Can't wait to do this to mine! Just need to figure out where to store the hardtop. Apartment life...
Originally Posted by AllshoNogo
I am in an apartment as well but I got lucky and my apartment has a garage I can store all my stuff in and park my jeep in too
I'm on the first floor (apt), mine is setting just inside by the back slider doors. Came in through the front........tight fit. Next time it'll be out the back, though that won't be till I retire and hit the road.
Installed a Harken Hoist 145lb lift for my hard top. Preparing to install my Bestop Supertop NX.
Decided to install the pig-tail hooks directly to the joists. Once I figured out where the were it was simply drill-n-screw. Precision does not matter, just hit a stud.
My garage ceiling has several covered beams which run perpendicular to the drive bays. This meant installing the hoist pulley across the garage, in the other bay. Threaded the lines.
- Follow the instructions. No, really.
- Tighten up all slack, eliminating excess length
- Make sure all knots are the same height, and as close to the hard top as possible. This will allow you to raise the top higher / closer to the ceiling.
- Pay attention when lifting!! Because my knots were all not the same height (originally), one knot hit a ceiling pulley early on. Thinking I still had more room to lift, I kept pulling to lift the top. The hoist I purchased has a 6:1 lifting ratio so it was possible for me to simply keep on pulling. I ended up bending one of the eye-bolts!! Pay attention when lifting!!
- After my top was lifted, I lowered it onto saw horses and ended up re-tying all knots as well as adjusting both straps.
- I can now tie a figure 8 knot like a pro!
Hopefully I can install my soft top tomorrow.
2012 JK Sahara, Black
Hardtop, Supertop NX
Hard Top and all four doors are off. Mesh top is ready, for the trails tomorrow.
2012 Wrangler Altitude - Deep Cherry Red
Ace Rock Rails
Cobra 75 with Firestick
3.5 Rubicon Express Standard Lift with Bilstien 5100
Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R/18 on Stock Wheels with 1.5" Spacers