What is this? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
What is this?

What is this tube/hose called? There is one on the rear axle and front. What is the purpose of it?



__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,791
Jude,

That's the breather hose for the differential. The diff has to breathe because of the changes in temp it experiences. The hose is elevated to prevent water and such from getting inside your diff. The rear one runs up to just behind the gas cap if it's the same as a TJ, and the front one runs up beside the radiator. Should have a funny little cap on the end.

Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
Jude,

That's the breather hose for the differential. The diff has to breathe because of the changes in temp it experiences. The hose is elevated to prevent water and such from getting inside your diff. The rear one runs up to just behind the gas cap if it's the same as a TJ, and the front one runs up beside the radiator. Should have a funny little cap on the end.
Thanks Ageless, the front breather hose came off during the install last weekend and I re attached it however the rear was off and I did not notice it until today. I've been driving for about a week with the rear off. Do you think there will be any problems? I re attached it a few hours ago.
__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,791
No problem man. If you haven't been in water there shouldn't be a problem. If you have any doubts, check the oil. If it's milky at all change it.
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
No problem man. If you haven't been in water there shouldn't be a problem. If you have any doubts, check the oil. If it's milky at all change it.
Just read about it some more on the project JK forum and it says that the hose allows the rear differential to breath and if it gets knocked off on the trail its not that big of deal. You want to re attach it to prevent dirt or water from entering the axle which can cause big problems but I have not driven through or over any since installing my lift. In addition, the hose (rear) when pulled off exposes a metal pin that is sticking out of the axle. The hose simply wraps around and fits over the pin. I believe because the pin was just exposed but not removed, there was never a chance of anything entering the axle. Good to know.
__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Djstorm100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 757
Just extend them I told you this when doing the rear :P
Djstorm100 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
Just extend them I told you this when doing the rear :P
Yes you did. The problem unfortunately was not that it came off after I left it's that it was left off from the install. I should have known more about what it was because I did see the pin sticking up out of the rear axle at your place but didn't know there was supposed to be a tube attached to it. I have not taken my jeep off road any since lifting it and have just driven purely on pavement. The tube length for both the front and rear is sufficient for this and probably ok for mild off roading too but I believe an extension for each now is a much better idea. It's good now to know because I'm still learning as much as I can.
__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123

Just read about it some more on the project JK forum and it says that the hose allows the rear differential to breath and if it gets knocked off on the trail its not that big of deal. You want to re attach it to prevent dirt or water from entering the axle which can cause big problems but I have not driven through or over any since installing my lift. In addition, the hose (rear) when pulled off exposes a metal pin that is sticking out of the axle. The hose simply wraps around and fits over the pin. I believe because the pin was just exposed but not removed, there was never a chance of anything entering the axle. Good to know.
That is all accurate information. The pin that it attaches to is called a hose barb, btw.
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Xnewyorka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 280
Great info
__________________
'11 JKUR Sahara Tan

Attention - WF may cause excessive desire for modifications
-Ben
Xnewyorka is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Djstorm100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123 View Post
Yes you did. The problem unfortunately was not that it came off after I left it's that it was left off from the install. I should have known more about what it was because I did see the pin sticking up out of the rear axle at your place but didn't know there was supposed to be a tube attached to it. I have not taken my jeep off road any since lifting it and have just driven purely on pavement. The tube length for both the front and rear is sufficient for this and probably ok for mild off roading too but I believe an extension for each now is a much better idea. It's good now to know because I'm still learning as much as I can.

Yup just a vent. When the gears spin it creates a pressure system and the pressure has to bleed out some how, so they drill a hole in the axle tube. But we don't want dirt and crap getting there, so they had a tube that goes all the way up to the top. Just extending them 4-6 inches will be fine I would put zip ties around each connection for added support. The lines size are 5/16.
Djstorm100 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
Ex Navy man
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,767
If you like running through deep water, you can do a extension kit that ties all the breather lines of both axles, transfer case and transmission. Got one on mine.

Smilin' Bob's Breather Hose Extension Kit for JKs
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
GreenRubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 464
Thanks for the post ESP. Didn't even think of checking the axle breather tubes when I changed out my springs. Luckily, mine were still connected.
__________________
2008 Natural Green JK Rubicon
GreenRubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
sneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,413
My breather tube seems to be run up on my rear passenger side inner fender, being held in by one of the liner clips. is that where everyone elses is? it seems awfully low, I always thought it was up near the tail light
sneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
Sponsoring Vendor
 
KrawlOff-Road.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by rics1997 View Post
If you like running through deep water, you can do a extension kit that ties all the breather lines of both axles, transfer case and transmission. Got one on mine.

Smilin' Bob's Breather Hose Extension Kit for JKs
X2! That is what I was going to recomend. It is a great kit and very NICE to have if your going to be in any deep water where it will be over the axle/transmission.

-Jason

__________________
KrawlOff-Road.com:
Facebook
Email
Phone: 864-437-8029
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC