what size wheels are ideal - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 24
what size wheels are ideal

I'm in the market for a new jku and know that I want to lift it and put 35's on it. My question is should I go with a smaller 15/16 inch rim or 17/18. It seems that 17 and 18 have more options available. What combo would be lighter? Smaller rim with more rubber or vice versa? Thanks in advance.

Samuno is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuno View Post
I'm in the market for a new jku and know that I want to lift it and put 35's on it. My question is should I go with a smaller 15/16 inch rim or 17/18. It seems that 17 and 18 have more options available. What combo would be lighter? Smaller rim with more rubber or vice versa? Thanks in advance.
Smaller wheels will save you a ton on tire cost. Also, the smaller combo will be lighter, give you a bigger contact patch and fatter sidewall.

But, there are catches:

While most 15" alloy wheels will clear your brake calipers, most 15" steelies will not. Also, the 15" wheels generally have less backspacing – usually 3.75" or less. This means your tires will stick out from the Jeep more. Some peeps don't like this.

In the 16" wheel size, a lot of the 35" tires offered are E-rated, which means they'll be harsh for on-road riding. I have E-rated tires, but I bought em deliberately, since I like more of a "truck" feel to my Jeep. Again, some peeps want a nice, cushy ride.

You will have more tire choices in the 17" size, but in many cases you'll pay more for tires alone than you will for tires AND wheels in the 15" size.

And 18's...eh, don't do it.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Here's an excellent thread that'll give you the basics on choosing tires/wheels. It's generally for folks wanting to run the largest tires they can on their unlifted Jeeps, but should be required reading for all new Jeepers, IMO.

Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer!

Welcome to WF.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,742
I would not do a 35x15 again because of balancing issues. For a 35" no less than a 16"
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Smaller wheels will save you a ton on tire cost. Also, the smaller combo will be lighter, give you a bigger contact patch and fatter sidewall.

But, there are catches:

While most 15" alloy wheels will clear your brake calipers, most 15" steelies will not. Also, the 15" wheels generally have less backspacing – usually 3.75" or less. This means your tires will stick out from the Jeep more. Some peeps don't like this.

In the 16" wheel size, a lot of the 35" tires offered are E-rated, which means they'll be harsh for on-road riding. I have E-rated tires, but I bought em deliberately, since I like more of a "truck" feel to my Jeep. Again, some peeps want a nice, cushy ride.

You will have more tire choices in the 17" size, but in many cases you'll pay more for tires alone than you will for tires AND wheels in the 15" size.

And 18's...eh, don't do it.
I would like to drive your jeep


I am riding on load C km2's and 9 way adjustable shocks. I would say comfortable but no way is it cushy. People that drive with me comment on how shitty it drives lolIt still very much drives like a truck. Yours can't be too bad ?
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
I would like to drive your jeep


I am riding on load C km2's and 9 way adjustable shocks. I would say comfortable but no way is it cushy. People that drive with me comment on how shitty it drives lolIt still very much drives like a truck. Yours can't be too bad ?
Mine's great. Tracks straight (unless really windy, then the soft top wants to set sail), doesn't wander at all. I generally drive it one-handed (stick). When I say it rides like a truck, I mean you feel the potholes and bumps. But it really doesn't bother me. I've had some of my younger nieces and nephews riding with me, and they'll go UH! real loud, and flop around (joking) sometimes when I hit bumps, but they love riding in the thing. Especially with top/doors off.

I'm about 99% sure I'll buy the same E-rated DuraTracs once this set wears out.

Maybe it's from riding motorcycles my whole life. IDK...
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks for the info. Sounds like 17 is the way to go with cost being the only down size.
Samuno is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,742
The longer wheel base on 4 door alone with soften the ride. The suspension has more time in between to absorb the road.

4 door = bump................. Bump

2 door = bump.. Bump

Make sense y'all ? Lol
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
MacCTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 600
Are there any 35" tires for 17" rims that are not D or E rated? The super stiff sidewalls and heavy weight are the two things keeping me from going to 35"s.

MacCTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC