whistle or wind blow since windshield replacement - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
whistle or wind blow since windshield replacement

I got my 2012 Unlimited last August. Since then I've had to get the windshield replaced twice. I've had the unfortunate experience of always having dump trucks nearby. Anyway, after the first break I noticed a whistle sound coming from somewhere around the windshield when I drove 35 - 55mph. The windshield guy put some type of strip across the top of the windshield. It seemed to stop it for about a day then it started back. Then about 2 months ago, the second break. I went to a different company to replace the windshield hoping it was maybe just a crappy job from the first guy. Well, the whistle is gone but it always sounds like air is coming in from somewhere around the windshield and it can get pretty loud at times. I took it back and they checked for leaks and couldn't find anything. Any thoughts on how I should get this fixed for good? Should I take it to the dealer?

bamrein is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,275
the windshield guy didn't do the job correctly, make them fix it. also, they can't just re-seal it or add sealer around the edges, they need to pull it and put a whole new screen in. apparently these screens break if you try to pull it out.

mine was like this from the factory (wind noise from one corner) and the dealer could not do windshields, they had to outsource it to a different company. it's fine now

__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,126
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
the windshield guy didn't do the job correctly, make them fix it. also, they can't just re-seal it or add sealer around the edges, they need to pull it and put a whole new screen in. apparently these screens break if you try to pull it out.

mine was like this from the factory (wind noise from one corner) and the dealer could not do windshields, they had to outsource it to a different company. it's fine now
Was the noise from the driver's side?
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Was the noise from the driver's side?
yeah, behind the tweeter
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,126
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
I asked because I have a lot of wind noise coming from the drivers side but I can't tell if its high or low on the windshield? It comes and goes too. How did the dealer verify your noise?
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
I asked because I have a lot of wind noise coming from the drivers side but I can't tell if its high or low on the windshield? It comes and goes too. How did the dealer verify your noise?
mine was kind of random too. i pointed it out during the inspection and the tech drove it when i dropped it off a few days later. he verified it. it's super hard to pinpoint the noise though.

i put masking tape over the entire seal and seams around the outside of the windshield, but i could still hear it. there are so many areas where air can get in (which is why sealing the outside doesn't work) so i started taping the inside instead. finally i found the exact spot just in the lower left corner. i could even feel a bit of air flow with my hand. if you do this, at least you can prove that it's the window and not some other seal.

I know there was a TSB out for 07s-08s for excessive noise in the drivers side cowl, but i think that was addressed in newer wranglers
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,322
My windshield whistled since the day I bought it.
Until I removed the air dam .... Silence at last ..... Weird
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
Dance w/me tonight

WF Supporting Member
 
jkucod12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,026
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamrein View Post
I got my 2012 Unlimited last August. Since then I've had to get the windshield replaced twice. I've had the unfortunate experience of always having dump trucks nearby. Anyway, after the first break I noticed a whistle sound coming from somewhere around the windshield when I drove 35 - 55mph. The windshield guy put some type of strip across the top of the windshield. It seemed to stop it for about a day then it started back. Then about 2 months ago, the second break. I went to a different company to replace the windshield hoping it was maybe just a crappy job from the first guy. Well, the whistle is gone but it always sounds like air is coming in from somewhere around the windshield and it can get pretty loud at times. I took it back and they checked for leaks and couldn't find anything. Any thoughts on how I should get this fixed for good? Should I take it to the dealer?
---------------------------------------------------

Did you get a dealer or after market windshield?
jkucod12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
I got the dealer windshield both times, not an aftermarket.
bamrein is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
the windshield guy didn't do the job correctly, make them fix it. also, they can't just re-seal it or add sealer around the edges, they need to pull it and put a whole new screen in. apparently these screens break if you try to pull it out.

mine was like this from the factory (wind noise from one corner) and the dealer could not do windshields, they had to outsource it to a different company. it's fine now
I want to agree with you about the windshield guy, I just find it odd that two completely different windshield companies can't get the job right. Never had an issue with it before the first break. The second company is putting the problem back on Jeep since its happened after both replacements. Should I take it to the dealer?

Also the noise seems to be coming from the passenger side.
bamrein is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,126
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
mine was kind of random too. i pointed it out during the inspection and the tech drove it when i dropped it off a few days later. he verified it. it's super hard to pinpoint the noise though.

i put masking tape over the entire seal and seams around the outside of the windshield, but i could still hear it. there are so many areas where air can get in (which is why sealing the outside doesn't work) so i started taping the inside instead. finally i found the exact spot just in the lower left corner. i could even feel a bit of air flow with my hand. if you do this, at least you can prove that it's the window and not some other seal.

I know there was a TSB out for 07s-08s for excessive noise in the drivers side cowl, but i think that was addressed in newer wranglers
Thanks for the tip!
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,126
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Got mine into the dealer today so they could investigate. Dropped it off this morning and shop foreman called at 3 PM to say he found the cause and a fix.

Written on the service order:
"BODY/MECHANICAL WIND NOISE AT HWY SPEED TOP LEFT. JESS VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. NOISE IS COMING FROM THE TOP LEFT OF THE WINDSHIELD AREA. SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SWIRLING BEHIND THE TRIM PANEL. TAPED OFF WINDSHIELD SEAMS AND RE-TEST DROVE. NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. TAPED OFF THE FREEDOM PANELS TO HEADER SEAM AND RE-TEST DROVE. NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. TAPED OFF THE DOOR SEAM AND VERIFIED WIND NOISE IS NO LONGER PRESENT. RETURNED TO THE SHOP AND INSPECTED DOOR WEATHERSTRIP AND FREEDOM TOP WEATHERSTRIP. NO PHYSICAL SIGNS OF DAMAGE PRESENT. SEARCHED FOR TSBs AND TECH TIPS AND FOUND A TECH TIP FOR BOTH THE FREEDOM TOP AND DOOR WEATHERSTRIP TO CALL AN ENGINEER BEFORE REPLACING THOSE PARTS. CONTACTED ENGINEER AND WAS GIVEN STAR CASE #1123000054 REFERENCING A WIND NOISE THAT THE CUSTOMER HAS DESCRIBED. STAR CASE STATES THE NOISE IS COMING UP THROUGH THE A-PILLAR FROM THE OUTSIDE. STAR CASE STATES TO REMOVE THE A-PILLAR TRIM PANELS AND FILL THE A-PILLAR WITH SPRAY FOAM INSULATION. ALLOW TO CURE THEN RE-TEST".
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,755
I had this same problem and the safelight auto glass tech said they had a "company TSB" about the windshield needing to be perfectly installed. The factory windshields are computer installed, of course, and if the windshield isn't very accurately placed- it will have a whistle.

So...your install is bad. The tolerances are considerably tighter than other jeeps/vehicles from what the tech told me. The windshield has to be perfectly flush with the windshield frame. You can tell by dragging your finger around the gap of a original windshield vs that of one that is improperly intalled

Hope that helps
__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Newb
 
Kenno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
Got mine into the dealer today so they could investigate. Dropped it off this morning and shop foreman called at 3 PM to say he found the cause and a fix.

Written on the service order:
"BODY/MECHANICAL WIND NOISE AT HWY SPEED TOP LEFT. JESS VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. NOISE IS COMING FROM THE TOP LEFT OF THE WINDSHIELD AREA. SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SWIRLING BEHIND THE TRIM PANEL. TAPED OFF WINDSHIELD SEAMS AND RE-TEST DROVE. NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. TAPED OFF THE FREEDOM PANELS TO HEADER SEAM AND RE-TEST DROVE. NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. TAPED OFF THE DOOR SEAM AND VERIFIED WIND NOISE IS NO LONGER PRESENT. RETURNED TO THE SHOP AND INSPECTED DOOR WEATHERSTRIP AND FREEDOM TOP WEATHERSTRIP. NO PHYSICAL SIGNS OF DAMAGE PRESENT. SEARCHED FOR TSBs AND TECH TIPS AND FOUND A TECH TIP FOR BOTH THE FREEDOM TOP AND DOOR WEATHERSTRIP TO CALL AN ENGINEER BEFORE REPLACING THOSE PARTS. CONTACTED ENGINEER AND WAS GIVEN STAR CASE #1123000054 REFERENCING A WIND NOISE THAT THE CUSTOMER HAS DESCRIBED. STAR CASE STATES THE NOISE IS COMING UP THROUGH THE A-PILLAR FROM THE OUTSIDE. STAR CASE STATES TO REMOVE THE A-PILLAR TRIM PANELS AND FILL THE A-PILLAR WITH SPRAY FOAM INSULATION. ALLOW TO CURE THEN RE-TEST".
Did this foam do the trick?
Kenno is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,126
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
My Jeep goes in Tuesday, will update after.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Ex Umbris Currus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 258
My 2012 JKUR had a whistle coming from around the windshield when I bought it. I just used caulk around the windshield and problem solved. No more whistle.
__________________
"I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night." Benjamin Franklin

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." John Steinbeck
Ex Umbris Currus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Geoscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Moonshine Hill, Texas
Posts: 297
Images: 4
I watched while Safelite replaced my windshield last week with an OEM screen. The tech was great and explained exactly what he was doing.

First, the factory adhesive had a thin zone at the start stop position which on mine (and all of them I suspect) was at the lower passenger corner. It was a very even bead except for there and was probably applied by a robot.

The Safelite tech said it was important to trim away the remaining adhesive before applying the new bead. He used a battery powered adhesive gun to lay down the new bead which was much more even than the factory bead. He also took a lot of time to make sure it was perfectly symmetrical before placing the new screen into position.

When he positioned the screen he really took a lot of time to make sure the margins were exactly symmetrical. He also made sure that the windshield was flush with the surrounding metal. He said that if a replacement windshield whistled, 9 times out of 10 it was because it was left a little proud or protruding.

He must have known what he was talking about because mine is absolutely quite.
__________________
My Flickr photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19387539@N00/
Geoscene is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
robskully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 771
mine had the noise on drivers side by tweeter.
While driving I stuck my hand there and above
45mp I could feel wind coming in. Dealer had
windshield replaced and said the weather stripping
was twisted causing wind to slip by.
Rob ....
__________________
2001 Dodge B2500 4x4 Silver Quad Cab
2005 Chev 1500 4x4 White Avalanche Z71
2013 Jeep Unlimited White Sahara Wrangler
Auto Tranny, Max Tow, Dual Top & Anti Spin Differential
robskully is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
Newb
 
Kenno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Umbris Currus
My 2012 JKUR had a whistle coming from around the windshield when I bought it. I just used caulk around the windshield and problem solved. No more whistle.
Inside or outside, what kind did you use?
Kenno is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,126
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Its fixed!

Written on repair order: REMOVED LEFT A-PILLAR TRIM AND FILLED THE A-PILLAR WITH EXPANDING FOAM INSULATION. REINSTALLED TRIM PANELS AND TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE. VERIFIED THAT AT THIS TIME THE WIND NOISE IS NO LONGER PRESENT.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,322
I removed my air dam and whistle went away.
It did....... really
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,126
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
I removed my air dam and whistle went away.
It did....... really
No......the whistle went away when you installed the 9000s.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport

No......the whistle went away when you installed the 9000s.
No the thump from my head hitting the sound bar went away

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
windshield , windshield replacement , windshield whistle

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC