Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 186 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #5551
Jeeper
 
sobeperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtguy View Post
got my rig back yesterday. dropped if off wed and it was done late thursday. couldn't get down to grab it so went afterwork on friday. AC head installed. had a cel P0118 for coolant temp sensor that was loose. they fixed it in 5 minutes while i waited. no other issues at all. runs great. smooth. no more misfire. quiet and powerful. work order showed 60% leakage on cyl #2. chrysler provided a rental. don't let this worry you. it really is painless.
Good to hear and I agree. 2012 and love it and don't want to trade. I keep adding and changing mods. Have no intention of trading. Will deal with it if and when it happens. I like my jeep too much to trade. Plus love the saddle leather seat style in 2012 much better than current model.

sobeperry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #5552
Jeeper
 
HighwayTrout's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
I just can't understand how there are people in this thread saying "don't worry about it."

This is exactly what people should worry about. Regardless of warranty.
Maybe it's just me but I'm not ok with spending a lot of money on a brand new vehicle then turn right around and get warranty work done.

To the guy that traded up to a '14 you made the right move!

HighwayTrout is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #5553
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Misfires are known to kill cat converters. Has anyone with head problems had cat failure.
Great question. I think it will be a while to find the answer to that out, but the miss and a bit of raw fuel going out the exhaust isn't helping the CC any.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #5554
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayTrout View Post
I just can't understand how there are people in this thread saying "don't worry about it."
To some people it doesn't matter others it will drive them nuts. There's really no right or wrong, it's what ever you feel is right for you! I'd be one of those people who took the hit and traded the vehicle in. Just the fact that they only change one head would drive me nuts, especially if the engine had logged some miles.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #5555
Jeeper
 
Jeep Nurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 146
For what its worth ... I read this "problem" is an isolated problem that occurs under a very specific set of circumstances. Specific driving cycle, specific temperature, specific fuel ...

If I understood correctly, if you own a 3.6 and you find yourself in the exact circumstances that causes the problem, well then you will most likely experience the problem

I would compare it to being struck by lightening ... many people are struck each year by lightening and you must be in a particular place, at a specific time, during a period when various elements come together to produce a lightening strike where you are standing.

I suspect more people will report a ticking Jeep engine on this forum then they would being struck by lightening. I don't believe a forum exists for lightening strike victims.

Right now this is a small matter and Chrysler is responding. If in fact this becomes a major concern, I am certain Chrysler will issue TSBs and perhaps a recall. If I'm not mistaken, Chrysler is replacing heads with a new head that has be engineered with improved chambers. The Phoenix, during it's design period was handed off to Roush for testing. Issues were addressed before production and so I believe this is singular event.

Worth mentioning here is the 3.6 is being put in ALL of Chrysler's vehicles ... Yet another icon ... They put a lot of effort into the design and I don't think there is a chance they'd bet the farm on an engine that is subpar. Remember these vehicles are sold allover the world.
Jeep Nurse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #5556
Jeeper
 
sobeperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Nurse View Post
For what its worth ... I read this "problem" is an isolated problem that occurs under a very specific set of circumstances. Specific driving cycle, specific temperature, specific fuel ... If I understood correctly, if you own a 3.6 and you find yourself in the exact circumstances that causes the problem, well then you will most likely experience the problem I would compare it to being struck by lightening ... many people are struck each year by lightening and you must be in a particular place, at a specific time, during a period when various elements come together to produce a lightening strike where you are standing. I suspect more people will report a ticking Jeep engine on this forum then they would being struck by lightening. I don't believe a forum exists for lightening strike victims. Right now this is a small matter and Chrysler is responding. If in fact this becomes a major concern, I am certain Chrysler will issue TSBs and perhaps a recall. If I'm not mistaken, Chrysler is replacing heads with a new head that has be engineered with improved chambers. The Phoenix, during it's design period was handed off to Roush for testing. Issues were addressed before production and so I believe this is singular event. Worth mentioning here is the 3.6 is being put in ALL of Chrysler's vehicles ... Yet another icon ... They put a lot of effort into the design and I don't think there is a chance they'd bet the farm on an engine that is subpar. Remember these vehicles are sold allover the world.
Very well said and thought out! To tag onto this, I was chatting with the service manager of my dealer (large volume dealer) and he advised in the last year and a half only 2 wranglers have had head replacements. And about a half dozen mini vans! So I do after with you. This forum is a SMALL sampling of wrangler owners so reading about this you think its and epidemic when it's not. And again, if and when it happens to us we will deal with it. I'm enjoying my ride!
sobeperry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #5557
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Nurse View Post
For what its worth ... I read this "problem" is an isolated problem that occurs under a very specific set of circumstances. Specific driving cycle, specific temperature, specific fuel ...

If I understood correctly, if you own a 3.6 and you find yourself in the exact circumstances that causes the problem, well then you will most likely experience the problem

I would compare it to being struck by lightening ... many people are struck each year by lightening and you must be in a particular place, at a specific time, during a period when various elements come together to produce a lightening strike where you are standing.

I suspect more people will report a ticking Jeep engine on this forum then they would being struck by lightening. I don't believe a forum exists for lightening strike victims.

Right now this is a small matter and Chrysler is responding. If in fact this becomes a major concern, I am certain Chrysler will issue TSBs and perhaps a recall. If I'm not mistaken, Chrysler is replacing heads with a new head that has be engineered with improved chambers. The Phoenix, during it's design period was handed off to Roush for testing. Issues were addressed before production and so I believe this is singular event.

Worth mentioning here is the 3.6 is being put in ALL of Chrysler's vehicles ... Yet another icon ... They put a lot of effort into the design and I don't think there is a chance they'd bet the farm on an engine that is subpar. Remember these vehicles are sold allover the world.
That's good info, but I believe you'll see the Pentastar 3.2L replace the 3.6L before you'll see a recall. They will replace the defective heads under warranty until the warranty runs out - then it becomes a negotiating excercise.

I would buy a Chrysler lifetime warranty for piece of mind.

.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JKUR10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #5558
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
That's good info, but I believe you'll see the Pentastar 3.2L replace the 3.6L before you'll see a recall. They will replace the defective heads under warranty until the warranty runs out - then it becomes a negotiating excercise.

I would buy a Chrysler lifetime warranty for piece of mind.

.
When do you think they'll replace the 3.6l with the 3.2l? I think the 3.6l is probably in 75% of Chrysler's fleet and its their Flagship engine. I don't see them issuing a recall unless Uncle Sam twists their arm. I see them fixing the problem with the 3.6l going forward and dealing with the bad ones as they pop up, keeping it as quiet as possible not to hurt sales.
__________________
ADee
God Bless the USN and all our Troops
ADee1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #5559
Dance w/me tonight

WF Supporting Member
 
jkucod12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,023
Images: 8
jkucod12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #5560
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 251
I read somewhere it was about 500 heads per month, or was it 500 heads per week? Either way that's not exactly a small problem. How many 2013's have failed on this site? They've been out for a while now. Is it confirmed the problem was really fixed?
__________________
ADee
God Bless the USN and all our Troops
ADee1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #5561
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADee1 View Post
When do you think they'll replace the 3.6l with the 3.2l? I think the 3.6l is probably in 75% of Chrysler's fleet and its their Flagship engine. I don't see them issuing a recall unless Uncle Sam twists their arm. I see them fixing the problem with the 3.6l going forward and dealing with the bad ones as they pop up, keeping it as quiet as possible not to hurt sales.

Here's the plan ...

Rumors and Future Chrysler Pentastar Engines

.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JKUR10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #5562
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
Thanks, but it doesn't mention dropping the 3.6 for the 3.2. The way I'm seeing it is they'll have both, with the 3.6 making more hp.
__________________
ADee
God Bless the USN and all our Troops
ADee1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #5563
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADee1 View Post
Thanks, but it doesn't mention dropping the 3.6 for the 3.2. The way I'm seeing it is they'll have both, with the 3.6 making more hp.
That's now... what I said was they would discontinue the 3.6L before issuing a recall... simply take it out of the mix and install a 3.2 or a new Pentastar 4.x V8.

Note the Factory Supercharged Pentastar 3.2L at 340 HP.

.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JKUR10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #5564
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
That's now... what I said was they would discontinue the 3.6L before issuing a recall... simply take it out of the mix and install a 3.2 or a new Pentastar 4.x V8.

Note the Factory Supercharged Pentastar 3.2L at 340 HP.

.
I'm just trying to learn that's all. If I understand you correctly there are no plans to take the 3.6 out of the loop, but you feel they'd discontinue it before issuing a recall? Thanks.
__________________
ADee
God Bless the USN and all our Troops
ADee1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #5565
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADee1 View Post
I'm just trying to learn that's all. If I understand you correctly there are no plans to take the 3.6 out of the loop, but you feel they'd discontinue it before issuing a recall? Thanks.
That's what most manufacturers do... they fix them under warranty and montitor ASCOS... the after sales cost of service metrics. If they find costs are impacting total ASCOS budget, they will either issue TSB or fix the problem in the next generation. I believe a recall would need be linked to adverse events - safety, fires, deaths, etc.

Not sure if this makes sense... it becomes a quality and R&D dance.

.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JKUR10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #5566
dirt road inspector

WF Supporting Member
 
tomthbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by therinr View Post
Well, finally got to take the Jeep back to the dealership. They called today saying the cylinder head needs replaced. I acted surprised and they stated that they haven't had many of these. He then stated that it would be done Monday. All and all, it has been over a year since I first complained about it. In the end, I just needed the support of the computer. Looking forward to the change. I want to know what, if any, changes in performance and mileage there will be. Because, for having 290 horses, it's never acted like it.
Have you had a check engine light for that long or was it the clicking you complained about?

What was your odometer reading at the first complaint and what is it now?

Thanks.
__________________
tomthbomb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #5567
Jeeper
 
2012Cosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lehigh Valley
Posts: 234
Just brought my 2012 in with 43,000 miles.....cylinder misfire and head gasket needed replacement.....thought I was a lucky one until Monday.
2012Cosmos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #5568
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Cosmos View Post
Just brought my 2012 in with 43,000 miles.....cylinder misfire and head gasket needed replacement.....thought I was a lucky one until Monday.

Head gasket? Or did you mean the left head needed to be replaced? A new head gasket would be part of the head replacement job, or maybe you got lucky and just needed a head gasket.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #5569
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Cosmos View Post
Just brought my 2012 in with 43,000 miles.....cylinder misfire and head gasket needed replacement.....thought I was a lucky one until Monday.
Is Jeep fixing yours under warranty even though you're past 36,000 miles?
UTJeffC is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #5570
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTJeffC View Post
Is Jeep fixing yours under warranty even though you're past 36,000 miles?
This is covered under the 5 year/100k powertrain warranty.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #5571
Jeeper
 
MSpiegel00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 370
Looks like the 2014's aren't immune to this. I picked up mine on Tuesday morning, and it was fine. By this morning, at 180 miles, it was ticking. Brought it to the dealership at 300 miles, and it got left there for a warranty repair.
MSpiegel00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #5572
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpiegel00 View Post
Looks like the 2014's aren't immune to this. I picked up mine on Tuesday morning, and it was fine. By this morning, at 180 miles, it was ticking. Brought it to the dealership at 300 miles, and it got left there for a warranty repair.
Your other thread suggests there is a bottom end issue, not a cylinder head issue. It sucks you need a new engine, but I think it's probably an isolated instance and not something endemic like the '12 cylinder head issues.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #5573
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Your other thread suggests there is a bottom end issue, not a cylinder head issue. It sucks you need a new engine, but I think it's probably an isolated instance and not something endemic like the '12 cylinder head issues.
That's what it sounds like to me.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #5574
Jeeper
 
therinr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthbomb View Post
Have you had a check engine light for that long or was it the clicking you complained about? What was your odometer reading at the first complaint and what is it now? Thanks.
The CEL just came on recently. The complaint was originally for the noise. I'd say it has been around 20,000 since the first complaint.
therinr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #5575
Jeeper
 
Deepjeep1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 593
Recalls are issued for "safety" issues. Which this problem is not.
__________________
"There's more to me than you'll ever know"
Deepjeep1371 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #5576
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,326
After spending a lot of time reading about this issue and talking it over with a mechanic friend with 40 years experience in dealerships and his own business here's what I came up with as a possible cause of the problem. He was in total agreement that it could be a probable cause.

Several members are reporting finding sand in the coolant recovery system as well as failing water pumps. Sand is very difficult to remove from the heads and block. It can and will congeal in the heads, and block water passages in the cylinder heads as well as other parts of the engine causing hot spots, if there's enough of it. These hot spots can be the cause of the failing heads. Now if the water passages are different in the left head vs. the right head that can explain why only the left head is failing. The left head might be more prone to getting blocked up than than right, by design. Sand has no business being inside the engine. Improved design of the water passages and better cleaning of the blocks going forward could very well have solved the problem.

It would be interesting to know how many of the people who had AA or AB heads replaced had sand in the block and recovery tanks. Food for thought that's all.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #5577
Jeeper
 
Hieneken49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michiganistan
Posts: 250
Images: 3
got mine replaced at 28000 miles.
__________________
2012 Rubicon Unlimited 6 Speed
JCR Crusader & Quadratec 9500i
Ace Pro Series Rear
2.5 AEV Lift, Riddler Diff Armor
315 Goodyear Duratracs.
Hieneken49 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #5578
Jeeper
 
JWHChase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Riverside
Posts: 36
Sorry I haven't read every page here, I'm looking at buying a 2012, what should I look for as far as when the vehicle was built or what to determine if it might have the bad heads.
JWHChase is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #5579
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHChase View Post
Sorry I haven't read every page here, I'm looking at buying a 2012, what should I look for as far as when the vehicle was built or what to determine if it might have the bad heads.
all 2012s have the potential for bad heads. The build date includes some early 2013s. Find out if it has had the job done.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #5580
Jeeper
 
JWHChase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Riverside
Posts: 36
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
all 2012s have the potential for bad heads. The build date includes some early 2013s. Find out if it has had the job done.
It's at a dealer and they say they have no maintenance records.

JWHChase is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.



Jeep«, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC