Update on ticking Pentastar..new head... - Page 91 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #2701
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Floridah
Posts: 48
Thanks, I appreciate your insight and that fact that you take time to educate me further.

Although +$25,000 to $35,000 is not a huge amount of money, it is a significant sum for a vehicle with these afflictions and the potential to leave one stranded. Albeit only ~1% of the population of engines may be infected.

Our intention was purchase this week and immediately set off on October 15 from Central Florida for Seattle to visit friends, the round trip being 6,000 to 8,000 miles. We will see how it holds up.

Thanks again.

cg2005 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #2702
Jeeper
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg2005 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate your insight and that fact that you take time to educate me further.

Although +$25,000 to $35,000 is not a huge amount of money, it is a significant sum for a vehicle with these afflictions and the potential to leave one stranded. Albeit only ~1% of the population of engines may be infected.

Our intention was purchase this week and immediately set off on October 15 from Central Florida for Seattle to visit friends, the round trip being 6,000 to 8,000 miles. We will see how it holds up.

Thanks again.
Use premium gas!

johnnyjellybean is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #2703
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Floridah
Posts: 48
After reading the last couple of days worth of information here, I concluded that mid grade or higher would be the fuel choice.

It surprises me that a higher octane is required. My wife's Acura calls for premium in the owner's manual. However, I know she has never used anything but low grade cheap fuel for the last 60,000 miles and that engine has a compression ratio of 10.5:1.

Apparently, its computer can compensate with no adverse affects.
cg2005 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #2704
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,342
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Look for Chevron or Shell stations to fill up.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #2705
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Look for Chevron or Shell stations to fill up.
Best!


m998dna is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #2706
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,261
Worst -> Costco, USA, ARCO = BP




.
m998dna is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #2707
Jeeper
 
RooneyGuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 25
Been hanging around for a while. My 2012 was ticking loudly from day 1. CEL finally went on at 9300 miles. Took it in to dealership and at first they pretended not to know about the head issue. I then opened a case with Chrysler. I am now waiting for them to install the new head while I am driving around in a fully covered rental car.
RooneyGuh is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #2708
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
i'm pretty against buying a particular brand of gas. an engine that is spec'd at regular should be designed to run on any regular gas. to spite this, i'm going to run chevron for the next 5 tanks to see if it improves my misfiring at idle. i've filled up at costco since day 1.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #2709
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
i'm pretty against buying a particular brand of gas. an engine that is spec'd at regular should be designed to run on any regular gas. to spite this, i'm going to run chevron for the next 5 tanks to see if it improves my misfiring at idle. i've filled up at costco since day 1.
I posted some info the other morning and the post disappeared.

I have a 1991 Jeep with 180,000 miles with the original injectors. I ran Mobil gas for the first 10 years, it started to stall when firing it up after sitting for 8 hours. I poured Techron fuel injector cleaner into the tank and the problem went away - that was about 11 years ago.

I was a loyal Mobil Oil customer since I was 16 years old .. I managed a station.

It was difficult to change to Chevron but I'm glad I did because Techron really works. My cousin is a Director at Chevron, corporate headquarters. He told me gas is all the same... the only difference is the proprietary additives from the various oil companies. Therefore, when you buy gas from Costco what you're getting is BP gas with their additives. My mom would sit in lines at Costco to save a couple bucks to gas up her Honda and it always idled rough. As soon as I got her swapped over to Chevron, the idle smoothed out.

Top Tier gas is worth every penny over the long haul.


Here's some good reading material:

Is Top Tier gas better for your car?- MSN Money


.
m998dna is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #2710
Jeeper
 
Sixxpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern Tier, N.Y.
Posts: 16
Just had my drivers side head replaced at 14,000 miles. Ticked from day one, check engine light came on, reflashed, came on again the next day, new head. Cylinder # 2 was the problem. Dealership claimed this was the first one.
Sixxpack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #2711
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxpack View Post
Just had my drivers side head replaced at 14,000 miles. Ticked from day one, check engine light came on, reflashed, came on again the next day, new head. Cylinder # 2 was the problem. Dealership claimed this was the first one.
They said it was the first one, lol. I guess they have to downplay the issue. Like I said before when Chrysler shouts from the rooftops the problem has been fixed, then its fixed. Until then its anyone's guess. They will probably claim it was a small % of engines that were effected, and they are happy to report the problem has been solved. Until then we're still in the dark. JMO
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #2712
Jeeper
 
Binx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: western mass
Posts: 400
Does the ticking sound like valves tapping or the injectors on a turbo? The videos online all you hear is engine noise. I noticed it this morning when I left it running to go into the store. Its normally off when Im out of it. I only have 1300 miles.
Binx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #2713
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: western KY
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxpack View Post
Just had my drivers side head replaced at 14,000 miles. Ticked from day one, check engine light came on, reflashed, came on again the next day, new head. Cylinder # 2 was the problem. Dealership claimed this was the first one.
If it's a small dealership that sells very few Wranglers then yours could have truly been the first one.
__________________
What if the only things that remained to us today were the things we thanked God for yesterday?
Tomster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #2714
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,342
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
They said it was the first one, lol. I guess they have to downplay the issue. Like I said before when Chrysler shouts from the rooftops the problem has been fixed, then its fixed. Until then its anyone's guess. They will probably claim it was a small % of engines that were effected, and they are happy to report the problem has been solved. Until then we're still in the dark. JMO
You can read the views of Bob Lee and Doug Betts here: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...308139957/1147

According to Lee, the problem only effects a small number and has already been taken care of. LOL
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #2715
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
You can read the views of Bob Lee and Doug Betts here: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...308139957/1147

According to Lee, the problem only effects a small number and has already been taken care of. LOL

Lee & Betts should come visit this site and see just how small a problem it is. When our insiders say its fixed I'll believe it, their silence is troubling. Does that article refer to the "AB" head or the "AC" head? LOL
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #2716
Jeeper
 
TexMedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 217
The question I'd like answered is if the 13's that are having trouble have the AC head in them or not. If they do then this is really bad news.
TexMedic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #2717
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,342
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
I was amused by their use of "corporate speak" in describing the cause of the problem. My favorite was "this was quite a challenge" but we now have a more "robust head. Hmmm......my gf has more robust headlight's than my ex wife.

I don't recall anything in the article about which head they are referring to.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #2718
Jeeper
 
Schocker65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 73
Update on my misfire.

Misfire subsided for a day or two, but my fuel economy nosedived, and the misfire has returned intermittently. It also now requires a noticeably heavier foot in cruising situations to maintain speed (this kinda explains the fuel economy woes). Overall, the motor is quite unresponsive to light throttle inputs, and the power delivery has become much less linear in the 1500 - 2500 rpm range..

Then today, while doing some moderate wheeling, the CEL pops on. Note that I have not heard any ticking that I would identify with anything but normal injector/valve train noise.

I parked it at the dealership and dumped the keys and an explanation in the night drop off box. I'm at 2,279 miles. Hoping that they will handle this promptly and professionally, whatever the problem may be. My gut feeling is that I'll soon be the recipient of a new cylinder head. I'm also thinking, however, that it will take more than one visit to the service guys to get that diagnosis.

I'll let you know what I hear tomorrow.
Schocker65 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #2719
Newb
 
Tinmans jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Riverside
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schocker65 View Post
Update on my misfire.

Misfire subsided for a day or two, but my fuel economy nosedived, and the misfire has returned intermittently. It also now requires a noticeably heavier foot in cruising situations to maintain speed (this kinda explains the fuel economy woes). Overall, the motor is quite unresponsive to light throttle inputs, and the power delivery has become much less linear in the 1500 - 2500 rpm range..

Then today, while doing some moderate wheeling, the CEL pops on. Note that I have not heard any ticking that I would identify with anything but normal injector/valve train noise.

I parked it at the dealership and dumped the keys and an explanation in the night drop off box. I'm at 2,279 miles. Hoping that they will handle this promptly and professionally, whatever the problem may be. My gut feeling is that I'll soon be the recipient of a new cylinder head. I'm also thinking, however, that it will take more than one visit to the service guys to get that diagnosis.

I'll let you know what I hear tomorrow.
what's the build date of your jeep ?
Tinmans jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #2720
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
sandbaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxpack View Post
Just had my drivers side head replaced at 14,000 miles. Ticked from day one, check engine light came on, reflashed, came on again the next day, new head. Cylinder # 2 was the problem. Dealership claimed this was the first one.
Time to look for a new dealer. I'd bet money it wasn't the first and you were lied to so get ahead of the curve and find an honest dealer.
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon -Natural green pearlcoat

Nvergiveup
sandbaja is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #2721
Jeeper
 
Schocker65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmans jeep
what's the build date of your jeep ?
I think It was a mid to late July build date, as far as I can remember. I have not checked the head part# previously. I assumed with a July vehicle build date, my head would have been supplied prior to the changes that have been discussed.

I work in manufacturing as a buyer of machined and cast metal components. I have seen a fair number of quality related failures that are a combination of minor tolerance non-conformances. My theory is that there is a fairly large number of heads out there that were machined improperly, resulting in a high stress area not having enough metal behind/around the machined feature. Take your pick as to whether the machining is at fault, or if the design/tooling for the casting leaves too little aluminum in the area of the machined feature. The latter case meshes with the "more robust" head that has been mentioned by the Mopar honk. We may never know the answers to these questions.

My sincere hope is that Chrysler does know wtf is going on, and has addressed the problem appropriately, so those with the affected components can have trouble free motors after they are repaired.
Schocker65 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #2722
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: western KY
Posts: 285
Since I sold my Jeep I am not the one who should do this because some people resent the fact that I am still interested in this head problem; but if someone would simply start a poll with the restriction that a person must have accumulated at least 12,000 miles on his or her 2012 JK in order to vote and that only CONFIRMED head problems are counted, not just "ticking" or CELs, then we might get somewhat of an idea as to how prevalent the problem is.

I started a poll several weeks ago and many of the people who voted that they did not have the problem found out later that they do have it. I set the mileage limit too low. It can take up to 10K to 12K for the problem to show up and sometimes even longer.

Here's the way I would set it up if I were going to start the poll myself. I would also encourage people who had voted in earlier polls to please vote again in this one.

I have at least 12,000 miles on my 2012 JK and I

1. have NOT had a confrimed head problem so far
2. have had a confirmed head problem

Tomster
__________________
What if the only things that remained to us today were the things we thanked God for yesterday?
Tomster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #2723
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 157
16k and just had the head replaced today. wasnt to bad of an ordeal.

it took 5 days for the head to come in and had the use of my own jeep while waiting.

took 1 day to put in , dropped it off at 7:30am and got it back at 4:oopm.

got a 4 wheel drive service and oil change while i was there too so over all not really an issue.

ill check the rest of the week for any leaks and hopefully thats the end of it.

i had no ticking but the cel light went on and off. i have to admit the new head version ac is alot quieter .
mathjak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #2724
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Payson,AZ
Posts: 240
Waiting for JK to be built- maybe this week. Hope new ac head solves the problem. This is our first Jeep and Chrysler product. What a time to jump in! I did not know of these problems until after I ordered it. Very nervous waiter.
HRR1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #2725
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,574
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
I posted some info the other morning and the post disappeared.

I have a 1991 Jeep with 180,000 miles with the original injectors. I ran Mobil gas for the first 10 years, it started to stall when firing it up after sitting for 8 hours. I poured Techron fuel injector cleaner into the tank and the problem went away - that was about 11 years ago.

I was a loyal Mobil Oil customer since I was 16 years old .. I managed a station.

It was difficult to change to Chevron but I'm glad I did because Techron really works. My cousin is a Director at Chevron, corporate headquarters. He told me gas is all the same... the only difference is the proprietary additives from the various oil companies. Therefore, when you buy gas from Costco what you're getting is BP gas with their additives. My mom would sit in lines at Costco to save a couple bucks to gas up her Honda and it always idled rough. As soon as I got her swapped over to Chevron, the idle smoothed out.

Top Tier gas is worth every penny over the long haul.


Here's some good reading material:

Is Top Tier gas better for your car?- MSN Money


.
Very, very interesting article. I googled Top Tier gas afterwards. Maybe that is the issue. It isn't so much that a higher octane is needed...it is that a better quality gas is needed.
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #2726
Jeeper
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 209
double post
johnnyjellybean is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #2727
Jeeper
 
johnnyjellybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
Very, very interesting article. I googled Top Tier gas afterwards. Maybe that is the issue. It isn't so much that a higher octane is needed...it is that a better quality gas is needed.
Regardless of top tier or not.......... higher octane wil stop pinging

I've been putting in 91 since the past week and all is good again.
johnnyjellybean is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #2728
Jeeper
 
Schocker65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schocker65

I think It was a mid to late July build date, as far as I can remember. I have not checked the head part# previously. I assumed with a July vehicle build date, my head would have been supplied prior to the changes that have been discussed.

I work in manufacturing as a buyer of machined and cast metal components. I have seen a fair number of quality related failures that are a combination of minor tolerance non-conformances. My theory is that there is a fairly large number of heads out there that were machined improperly, resulting in a high stress area not having enough metal behind/around the machined feature. Take your pick as to whether the machining is at fault, or if the design/tooling for the casting leaves too little aluminum in the area of the machined feature. The latter case meshes with the "more robust" head that has been mentioned by the Mopar honk. We may never know the answers to these questions.

My sincere hope is that Chrysler does know wtf is going on, and has addressed the problem appropriately, so those with the affected components can have trouble free motors after they are repaired.
Ok. Dealership called toward the end of the day and said, "Well, you need a new driver's side cylinder head". I think he may have expected me to be surprised. Anyway, service advisor was cool about it, said it would be 2 to 4 days to get the head and a day after that. Said they have done "a few" head replacements related to this problem. Said he had a guy who's experienced and good at the job. I didn't press for any further details, as I was very relieved that I wouldn't have to fight them to get the proper diagnosis.

Happy to be getting it out of the way.
Schocker65 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #2729
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schocker65 View Post
Ok. Dealership called toward the end of the day and said, "Well, you need a new driver's side cylinder head". I think he may have expected me to be surprised. Anyway, service advisor was cool about it, said it would be 2 to 4 days to get the head and a day after that. Said they have done "a few" head replacements related to this problem. Said he had a guy who's experienced and good at the job. I didn't press for any further details, as I was very relieved that I wouldn't have to fight them to get the proper diagnosis.

Happy to be getting it out of the way.
you should've had an AB head. you should ask them what the part number was on your defective head.

the demand for good head is high.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #2730
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 301
How do you know which head you have?

__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can you tell if your head or head gasket is cracked/blown? archt JK General Discussion Forum 5 10-19-2012 11:43 AM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
Really bummed...cracked head? rospan TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-03-2011 10:58 AM
I need a head... oops... a 4.0 head! kllrdana TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-26-2011 04:36 PM
Head Unit Jacked!!! TJChris27 TJ General Discussion Forum 15 03-25-2011 03:20 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC