Upgrade from stock sport shocks to rubicon shocks. - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Newb
 
Geezmrgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Geezmrgz is on a distinguished road
Upgrade from stock sport shocks to rubicon shocks.

I was wondering if I should upgrade my 2008 2 door jk from its factory shocks to the rubicon factory shocks. Will I notice a difference in the ride at all? Is there anything extra I have to add since my jk is not a rubicon? Just curious, this is my 1st jeep just wanting to upgrade but not to familiar with jeeps. Thanks
Geezmrgz is offline   Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 3,846
nwbronco is on a distinguished road
May be a bit stiffer. You'd need Rubicon springs as well to gain any lift.

Bob K.

nwbronco is online now   Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Kevlars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 539
Kevlars is on a distinguished road
I will too. Moving up 3 inches and to Elka shocks
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
JKUR 2013,Teraflex 3 inch Lift,Teraflex Full 8 adj. arms
Elka Springs,Teraflex Front Monster Track bar,AEV Heat Reduction Hood,AEV Snorkel,SY-Clone Pre-Filter, AEV Front and Rear bumpers, Warn Zeon 10-S Winch, BFG 35 inch tires.
Kevlars is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Newb
 
Geezmrgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Geezmrgz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
May be a bit stiffer. You'd need Rubicon springs as well to gain any lift.

Bob K.
So I will actually get a lift if I use rubicon springs too? How much of a lift? And are the rubicon shocks just stiffer than the sport?
Geezmrgz is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Crush21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 351
Crush21 is on a distinguished road
Lot of false info in this thread, for example, THERE IN NO SUCH THING AS RUBI SPRINGS. All wrangler springs come with part numbers 19front 60 rear are the stiffest/largest but they vary to 18-59 17-58 16-57 56....all depending on things that have nothing to do with a rubicon/sport/Sahara model name. Unlimiteds with max tow and hardtop usually get the stiffer springs but it really is just mostly luck of the draw on what numbers you get. I've seen rubis with the lowest numbered springs, while my base sport unlimited had 17-58. Unless the springs are off a 10th anniversary edition (came stock with a little larger spring for a little more lift), there is no extra lift just because they are off a rubicon.
Crush21 is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
Newb
 
Geezmrgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Geezmrgz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush21 View Post
Lot of false info in this thread, for example, THERE IN NO SUCH THING AS RUBI SPRINGS. All wrangler springs come with part numbers 19front 60 rear are the stiffest/largest but they vary to 18-59 17-58 16-57 56....all depending on things that have nothing to do with a rubicon/sport/Sahara model name. Unlimiteds with max tow and hardtop usually get the stiffer springs but it really is just mostly luck of the draw on what numbers you get. I've seen rubis with the lowest numbered springs, while my base sport unlimited had 17-58. Unless the springs are off a 10th anniversary edition (came stock with a little larger spring for a little more lift), there is no extra lift just because they are off a rubicon.
What would I expect from these kind of coils then Front coil # 52126314ac / Rear coil # 68004257aa? What would the stiffness for these?
Geezmrgz is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Crush21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 351
Crush21 is on a distinguished road
Last two numbers of each 14-57 not very good at all, higher the number=more stiff you want 19-60 18-59. Don't waste your money on takeoffs, blow the extra few hundred and get a real lift. The gain from takeoffs will be minimal if anything, check your spring numbers now, you might have higher than those already.
Crush21 is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
Newb
 
Geezmrgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Geezmrgz is on a distinguished road
What would be my most bang for the buck then? I don't wanna go no more than 3inch lift. But I don't want crap either
Geezmrgz is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Faith and Trust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 258
Faith and Trust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezmrgz View Post
What would be my most bang for the buck then? I don't wanna go no more than 3inch lift. But I don't want crap either
The most bang for the buck WOULD be doing a Mopar coil spring swap. By definition, it is a "real lift." Went from 14/56s to 18/59 and rubicon shocks for $140 new. If to do differently, OME light springs and nitro shocks, would get the nod.
Faith and Trust is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Crush21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 351
Crush21 is on a distinguished road
TF1352000 Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with shock adaptors. Uses stock shocks (or the rubicon shocks if you'd like) and is a complete kit, won't need anything else but wheel spacers of you use your stock wheels. I'm still on stock wheels an tires and stock sport shocks. Rides great and looks awesome, just need some bigger tires and I'm set. Probably all in for $550-600. Message forum sponsors who sell the kit and you will get a good deal, got mine shipped for $50 less than the retail price (on quadratec, other stores) think I paid ) $439 for lift and 125$ for spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1908046669.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	338385  
Crush21 is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Crush21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 351
Crush21 is on a distinguished road
Another. Also sits very level and I am confident it won't sag with any weight added to the front (bumper/winch)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3010894788.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	338409  
Crush21 is offline   Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Loveland, OH + Franklin NC.
Posts: 139
Mr Bill is on a distinguished road
You should get best Bang/Buck by picking up JK OEM take-off springs. My research suggests that you get about 0.5" lift / digit increase on front shocks....while back shock upgrades (less lift / digit increase and less consistent results) give about 0.2 to 0.4" / digit increase. This assumes no other changes are introduced into the equation. Both the 4-dr & hard-top options have more impact on rear springs. Subject ratios include input from Jeep Service & Re-build shop folks. The JK OEM shocks should work with such a spring lifts up to 2". This is the approach I'm taking with my 2013 Sport 2-dr.
Mr Bill is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
TakHardRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,111
TakHardRock is on a distinguished road
I just bought 2013 10th Anniversary 2 Door Rubicon shocks and springs. Would these fit my 2012 JK Sport without any problems? Do I need to get anything else to make it fit? Thanks!
__________________
____________
/ l..... ,[____],

( l-H --- R---l- OlllllllO-

( )_) _____( )_)-o o-)_)
TakHardRock is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: N Indianapolis
Posts: 340
JSichthus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJWS12 View Post
I just bought 2013 10th Anniversary 2 Door Rubicon shocks and springs. Would these fit my 2012 JK Sport without any problems? Do I need to get anything else to make it fit? Thanks!
They'll fit and provide a slight lift...best to have the Jeep aligned after install. Can probably swap springs and shocks in your driveway in about 2 hours with a buddy if neither of you have worked on a Jeep but can twist a wrench. Floor jack, jack stands, 18mm and 16mm wrenches and sockets needed...and I forget what size is on top of front shocks. Ratcheting wrenches will save you time and frustration.
JSichthus is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
TakHardRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,111
TakHardRock is on a distinguished road
Thanks, can I use this instruction? Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Old Man Emu Jeep JK Wrangler 2″ Lift Installation Write-Up. I have one 2 ton aluminum floor jack from Harbor Freight and two 3 ton jack stands. Would this work?
__________________
____________
/ l..... ,[____],

( l-H --- R---l- OlllllllO-

( )_) _____( )_)-o o-)_)
TakHardRock is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: N Indianapolis
Posts: 340
JSichthus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJWS12 View Post
Thanks, can I use this instruction? Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Old Man Emu Jeep JK Wrangler 2″ Lift Installation Write-Up. I have one 2 ton aluminum floor jack from Harbor Freight and two 3 ton jack stands. Would this work?
Pretty much. You won't have the OME 1/2" Spring spacers to add and regardless of transmission, shouldn't need to remove any skid plates. You also should not need to remove your track bar. Basically just follow steps for unbolting shocks, swaybar links, wheels, brake lines, etc.

In the long run you might want to consider an adjustable track bar (such as that from JKS), and a better quality steering stabilizer (Such as a Bilstein 5100). I'd take these steps if you get some death wobble, but given that you probably won't see more than 1" of lift, your Jeep should do fine.
JSichthus is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
TakHardRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,111
TakHardRock is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the info.
__________________
____________
/ l..... ,[____],

( l-H --- R---l- OlllllllO-

( )_) _____( )_)-o o-)_)
TakHardRock is offline   Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
TakHardRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,111
TakHardRock is on a distinguished road
Finally got it done by myself took about 4 hours. It looks great, the steering wheel seems to be straight and it feels lighter. Should I have the alignment done?
__________________
____________
/ l..... ,[____],

( l-H --- R---l- OlllllllO-

( )_) _____( )_)-o o-)_)
TakHardRock is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #19
Newb
 
Geezmrgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Geezmrgz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJWS12 View Post
Finally got it done by myself took about 4 hours. It looks great, the steering wheel seems to be straight and it feels lighter. Should I have the alignment done?
How much of a lift did you get from this? If any at all? I'm just waiting for the coils and shocks I got from eBay to do this.. Was their any complications?
Geezmrgz is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
TakHardRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,111
TakHardRock is on a distinguished road
I forgot to measure, but did take before and after pics. I would say maybe an inch more when I compared the shocks and springs. I also have 10A wheels and tires so it looks much better. There were no complications, just make sure you have the right tools. For the fronts, make sure to free the brake lines by removing the nut, as well as the rears. On the passenger side shock, I'm not sure why there is no access to the top nut so I had to cut the plastic part a little so I can get my tool to it instead of removing the whole plastic piece.
__________________
____________
/ l..... ,[____],

( l-H --- R---l- OlllllllO-

( )_) _____( )_)-o o-)_)
TakHardRock is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thunder Bay ON Canada
Posts: 2,434
JTPhoto JK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
You should get best Bang/Buck by picking up JK OEM take-off springs. My research suggests that you get about 0.5" lift / digit increase on front shocks....while back shock upgrades (less lift / digit increase and less consistent results) give about 0.2 to 0.4" / digit increase. This assumes no other changes are introduced into the equation. Both the 4-dr & hard-top options have more impact on rear springs. Subject ratios include input from Jeep Service & Re-build shop folks. The JK OEM shocks should work with such a spring lifts up to 2". This is the approach I'm taking with my 2013 Sport 2-dr.
Shocks do not lift..

The only real increase you get from OEM springs is if you get 19/60 18/59 take offs from an Unlimited and put them on a 2dr that has light springs like 13/53. The lift is because the springs are stiffer so be prepared for a stiffer ride. If you want a little comfort in your ride just get a proper lift with all the proper parts to lift and handle properly.. Most guys that do the OEM swap end up changing them out within a year or less. A lot of work for an incremental increase.
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, Trax-Lok Rear Diff, Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB, PitBull Rockers 37x12.50x17 on ProComp 7069 alloys, AEV Premium Bumper, D44 HD, 5.38, OX locker My BRUTUS BUILD
JTPhoto JK is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: N Indianapolis
Posts: 340
JSichthus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK View Post
Shocks do not lift.. The only real increase you get from OEM springs is if you get 19/60 18/59 take offs from an Unlimited and put them on a 2dr that has light springs like 13/53. The lift is because the springs are stiffer so be prepared for a stiffer ride. If you want a little comfort in your ride just get a proper lift with all the proper parts to lift and handle properly.. Most guys that do the OEM swap end up changing them out within a year or less. A lot of work for an incremental increase.
I ran the Rubi suspension for about 4 years, and had about 1.75" lift with it. I was building to handle Gator trails at the family farm, which includes several steep creek crossings. If the goal is to clear 33x12.5's and improve clearance a bit, this can be the cheapest and most effective way to do so. I'd say that it's much better money spent than on a budget RC 2 1/2" lift or a spacer lift...and it's definitely better than a mere body lift

There's also a lot to learn from driving your nearly stock Jeep and installing a VERY simple lift like this before blowing the budget up with long arms.

Lastly: YES, get it aligned! Especially if you live in a northern, cold weather climate. Cold temps increase the Jeeps susceptibility to death wobble. An alignment should always be done after lifting, but can also help avoid death wobble.
JSichthus is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
myrtlebeachjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: myrtle beach,sc
Posts: 319
myrtlebeachjeep is on a distinguished road
My 2014 Rubi X came with 18/59 springs and sit taller than my Sahara with 33's on it did....
__________________
2016 JKU Rubicon HardRock
myrtlebeachjeep is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Scott2373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,702
Scott2373 is on a distinguished road
I'm resurrecting this one. I currently have 13/55 springs. Sunday I'm picking up Rubi shocks and 18/59 springs with sway bar links and front coil spacers (factory). With this increase in numbers, will it be necessary to use the coil spacers, and how much lift should I expect? Would an alignment and straightening the steering wheel be necessary? Any advice is welcome. I'm new to this with a limited budget, hence the reason I'm going in this direction. Thank you very much!
__________________
2013 Sport in Commando Green [Traded for 2015 F150]
3.73 Gears, A/C, 6-Speed
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)==)_)
MOLON LABE
Scott2373 is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
TakHardRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,111
TakHardRock is on a distinguished road
No more rubicon suspension guys. It feels a little stiff sometime. Will upgrade to AEV 2.5" lift soon.
__________________
____________
/ l..... ,[____],

( l-H --- R---l- OlllllllO-

( )_) _____( )_)-o o-)_)
TakHardRock is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Scott2373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,702
Scott2373 is on a distinguished road
Perhaps I should consult daggo66 for this one...
__________________
2013 Sport in Commando Green [Traded for 2015 F150]
3.73 Gears, A/C, 6-Speed
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)==)_)
MOLON LABE
Scott2373 is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
keviper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 4,155
keviper1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2373 View Post
I'm resurrecting this one. I currently have 13/55 springs. Sunday I'm picking up Rubi shocks and 18/59 springs with sway bar links and front coil spacers (factory). With this increase in numbers, will it be necessary to use the coil spacers, and how much lift should I expect? Would an alignment and straightening the steering wheel be necessary? Any advice is welcome. I'm new to this with a limited budget, hence the reason I'm going in this direction. Thank you very much!
Scott, I very vaguely remember a thread on this fairly recently?...I could be wrong. Maybe one of the guys brought it up on the Willys thread. Did you try searching rubicon springs?
__________________
2015 JKUR Hard Rock - Anvil
keviper1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Scott2373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,702
Scott2373 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by keviper1 View Post

Scott, I very vaguely remember a thread on this fairly recently?...I could be wrong. Maybe one of the guys brought it up on the Willys thread. Did you try searching rubicon springs?
I said "screw it" and just PM'd Daggo66. I know there have been a metric buttload of posts regarding this in the past and I hate rehashing old topics unnecessarily. Daggo is the resident pro on this one, so I decided to go right to the heart of the matter!
__________________
2013 Sport in Commando Green [Traded for 2015 F150]
3.73 Gears, A/C, 6-Speed
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)==)_)
MOLON LABE
Scott2373 is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Loveland, OH + Franklin NC.
Posts: 139
Mr Bill is on a distinguished road
JTPhoto JK...above is correct...I did not mean shocks provide lift I meant "springs" provide lift in my 9-14-13 post (sorry if I mislead anyone).
Mr Bill is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
keviper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 4,155
keviper1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2373 View Post
I said "screw it" and just PM'd Daggo66. I know there have been a metric buttload of posts regarding this in the past and I hate rehashing old topics unnecessarily. Daggo is the resident pro on this one, so I decided to go right to the heart of the matter!
Roger that - would you mind sharing what you learn from Daggo? Would probably be good to place here because I've seen it pop up quite a few times with people looking for a small lift at a reasonable price. I think it even popped up in the Willys thread with some guys with 2 doors looking for 4dr take offs.

__________________
2015 JKUR Hard Rock - Anvil
keviper1 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC