Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 153 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #4561
Jeeper
 
Rabuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, md
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
Glad you found it! Knowledge is power. Good luck!!!!!! Just be sure if they swap the head it will be with an AC head. I'm 99% sure you'll get one, but just make sure!
No I didn't find it yet I'm reading this forum...:headbang:

Rabuck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #4562
Jeeper
 
jkmohican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,236
Still waiting for my code to come on. Ticking has been since 3000 miles, in at 9,500 now, and I don't want to waste my time any more with the dealer until I have a code..

jkmohican is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #4563
Jeeper
 
Trek7.2FX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmohican View Post
Still waiting for my code to come on. Ticking has been since 3000 miles, in at 9,500 now, and I don't want to waste my time any more with the dealer until I have a code..
Is your JK a 2012?
Trek7.2FX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #4564
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabuck View Post
No I didn't find it yet I'm reading this forum...:headbang:
you have an AA head, which means it falls in the problem area. Only July '12 build JKs got to see an AB head.

Here's how to read your part number off of the head.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/upd...37608-107.html
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #4565
Jeeper
 
jkmohican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek7.2FX View Post

Is your JK a 2012?
Wait let me check... (Tick tick tick tick tick), YUP it's a 2012. :O
jkmohican is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #4566
Jeeper
 
Rabuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, md
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post

you have an AA head, which means it falls in the problem area. Only July '12 build JKs got to see an AB head.

Here's how to read your part number off of the head.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/upd...37608-107.html
Gonna check it in couple hours ill let you know what I find... Have a app. For 5:00
Rabuck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #4567
Jeeper
 
Rabuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, md
Posts: 356
So I just got in my jeep ready to take in TO DEALER but CEL went out is there a memory? Should I still take it in with no CEL?!
Rabuck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #4568
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabuck View Post
So I just got in my jeep ready to take in TO DEALER but CEL went out is there a memory? Should I still take it in with no CEL?!
take it in anyway
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #4569
Jeeper
 
reissc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 107
Took mine in Monday with a misfire on #6. The only thing I noticed before the cel was the beginning of rough idling. Got it back today. Everything is running smooth and quietly. My mpg have been bad though (I know it's been a short period of time). Running around 13. Ran 17-18 before. Should I be concerned?
reissc1 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #4570
Jeeper
 
Rabuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, md
Posts: 356
So I dropped it off, I didn't say anything but what happened which was that the light came on yesterday on way home then was off today....I'm glad I had the code read right away...only thing is hey said they might not be able to read code is this right?
Rabuck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #4571
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Posts: 58
What happens of you buy a 2013 used jeep at a different dealer thats non jeep ..will a local jeep dealership still warranty work?
__________________
Looking for a jeep ...tj, yj, jk, xj .....
scaler-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #4572
GXB
Jeeper
 
GXB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 157
A $9 can of Seafoam from walmart fixed my rough idle problem. 19k miles, has the "normal" ticking since first oil change at 3k, no CEL (yet).
Interestingly the Seafoam worked the same way as on my previous car with GM's 3.6 VVT engine. With the Seafoam in the tank the Jeep picked up speed better, once that tank of gas was gone it drove sluggish for about 100 miles then all of a sudden the Jeep started driving fresh off the lot smooth.
Considering "low grade fuel and other unusual driving conditions" or what triggering the head issue according to Chrysler, a little internal cleaning may be beneficial for the Pentastar once in a while.
GXB is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #4573
Jeeper
 
0II1II0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabuck View Post
So I dropped it off, I didn't say anything but what happened which was that the light came on yesterday on way home then was off today....I'm glad I had the code read right away...only thing is hey said they might not be able to read code is this right?
Mine did the same thing. The guy that did the write up said they can see the old codes that popped. They told me it was a faulty computer and reset the code. New computer in on Saturday. CEL popped again tonight.
__________________
"It's good to be back in a Jeep!" Me, 5/28/12
'We are either alone in the universe or we are not. Both ideas are equally terrifying.' Arthur C. Clarke
Medusa - 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Demi - 2002 Wrangler X
0II1II0 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #4574
Grampie

WF Supporting Member
 
stans1stjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, Mi
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaler-jk View Post
What happens of you buy a 2013 used jeep at a different dealer thats non jeep ..will a local jeep dealership still warranty work?
You will need to transfer the warranty to your name first. Go to a Jeep dealer of your choice and have them do the transfer paperwork. There will be a charge for this.
__________________
NRA Life Member!
stans1stjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #4575
Jeeper
 
Rabuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, md
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0II1II0 View Post

Mine did the same thing. The guy that did the write up said they can see the old codes that popped. They told me it was a faulty computer and reset the code. New computer in on Saturday. CEL popped again tonight.
I dropped it off overnight... But like I said I didn't say I knew anything about it just that the light came on and went off, I'm interested to see what happens...ill find out after work
Rabuck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #4576
Jeeper
 
Rabuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, md
Posts: 356
I got an email from Chrysler with my build sheet, I have a 2012 X anyways I didn't see a build date am I missing it or not seeing it in code?
Rabuck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #4577
Grampie

WF Supporting Member
 
stans1stjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, Mi
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabuck View Post
I got an email from Chrysler with my build sheet, I have a 2012 X anyways I didn't see a build date am I missing it or not seeing it in code?
Look at the placard on your drivers door. MDH is the month, day, hour your Jeep came off the line.
__________________
NRA Life Member!
stans1stjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #4578
Jeeper
 
Rabuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, md
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by stans1stjeep View Post

Look at the placard on your drivers door. MDH is the month, day, hour your Jeep came off the line.
Sweet thanks
Rabuck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #4579
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by stans1stjeep View Post
You will need to transfer the warranty to your name first. Go to a Jeep dealer of your choice and have them do the transfer paperwork. There will be a charge for this.
Thanks
__________________
Looking for a jeep ...tj, yj, jk, xj .....
scaler-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #4580
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Shore, MA
Posts: 56
New Head AC

As posted a couple weeks ago, JKU ordered Dec '11 delivered Jan 6/'12. No ticking ran perfect 16K, just CEL on and no "ECO" light, brought it in to dealer to have the CEL reset thinking I escaped the "head demon" by 16K (dreamer that I am) and in 15 minutes they came out and told me to "take it home...however bring it back in a week, they had ordered a new head for me, no dicussion, no begging or arguments they just did it on their own!

New head done Tues 4/9 looks like they did a decent job installing "AC" numbered head so hopefully all is well, seems to run as before. They said they had no leftover parts when finished so a good sign... even gave me a rental!

Hope others do as well

Wolfdog
wolfdog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #4581
Jeeper
 
NeoJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 26
I can only hope my dealership will be that professional and courteous when the "head demon" gets me. Kudos to your dealership!!!
NeoJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #4582
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freedom, PA
Posts: 50
Do we have the last build date to experience the head issue? (For example: no ticking heads reported after Sptember 2012 build date)
zolynski is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #4583
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Just to confirm, that the problem is not gone with the 13" models.

I have 13" JKUR (made in September 12") and at 3730mls i have cyl 6 misfire. The engine is not really knocking, but its a bit down on power, engine noise has changed and the car has started to rattle a bit, when no gas is applied in D or R.

According to dealer my heads are up to date, which is not true, since I have seen my passenger head number ends with AB... Will have to wait and see how it turns out.

I can imagine, that a new car will have some minor issues, but engine failure does not count for minor failure. Especially since I dont know, whether the replacement head will be the cure, or whether the same problem will develop in the other head later as well...
PET77 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #4584
Jeeper
 
aypanthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PET77 View Post
Just to confirm, that the problem is not gone with the 13" models.

I have 13" JKUR (made in September 12") and at 3730mls i have cyl 6 misfire. The engine is not really knocking, but its a bit down on power, engine noise has changed and the car has started to rattle a bit, when no gas is applied in D or R.

According to dealer my heads are up to date, which is not true, since I have seen my passenger head number ends with AB... Will have to wait and see how it turns out.

I can imagine, that a new car will have some minor issues, but engine failure does not count for minor failure. Especially since I dont know, whether the replacement head will be the cure, or whether the same problem will develop in the other head later as well...
Can you post your passenger head number?
__________________
2012-JKU Sport S(23S), Manual, 3.73 gears w/LSD, TF leveling kit w/Discos, MB TKO 15" Rim w/Falken Rocky Mountains 33X12.50X15, Bestop High Rock High Access Front Bumper....too many other small things to list.
aypanthony is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #4585
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Not for the moment. The car is with the dealer. But from what I could see, when they removed the engine cover the number ended with AB, as quoted above. Will go and check the dealer beginning of the next week. Will post some more info than (if there is any).
PET77 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #4586
Jeeper
 
Rabuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baltimore, md
Posts: 356
Got my jeep back last night, they said everything i already knew... Said it was a stored code not active and can't do anything unless its a active code but they did say Chrysler wanted them to update computer... Waiting for CEL...
Rabuck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #4587
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by PET77 View Post
Just to confirm, that the problem is not gone with the 13" models.

I have 13" JKUR (made in September 12") and at 3730mls i have cyl 6 misfire. The engine is not really knocking, but its a bit down on power, engine noise has changed and the car has started to rattle a bit, when no gas is applied in D or R.

According to dealer my heads are up to date, which is not true, since I have seen my passenger head number ends with AB... Will have to wait and see how it turns out.

I can imagine, that a new car will have some minor issues, but engine failure does not count for minor failure. Especially since I dont know, whether the replacement head will be the cure, or whether the same problem will develop in the other head later as well...
Interesting, keep us updated. You should have the latest head, but it's not guaranteed. the AB you saw on the head is actually the part number for the valve cover. The actual head is not stamped with AA/AB/AC (at least not where you can see it).
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #4588
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30
Thanks for the confirmation. After trying to dig a bit into it, it looks i was a bit misguided on the question of identification of the head number:-)

Anyhow, if i do have the latest head and the issue still occurs, in my mind the situation is even more hopeless...
PET77 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #4589
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabuck View Post
Got my jeep back last night, they said everything i already knew... Said it was a stored code not active and can't do anything unless its a active code but they did say Chrysler wanted them to update computer... Waiting for CEL...

Hmm...smells like BS to me. They can run a scan whether the CEL is on or not. That's too bad - I'm not sure why they aren't just issuing a recall notice for this problem. People shouldn't have to beg to have a vehicle that runs properly and passes inspection when they KNOW the problem exists.
ekdigdirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #4590
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by PET77 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. After trying to dig a bit into it, it looks i was a bit misguided on the question of identification of the head number:-)

Anyhow, if i do have the latest head and the issue still occurs, in my mind the situation is even more hopeless...
Don't fret, many people have triggered multiple misfire codes for non-head related reasons. For instance, recently a guy with a '13 had a misfire code and it ended up being a broken valve spring. There are other cases of cracked spark plug tubes and coil packs.

__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC