of jinxing myself here, but it sounds like they are all over this.
The warm fuzzy feeling may not be coming back, but I think this dealer is doing the right thing here...
Sounds like they're doing the right thing by you! Good luck, hopefully it goes without a hitch, and you drive it without issues until you get tired of it and want a new one to replace it.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #3958
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
bo9roadking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 649
Finally got my JK back from the dealer. Head was replaced with an AC head according to the parts list on the work order. The stamp on the head is 2732, so I'm guessing that is the 273rd day of 2012 (September 30th), which sounds correct for an AC head. I guess only time will tell if this head will last longer than 14,000 miles like the last one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	196510
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
bo9roadking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #3959
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
Finally got my JK back from the dealer. Head was replaced with an AC head according to the parts list on the work order. The stamp on the head is 2732, so I'm guessing that is the 273rd day of 2012 (September 30th), which sounds correct for an AC head. I guess only time will tell if this head will last longer than 14,000 miles like the last one.
How do you find that? I've read all the directions on where to look for the date but without proper engine term knowledge, its not helping me locate it. :/
Siren Assassin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #3960
Jeeper
 
EricM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siren Assassin

How do you find that? I've read all the directions on where to look for the date but without proper engine term knowledge, its not helping me locate it. :/
I posted it a while back. Rest your chin on the drivers side fender just ahead of the master cylinder. Look at the center of the head behind a plastic connector (shine a flashlight on it) and you'll see a laser etched set of numbers. The top row is the Julian date

__________________
2008 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
2012 GMC Sierra Denali HD Duramax
2013 JK Sahara 2dr
EricM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 12:43 PM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 06:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 11:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 05:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 04:20 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC