Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 143 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #4261
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,299
you non-replacement head guys better start racking up some miles My gut says it's going to be a near 100% failure rate past a certain mileage :o

Not a good sign when dealers are stocking heads as if they were air filters.

__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #4262
Jeeper
 
jaydraeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb1boxer_3 View Post
Wow almost 30k. It's good that they didn't take forever lk mine your almost out of warranty

100,000 powertrain warranty. Plenty of mileage left.

jaydraeger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #4263
Jeeper
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
you non-replacement head guys better start racking up some miles My gut says it's going to be a near 100% failure rate past a certain mileage :o

Not a good sign when dealers are stocking heads as if they were air filters.
Going in tomorrow morning for some other warranty work as well as for them to "diagnose" the ticking sound from the driver's side head on my 2012. Currently about 6300 miles on it, but it started ticking about 3500-4000 miles or so. Tick is gradually getting louder and my fuel economy (what little a JK has) is getting worse.

Hope that they deal with it nicely instead of making me go nuclear on them. Nicely makes all the difference in what I tell people when they ask how I like my Jeep (hey Chrysler -- hint -- hint).
Gort is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #4264
Jeeper
 
socal-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 531
Correct me if im wrong, but this is a 100k/5 year powertrain item.
__________________
2012 JK, Rock Krawler 2.5, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex lower arms/track bars, Currie anti-rock, VDP stubby caps, Black Rock 909D's 285/70/17 Duratracss, Magnaflow ypipe and competition exhaust, 10a.e. Rubicon rear bumper, SRC sliders, G2 diff armor, H4 headlights and some other stuff....
2014 VW Jetta/1989 325i sleeper project/1968 house
socal-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #4265
Jeeper
 
Rb1boxer_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: corpus christi
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydraeger

100,000 powertrain warranty. Plenty of mileage left.
Ahh ok I was thinking bumper to bumper warranty.
Rb1boxer_3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #4266
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,299
they would be downright diabolical if they didn't cover this outside of the warranty within reason.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #4267
Jeeper
 
jaydraeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
they would be downright diabolical if they didn't cover this outside of the warranty within reason.
Agreed. Even if you go beyond the 100,000 / 5. I've had Chrysler foot the bill for warranty work on Jeeps well outside the regular warranty. They are usually pretty willing to do so. For something like this that's a known national issue, I bet they have a lot of grace period available.
jaydraeger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #4268
Jeeper
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 318
Ok, just got the word from the dealer. "Cannot reproduce problem -- normal valve train noise". After hearing this, I asked him if it was supposed to sound like that on only one side of the engine? No response.

Apparently they're going to make me wait until it pukes on itself.

Time to go nuclear...
Gort is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #4269
Jeeper
 
socal-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Ok, just got the word from the dealer. "Cannot reproduce problem -- normal valve train noise". After hearing this, I asked him if it was supposed to sound like that on only one side of the engine? No response.

Apparently they're going to make me wait until it pukes on itself.

Time to go nuclear...
Call Chrysler and lodge an official "I know my vehicle isnt supposed to do this and I want it fixed" complaint.
__________________
2012 JK, Rock Krawler 2.5, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex lower arms/track bars, Currie anti-rock, VDP stubby caps, Black Rock 909D's 285/70/17 Duratracss, Magnaflow ypipe and competition exhaust, 10a.e. Rubicon rear bumper, SRC sliders, G2 diff armor, H4 headlights and some other stuff....
2014 VW Jetta/1989 325i sleeper project/1968 house
socal-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #4270
Jeeper
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal-jk View Post
Call Chrysler and lodge an official "I know my vehicle isnt supposed to do this and I want it fixed" complaint.
I've been thinking about that. I've generally had good results the few times that I've had to contact customer care. I've found that if I'm polite and reasonable, but insistent, they tend to work with me.

I may put another 5K or so on it before calling with the hope that it gets even louder so that it can no longer be ignored (or throws a code, which would be perfect). I'm also going to start documenting, on video, the problem.

I might add that the dealer that I took it to is the same dealer that, 3 times in a row, couldn't "reproduce" the blown head gasket on my Grand Cherokee (one would think that sucking the overflow reservoir dry every 2 days would have been a clue -- just sayin'). I even asked them to specifically check the head gasket and do a compression test, which they failed to do each time. But that's a whole different story for another thread.
Gort is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #4271
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
I've been thinking about that. I've generally had good results the few times that I've had to contact customer care. I've found that if I'm polite and reasonable, but insistent, they tend to work with me.

I may put another 5K or so on it before calling with the hope that it gets even louder so that it can no longer be ignored (or throws a code, which would be perfect). I'm also going to start documenting, on video, the problem.

I might add that the dealer that I took it to is the same dealer that, 3 times in a row, couldn't "reproduce" the blown head gasket on my Grand Cherokee (one would think that sucking the overflow reservoir dry every 2 days would have been a clue -- just sayin'). I even asked them to specifically check the head gasket and do a compression test, which they failed to do each time. But that's a whole different story for another thread.
Hopefully you won't be out in the middle of death valley or something when it decided to explode.
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #4272
Jeeper
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
Hopefully you won't be out in the middle of death valley or something when it decided to explode.
That's the beauty of the Pentastar -- it can apparently drop a cylinder and still run. This is probably why it's not a "safety issue" and hence not subject to a recall.
Gort is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #4273
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
That's the beauty of the Pentastar -- it can apparently drop a cylinder and still run. This is probably why it's not a "safety issue" and hence not subject to a recall.
let's see how the thing does if it drops a valve at 80mph in heavy bumper to bumper traffic.
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #4274
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,299
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
let's see how the thing does if it drops a valve at 80mph in heavy bumper to bumper traffic.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #4275
Jeeper
 
JeepBugs7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
let's see how the thing does if it drops a valve at 80mph in heavy bumper to bumper traffic.

Dude I think you have more serious issues if you're doing 80mph in bumper to bumper traffic!
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Blue Pearlcoat
JeepBugs7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #4276
Jeeper
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
let's see how the thing does if it drops a valve at 80mph in heavy bumper to bumper traffic.
I don't disagree with your sentiment, however my understanding from reports of those with the misfire is that the thing still runs fine, but with a little less power. So apparently I'm stuck waiting for a code or talking to Chrysler.
Gort is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #4277
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
I don't disagree with your sentiment, however my understanding from reports of those with the misfire is that the thing still runs fine, but with a little less power. So apparently I'm stuck waiting for a code or talking to Chrysler.

If you're hearing the tick bring it and bitch up a storm. They know damn well these engines have problems. At least that way with any luck you'll get the problem resolved, sooner rather than later.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #4278
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Ok, just got the word from the dealer. "Cannot reproduce problem -- normal valve train noise". After hearing this, I asked him if it was supposed to sound like that on only one side of the engine? No response.

Apparently they're going to make me wait until it pukes on itself.

Time to go nuclear...
That's dealer talk for " we are going to screw you around for as long as we can". Complain to Chrysler nicely but don't take no....
__________________
2013 WRANGLER SPORT 2 DR., V-6 ,AUTO,HARD TOP
(Sold)1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, Bestop top
/w steel half door and slider windows
5 speed, 2.5" lift, 31" tires,rack lights
Garyk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #4279
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBugs7 View Post
Dude I think you have more serious issues if you're doing 80mph in bumper to bumper traffic!
sometimes it is either that or don't drive. One minute 80mph the next 30mph
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #4280
Jeeper
 
rethyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 60
went into the dealer the other day for regular service and ended up talking to the service manager about general issues and he mentioned an interesting tidbit. basically if I had brought in the jeep at any time for a potential ticking noise and they were not able to replicate it, the incident would be kept on record and I could then bring in the jeep and get the heads replaced under warranty work even if I was past warranty. something about the problem being noted while it was still in the warranty period. not sure if it's just canadian dealers, or mine specifically, but it might be worth it to ask the service manager about that if you get the typical BS of normal operating noise.
__________________
ordered on 02-13-2012:: 2012 JKR ( 430N+Uconnect, black hard top, 6speed )
picked up 04-07-2012:: aww giggidy...
mods so far: ACE rails / K&N drop in air filter
rethyk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #4281
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
basecamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
I've been thinking about that. I've generally had good results the few times that I've had to contact customer care. I've found that if I'm polite and reasonable, but insistent, they tend to work with me.

I may put another 5K or so on it before calling with the hope that it gets even louder so that it can no longer be ignored (or throws a code, which would be perfect). I'm also going to start documenting, on video, the problem.

I might add that the dealer that I took it to is the same dealer that, 3 times in a row, couldn't "reproduce" the blown head gasket on my Grand Cherokee (one would think that sucking the overflow reservoir dry every 2 days would have been a clue -- just sayin'). I even asked them to specifically check the head gasket and do a compression test, which they failed to do each time. But that's a whole different story for another thread.
Time for a new dealer?
__________________
2012 JKUR Black Forest Green
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/bas...ld-128626.html
basecamper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #4282
Jeeper
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamper View Post
Time for a new dealer?
No need to hide -- I've been considering that as well.

I've bought every one of my Jeeps for the past 20 years from this place -- even the same salesman. I've built up a LOT of goodwill with them, and the sales and parts side of the house bends over backwards for me on a lot of issues. They are truly a good bunch of people.

But as good to me as the sales side of the house is, the service side sucks horribly and can't seem to find their a** with both hands. (See my GC head gasket issue mentioned earlier).

There was one other dealer in the area that was relatively honest and had a GREAT service department (albeit a mediocre sales side). That's who finally was willing and able to actually diagnose the head gasket issue for me instead of sitting on their hands for an hour and saying they can't reproduce it. So my routine, until a few years ago, was to buy from one dealer and have any dealer service done at the other dealer. "Win-win" as the saying goes.

Unfortunately the great Obama Purge of car dealers that donated money to his political opponents took care of that solution.
Gort is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #4283
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
So my routine, until a few years ago, was to buy from one dealer and have any dealer service done at the other dealer. "Win-win" as the saying goes.

Unfortunately the great Obama Purge of car dealers that donated money to his political opponents took care of that solution.


I wish the same was true here. In my neck of the woods when it comes to new cars the dealers only want to service cars they sold. They have no problem asking where you bought the car. Then when you tell them somewhere else, they tell you they can't see you for a month or more and suggest you go back to the dealer that sold you the car for warranty work. Lying doesn't work because they ask for the vin# when you make an appointment, and know from that the selling dealer. So even though Chrysler says it can be serviced anywhere, they don't guarantee how long you'll have to wait. OTOH if you break down in another state its no problem getting service.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #4284
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
I wish the same was true here. In my neck of the woods when it comes to new cars the dealers only want to service cars they sold. They have no problem asking where you bought the car. Then when you tell them somewhere else, they tell you they can't see you for a month or more and suggest you go back to the dealer that sold you the car for warranty work. Lying doesn't work because they ask for the vin# when you make an appointment, and know from that the selling dealer. So even though Chrysler says it can be serviced anywhere, they don't guarantee how long you'll have to wait. OTOH if you break down in another state its no problem getting service.
I found that dealers are more receptive if you get routine maintenance done there, then if a warranty issue comes up, you are in their computer and they know you.
__________________
2013 WRANGLER SPORT 2 DR., V-6 ,AUTO,HARD TOP
(Sold)1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, Bestop top
/w steel half door and slider windows
5 speed, 2.5" lift, 31" tires,rack lights
Garyk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #4285
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyk View Post
I found that dealers are more receptive if you get routine maintenance done there, then if a warranty issue comes up, you are in their computer and they know you.
I hear ya! I feel the less I see the dealer the better, especially the rip off artists for dealers we have around here.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #4286
Jeeper
 
Rb1boxer_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: corpus christi
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post

I've been thinking about that. I've generally had good results the few times that I've had to contact customer care. I've found that if I'm polite and reasonable, but insistent, they tend to work with me.

I may put another 5K or so on it before calling with the hope that it gets even louder so that it can no longer be ignored (or throws a code, which would be perfect). I'm also going to start documenting, on video, the problem.

I might add that the dealer that I took it to is the same dealer that, 3 times in a row, couldn't "reproduce" the blown head gasket on my Grand Cherokee (one would think that sucking the overflow reservoir dry every 2 days would have been a clue -- just sayin'). I even asked them to specifically check the head gasket and do a compression test, which they failed to do each time. But that's a whole different story for another thread.
Take it in ASAP and have them fix it. I'm trying to get my lemoned the service manager told me to do it cause I've taken it more than 8 times already after my cylinder head got replaced and now there trying to say I'm past the mileage and time limit of getting it lemoned. So the sooner the better just incase it happens to you.
Rb1boxer_3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #4287
Jeeper
 
jaydraeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post

If you're hearing the tick bring it and bitch up a storm. They know damn well these engines have problems. At least that way with any luck you'll get the problem resolved, sooner rather than later.
Just ask them to do a leak down test.
jaydraeger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #4288
Jeeper
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydraeger View Post
Just ask them to do a leak down test.
not an easy job with the Pentastar because of the spark plug covers.
__________________
2013 JK True Blue 6SP/3.73
johnnyjellybean is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #4289
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydraeger View Post
Just ask them to do a leak down test.

W/O a CEL its a crap shoot if they'll do it or not, it all depends on the dealership.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #4290
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Or maybe call a few different dealerships nearby, tell them upfront that you have a ticking Pentastar, the dealer you bought it from is not familiar with the problem (be polite), and that the place you are calling were recommended by "Joe" at work for great service..

Armaghroadman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC