Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 23 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #661
Jeeper
 
JPDLT6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 61
I took delivery of my Rubi on march 23rd. Build date was Dec. 2011. No problems so far 1000 miles. From everything I've read in the forums and from talking to friends that work for Chrysler svc departments. Chrysler is dealing with the issues. Issues are not as prevalent as they seem. Don't judge just from the forums. Research and decide on your own. Forums are an awesome tool to get opinions.

JPDLT6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #662
Jeeper
 
kytjjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 98
If you want the best car,truck,etc allways buy the last year of the bodystyle .have worked on on cars for 20 years.they areare allways the best.but then you will have a old bodystyle. The next yeay

kytjjk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #663
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDLT6 View Post
I took delivery of my Rubi on march 23rd. Build date was Dec. 2011. No problems so far 1000 miles. From everything I've read in the forums and from talking to friends that work for Chrysler svc departments. Chrysler is dealing with the issues. Issues are not as prevalent as they seem. Don't judge just from the forums. Research and decide on your own. Forums are an awesome tool to get opinions.
It's definitely the case that you can't always judge what you see on forums, as things always seem far worse than they are. Given that I'm a huge car nut, this is the first I've really heard of this issue. Considering I sort of keep up with what's going on, I figure if this was a widespread issue I probably would have either heard something or read something before reading it here.

There are probably hundreds of thousands of people who are getting along with their 3.6Ls without any issues...
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #664
Jeeper
 
ranjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lowell, AR
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist

I'd call needing new heads a failure.
That's a misleading statement that adds to the problem. The heads are being replaced reactively based on customer complaints. There have been zero failures!

Could there be failures in the future, possibly. But nothing more than a noise at this point.

And to add to it, some who have had their cylinder head replaced are already reporting the same noise in the new head.
__________________
2012 Rubicon Unlimited
Black, Auto, 4.10
Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer Lite, 37x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, JCR Stinger & Rear Crusader Tire carrier with Rotopax, Recon 10.5K winch, Evo Protek skids, ACE sliders, sPod, Viair ADA
My YouTube Videos
ranjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #665
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjr View Post
That's a misleading statement that adds to the problem. The heads are being replaced reactively based on customer complaints. There have been zero failures!

Could there be failures in the future, possibly. But nothing more than a noise at this point.

And to add to it, some who have had their cylinder head replaced are already reporting the same noise in the new head.
So are these replacement heads also defective? If these issues are going to lead to premature failure, I'd say it's safe to refer to the issue as a failure, but let's not split hairs here.

Are Chrysler replacing heads on every vehicle that comes in with a tick or a tock? At which point are they replacing these heads?
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #666
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
So are these replacement heads also defective? If these issues are going to lead to premature failure, I'd say it's safe to refer to the issue as a failure, but let's not split hairs here.

Are Chrysler replacing heads on every vehicle that comes in with a tick or a tock? At which point are they replacing these heads?
I'd also call a CEL/MIL light and complete loss of combustion in one or more cylinders a failure.

Typically from what I have read they are waiting for that CEL/MIL to replace the heads. And they usually wait for it to come back a second time after a reflash. It's all right here in this thread and others like it.
Wharfrat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #667
Jeeper
 
flyfish29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New HAMpshire
Posts: 569
My 2012 built on September 11, 2011 runs just fine-no issues here except for a little bit of a leak over the drivers door which I'll try to get in this month to get fixed.

As noted by many earlier in this thread dealers are doing everything from complete head replacements to spark plug replacements and everything in between I don't believe anyone knows exactly what the problems are and how many of them are related to the same issue. It may even be that we have several smaller issues that are similar in nature. Time will tell.
__________________
Johnny
"If you aren't going to do something positive in this lifetime, then get out of the way so someone else can!" Me.

2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited S and 1 happy camper!!
It's good to be back in a Jeep!!
flyfish29 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #668
Jeeper
 
flyinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,360
I'm not sure anymore if mine is ticking or not. Can't decide whether the noise I noticed at startup in the garage with the windows down the other day is valve noise or the starter motor spooling down. However, I look at it like this. They have 5yrs. or 100,000 miles to figure it out, so I'm not worried. If they can't fix the problem by then, something is seriously wrong somewhere.
__________________
2012 JKU Sport S in BFG:
Max Tow, LSD, M/T, Connectivity, Infinity, Hard Top, Step Rails
flyinion is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #669
Jeeper
 
Cajunaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belle Chasse, LA
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist

Awesome! Built on my bday!

I just got word back from the insurance company on what I'll be getting for the car (can't discuss anything...attorney advised against it) but I'll have a down-payment within the next week. I'll lose my rental car once I receive the check so I gotta move on it.

It's gonna be tough finding exactly what I want, because what I want is, well, nothing. I want the Connectivity Group, Dual Tops, Tow Package, and a manual transmission. Then, there's the issue of the Pentastars kicking the bucket in the early 2012 models and trying to find something with a later build date.

I have a feeling I'm going to wind up being forced to order...
I'd skip the tow package and order the Quadratec tow hitch with plug and play wire harness and Jeep hitch cover for $89.00. That's what I did. A whole lot cheaper. My cousin is part owner in the dealership I bought from and that is what the Sales Manager suggested. You can't tow anything heavy enough to need trailer dampening. It is an overpriced option.
Cajunaviator is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #670
Jeeper
 
ranjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lowell, AR
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion
I'm not sure anymore if mine is ticking or not. Can't decide whether the noise I noticed at startup in the garage with the windows down the other day is valve noise or the starter motor spooling down. However, I look at it like this. They have 5yrs. or 100,000 miles to figure it out, so I'm not worried. If they can't fix the problem by then, something is seriously wrong somewhere.
Startup is different and should not be confused which what is being reported as "the tick". Due to the orientation of the oil filter, the filter must first fill with oil before lubricating the rest of the engine. This short period during a cold start is expected to have excessive valve train noise as the engine gets its initial lubrication. All vehicles do this most noticeably after an oil change until the filter fills with oil. The Pentastar does this on every start because the filter is located at the top of the engine where most are at the bottom.
__________________
2012 Rubicon Unlimited
Black, Auto, 4.10
Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer Lite, 37x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, JCR Stinger & Rear Crusader Tire carrier with Rotopax, Recon 10.5K winch, Evo Protek skids, ACE sliders, sPod, Viair ADA
My YouTube Videos
ranjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #671
I'd like a cheaper hobby

WF Supporting Member
 
ThingsAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 796
Images: 65
The Hemi on my Dodge Challenger ticked with abandon... It was the sound of the hairy dwarfs in the motor striking big matches to light off the combustion.

Hearing my Pentastud motor tick makes me think it's just a "Hemi wannabe". It's kinda like the little engine who said "I think I can, I think I can".

Kinda comforting, No?
ThingsAbove is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #672
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calvert county, Southern Maryland
Posts: 569
i just took mine in for the engine light for the third time.....not much ticking, however am getting the 300 series engine code. i told the service rep that mine was built during the time they are having the head problems.....they checked it, sure enough a misfire error....ordered a replacement head for it. guy said "you were right" we just had to go through the procedure of resetting and reprogramming before we could put it on the list to get fixed. i'm lucky i guess, have an old codger driving an old TJ so at least he understands.

cass
tcass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #673
Jeeper
 
jeepkingtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spring City
Posts: 268
My 9-9-11 build JKUR has almost 5000 miles and no problems so far. I'm running Mobil One Synthetic and a NAPA Gold filter. I have used all the Rubi features a few times at least. I love it!
__________________
2012 FLAME RED JK UNLIMITED RUBICON
4.10 Rear Axle Ratio/5 Speed Auto/Connectivity Group/Heated Front Seats/Remote Start System/ACE Rock Sliders/Front Stubby Bumper

Job 19:26
jeepkingtn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #674
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Well, I'll HOPEFULLY be driving around in a new Rubicon by this time next week. I should be getting my payout on my totaled STi quite soon. I contacted the local stealership and told them to find me an Unlimited with Dual Top, Manual Transmission, UConnect, and possibly the Tow Package. The color choices I gave him were Silver, Flame Red, or Dozer...in that specific order. I also told him I want one built no earlier than March.

I can't wait to get my Jeep!
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #675
Jeeper
 
Cajunaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belle Chasse, LA
Posts: 59
I hate to discourage you, but with those specs, you will have a hard time finding one. Dealers are not stocking many manual transmissions. You will probably need to order one. It's a crazy wait, but sooo worth it to get exactly what you want. Go to Jeep.com and do a build out with your specs. You can then put in your zip code and do a dealer search for your Jeep with your specs. You can also set how far from where you live for the search.
Cajunaviator is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #676
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunaviator View Post
I hate to discourage you, but with those specs, you will have a hard time finding one. Dealers are not stocking many manual transmissions. You will probably need to order one. It's a crazy wait, but sooo worth it to get exactly what you want. Go to Jeep.com and do a build out with your specs. You can then put in your zip code and do a dealer search for your Jeep with your specs. You can also set how far from where you live for the search.
There are actually a few I've seen around here.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #677
Jeeper
 
Cajunaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belle Chasse, LA
Posts: 59
Good deal. I hope you can get one.
Cajunaviator is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #678
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunaviator View Post
Good deal. I hope you can get one.
Thanks. Me too. I'll probably lose my rental on Friday, which will leave me carless. Unfortunately, I have to move quick on this. I'm not real thrilled about having to rush into this but I really don't have any other choice.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #679
Jeeper
 
Cajunaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belle Chasse, LA
Posts: 59
I like the Flame Red. My 07 was a Flame Red and my 12 is Flame Red.
Cajunaviator is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #680
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 65
Got the wife's back yesterday after both heads were replaced and the tick was gone for a day. Today after a few miles it now whines like a jet engine so you couldn't hear a tick if it had one. Our case manager has been very involved and tomorrow she will escalate our cases to the buy back folks. Our case manager is just great but we've had it!!!

Mine is going with her's as well. I was going to give them one more chance but six times in each is enough in my book and two more then NC requires. Love my Jeep and hate to see it go but with $85K (plus $2k in mods) invested in two vehicles and only 3 months old I expected so much more. Mine still has misfires and fails leakdown. Her's is just FUBAR at this point. Just so dissapointed, discouraged, so much work missed and just damned embarrassed.

The wife wants her Overland replaced and I have no idea what I want to do yet. I know this much... hers will have the 8Cyl this time.

Hope those of you without the tick never get it and those of you with it have better luck than us!!!
__________________
2012 Unlimited Sahara
Cosmos Blue
2012 Overland Summit
Mineral Grey
1970 SS Camaro L34 (Real Big Block)
JeepInUse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #681
Jeeper
 
Strobe2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 29
Jeez, after reading through nearly all of the first 15 pages in this thread, I really wanted to jump over here and continue my saga, beginning HERE, and post an update as well on what has happened over the last 24Hrs.

I have been asking several independent mechanic friends of mine to listen to my '08 JKR, and all but one has said it's a lifter issue (one said he thought is was in the lower rotating assembly, but I highly doubt it is a spun bearing, which is what he was leaning toward).
I did go to a dealer, and since I am not the original owner, I get F'd on a warranty, and wasn't willing to plop down that precious $95 bones to have some dbag tech tell me what I could figure out on my own, I pretty much got told that "No cash, No help". The guy DID look like he knew about this occurring, though...(long story)

Today, I tore the passenger side valve cover off, checked for excessive lash, wear, movement, or anything out of the ordinary, even to the point of running it with the valve cover off as I watched for any abnormal movement. I had suspected it to be on the pass side, but since I took it all the way down to removing the rockers and inspecting the rods, and testing the spring functions in a limited way, there did not appear to be anything wrong (except my developing quite a number of new curse words over the piss-poor engineering design of the raised intake that literally blocks anyone with hands larger than a 10 y.o. girl from removing the two innermost studs to get the damn VC off the head...). Since there didn't appear to be anything of interest, and I certainly wasn't going to tackle the driver side VC removal after the 2hrs of hell taking out/reinstalling the other side, I called a night.


I have the 3.8L, and IMHO, I am seriously thinking of taking it out of my Rubi, and finding me a good ol small block Chevy 5.3L that I can shoehorn in my ride. Screw Chrysler and their bullsh*t V-6 in a 2Ton vehicle...

Sorry, just needed to vent.
Love my Jeep...Hate auto makers that don't take responsibility for engineering flaws until after a few thousand people pay top dollar for a failure, resulting in lengthy delays of ownership priviledges...
__________________
Semper Fidelis
2ndLT, 1-7 STA, HMLA-369/3 MAW
USMC-1990-1996
BoNe StOcK 2008 Rubi 2dr, Bright Silver Metallic, No Mods...yet
Strobe2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #682
Jeeper
 
bluehen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Milford, DE
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepInUse View Post
Got the wife's back yesterday after both heads were replaced and the tick was gone for a day. Today after a few miles it now whines like a jet engine so you couldn't hear a tick if it had one. Our case manager has been very involved and tomorrow she will escalate our cases to the buy back folks. Our case manager is just great but we've had it!!!

Mine is going with her's as well. I was going to give them one more chance but six times in each is enough in my book and two more then NC requires. Love my Jeep and hate to see it go but with $85K (plus $2k in mods) invested in two vehicles and only 3 months old I expected so much more. Mine still has misfires and fails leakdown. Her's is just FUBAR at this point. Just so dissapointed, discouraged, so much work missed and just damned embarrassed.

The wife wants her Overland replaced and I have no idea what I want to do yet. I know this much... hers will have the 8Cyl this time.

Hope those of you without the tick never get it and those of you with it have better luck than us!!!
Ouch. Sorry to hear this.

So far so good on my driver side head replacement after 3K miles. Hoping it holds together better than yours did. Good luck with your next move(s).
__________________
2012 JKU Sahara, Bright Silver
Head replaced at 15K; traded for '12 Passat diesel at 28K - still a Jeep fan
Semper Fidelis
bluehen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #683
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunaviator View Post
I like the Flame Red. My 07 was a Flame Red and my 12 is Flame Red.
Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepInUse View Post
Got the wife's back yesterday after both heads were replaced and the tick was gone for a day. Today after a few miles it now whines like a jet engine so you couldn't hear a tick if it had one. Our case manager has been very involved and tomorrow she will escalate our cases to the buy back folks. Our case manager is just great but we've had it!!!

Mine is going with her's as well. I was going to give them one more chance but six times in each is enough in my book and two more then NC requires. Love my Jeep and hate to see it go but with $85K (plus $2k in mods) invested in two vehicles and only 3 months old I expected so much more. Mine still has misfires and fails leakdown. Her's is just FUBAR at this point. Just so dissapointed, discouraged, so much work missed and just damned embarrassed.

The wife wants her Overland replaced and I have no idea what I want to do yet. I know this much... hers will have the 8Cyl this time.

Hope those of you without the tick never get it and those of you with it have better luck than us!!!
This seriously sucks and I'm sorry to hear about the bad luck you've had. Personally, I've never been in your position and I'm glad, but at least you have a case manager that is on top of her game. I'm sure it's extremely frustrating that you have two new vehicles and they're experiencing the same issues. If I may ask, what are the build dates on the vehicles?
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #684
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
Pics?



This seriously sucks and I'm sorry to hear about the bad luck you've had. Personally, I've never been in your position and I'm glad, but at least you have a case manager that is on top of her game. I'm sure it's extremely frustrating that you have two new vehicles and they're experiencing the same issues. If I may ask, what are the build dates on the vehicles?

Both Jeeps Sep-11 build date
__________________
2012 Unlimited Sahara
Cosmos Blue
2012 Overland Summit
Mineral Grey
1970 SS Camaro L34 (Real Big Block)
JeepInUse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #685
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepInUse View Post
Both Jeeps Sep-11 build date
Wow, talk about "luck of the draw." There's no excuse for two new vehicles experiencing the same issues. I hope you get buy-backs on both of them.

I've tried to have positive thoughts and be hopeful since finding out Chrysler was going to be "bailed out" by a large manufacturer like Fiat, and was even feeling like they were going to really come around; an entirely updated line of vehicles, new transmissions, new engines, etc. I was certain this time they'd really have their sh*t together.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #686
Jeeper
 
j0nx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NoVa
Posts: 848
Anyone in here who thinks this is an isolated issue that is being blown up in the forums is ridiculous. IMO this problem is a full blown failure of something that is affecting at least 5 months worth of their products across multiple lines most likely and they are scrambling to figure out what it is and how they can bury it from the press. Just my opinion of course but we are way beyond a limited number of problems for it to be anything but imo. Mine ticks a little bit I suppose but it runs fine and I've only had one CEL/misfire issue in early January which I know is most likely going to reoccur at some point. It's just a matter of time for most folks imo and Chrysler is hoping that the time will fall outside the warranty period.
__________________
Natural Green 2012 JKU Sport with S Package | Freedom Top | Auto | Side Steps | Max Tow | Connectivity | Remote Start
j0nx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #687
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 177
Has anyone actually went back through this thread and counted exactly how many different members, have had this problem?

Just from going back and reading through this thread, I have to agree with j0nx. It is just my opinion but it really does seem like it is more then an isolated problem. We only have 1500 miles on our 2012 JKU with no ticking but I am not holding my breathe, with the low miles it has.

We know a few families ( in there 50s) who bought new 2012 JKs and they are never on a computer or if they are, they would not be on any forums. So I am just wondering how many owners are not on the computer, or on forums, that have the tick.
watusibison is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #688
Jeeper
 
snikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by watusibison View Post
Has anyone actually went back through this thread and counted exactly how many different members, have had this problem?

Just from going back and reading through this thread, I have to agree with j0nx. It is just my opinion but it really does seem like it is more then an isolated problem. We only have 1500 miles on our 2012 JKU with no ticking but I am not holding my breathe, with the low miles it has.

We know a few families ( in there 50s) who bought new 2012 JKs and they are never on a computer or if they are, they would not be on any forums. So I am just wondering how many owners are not on the computer, or on forums, that have the tick.
There is a poll for both situations in the forum

Hard to say if it's isolated or not, they've probably sold hundreds of thousands of 2012 Wranglers
snikt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #689
Jeeper
 
HK_Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ken Caryl Valley, Colorado
Posts: 2,244
The real test is this- what will Chrysler do about this? If they want younger people and Jeep enthusiasts to buy new Chrysler vehicles, they have to address this well. I mean, this is the main complaint about newer Jeeps..that they are nowhere near as reliable as the Toyotas and Nissans. To save money, they can make the wrong decision that will cost them dearly since this will start getting out. They should make this a priority since Jeep enthusiasts are the most loyal. I'll watch for this as well. My other two vehicles include a 2006 Subaru Forester with 92,000 miles and a 2005 V8 4x4 4Runner with 75,000. The Subaru has needed front brakes- that's it. The 4Runner- nothing yet. I am religious about oil and fluid changes and they both go off-road, though not to any crazy trails like you guys go through...not true offroading.

I hope Chrysler does the right thing and fixes this right. I am hopeful but enough people need to start contacting higher levels at Chrysler somehow.
HK_Runner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #690
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
Anyone in here who thinks this is an isolated issue that is being blown up in the forums is ridiculous. IMO this problem is a full blown failure of something that is affecting at least 5 months worth of their products across multiple lines most likely and they are scrambling to figure out what it is and how they can bury it from the press. Just my opinion of course but we are way beyond a limited number of problems for it to be anything but imo. Mine ticks a little bit I suppose but it runs fine and I've only had one CEL/misfire issue in early January which I know is most likely going to reoccur at some point. It's just a matter of time for most folks imo and Chrysler is hoping that the time will fall outside the warranty period.
Well, I guess I sort of fall into what you consider to be the "ridiculous" category. I see an awful lot of 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6s on the roads and I haven't heard any of them ticking. Granted, it's not the Wrangler, but it's the same exact engine, nonetheless. While I'd agree this is certainly a failure, this issue doesn't seem to be widespread across every single Pentastar manufactured. Chrysler have manufactured over 1,000,000 Pentastars since it's hit production. I can't help but to be forced to assume this is an isolated incident.

I read Chrysler shut down its Mexican plant and brought manufacturing of the Pentastar to the States due to a severe lack of quality and quality control. Is there a specific location where these defective engines were being manufactured? Given the circumstances, I'd reason to believe they were manufactured at this now-defunct Mexican plant.

That being said, what are we, who want Jeeps, supposed to do, and more importantly, have these manufacturing issues been resolved? I haven't seen anyone with vehicles built after around December 2011 really complaining about the issue.

Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC