Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 146 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #4351
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
Well my check engine light came on. I brought it in to the dealer for service and was told "cylinder 2 misfire, we'll be replacing the cylinder head". At least they fixed it in 2 days. Is this a problem that builds up over time with the engine gradually losing power until it finally throws a code? I don't remember my jeep ever running as strong or clean as it is now post surgery. Btw it's a 2012 unlimited sport s with about 18,000 miles.

UnJKlimited is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #4352
Jeeper
 
hwy1rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnJKlimited View Post
Well my check engine light came on. I brought it in to the dealer for service and was told "cylinder 2 misfire, we'll be replacing the cylinder head". At least they fixed it in 2 days. Is this a problem that builds up over time with the engine gradually losing power until it finally throws a code? I don't remember my jeep ever running as strong or clean as it is now post surgery. Btw it's a 2012 unlimited sport s with about 18,000 miles.
Mine had just under 10K. This must be costing Chrysler a bundle.

hwy1rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #4353
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 45
Just had mine done last week. Only 6,100 miles, engine light came on then, time for a new head. Crazy.
Sam_b is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #4354
Jeeper
 
unionjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Matthews, NC
Posts: 188
Tick tick tick...quiet

Had mine done 2 weeks ago. Mine never threw a code, just ticked real loud. I didn't really realized how loud until I heard how quiet it is now. After the head replacement, they had to replace the water pump. That's four major repairs now.

BTW-I complained to Chrysler about mine being out of service for 16 days total with repairs. I asked for an extended warranty but they refused...said they had fixed everything. They are sending me 4 free oil changes. That's something anyway. So call the customer service number and tell them how inconvenient it is to miss work and have to take your Jeep in for repairs.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------
“May you always have a Beer in your Hand, Toes in the Sand, and a Cheeseburger in Paradise!” -- Jimmy Buffett
unionjewel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #4355
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
Cylinder misfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnJKlimited View Post
Well my check engine light came on. I brought it in to the dealer for service and was told "cylinder 2 misfire, we'll be replacing the cylinder head". At least they fixed it in 2 days. Is this a problem that builds up over time with the engine gradually losing power until it finally throws a code? I don't remember my jeep ever running as strong or clean as it is now post surgery. Btw it's a 2012 unlimited sport s with about 18,000 miles.
I also have a 2012 Sport S, purchased in February 2012. I drove it off the lot with 31 miles on it. The CEL first appeared on May 16, 2012 (~8000 miles). Dealer performed a flash for misfire cylinder #2. CEL again appeared, May 21 (8900 miles). Same 'repair' made. CEL on again June 1 (10400 miles), again code for #2 misfire, code P0302. They determined, finally, that the cylinder head needed to be replaced. The part was on backorder (imagine that!) and the replacement was finally complete on June 20. They had the vehicle for just under 3 weeks.

CEL on July 10, 2012. Jeep stalled out at red light, started right back up again immediately and CEL was no longer illuminated.

CEL on Oct. 5, 2012 (23000 miles). Flash performed for P0108.

CEL on February 25th (not sure on the mileage - maybe about 34000). Made appointment for 3 days later, and the light went off after 2 days. Appointment cancelled due to snowstorm.

CEL on March 7, 2013 (35000 miles). Flash performed for P0300 and P0306.

I contacted Jeep and told them I wanted out of the vehicle. Yes, I drive a LOT - I acknowledge this. However, regardless of this fact, I began having problems with this after 8900 miles, and it's been every couple of months since then. If I was driving a beater around town, that's one thing. But I can't continue taking 1/2 off from work for these repairs. And, with the amount of miles I drive, I can't risk getting out of warranty and then having to actually PAY for these repairs that are currently covered.

At any rate, as I mentioned, I contacted Jeep last Thursday. They pulled my repair record and acknowledged that it's frustrating, but wouldn't state that this is a common problem with this year/model. Each time I've spoken with someone - whether I called them or they called me - I was told that my 'case has been bumped up to the next level.' (This was 3 separate times on Thursday, twice on Friday and then once on Saturday). I received a call from a case manager on Monday morning who said he was doing 'research' and would call me back on Wednesday (today). I waited until about 3pm for him to call, then called him and left a message. He called me back a few minutes ago and acted like he was doing me a favor by calling me to check in. He stated that my case is being processed by the District Manager and he would call me back 'no later than Friday, or at the very latest on Monday.' We'll see.

My point is, don't get too excited about the cylinder head being replaced and assume that your troubles are over. I suppose the benefit of driving as many miles as I do is that the problems quickly arise, rather than a couple years between each one when you wouldn't normally assume they were associated with one another.
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #4356
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post
I also have a 2012 Sport S, purchased in February 2012. I drove it off the lot with 31 miles on it. The CEL first appeared on May 16, 2012 (~8000 miles). Dealer performed a flash for misfire cylinder #2. CEL again appeared, May 21 (8900 miles). Same 'repair' made. CEL on again June 1 (10400 miles), again code for #2 misfire, code P0302. They determined, finally, that the cylinder head needed to be replaced. The part was on backorder (imagine that!) and the replacement was finally complete on June 20. They had the vehicle for just under 3 weeks.

CEL on July 10, 2012. Jeep stalled out at red light, started right back up again immediately and CEL was no longer illuminated.

CEL on Oct. 5, 2012 (23000 miles). Flash performed for P0108.

CEL on February 25th (not sure on the mileage - maybe about 34000). Made appointment for 3 days later, and the light went off after 2 days. Appointment cancelled due to snowstorm.

CEL on March 7, 2013 (35000 miles). Flash performed for P0300 and P0306.

I contacted Jeep and told them I wanted out of the vehicle. Yes, I drive a LOT - I acknowledge this. However, regardless of this fact, I began having problems with this after 8900 miles, and it's been every couple of months since then. If I was driving a beater around town, that's one thing. But I can't continue taking 1/2 off from work for these repairs. And, with the amount of miles I drive, I can't risk getting out of warranty and then having to actually PAY for these repairs that are currently covered.

At any rate, as I mentioned, I contacted Jeep last Thursday. They pulled my repair record and acknowledged that it's frustrating, but wouldn't state that this is a common problem with this year/model. Each time I've spoken with someone - whether I called them or they called me - I was told that my 'case has been bumped up to the next level.' (This was 3 separate times on Thursday, twice on Friday and then once on Saturday). I received a call from a case manager on Monday morning who said he was doing 'research' and would call me back on Wednesday (today). I waited until about 3pm for him to call, then called him and left a message. He called me back a few minutes ago and acted like he was doing me a favor by calling me to check in. He stated that my case is being processed by the District Manager and he would call me back 'no later than Friday, or at the very latest on Monday.' We'll see.

My point is, don't get too excited about the cylinder head being replaced and assume that your troubles are over. I suppose the benefit of driving as many miles as I do is that the problems quickly arise, rather than a couple years between each one when you wouldn't normally assume they were associated with one another.
Unfortunately, you had your cylinder head replaced with the same defective part. The revision that so far has no known failures came out in mid-july (part number ending in AC). The dealer has been wasting your time with the CEL re-flashing.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #4357
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
How can I tell? I have the paperwork, but I'm not sure what part to look for to see what the number ends in? There are 18 "parts" on that repair date (although some of the "parts" are oil, antifreeze, etc). Which one should I be checking?
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #4358
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,029
Check the part number for the cylinder head and post it. Someone here will know if its an AA, AB, or AC head.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #4359
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
RL141353AA head - engine cylinder
5184455AG gasket - cylinder head
5184562AC - gasket - intake manifold

there are also a bunch of other gasket/cylinder/intake parts that end in either AA, AE or AC.

oh: and thanks! you guys are great. I wish I had known about this forum a year ago..
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #4360
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post
RL141353AA head - engine cylinder
5184455AG gasket - cylinder head
5184562AC - gasket - intake manifold

there are also a bunch of other gasket/cylinder/intake parts that end in either AA, AE or AC.

oh: and thanks! you guys are great. I wish I had known about this forum a year ago..
Yup, AA - same defective head part number. The new one ends with AC. They upgraded the valves and valve seat material in the latest revision.

A number of people have had multiple head replacements. Unfortunately it took them a long time before they introduced a fix.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #4361
Jeeper
 
hwy1rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post
RL141353AA head - engine cylinder
5184455AG gasket - cylinder head
5184562AC - gasket - intake manifold

there are also a bunch of other gasket/cylinder/intake parts that end in either AA, AE or AC.

oh: and thanks! you guys are great. I wish I had known about this forum a year ago..

What about the lemon law for your case?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
Yup, AA - same defective head part number. The new one ends with AC. They upgraded the valves and valve seat material in the latest revision.

A number of people have had multiple head replacements. Unfortunately it took them a long time before they introduced a fix.
Thanks for the information, after reading your statement I went out and checked my RO and it indicates I got the updated head. RL141353-AC, we'll just have to see how it goes.
hwy1rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #4362
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
[QUOTE=hwy1rubi;3499429]What about the lemon law for your case?



Lemon Law in Massachusetts only applies to the first 15,000 miles..
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #4363
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
Anddd, here we go again. My CEL just came on again. So disappointed.
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #4364
Jeeper
 
hwy1rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 643
[QUOTE=ekdigdirt;3502364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy1rubi View Post
What about the lemon law for your case?



Lemon Law in Massachusetts only applies to the first 15,000 miles..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post
Anddd, here we go again. My CEL just came on again. So disappointed.
So to hear that. Rather than to let it stress you out unload it, trade it in, move on.
hwy1rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #4365
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
Man Ekdigdirt sorry to hear your troubles. That really sucks. You made me nervous so I checked my paperwork and it says AC at the end of my part number for the cylinder head. As much as I love this jeep, if I start having your troubles I'll trade it in.
UnJKlimited is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #4366
Jeeper
 
hwy1rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 643
[QUOTE=hwy1rubi;3503922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post



So to hear that. Rather than to let it stress you out unload it, trade it in, move on.
Edit: "sorry" not "so" left off a few letters.
hwy1rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #4367
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
Yeah, it does suck. I can't trade it in without taking a significant hit financially thanks to the amount of miles I drive per year. Besides, who would take a 2012 with CEL on as a trade?

I contacted Jeep and left 3 message on my case manager's voicemail. I contacted the dealership repair center and the service manager said 'I'm going to send this over to my tech guys. I honestly don't know what to do with you.'

I'm past the point of being pissed off. I'm disappointed, because I love this vehicle, but I can't afford to keep taking time off from work to deal with this issue. I don't like being blown off all day by my case manager who promised me on Monday he would 'take good care' of me. It's just a bad, disappointing situation.
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #4368
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post
Yeah, it does suck. I can't trade it in without taking a significant hit financially thanks to the amount of miles I drive per year. Besides, who would take a 2012 with CEL on as a trade?

I contacted Jeep and left 3 message on my case manager's voicemail. I contacted the dealership repair center and the service manager said 'I'm going to send this over to my tech guys. I honestly don't know what to do with you.'

I'm past the point of being pissed off. I'm disappointed, because I love this vehicle, but I can't afford to keep taking time off from work to deal with this issue. I don't like being blown off all day by my case manager who promised me on Monday he would 'take good care' of me. It's just a bad, disappointing situation.
There's no question what your problem and solution is. Your second head failed because it was again, a defective AA part number. There is a design flaw in that head that causes multiple misfires on the left bank (cylinders 2, 4, 6). That is a fact.

The only way to fix it is to install the latest revision cylinder head ending with part AC. Tell them to get off their asses and get it done immediately. There is no question whatsoever.

Chrysler customer care really isn't the best. My dealer has a STAR case open right now for a repeat repair on my transmission. They are basically refusing to acknowledge the problem and attempt repair #3. I'm assuming this is because it would qualify for the lemon law if the repair fails (which at this point is likely).
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #4369
Jeeper
 
BigManAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Posts: 719
I'm still patiently awaiting the CEL or tick. Trying to not think about it helps a lot. 9/11/11 build, 13k miles.

I'd like to know a actual % of how many heads have been replaced! Gotta be getting up there now.
BigManAndy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #4370
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigManAndy View Post
I'm still patiently awaiting the CEL or tick. Trying to not think about it helps a lot. 9/11/11 build, 13k miles.

I'd like to know a actual % of how many heads have been replaced! Gotta be getting up there now.
IIRC they were failing at a rate of about 500 per week, its somewhere in this thread or out on the net. Will they all fail? Probably not but I'd be willing to bet as the miles climb more and more of the AA heads will fail. The poor guy a few posts up already had replacement AA heads fail so it doesn't look promising for anyone with an AA head going forward.

It Sucks that poor guy might trade in and take a big hit. Chrysler should make it right by him!!!!
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #4371
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
So, the latest (and if you guys are bored with this, just say so - I know my friends and family are sick of hearing about it, that's for sure). I've called my 'case manager' 4 times in the last 12 hours. I also left a message at the general number (not his direct extension) with my case number. I'm definitely getting blown off.

What should I do? Have any of you been through this before? It's not a lemon in the legal sense due to the mileage. The repairs they are doing are obviously not the right ones, but I'm seriously done with this vehicle. I could feed them the information (AA vs AC cylinder head) but I shouldn't have to. Thoughts?
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #4372
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
Oh: and my name is Erin. Demar referred to 'that guy.' I'm definitely not a guy.
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #4373
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 30
Adding my name to this list. Sahara 2012 January build 12K miles. Loud ticking sound on the drivers side of the engine. Taking it to our local Jeep dealership today. Wish me luck :^)
rigormortis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #4374
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
basecamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post
... I could feed them the information (AA vs AC cylinder head) but I shouldn't have to. Thoughts?
You're right you shouldn't have to ...but if it results in getting it fixed I certainly would.

On to my own Jeep 2012 JKUR delivered Dec 2012 currently it has about 8K miles and the tic but no CEL. I have been reading this thread and waiting for a solution before going in. It appears the AC head may be a real fix and has been out there long enough to prove out is that a correct assumption or have folks with the AC head still had problems? Thanks
__________________
2012 JKUR Black Forest Green
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/bas...ld-128626.html
basecamper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #4375
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post
Oh: and my name is Erin. Demar referred to 'that guy.' I'm definitely not a guy.
Your story makes me sick. People shouldn't experience this with new cars under warranty. Ugh.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #4376
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 30
Also, No CEL and Julian date is 3241 on the drivers side head.
rigormortis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #4377
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Shore, MA
Posts: 55
Don't know the range, picked my JKU loaded Sahara up about Jan 2012, ordered it in early Dec 12. Thought I beat the dreaded "head demon" no such luck!! had a 2007 JKU Sahara loaded w/55000K loved it. Ordered the new one cuz wanted new Pentastar and 5 speed auto. Love the auto tranny, LOVED the engine til now! 16000 miles quiet as a mouse, engine light came on about 2 weeks ago for 3 days and then back off? 6 days ago eng light came back on again and stayed on, auto start would run only 10 seconds and shut eng off and "ECO" light stopped working? Thought of course some foolish smog device or 0xy sensor... nope new left side head on order today 3/15!!! So I got bit afterall...and not one bit of ticking the damn thing ran great and highway miles about 24...til the engine warning light came on then dropped to 18/19??

Head will be in "supposedly 4/8" hoping so...at least promised a loaner while work being done. Still a pain in the ... especially trading in such a good 2007 to get this new "engine", 24th Jeep 2nd one in all those that needed big warranty stuff, very disappointed. Hope you beat the "head demon"!!!

Wolfdog :-(
wolfdog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #4378
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post
Oh: and my name is Erin. Demar referred to 'that guy.' I'm definitely not a guy.
I'm sorry! Please accept my apologies!
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #4379
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
I'm sorry! Please accept my apologies!

No apologies necessary. I was laughing about it.
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #4380
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdigdirt View Post
no apologies necessary. I was laughing about it.
:d

demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC