Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 54 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #1591
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
Ouch! I wonder how that effects the 2013's rolling off the line. They were supposed to get the newly redesigned, retooled, head. If true this really sucks!
It sucks for those who have to wait it out but it sucks even more for those experiencing issues, as they already own their vehicles!

Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #1592
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Uh oh. If you get a chance, perhaps ask him for the part # on the head he received. I know it's a long shot, but maybe they messed up and sent him the old head.

If not, I smell big trouble.

__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #1593
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrugby View Post
Uh oh. If you get a chance, perhaps ask him for the part # on the head he received. I know it's a long shot, but maybe they messed up and sent him the old head.

If not, I smell big trouble.
Yeah, because if Chrysler just redesigned the head and screwed it up again, I could see them looking for a buyer within the next year or so. I don't think Fiat would hesitate to dump them. One of the main reasons Fiat purchased Chrysler was because they needed an established dealer network in place so they could sell the Fiat 500s here again.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #1594
Jeeper
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 897
Thanks for information. Keep us posted. Mine only has 1100 miles on it so far and has been great (as any vehicle should be new). I am not going to worry about it until the issue shows up. If a check engine light comes on. I will pull over, call Chrysler for a tow.

It will sit at the dealership until resolved. I would refuse to drive any vehicle with the check engine light on and make them aware that the lemon law clock has started. Maybe that would speed things up a bit.

Until then I will just enjoy the vehicle.
Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #1595
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
Yeah, because if Chrysler just redesigned the head and screwed it up again, I could see them looking for a buyer within the next year or so. I don't think Fiat would hesitate to dump them. One of the main reasons Fiat purchased Chrysler was because they needed an established dealer network in place so they could sell the Fiat 500s here again.
I would have loved to see Ford buy them out.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #1596
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
I would have loved to see Ford buy them out.
Ford wouldn't have ever bought them out. What could Chrysler possibly do for Ford, other than bleed them dry of the little they have?
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #1597
Newb
 
Agent003x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 13
I have a 2012 JK with 1,600 miles now and a loud ticking.

Hearing that the higher octane may help, I just went out and coughed up the $4.12 a gallon that they charge in Southern California, and eagerly awaited an improvement in the ticking.

Alas, no difference (other than my wallet being a lot lighter). If anything this engine sounds like it wants diesel fuel.

I don't want to bring it into the dealer yet because Chrysler doesn't have their act together yet. On the bright side, this fiasco has saved me money on a lift and tires, as I don't want to invest too much in a vehicle that Chrysler hasn't demonstrated it can fix yet.

I've owned 3 foreign cars the last 8 years (not a single issue with any of them) after having bad experience with the reliability of two consecutive Fords. However, the lifestyle of the Wrangler convinced me to try American again. Prove me right Chrysler...prove me right.
Agent003x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #1598
He's no good to me dead.

WF Supporting Member
 
spankinkopita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

I would have loved to see Ford buy them out.
lets not be foolish, apple will buy it
__________________
2012 JKU Sport S Sahara Tan
- Ordered 07/07
- Enjoyed since 08/26

spankinkopita is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #1599
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
Ford wouldn't have ever bought them out. What could Chrysler possibly do for Ford, other than bleed them dry of the little they have?
LOL I was hoping they'd take the Jeep brand name to the next level.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #1600
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent003x View Post
I have a 2012 JK with 1,600 miles now and a loud ticking.

Hearing that the higher octane may help, I just went out and coughed up the $4.12 a gallon that they charge in Southern California, and eagerly awaited an improvement in the ticking.

Alas, no difference (other than my wallet being a lot lighter). If anything this engine sounds like it wants diesel fuel.

I don't want to bring it into the dealer yet because Chrysler doesn't have their act together yet. On the bright side, this fiasco has saved me money on a lift and tires, as I don't want to invest too much in a vehicle that Chrysler hasn't demonstrated it can fix yet.

I've owned 3 foreign cars the last 8 years (not a single issue with any of them) after having bad experience with the reliability of two consecutive Fords. However, the lifestyle of the Wrangler convinced me to try American again. Prove me right Chrysler...prove me right.

The higher octane gas is not going to help with a mechanical issue. Also the computer can adjust for octane, so basically all you did was lighten your wallet as you mentioned.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #1601
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
new jk w/ cylinder head issues

Another 2012 w/ cylinder head issues, have 8900 miles and the heads will be replaced sometime next week. Build date of 10/11. Can't wait to see what happens!
wrangled12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #1602
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
The higher octane gas is not going to help with a mechanical issue. Also the computer can adjust for octane, so basically all you did was lighten your wallet as you mentioned.
I think this statement is mostly true, but I also think it's possible for mechanical issues to cause carbon and/or oil deposits on the piston or in the chamber that can lead to preignition. Under those circumstances I think it's not unreasonable (although not necessarily likely) for higher octane to make a noticeable difference.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #1603
He's no good to me dead.

WF Supporting Member
 
spankinkopita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much

I think this statement is mostly true, but I also think it's possible for mechanical issues to cause carbon and/or oil deposits on the piston or in the chamber that can lead to preignition. Under those circumstances I think it's not unreasonable (although not necessarily likely) for higher octane to make a noticeable difference.
logical, in the wifes patriot you go over 89 and itll knock til the tank is dry
__________________
2012 JKU Sport S Sahara Tan
- Ordered 07/07
- Enjoyed since 08/26

spankinkopita is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #1604
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I think this statement is mostly true, but I also think it's possible for mechanical issues to cause carbon and/or oil deposits on the piston or in the chamber that can lead to preignition. Under those circumstances I think it's not unreasonable (although not necessarily likely) for higher octane to make a noticeable difference.
Higher octane gas in an engine calling for regular gas is a waste of money. You'd be better off throwing a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank before you plan on changing your oil. Or find out why the engine doesn't run right on the octane its is supposed to run on. That will clean things up better than a higher octane gas, and cost less too,
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #1605
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
Higher octane gas in an engine calling for regular gas is a waste of money. You'd be better off throwing a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank before you plan on changing your oil. Or find out why the engine doesn't run right on the octane its is supposed to run on. That will clean things up better than a higher octane gas, and cost less too,
I'm not sure we're even disagreeing on anything, but I stand by my reasoning.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #1606
Jeeper
 
kbruce130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NW Florida & Arizona
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
Of course he wants you to come in and get it and continue driving it because they own it in 10 days if you don't. I would refuse and do lemon law. 30 days. Thems the rules. This is not a good bit of news if they are recalling the recalled heads. Yikes...
We are definitely closing in on the FL lemon law rules, but as long as Jeep is making a good faith effort to fix the issue I'd rather keep the Jeep than give it back. Both the wife and I really like the Jeep and desire to keep it for many years to come.

On a positive note, all these issues are really making us feel much better about our decision to purchase the lifetime warranty. At this pace, we should get all of our money back out of it in 2 to 3 years! LOL!
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Auto, 4:10, Hardtop, Ace Rocksliders, AEV 3.5 SC Lift, AEV Geo Correction Brackets, Moto Metal 17x9 Wheels, BFG 35x12.5x17 KM2's, Bestop HighRock Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, Smittybilt Atlas Front Bumper, Smittybilt X2O Winch
kbruce130 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #1607
Jeeper
 
kbruce130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NW Florida & Arizona
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrugby View Post
Uh oh. If you get a chance, perhaps ask him for the part # on the head he received. I know it's a long shot, but maybe they messed up and sent him the old head.

If not, I smell big trouble.
I asked, but he wasn't sure. He did seem confident that he would be getting additional info from Chrysler in the next few days. As soon as I hear something, I'll post it on this thread so everyone is in the loop.

Cheers,
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Auto, 4:10, Hardtop, Ace Rocksliders, AEV 3.5 SC Lift, AEV Geo Correction Brackets, Moto Metal 17x9 Wheels, BFG 35x12.5x17 KM2's, Bestop HighRock Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, Smittybilt Atlas Front Bumper, Smittybilt X2O Winch
kbruce130 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #1608
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbruce130

I asked, but he wasn't sure. He did seem confident that he would be getting additional info from Chrysler in the next few days. As soon as I hear something, I'll post it on this thread so everyone is in the loop.

Cheers,
Thanks! I should have mine back by Tuesday or so. More to come. Verified they received the part yesterday.
__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #1609
He's no good to me dead.

WF Supporting Member
 
spankinkopita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrugby

Thanks! I should have mine back by Tuesday or so. More to come. Verified they received the part yesterday.
Good sign. If the part came in maybe the repair ahead has the previous repair part number. Thanks for keeping us posted
__________________
2012 JKU Sport S Sahara Tan
- Ordered 07/07
- Enjoyed since 08/26

spankinkopita is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #1610
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrugby View Post
Thanks! I should have mine back by Tuesday or so. More to come. Verified they received the part yesterday.
Did you ask your guy if he heard anything re: sending back the new head and not installing it?
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #1611
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Did you ask your guy if he heard anything re: sending back the new head and not installing it?
Yes. He said he had not heard anything of the sort. He's been in direct contact with Chrysler because of the case I opened. His parts shipment had multiple heads for multiple customers too, so I'm not the only one waiting to have this problem solved.
__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #1612
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,462
Sorry I must have missed that. Maybe kbruce's dealer has the wrong head or something is amiss with his part, I hope for Chrysler's and his sake. We'll know next week.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #1613
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Sorry I must have missed that. Maybe kbruce's dealer has the wrong head or something is amiss with his part, I hope for Chrysler's and his sake. We'll know next week.
No worries. I don't think you missed anything. I forgot to mention that i asked him about that.

I'm hoping you're right.
__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #1614
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrugby View Post

I'm hoping you're right.

Me too, or this could become a cluster f ' k.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #1615
Jeeper
 
super chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 43
Hello All. Wanted to chime in have been to my local dealer three times in one week. The first was to have an oil change at 15,000 miles. While going to dealer the check engine light went on very odd but thought it was the usual gas cap issue sine I just filled up. The dealer changed the oil and told me no codes must be the cap they suggested I wait for several drive cycles for the check engine to go off. Well I take the jeep to work the next day 100 miles back the check engine starts flashing and rough idle begins , not good. I go back to dealer next morning and i am told I need a software update. I take the jeep home no check engine light on feeling better. Well 30 miles later and here comes the check engine light again. I go back to dealer the next day and tell them I know what is going on its got to be the head and misfires they said this has been something they are seeing alot of lately. I told them you have the jeep for one week get it fixed. They are working on it presently let's see what they do. I will keep all informed on my experience as well. Thanks for the thread it is helpful to read e everyone's issues as well. (Arctic build 10-11)
super chief is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #1616
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by super chief
Hello All. Wanted to chime in have been to my local dealer three times in one week. The first was to have an oil change at 15,000 miles. While going to dealer the check engine light went on very odd but thought it was the usual gas cap issue sine I just filled up. The dealer changed the oil and told me no codes must be the cap they suggested I wait for several drive cycles for the check engine to go off. Well I take the jeep to work the next day 100 miles back the check engine starts flashing and rough idle begins , not good. I go back to dealer next morning and i am told I need a software update. I take the jeep home no check engine light on feeling better. Well 30 miles later and here comes the check engine light again. I go back to dealer the next day and tell them I know what is going on its got to be the head and misfires they said this has been something they are seeing alot of lately. I told them you have the jeep for one week get it fixed. They are working on it presently let's see what they do. I will keep all informed on my experience as well. Thanks for the thread it is helpful to read e everyone's issues as well. (Arctic build 10-11)
Good luck. Hope they fix it. However, the timing will be based on part availability, if they are replacing the head. The best way to move yourself up in line for the head is to open a case with Chrysler. I suggest calling 1-877-IAMJEEP.

If they ordered a head, get the part # and order # from the dealer. Chrysler has a parts expediting department that can move things along for you. My part arrived 10 days earlier than the earliest possible estimate according to the dealer, but only because I called Chrysler. They also work with the service dept to make sure they are getting things done.
__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #1617
Jeeper
 
2012-Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,891
I'm getting random check engine light, but it never stays long enough to pull a code. 12,500 miles
2012-Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #1618
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,865
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-Rubicon View Post
I'm getting random check engine light, but it never stays long enough to pull a code. 12,500 miles
That would drive me crazy....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #1619
Protector of F5 Keys...

WF Supporting Member
 
ndrugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-Rubicon
I'm getting random check engine light, but it never stays long enough to pull a code. 12,500 miles
Have you been in to see the dealer? Mine came on and went off once before I took it in. They were able to pull the code from the history. I guess the system stores the codes even after they go off.
__________________
2012 Rubicon with Half Doors
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"
GO IRISH!!!
ndrugby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #1620
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Ouch! I wonder how that effects the 2013's rolling off the line. They were supposed to get the newly redesigned, retooled, head. If true this really sucks!
Same thing all of us buying later production 2012's thought.

At the end of the day, it will be taken care of under warranty as long as chrysler/diamler whatever the fawk it is doesn't go under. That's my main worry.

Wharfrat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 12:43 PM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 06:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 11:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 05:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 04:20 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC