What is the first thing I should do to my jeep? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kilgore, TX
Posts: 4
What is the first thing I should do to my jeep?

I am getting a 2008 Jeep Unlimited. It is pretty bare bones. No nerfbars and it came with gross wheel covers. Soft top and no extras. I am a teacher so I don't have a ton of money to pour into it right away.

Any suggestions on things that should be done first?

K

Kln05a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln05a View Post
I am getting a 2008 Jeep Unlimited. It is pretty bare bones. No nerfbars and it came with gross wheel covers. Soft top and no extras. I am a teacher so I don't have a ton of money to pour into it right away.

Any suggestions on things that should be done first?

K

Get you a 2'' budget boost (BB) its under 200.00

__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Casotakar1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,214
best bang for the buck as far as looks are concerned and practical basic off road purposes would be 33" tires and new rims. show those kiddies who's boss when you roll up and take the principles spot...
Casotakar1229 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln05a View Post
I am getting a 2008 Jeep Unlimited. It is pretty bare bones. No nerfbars and it came with gross wheel covers. Soft top and no extras. I am a teacher so I don't have a ton of money to pour into it right away.

Any suggestions on things that should be done first?

K
Drive it stock. Learn about it. Take it off-road and see what it'll do w/no mods (you'll be very surprised).

Not that anyone's gonna mistake Jeep mileage for that of a moped, but once you throw some bigger tires and a lift on it your be happy with mileage equivalent to an adolescent.

Worst thing you can do is get in a hurry and try to keep up with the Joneses. Anything you do to your Jeep in terms of lift and wheels/tires can have unintended repercussions...it's crucial that you do your research before making that move, IMO.

That said, I'm sure you wanna make your Jeep unique.

So here are a few links to threads dealing with simple, relatively inexpensive mods (and a freebie...turn your rearview mirror upside down; you'll have a better view out the back):

Quadratec's Floor Liners - new version - pics
Rubber floor mats???
Weathertech floor liners

Replace stock antenna...

grab handle recommendations?

Need Opinion on Grille Inserts

Stubby Front Bumper Installed.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Ex Navy man
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,767
Find a trail
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 'burque
Posts: 9,640
Remove the top & doors!
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,064
Are you planning to take it off road? What's your budget like?

If off roading, you'll want rails. Ace Rock rails run around $400 shipped.
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 610
The first thing I always do are security mods. Tuffy products in particular. What good is being topless and doorless if you have no secure places to put anything when you park somewhere?
Wharfrat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Drive it stock. Learn about it. Take it off-road and see what it'll do w/no mods (you'll be very surprised).

Not that anyone's gonna mistake Jeep mileage for that of a moped, but once you throw some bigger tires and a lift on it your be happy with mileage equivalent to an adolescent.

Worst thing you can do is get in a hurry and try to keep up with the Joneses. Anything you do to your Jeep in terms of lift and wheels/tires can have unintended repercussions...it's crucial that you do your research before making that move, IMO.

That said, I'm sure you wanna make your Jeep unique.

So here are a few links to threads dealing with simple, relatively inexpensive mods (and a freebie...turn your rearview mirror upside down; you'll have a better view out the back):

Quadratec's Floor Liners - new version - pics
Rubber floor mats???
Weathertech floor liners

Replace stock antenna...

grab handle recommendations?

Need Opinion on Grille Inserts

Stubby Front Bumper Installed.

X2

There is much wisdom here.

The only things you need to spend any money at all on for starters is a tank of gas and a sandwich.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
KevinWarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yukon, OK
Posts: 162
Drive it. Your jeep is cool already.
__________________
I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
KevinWarren is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
TheNatePatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 41
strider_mt2k and KevinWarren are right; it's a sweet ride already. If you have to change something on it though, I would recommend getting a new Antenna to replace that fencing rapier on the front of your Jeep.

Just my $0.02
__________________
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
TheNatePatrick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 117
Make checking craigslist a daily habit. You can score some great deals if your patient and have cash ready. It helps if you live in an area where there are a lot of jeepers, or a large city. If you are not too far from a large city, you could set up 2 searches to check daily.

How to:
Go to craigslist and find your local city/area. In the search bar type in "jeep jk" or even just "jeep" and hit enter. Save that link by dragging the little peace sign in the search bar onto your links bar. Check that link daily and save up a couple hundred bucks.

People upgrade their new JK all the time and you can find some pretty good deals on stuff they no longer want. If you have a stock sport you could keep an eye out for a set of 5 Rubicon model tires and wheels for around $500-600 with less than 10k miles on them. People also get rails, bumpers, and other mods and decide it's not for them or they upgrade higher and sell them on craigslist.

Happy hunting.
odimodus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by odimodus
Make checking craigslist a daily habit. You can score some great deals if your patient and have cash ready. It helps if you live in an area where there are a lot of jeepers, or a large city. If you are not too far from a large city, you could set up 2 searches to check daily.

How to:
Go to craigslist and find your local city/area. In the search bar type in "jeep jk" or even just "jeep" and hit enter. Save that link by dragging the little peace sign in the search bar onto your links bar. Check that link daily and save up a couple hundred bucks.

People upgrade their new JK all the time and you can find some pretty good deals on stuff they no longer want. If you have a stock sport you could keep an eye out for a set of 5 Rubicon model tires and wheels for around $500-600 with less than 10k miles on them. People also get rails, bumpers, and other mods and decide it's not for them or they upgrade higher and sell them on craigslist.

Happy hunting.
Yep.... X2 on this
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
KarlG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 626
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln05a View Post

Any suggestions on things that should be done first?

K
Basically get in it and drive and enjoy. A Wrangler is an incredibly good off road vehicle stock. Join a local Jeep club and go wheeling and learn how to off road. If you haven't ever hit trails consider an organized activity like a Jeep Jamboree or if there is a local off road park a beginner's course.

The only immediate things you should do first are address protection like floor mats and good rubber
__________________
1f u c4n r34d th1s u r3411y n33d t0 g37 141d 4nd 570p r34d1ng 51g5 0n f0rum5
KarlG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Renaissance_Redneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Joaquin Valley, California
Posts: 564
If you will be taking your rig offroad, there is one thing you HAVE to do; relocate, and/or put a skid over, your evaporative canister. Get under your Jeep, and you'll easily see why!!! While you're under there, look around for other things you might want to "skid". I feel protection should be your number one mod.
__________________
Renaissance_Redneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 117
Oh, and learn the Jeep Wave(tm)
odimodus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Mr Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,604
Images: 18
Step 1 Wash it. It might be the last time you ever see it clean again.

Step 2 All Jeeps come with excess snot...drive it out of your Jeep!
__________________
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17 (KJV)


Mr Mac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 623
Go find a rock and park one of your front tires on it.
termite is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Renaissance_Redneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Joaquin Valley, California
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
All Jeeps come with excess snot...drive it out of your Jeep!
Excess snot!!! Love it! I think I'll steal that one! Cheers.


__________________
Renaissance_Redneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,781
Fill it up with gas, head in any direction you choose and don't get out of it until you need another tankful...or to drain your own tank...then do it again....and again....and again....and before too many cycles, you will start to see a couple of little things you may want to do.....
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: north jersey
Posts: 508
take the roof off and drive. that is the first thing you should do.
blackforestgreen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
broncotw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: GREAT State of TEXAS!!!
Posts: 36
@ KBWWOLF -- thanks for the advice! I turned my rear view mirror upside down and WOW! What a HUGE difference!!!!
__________________




Hook Em' Horns
broncotw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncotw View Post
@ KBWWOLF -- thanks for the advice! I turned my rear view mirror upside down and WOW! What a HUGE difference!!!!
Ha ha...yeah, it definitely helps. I always wonder if people think I'm playing a joke on em when I say that...
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
jppower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: B-ville, MN
Posts: 214
Mount something with it
jppower is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kilgore, TX
Posts: 4
Thanks for all the great advice! First thing I got to do was drive it to Opening Day at Rangers Ballpark! I have been driving around with the top down all day and it's a blast.

Kln05a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jeep eyelashes Susiee General Jeep Discussion 33 05-14-2013 03:01 PM
Anybody drive the forrest roads up North? BIG JON Wisconsin Jeep Forum 2 04-25-2012 01:49 PM
My 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara! SheelSohal JK General Discussion Forum 15 04-05-2012 12:35 AM
Need sources to buy a few parts....help plz. BlueRanger JK General Discussion Forum 10 04-04-2012 11:25 PM
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 door. Check it out and let me know!! SheelSohal JK General Discussion Forum 12 04-04-2012 11:09 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC