Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 71 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #2101
Jeeper
 
sobeperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM

Yes, I am buying the story that there is a new head design. Manufacturers continuously improve designs. Does that make all instances of prior designs defective? No, it just means the new design is less likely to exhibit a failure under certain conditions than the prior design. We haven't seen any instances of Chrysler not standing behind the product when it fails. If Chrysler was willing to buy back Dozer JKs simply because the tint in a batch of paint was off (or give owners 3K in cash if they didn't want a buy back), I'm sure they will do the right thing for affected customers. If I didn't think they would, I wouldn't have ordered one.

Every manufacturer has had these types of situations. These are complex machines made by humans. Humans make mistakes. We've all made mistakes in our jobs. What makes the difference is how the companies take care of their customers when mistakes happen.
Well written! Saved me the time. Lol

sobeperry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #2102
Jeeper
 
GotNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdseefeld View Post
I wonder if fuel economy is a good indicator of the head problem prior to the ticking being evident? Maybe that's why some are complaining about about poor MPG in several threads. I'm still getting ~20 MPG and all is still quiet at 7,0000 mi.
Curious - Among many trucks, cars and three previous Jeeps, I've always been able to drive "smart" and exceed, even by just a little, the max mpg rating. My new '12 hasn't hit 16 as yet. Only 1600 miles so that might be a factor.

__________________
2012 JKU Sport S Gecko
GotNet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #2103
Jeeper
 
sobeperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 599
I'm a pretty aggressive driver. I'm getting around 15 city (local) driving and 20/21 highway.
sobeperry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #2104
Jeeper
 
rdseefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotNet

Curious - Among many trucks, cars and three previous Jeeps, I've always been able to drive "smart" and exceed, even by just a little, the max mpg rating. My new '12 hasn't hit 16 as yet. Only 1600 miles so that might be a factor.
I routinely get 21.5 on the highway and 20 around town. But then again I'm "senior citizen" and seldom push it very hard. It a six speed. On one trip across the state (NC) I got 24.7 mpg. Had a bit of a tailwind though. It's been that good since I bought the JKU Sahara in August of 2011. I like seeing how long I can keep the "Econ" indicator on when I drive. Keep it on and you will surely exceed the EPA estimate.
__________________
OııııııO
rdseefeld is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #2105
Jeeper
 
TJeepman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
Yes, I am buying the story that there is a new head design. Manufacturers continuously improve designs. Does that make all instances of prior designs defective? No, it just means the new design is less likely to exhibit a failure under certain conditions than the prior design. We haven't seen any instances of Chrysler not standing behind the product when it fails. If Chrysler was willing to buy back Dozer JKs simply because the tint in a batch of paint was off (or give owners 3K in cash if they didn't want a buy back), I'm sure they will do the right thing for affected customers. If I didn't think they would, I wouldn't have ordered one.

Every manufacturer has had these types of situations. These are complex machines made by humans. Humans make mistakes. We've all made mistakes in our jobs. What makes the difference is how the companies take care of their customers when mistakes happen.
Thanks for the taste of realism in the midst of a lot of naysaying as to how Chrysler is handling the problem. Without some controls by Chrysler, some Dealerships would be replacing every head on every Pentastar to keep their Mechanics busy and have the $ rolling in. So .... Chrysler is being coy. Would Toyota be any different? Wishful thinking if one says yes.

Speaking of Toyota, the story is that mechanics were able to replace/repair two accelerator pedals in the time allotted for one. So any mechanic working on piece work could make double pay. The quality of work done so quickly is a ?. So the opportunists are there for sure. In the long term, the price goes up and the Customer pays.

Can't blame Chrysler for trying to keep a handle on this. Eventually we will know more. In the meantime, like Toyota's accelerator pedals, the problem gets attended to. Sounds like a win-win to me.

The Wrangler and the minivans are some of Chrysler's best selling vehicles. If they mess up with Customer satisfaction with the Pentastar, then Chrysler will be in serious trouble. They have to make this right, no "ifs, ands or buts".

The sky in't falling:
Quote:
Ah, Henny Penny," said Chicken Little, "the sky is falling, and I must go and tell the king."

"How do you know that the sky is falling, Chicken Little?" asked Henny Penny.

"I saw it with my eyes, I heard it with my ears, and a bit of it fell on my head," said Chicken Little
I saw this posted on a Chrysler minivan forum recently:
Quote:
Worried about the quality your Pentastar 3.6L ? Read this>>
Thought I would share some info with whoever can use it. A company that shuttles people to and from places has a little fleet of Chrysler Minivans.

Two of the 2011 models with the 3.6L that they run have just come in to get looked over. One with 125K had a trans rebuild done, the engine is doing fine. The other has 136K and has a Torque converter code and a P0304...can you guess what that is?

Anyway, the trans in both have never been serviced. The last mileage on the 135K one was 56K last September...so... they are running them VERY hard. None of their oil changes have been less than 8-10K between. The 135K one that needs a head for the misfire has been 13K since last oil change, the other one 12K. The 3.6L seems to be pretty badass in this case. Not saying you shoould wait this long between oil changes BTW.

I'm just wondering how the transmissions would be doing if they had done a pan drop at 50K ? Just something to chew on and discuss.
__________________
2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms
2002 and 2007 Grand Caravans - Sport & SXT
TJeepman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #2106
Jeeper
 
Riccochet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Somewhere around Charlotte
Posts: 805
My JKR has never gotten over 18.5mpg no matter how I drive it. *shrug* It's bone stock as well. Not that I care, just sayin. No tick either at 10k miles.
__________________
ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Riccochet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #2107
Jeeper
 
Canadian GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Niagara Ontario Canada
Posts: 257
The Dodge Avenger has the 3.6 Pentastar under the hood too. Is this the same motor and are they having the same problem?
Canadian GP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #2108
Jeeper
 
sobeperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian GP
The Dodge Avenger has the 3.6 Pentastar under the hood too. Is this the same motor and are they having the same problem?
Yes same and not sure if a problem yet. See if they gave a forum!
sobeperry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #2109
Jeeper
 
KittyPrawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 2,165
Images: 2
I don't know how definite it is... But a jeep service manager I spoke with today said there is a recall coming for the 2012 pentastars regarding valve head or valve cover.

He told me not to tell anyone... So, naturally, it belongs on the internet. Take it with a grain of salt though. He didn't show me any proof. But, he sounded pretty certain.
__________________
Deb
2013 True Blue JKU Rubicon Goodbye Pontiac!
I drive a 4 door. There is more space for bacon inside.
KittyPrawn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #2110
Jeeper
 
tropical36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPrawn View Post
I don't know how definite it is... But a jeep service manager I spoke with today said there is a recall coming for the 2012 pentastars regarding valve head or valve cover.

He told me not to tell anyone... So, naturally, it belongs on the internet. Take it with a grain of salt though. He didn't show me any proof. But, he sounded pretty certain.
Naturally!...
__________________

2010 Wrangler JKUSport Islander, 4WD Auto @ 3.73:1, Sahara wheels and Tires, Trailer Tow Group, Freedom Hardtop, air bag leather seats, Sirius Infinity and pushes a Motor Coach.
tropical36 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #2111
Jeeper
 
RedRubi2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Puget Sound, Wa
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
My JKR has never gotten over 18.5mpg no matter how I drive it. *shrug* It's bone stock as well. Not that I care, just sayin. No tick either at 10k miles.
Right on...my best tank has been 18.5 mpg and I drive pretty conservatively. I have seen people on this forum claiming mid to upper 20's in a Rubicon and quite honestly I am going to call BS.
RedRubi2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #2112
Jeeper
 
rdseefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubi2012

Right on...my best tank has been 18.5 mpg and I drive pretty conservatively. I have seen people on this forum claiming mid to upper 20's in a Rubicon and quite honestly I am going to call BS.
I just drove 63 miles after a fill up and averaged 22.2mpg, according to my trip computer. Mine's a 2012 JKU Sahara, 6 speed. Mountain roads at posted peed limits. So, either my computer is wrong or I got 22.2 mpg. No BS.........
__________________
OııııııO
rdseefeld is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #2113
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 231
I took in my wifes 2012 Grand Cherokee this morning to have it serviced.
I got into a conversation with the service manager over a cup of coffee while I was waiting.
I, of course, asked him what he thought about the head issues. He told me that they have done a head replacemt on a wrangler and three town and countrys so far.
He also told me that their gm told him that the head issue was fixed in June 2012 production and later models. Anything prior has a potential for the head issues, but will be fixed under warranty for the customer.
The gm never told him of what causes the head issues, but Im glad to hear that production models June and later accompanies the better heads.
Mine is a July 2012 build, so Im a little bit more at ease.
simadownow6988 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #2114
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubi2012 View Post
Right on...my best tank has been 18.5 mpg and I drive pretty conservatively. I have seen people on this forum claiming mid to upper 20's in a Rubicon and quite honestly I am going to call BS.
Agreed. I believe there is a lot of false bravado when it comes to fuel economy. I've seen people claiming 24 mpg on the regular. That's what 14% higher than the epa estimated fuel economy? I have a hard time believing it.
watson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #2115
Jeeper
 
TJeepman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 676
Post #2113 has me wondering.
So how can the new head be quickly identified from the old head. Part #s, a blob of paint, what???? Anybody know? A Service Manager or Technician should be able to help us there.
__________________
2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms
2002 and 2007 Grand Caravans - Sport & SXT
TJeepman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #2116
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeepman View Post
Post #2113 has me wondering.
So how can the new head be quickly identified from the old head. Part #s, a blob of paint, what???? Anybody know? A Service Manager or Technician should be able to help us there.
Not for sure. Being part of the engine, I doubt the head will have any sticker on it anywhere. It might have a engraved part number somewhere, but chances are its probably on the back of the head like the GM motors have, and impossible to see.

Im sure that the info the service manager gave me earlier was true. He is a good friend of my fathers.
simadownow6988 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #2117
Jeeper
 
RedRubi2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Puget Sound, Wa
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdseefeld View Post
I just drove 63 miles after a fill up and averaged 22.2mpg, according to my trip computer. Mine's a 2012 JKU Sahara, 6 speed. Mountain roads at posted peed limits. So, either my computer is wrong or I got 22.2 mpg. No BS.........
So there are alot of factors involved, but this article will give you a good "primer" as to why you shouldn't trust your trip computer as a precise measure of fuel economy. In my experience and in alignment with the article....the gauges always tend to report higher than actual values. The gauge is basically counting the number of injector pulses in a certain time period and estimating the fuel delivery given with each pulse and then dividing over the distance driven. As mentioned in the article, not all fuel has the same energy content especially with ethanol blends so the distance achieved through burning the same amount of the fuel in your tank vs what the computer is programmed for is not a constant.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...s-fibbing.html

In order to get an accurate reading, you need to fill up your tank without topping it off. Drive the vehicle for a certain distance, and then ideally return to the same gas station and use the same pump to refill (again do not top off the tank). Then divide the distance driven by the gallons of fuel used to get an actual mpg value.

As a sidenote, I would expect your Sahara to get better mpg's due to the numerically lower axle ratio vs. the Rubicon. I wasn't specifially referring to you with my previous post because I could believe 22 mpgs out of a Sahara on the highway may be achievable under the right conditions, but there were other people on here in different threads posting 27 mpg out of a JKUR. Flat out no way in he%$.
RedRubi2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #2118
Jeeper
 
rdseefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubi2012

So there are alot of factors involved, but this article will give you a good "primer" as to why you shouldn't trust your trip computer as a precise measure of fuel economy. In my experience and in alignment with the article....the gauges always tend to report higher than actual values. The gauge is basically counting the number of injector pulses in a certain time period and estimating the fuel delivery given with each pulse and then dividing over the distance driven. As mentioned in the article, not all fuel has the same energy content especially with ethanol blends so the distance achieved through burning the same amount of the fuel in your tank vs what the computer is programmed for is not a constant.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...s-fibbing.html

In order to get an accurate reading, you need to fill up your tank without topping it off. Drive the vehicle for a certain distance, and then ideally return to the same gas station and use the same pump to refill (again do not top off the tank). Then divide the distance driven by the gallons of fuel used to get an actual mpg value.

As a sidenote, I would expect your Sahara to get better mpg's due to the numerically lower axle ratio vs. the Rubicon. I wasn't specifially referring to you with my previous post because I could believe 22 mpgs out of a Sahara on the highway may be achievable under the right conditions, but there were other people on here in different threads posting 27 mpg out of a JKUR. Flat out no way in he%$.
Thanks for the info. Didn't realize my computer might be "fibbing!" I'll now resort to the old method of miles divided by gallons and se what's what. I've done the mental math a few times and it always seemed close to the computer reading but I'll check it out.
__________________
OııııııO
rdseefeld is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #2119
Jeeper
 
Jlobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotNet

Curious - Among many trucks, cars and three previous Jeeps, I've always been able to drive "smart" and exceed, even by just a little, the max mpg rating. My new '12 hasn't hit 16 as yet. Only 1600 miles so that might be a factor.
I have a new 2012 JKU. Purchased about a month ago and just turned 1400 miles. Local I get approx 17-18 and I just recently took a 200 mile trip and got almost 21 mpg. If I were you I would reset your counter and start fresh and monitor the next 30 days. If you don't break 16mpg , i would have it checked. Once I reset my counter and got into a few tanks of gas.. The avg mpg looked right in line.
Jlobb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #2120
Jeeper
 
Jlobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson

Agreed. I believe there is a lot of false bravado when it comes to fuel economy. I've seen people claiming 24 mpg on the regular. That's what 14% higher than the epa estimated fuel economy? I have a hard time believing it.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1789275518.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	151612

Here's what I've been getting highway w a JKU automatic and 16-17 local.
Jlobb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #2121
Jeeper
 
j.luis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mercedes
Posts: 653
This page has been hijacked by the MPG bug....
__________________
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine, 5sp Auto Trans.
Connectivity Group, Max Tow, Hard Top(Black), 4:10 gears... Bright White Clear Coat.
j.luis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #2122
Jeeper
 
Deepjeep1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdseefeld

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize my computer might be "fibbing!" I'll now resort to the old method of miles divided by gallons and se what's what. I've done the mental math a few times and it always seemed close to the computer reading but I'll check it out.
I think this has already be put somewhere on the mpg thread, not sure where this thread got hijacked.... But anyway, the "computer" calculates mpg based on how you are currently driving hence, real time driving. If you are driving 90 mphs up a steep hill, the computer will read your average mpgs on the lower side vs highway driving at 60 mphs. So it's more of a trending mpg than an actual. With that being said the best way is the old fashion way, hard math, total miles driven divided by gallons full. Computer is just a guide but your real math numbers will sometimes match up though to computer.
__________________
"There's more to me than you'll ever know"
Deepjeep1371 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #2123
Jeeper
 
MichiganJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 286
When were these new heads being used at the factory? Mine rolled off the truck the end of July at the dealer just wondering if I have the newer head design.
MichiganJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #2124
Jeeper
 
flyfish29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New HAMpshire
Posts: 569
I'll repost this article but it doesn't state the date that was given where new engine heads were used but I want to say built after June 25th was the date given?!? Don't quote me on that date though It is in this thread someplace. Too many side conversations make the thread too long to easily search for it. .

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...tastar-problem
__________________
Johnny
"If you aren't going to do something positive in this lifetime, then get out of the way so someone else can!" Me.

2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited S and 1 happy camper!!
It's good to be back in a Jeep!!
flyfish29 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #2125
Jeeper
 
kbruce130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NW Florida & Arizona
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdseefeld View Post
I wonder if fuel economy is a good indicator of the head problem prior to the ticking being evident? Maybe that's why some are complaining about about poor MPG in several threads. I'm still getting ~20 MPG and all is still quiet at 7,0000 mi.
I'm almost reluctant to post this because I don't want to cause anyone unnecessary panic, but it is factual so here we go. Looking back at my situation the fuel mileage slip was the first indicator that something was going on with the engine. For the first 1000 miles we got around 18-19 mpg with our JKUR. Then it dropped down to the 16-18 range. I just accused the wife of being a lead foot and didn't think too much about it. The rest of the story sounds like a lot of the others on this thread. At around 2500 miles the ticking started, around 12000 the CEL came, started running rough with noticeable power loss around 13,500, and head was replaced at 14,600. Its taken 7 visits and 29 days in the shop along with a lot of patience, but I think (and hope) it's fixed. For those who have questionable fuel mileage I'm not trying to cause undue panic, just keep it in the back of your mind that you could possible be seeing the first symptoms of the left side head failure.

Cheers,
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Auto, 4:10, Hardtop, Ace Rocksliders, AEV 3.5 SC Lift, AEV Geo Correction Brackets, Moto Metal 17x9 Wheels, BFG 35x12.5x17 KM2's, Bestop HighRock Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, Smittybilt Atlas Front Bumper, Smittybilt X2O Winch
kbruce130 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #2126
Jeeper
 
rdseefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC mountains
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish29
I'll repost this article but it doesn't state the date that was given where new engine heads were used but I want to say built after June 25th was the date given?!? Don't quote me on that date though It is in this thread someplace. Too many side conversations make the thread too long to easily search for it. .

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...tastar-problem
Questions;

1) Does anyone know if all early heads in the 2012 are likely defective or is it just some heads that could be expected to fail?

2) If you do get a Coded CEL and continue to drive it, could it lead to catastrophic failure?

Chrysler days 0.5% to 1% are involved. I guess I'll just drive it and see. There really isn't any alternative. I just don't relish the idea of having a failure while on a long trip.
__________________
OııııııO
rdseefeld is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #2127
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
JKDozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SWFL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccochet
My JKR has never gotten over 18.5mpg no matter how I drive it. *shrug* It's bone stock as well. Not that I care, just sayin. No tick either at 10k miles.

Quote:Right on...my best tank has been 18.5 mpg and I drive pretty conservatively. I have seen people on this forum claiming mid to upper 20's in a Rubicon and quite honestly I am going to call BS.

15.7 is the best I've gotten in town. I have 2900 miles on it and think this tank is going to below 15......hand calculated, and frankly has me some what concerned.. I drive pretty conservatively also. This Jeep is a rocket compared to the 97' F-250 diesel I drove for 16yrs and have no need to hot-dog it.
__________________
2012 JKR, auto, 410's, Blackrock 909b's, BFG 35x12.5x15 KM2's, Metalcloak 2.5" ARB game changer edition.
JKDozer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #2128
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle GA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdseefeld

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize my computer might be "fibbing!" I'll now resort to the old method of miles divided by gallons and se what's what. I've done the mental math a few times and it always seemed close to the computer reading but I'll check it out.
I track my MPG every fill up by gallons put in over miles driven. The computer usually claims 1 to 2 mpg better than actual and I also reset that every fill up.
Thrasher722 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #2129
Jeeper
 
kbruce130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NW Florida & Arizona
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdseefeld View Post
Questions;

1) Does anyone know if all early heads in the 2012 are likely defective or is it just some heads that could be expected to fail?

2) If you do get a Coded CEL and continue to drive it, could it lead to catastrophic failure?

Chrysler days 0.5% to 1% are involved. I guess I'll just drive it and see. There really isn't any alternative. I just don't relish the idea of having a failure while on a long trip.
Question 1: I can't say for sure, but suspect most of them are susceptible to this failure.

Question 2: The dealership said it wouldn't hurt anything and we drove ours for over 2k with the light on without any significant problems. However, I did notice that the more we drove it the worse it ran. Right before the head was replaced the engine was noticeably running rough and it stalled twice with the wife driving it. Common sense says if you were to drive it long enough with the valves not aligned properly that you could potentially have a serious failure. But since its under warranty and they said to drive it, it wasn't worried at all. I figured if it had a catastrophic failure I'd be getting a new engine instead of a new head.

All that being said, I was equally concerned about driving long distances with it on. I wasn't worried about hurting the engine as much as I hate being stuck on the side of the road. And since my wife drives it most of the time, I was even more concerned about the thoughts of her and the daughter being broken down on the friendly confines of I-10 or I-75.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Auto, 4:10, Hardtop, Ace Rocksliders, AEV 3.5 SC Lift, AEV Geo Correction Brackets, Moto Metal 17x9 Wheels, BFG 35x12.5x17 KM2's, Bestop HighRock Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, Smittybilt Atlas Front Bumper, Smittybilt X2O Winch
kbruce130 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #2130
Jeeper
 
j0nx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NoVa
Posts: 848
Not only that but by driving it under these conditions you are putting strain on the pistons and crank and other internal parts that might show up a LOT sooner down the road and out of powertrain warranty. I aint driving sh!t if a CEL is on and a diagnosis of major engine work (and yes a head is major engine work regardless of what the poseurs here claim) means that it sits with the dealer for a repair and the 30 day lemon law repair clocks starts at that moment. No way I allow my wife to drive a time bomb that could conk out in the middle of the intersection with a semi coming towards her.

__________________
Natural Green 2012 JKU Sport with S Package | Freedom Top | Auto | Side Steps | Max Tow | Connectivity | Remote Start
j0nx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC