Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 53 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #1561
Jeeper
 
HK_Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ken Caryl Valley, Colorado
Posts: 2,242
I get no pinging with 87, though here in CO, 87 is mid-grade (85 is the lowest). Who knows...it may ping with 85.

__________________
2014 JKU Rubicon- all white with tan leather

LOD front bumper, AEV rear bumper, TeraFlex tire carrier, Shrockworks sliders, Method Standard wheels, 35" MTR Kevlars, Englewood driveshafts, Synergy 3" Lift, Artec truss, Teraflex C-gussets, Grabars, HotHead Liners, MORE dead pedal, Uniden 520 XL, 10lb CO2 tank...
HK_Runner is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #1562
He's no good to me dead.

WF Supporting Member
 
spankinkopita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU View Post
@jkwrangler2012 .... i just spent $65 on a full tank of 87 today. if a mere .10 cent per gallon switch helps in any way, i'll be doing the same.
Really wanna peeve the attendant, do what I have been doing, $10 premium, then fill with regular. they look at you like you have six heads, then you tell them to do it in two transactions and it gets a little easier

__________________
2012 JKU Sport S Sahara Tan
- Ordered 07/07
- Enjoyed since 08/26

spankinkopita is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #1563
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
I'm curious in those of you that have gotten heads replaced, what gearing do you have in your axles? Reason I ask, because the mileage numbers are so spread out (some at less than 2k and some I've seen as high as 18k when the light comes on) I'm wondering if gearing has any effect? My motor is definitely ticking. I've gotten the standard "its an injector" from my local dealership. I've had two mechanics from different lines (Mercedes and Ford) listen and they both agree its abnormal. I just rolled over 10k with no cel. I have 3.21s though which has me thinking the rigs with shorter gears are revving higher more often which may trigger the misfires. Also rigs with lifts and more load may cause detonation sooner too. I know there was a poll going but it doesn't seem like anyone has been collecting data from the rigs with heads being replaced.
3.73's. CEL at 19,000.
Lighting Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #1564
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankinkopita
Really wanna peeve the attendant, do what I have been doing, $10 premium, then fill with regular. they look at you like you have six heads, then you tell them to do it in two transactions and it gets a little easier
Ha! I'm going to do that. Not sure if it will peeve most of them or just confuse the living hell out of them.
__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #1565
Jeeper
 
JKWrangler2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 572
ok.. hit the trails today and logged over 200 miles with the new gas. the octane increase has truly made a world of difference. she runs exactly like she should.. the the knocking is gone, acceleration brisk!

i will say; it seems the exhaust noise is gone as well.. i imagine the pre-ignition was also causing the funny exhaust sound. what a simple fix. amazing.. i can't believe i never looked into a higher octane over all these months. just another fine example of; "can't believe everything you read" ..even if Chrysler/Jeep wrote it!
JKWrangler2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #1566
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 3,355
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler2012 View Post
ok.. hit the trails today and logged over 200 miles with the new gas. the octane increase has truly made a world of difference. she runs exactly like she should.. the the knocking is gone, acceleration brisk!

i will say; it seems the exhaust noise is gone as well.. i imagine the pre-ignition was also causing the funny exhaust sound. what a simple fix. amazing.. i can't believe i never looked into a higher octane over all these months. just another fine example of; "can't believe everything you read" ..even if Chrysler/Jeep wrote it!
great Update!!!
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #1567
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
ShaneDiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alamogordo
Posts: 222
Took mine in for the oil change and asked about my ticking which isn't super bad at the moment. All I got was that it was the Injectors and normal sounds.....but I live in poudnk Alamogordo and will have to try an El Paso Dealer or something.
Little over 10K miles so far on mine 3.73's and Picked it up back in October
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red Sport 2Dr 6-speed 3.73, Tow Pkg, Power Grp, Connectivity Grp, Hard Top, Deep Tint - (reordered 9/20 for Gears)
D1 Status 9/23
Built Pending Inspection 10/5
Delivered 10/24

2010 Bright Silver JKU - Sold
ShaneDiddy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #1568
Jeeper
 
jclayJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
I got a call from my dealer yesterday, the head (that was supposed to be here last week) is scheduled for delivery on the 24th.

A little recap on my story: about 11k, my MIL light has been on for a few weeks (at just over 10k) throwing a p0304 (misfire cylinder 4) code yet I never had any tick until today. It only last for a few seconds when it starts and then it goes away. Sometimes it idles rough & I can feel the misfire every once in a while while driving - the rpms drop for a quick second and then its back to normal.
This sounds like my issue. Engine light came on at about 8,500 miles. Haven't had any performance issues or ticking yet.
Dealer seemed to explain the same "cylinder 4 misfire" issue. Gave me the same story that many on here experienced. I guess the new heads are on backorder still.
__________________
2012 JK Sahara
Sahara Tan
Auto 3.73
jclayJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #1569
Jeeper
 
tacojeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 147
A tick? damnit... really a friken tick... forgetabout it... you got no damn tick... At least it runs.... says the Joe Pesci dealership
__________________
tacojeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #1570
Jeeper
 
rtguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacojeep View Post
A tick? damnit... really a friken tick... forgetabout it... you got no damn tick... At least it runs.... says the Joe Pesci dealership

lol....wanna fight about it?
__________________
2012 JK Black Forest Green
rtguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #1571
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWrangler2012 View Post
ok.. hit the trails today and logged over 200 miles with the new gas. the octane increase has truly made a world of difference. she runs exactly like she should.. the the knocking is gone, acceleration brisk!

i will say; it seems the exhaust noise is gone as well.. i imagine the pre-ignition was also causing the funny exhaust sound. what a simple fix. amazing.. i can't believe i never looked into a higher octane over all these months. just another fine example of; "can't believe everything you read" ..even if Chrysler/Jeep wrote it!
Ok - I don't know much about the Pentastar in particular, but I have a pretty good basic understanding of modern engines. Most seem to have a "knock sensor" that retards timing (and possibly enriches mixture?) when preignition occurs. So, I am kind of at a loss to understand how this could be.

Could you do us a favor and keep your eye on this and see if your conclusion is firm, that different octane clearly affects the noise?

And that also leaves open the question of what is causing the preignition in the first place on an engine that isn't supposed to need premium. I am not 100% sure what this head issue is all about but if oil gets past the valve into the chamber then possibly deposits in the chamber could be getting hot and causing the preignition.

Anybody had a look at their old cylinder head after replacement? Would be really interesting to look at the combustion chambers. Even better if someone posted pics!
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #1572
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Chrysler case management called. They forwarded my case to Parts Expediting. Now instead of the head being scheduled to arrive at the dealer 8/6, it is shipped with an arrival of tomorrow. Looks like I'll have my Jeep by Monday. I'll report back on the tick, mpg, performance etc.
__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #1573
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrugby View Post
Chrysler case management called. They forwarded my case to Parts Expediting. Now instead of the head being scheduled to arrive at the dealer 8/6, it is shipped with an arrival of tomorrow. Looks like I'll have my Jeep by Monday. I'll report back on the tick, mpg, performance etc.

Well that's good news. They are working hard to keep you happy! I hope it goes well for you, and you have a problem free Jeep for as long as you own it!
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #1574
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Ok - I don't know much about the Pentastar in particular, but I have a pretty good basic understanding of modern engines. Most seem to have a "knock sensor" that retards timing (and possibly enriches mixture?) when preignition occurs. So, I am kind of at a loss to understand how this could be.

Could you do us a favor and keep your eye on this and see if your conclusion is firm, that different octane clearly affects the noise?

And that also leaves open the question of what is causing the preignition in the first place on an engine that isn't supposed to need premium. I am not 100% sure what this head issue is all about but if oil gets past the valve into the chamber then possibly deposits in the chamber could be getting hot and causing the preignition.

Anybody had a look at their old cylinder head after replacement? Would be really interesting to look at the combustion chambers. Even better if someone posted pics!
I agree, it could be he had a bad tank of gas. The ECM should adjust timing accordingly for 87 octane fuel and run with no problems. I'd consider a visit to the dealer to have things checked out if it starts pinging again with 87 Octane gas.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #1575
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Well that's good news. They are working hard to keep you happy! I hope it goes well for you, and you have a problem free Jeep for as long as you own it!
Thanks! Yeah, the whole case management process has been very good. My dealer has been great too.

I'm just hoping the new head solves the problem and I can go on my way enjoying the Jeep.
__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #1576
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrugby View Post
Thanks! Yeah, the whole case management process has been very good. My dealer has been great too.

I'm just hoping the new head solves the problem and I can go on my way enjoying the Jeep.
No reason it shouldn't. You were fortunate to get one of the updated heads. I'd say you'll be GTG!
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #1577
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrugby View Post
I asked them for the part # and order #. I asked if the part # indicated whether this was the new head or not. They said, this is a new part # that supercedes the old part, so the dealerships are only able to order the new heads now. I hope that's right. Anyway, now hopefully anyone wondering whether they have the new head or old head, can check by asking which part # it is.

The part # is: RL141353AB

I did some research. The old part is: RL141353AA
.
I can confirm this - ... AB is the part number in my protocol, too.
Feehliks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #1578
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: western KY
Posts: 285
I "bailed" and sold my 2012 JK when it only had 3600 miles on it. It was running fine with no codes and no ticking but if I still had it I would be HOPING that it would start ticking and throwing codes so that I could get the head replaced and not have to worry about it any more. Put me down as one who believes that a very high percentage of those heads of the old design are eventually going to fail.

Tomster
__________________
What if the only things that remained to us today were the things we thanked God for yesterday?
Tomster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #1579
Jeeper
 
doubleuarex2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 76
Im still worried about this...it will be my only vehicle and ifts in the shop for 10 days at least i wont be able to get to work. Also id think the failure would cause a lot of metal shavings to depoait in the oil causing premature wearing of other parts. Anyone else think of this and get concerned over it? I know i am.
doubleuarex2011 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #1580
He's no good to me dead.

WF Supporting Member
 
spankinkopita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleuarex2011
Im still worried about this...it will be my only vehicle and ifts in the shop for 10 days at least i wont be able to get to work.
Your dealer does not provide a loaner for warranty service?
__________________
2012 JKU Sport S Sahara Tan
- Ordered 07/07
- Enjoyed since 08/26

spankinkopita is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #1581
Jeeper
 
2five22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,788
I am in active negotiation to purchase a new JKU and for obvious reasons, the dealerships are trying to move their older stocks of 2012 models.

What exactly should a new buyer be concerned over? Is it merely the 'AA' head castings that were engineered or manufactured incorrectly or what other parts may be involved exactly? Where precisely are the casting numbers on the head so that I can verify that the new 'AB' heads are in place? Does the ECM have to be re-flashed?

I don't care to buy a new vehicle and then take one to three weeks out of my future schedule to deal with warranty repairs, service managers, zone managers, and taxi cabs to and from the dealer.
2five22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #1582
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: western KY
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2five22 View Post
I am in active negotiation to purchase a new JKU and for obvious reasons, the dealerships are trying to move their older stocks of 2012 models.

What exactly should a new buyer be concerned over? Is it merely the 'AA' head castings that were engineered or manufactured incorrectly or what other parts may be involved exactly? Where precisely are the casting numbers on the head so that I can verify that the new 'AB' heads are in place? Does the ECM have to be re-flashed?

I don't care to buy a new vehicle and then take one to three weeks out of my future schedule to deal with warranty repairs, service managers, zone managers, and taxi cabs to and from the dealer.
The re-designed heads just became available in the last few weeks and I'm not sure any of the 2012's got them from the factory.

Tomster
__________________
What if the only things that remained to us today were the things we thanked God for yesterday?
Tomster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #1583
Jeeper
 
TK-213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 83
Is there anything on the head that indicates the part number so one could check?
TK-213 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #1584
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: western KY
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-213 View Post
Is there anything on the head that indicates the part number so one could check?
That's a good question. Anyone know the answer?
__________________
What if the only things that remained to us today were the things we thanked God for yesterday?
Tomster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #1585
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleuarex2011 View Post
Im still worried about this...it will be my only vehicle and ifts in the shop for 10 days at least i wont be able to get to work. Also id think the failure would cause a lot of metal shavings to depoait in the oil causing premature wearing of other parts. Anyone else think of this and get concerned over it? I know i am.
Had not thought of this. I change my own oil, so I'll probably do an early oil change and inspect for metal shavings, like I did when I first got the Jeep. The filters on the 3.6 make it easy to see the shavings.

Not really concerned
__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #1586
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleuarex2011 View Post
Im still worried about this...it will be my only vehicle and ifts in the shop for 10 days at least i wont be able to get to work. Also id think the failure would cause a lot of metal shavings to depoait in the oil causing premature wearing of other parts. Anyone else think of this and get concerned over it? I know i am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankinkopita View Post
Your dealer does not provide a loaner for warranty service?
Exactly. Under warranty, he's entitled to a loaner vehicle for warranty service if the vehicle needs to be held overnight.

Go back and get your rental car, dude.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #1587
Jeeper
 
kbruce130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NW Florida & Arizona
Posts: 104
I wanted to take a moment and pass on some info. My JKU Rubi has the same story you've heard numerous times on this thread; ticking noise, followed CEL, and now it needs the head replaced. When we dropped it off at the dealership on Jul 9 was when we learned it needed the head replacement. It has been sitting there ever since waiting for the parts to come in. This was no big deal since they ponied up a nice rental car. My service adviser called yesterday and told me the head was in and he'd have mine ready as soon as he got the head changed out on another 2012 JK that was in front of mine. Well, I just received a call from him this morning and he advised that Chrysler has just called and instructed him to stop all head replacements on the JK's and to return the replacement heads immediately. My service adviser is a pretty good fellow so I don't think he is pulling any funny business. Chrysler did not give him any direction as to how to handle the issue ticking and CEL issue, but he was hoping to get further words from them in the next few days. In the mean time, he wants me to continue driving my Jeep until we can find a solution. I have no issue with that. And if it drops a valve and blows the engine, its under warranty and they will put a new one in it.

It looks like patience will have to be a virtue for all of us. Hopefully they will find a solution to this soon.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Auto, 4:10, Hardtop, Ace Rocksliders, AEV 3.5 SC Lift, AEV Geo Correction Brackets, Moto Metal 17x9 Wheels, BFG 35x12.5x17 KM2's, Bestop HighRock Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, Smittybilt Atlas Front Bumper, Smittybilt X2O Winch
kbruce130 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #1588
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,746
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbruce130 View Post
I wanted to take a moment and pass on some info. My JKU Rubi has the same story you've heard numerous times on this thread; ticking noise, followed CEL, and now it needs the head replaced. When we dropped it off at the dealership on Jul 9 was when we learned it needed the head replacement. It has been sitting there ever since waiting for the parts to come in. This was no big deal since they ponied up a nice rental car. My service adviser called yesterday and told me the head was in and he'd have mine ready as soon as he got the head changed out on another 2012 JK that was in front of mine. Well, I just received a call from him this morning and he advised that Chrysler has just called and instructed him to stop all head replacements on the JK's and to return the replacement heads immediately. My service adviser is a pretty good fellow so I don't think he is pulling any funny business. Chrysler did not give him any direction as to how to handle the issue ticking and CEL issue, but he was hoping to get further words from them in the next few days. In the mean time, he wants me to continue driving my Jeep until we can find a solution. I have no issue with that. And if it drops a valve and blows the engine, its under warranty and they will put a new one in it.

It looks like patience will have to be a virtue for all of us. Hopefully they will find a solution to this soon.
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #1589
Jeeper
 
j0nx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NoVa
Posts: 848
Of course he wants you to come in and get it and continue driving it because they own it in 10 days if you don't. I would refuse and do lemon law. 30 days. Thems the rules. This is not a good bit of news if they are recalling the recalled heads. Yikes...
__________________
Natural Green 2012 JKU Sport with S Package | Freedom Top | Auto | Side Steps | Max Tow | Connectivity | Remote Start
j0nx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #1590
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
Ouch! I wonder how that effects the 2013's rolling off the line. They were supposed to get the newly redesigned, retooled, head. If true this really sucks!

demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC