What's the deal with the 18" wheels? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 65
What's the deal with the 18" wheels?

Self proclaimed newb to jeeps here so sorry for the dumb question. Here it goes, I have a 2113 jku. Withe the Sahara wheels and dueler tires. Why do most people take these wheels off? I think they are just fine! Is there a performance issue? I am looking to purchase another 5 wheel set, but wanna know if people just think that they are inferior. Thanks
Marc

Marcsblackjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
dirt road inspector

WF Supporting Member
 
tomthbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 2,359
If you like them, run them. I like them just fine on my '07.

tomthbomb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 8,921
Images: 13
I have no plans on taking mine off.

I'd say the comments are a bit misleading because of the type of forum you are on. You have more off-roaders here, you will see more comments about dumping 18" wheels to begin with.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
EricM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcsblackjeep
Self proclaimed newb to jeeps here so sorry for the dumb question. Here it goes, I have a 2113 jku. Withe the Sahara wheels and dueler tires. Why do most people take these wheels off? I think they are just fine! Is there a performance issue? I am looking to purchase another 5 wheel set, but wanna know if people just think that they are inferior. Thanks
Marc
I think it's just a personal style preference. I do not think that "most" people take them off though. There was just a very vocal group of folks here who didn't like the appearance compared to the old style wheel, but that's quieted down a bit now that they've been out for a while.

I personally like them and get a lot of compliments on them. I especially like the fact that they're flange less and have some concave depth to them versus the old flat wheel.

Mine was the first '13 that my dealer got in with the new wheels. After seeing them, he was sorry he had ordered his first batch of stock units with the 7 spoke upgrade wheels.
__________________
2008 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
2012 GMC Sierra Denali HD Duramax
2013 JK Sahara 2dr
EricM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Newb
 
snrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: cortland il for 2 more weeks then dallas tx
Posts: 12
The 18 inch rims = less sidewall on a larger tire. This is not good for heavy off-road but its perfectly fine for anything else. Its all about your use and personal preference. If you like them and don't drive over the mountains often then keep them!
snrdave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: chicago
Posts: 705
I have aftet market18s and 33s. Lots of looks.
__________________
2012 Black on black JKU

285/65/18 Kumho AT with XD Rockstars
travis29 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
robskully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcsblackjeep View Post
Self proclaimed newb to jeeps here so sorry for the dumb question. Here it goes, I have a 2113 jku Withe the Sahara wheels and dueler tires
WOW .... 2113 ... You mean they still have tires
Rob .....
__________________
2001 Dodge B2500 4x4 Silver Quad Cab
2005 Chev 1500 4x4 White Avalanche Z71
2013 Jeep Unlimited White Sahara Wrangler
Auto Tranny, Max Tow, Dual Top & Anti Spin Differential
robskully is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 65
Sorry..

Quote:
Originally Posted by robskully View Post
WOW .... 2113 ... You mean they still have tires
Rob .....
It's when my flux capacitor breaks down didn't catch the typo till now, thanks
Marcsblackjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
PhotoWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston MetroMess
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcsblackjeep View Post
Self proclaimed newb to jeeps here so sorry for the dumb question. Here it goes, I have a 2113 jku. Withe the Sahara wheels and dueler tires. Why do most people take these wheels off? I think they are just fine! Is there a performance issue? I am looking to purchase another 5 wheel set, but wanna know if people just think that they are inferior. Thanks
Marc

If you can answer the question of why YOU are buying another 5 wheel set... I suppose you'll figure out why most people take them off.
__________________
K9CCH
2014 | wrangler sport jku
"Opinions are low cost commodities, and everyone is equipped with one..."
PhotoWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler View Post
If you can answer the question of why YOU are buying another 5 wheel set... I suppose you'll figure out why most people take them off.
I see your point, however I want to purchase the same exact set. The second set I will have powder coated black. I am not going to change to diff wheel or tire.
Marcsblackjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
PhotoWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston MetroMess
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcsblackjeep View Post
I see your point, however I want to purchase the same exact set. The second set I will have powder coated black. I am not going to change to diff wheel or tire.

Ah! Got it.
__________________
K9CCH
2014 | wrangler sport jku
"Opinions are low cost commodities, and everyone is equipped with one..."
PhotoWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,687
I think it's because there is a misconception that 18" wheels have few options for tires and the tires are more expensive. Truth is...18" wheels have MORE options and they also are priced the same or less than 16-17" tires. For instance P265/70-18 is a 33" tire that's lightweight and will definitely fit with no rubbing on stock Sahara wheels because the width is virtually identical to stock. No such overall size tire exists for 16 or 17" wheels on the JK. The 18" wheels actually give you more flexibility.

The only downside is the weight. I think the 18" wheels are close to 30 lbs. each (!)
__________________
~Lots of modded Jeeps and a Toyota 4Runner~
WXman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 8,921
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcsblackjeep View Post
I see your point, however I want to purchase the same exact set. The second set I will have powder coated black. I am not going to change to diff wheel or tire.
I'm plast-dipping mine.

I LOVE the fact that so many people don't want the Sahara wheels, because it will make finding take-offs easier.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
I'm plast-dipping mine.

I LOVE the fact that so many people don't want the Sahara wheels, because it will make finding take-offs easier.
I can't seem to find the 2013s yet! In time I hope the supply becomes more plentiful in PA. If the only downside is the weight or lack of off road capability then I don't think that will bother me for now.
Marcsblackjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
EricM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 293
I thought about getting a second set also and having either the pockets or the entire "sparkle silver" painted area painted Deep Cherry Red to match my Jeep. Unfortunately 2013 Sahara take offs seem to be few and far between, so not many people must be swapping them out.
__________________
2008 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
2012 GMC Sierra Denali HD Duramax
2013 JK Sahara 2dr
EricM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcsblackjeep View Post
Self proclaimed newb to jeeps here so sorry for the dumb question. Here it goes, I have a 2113 jku. Withe the Sahara wheels and dueler tires. Why do most people take these wheels off? I think they are just fine! Is there a performance issue? I am looking to purchase another 5 wheel set, but wanna know if people just think that they are inferior. Thanks
Marc

I like mine just fine too Marc.

Matters of taste are not really resolvable in a rational discussion.

The main issue 'was' that of extra cost of a rather orphan size. That meant tires of the 18" persuasion cost considerably more than the smaller holes.

In the 2 years I've followed this part of the Jeep Owner Frenzy, relative tire cost has grown less skewed IMO.

I still prefer my OEM 18" and pointedly rejected the notion of swapping a while back when I replaced the Duelers with sometime more aggressive.
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
bmacd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59
I went with 16s for two reasons, more sidewall, means more cushion and rocks / curbs are less likely to nibble on me, and the cost of rubber, the cost of a 35" tire in a 16 vs 18 can be upwards of $100 less per tire in an 16.
Okay a 3rd reason, I like the aspect ratio of the 35/16, it looks like a huge wheel.
bmacd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
Ex Navy man
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,767
Main reason people dump the 18's is that the stock wheels in any size have poor backspacing for bigger new tires later. So once they want to go to bigger tires they have to buy new wheels to accommodation them and smaller wheels are usually cheaper and the tires for them are usually cheaper. You can usually by a 16" wheel and tires for the same thing a 18" tire cost by itself. Not to mention on the trail or in sand, smaller wheels allow for better air downs when needed and the tires tend to protect the wheels better from trail rash.
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
97wrangler-242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: poland indiana
Posts: 2,013
They're too big. I like a big side wall. I hate that I can't go to bigger brakes on my 15" rim
97wrangler-242 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
chim-chim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 694
Nothing wrong with 18" wheels when your running 37" tires.
chim-chim7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
chim-chim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97wrangler-242 View Post
They're too big. I like a big side wall. I hate that I can't go to bigger brakes on my 15" rim

You don't need bigger brakes, just better pads. Hawk LTS

chim-chim7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC