Why modify your 2012 2dr Rubi - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
tacojeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 147
Why modify your 2012 2dr Rubi

As with my 04... it makes little sense to raise these... really talking about lifting em... body armor bumper and winch upgrades make good sense...

__________________
tacojeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,950
Images: 3
If you stick to lvl 2's and some lvl 3's then i guess there really isn't much since in lifting it.

Well then there is he fact that some folks do it just for looks.

__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
tacojeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
If you stick to lvl 2's and some lvl 3's then i guess there really isn't much since in lifting it.

Well then there is he fact that some folks do it just for looks.
lvl 2 and 3 means? Sorry if this is a dumb question...
__________________
tacojeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
JEEPDON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Over the hill
Posts: 1,292
To run trails here on Forest Service land, the Forest Service requires a minimum of 33" tires! New deal this year. And at least 1 locking axle; but of course your Rubi has that.
__________________
Don
Happy Jeeping
Experience= What you get right after you need it the most!!
JEEPDON is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
TopDwnWhlsUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern Co
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacojeep

lvl 2 and 3 means? Sorry if this is a dumb question...
difficulty rating of the trail. If my rubi hadn't been lifted, I would have left pieces of her all over the trail I did this last weekend. But yeah if you're just going to do moderate stuff I agree, no reason to lift it really.
TopDwnWhlsUp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
MistiC NiNja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SA|TX
Posts: 273
absolutely... will i lift my Rubicon, absolutely.
MistiC NiNja is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
chim-chim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 694
Why lift these up you ask......because it's fun, sets me apart from the grocery mom, provides more frame to ground clearance, allows deeper water crossings, allows use of larger tires, my wife likes it, and it now handles better than stock.

The number one reason is.......because this is America and I can.
chim-chim7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim-chim7 View Post

The number one reason is.......because this is America and I can.
This.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
TopDwnWhlsUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern Co
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim-chim7
Why lift these up you ask......because it's fun, sets me apart from the grocery mom, provides more frame to ground clearance, allows deeper water crossings, allows use of larger tires, my wife likes it, and it now handles better than stock.

The number one reason is.......because this is America and I can.
Well said
TopDwnWhlsUp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,354
Makes little sense to you, OP?? Good thing I didn't ask you first if I should lift it.

Seriously though, if you wheel, eventually you will need more ground clearance and most all 4x4 trails are rated and require minimum vehicle capabilities IE lift height, lockers, tires, winch etc...Even some club runs have minimum requirments, they don't want to spend the entire trail run recovering someone's stock rig over and over again.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
tacojeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Makes little sense to you, OP?? Good thing I didn't ask you first if I should lift it.

Seriously though, if you wheel, eventually you will need more ground clearance and most all 4x4 trails are rated and require minimum vehicle capabilities IE lift height, lockers, tires, winch etc...Even some club runs have minimum requirments, they don't want to spend the entire trail run recovering someone's stock rig over and over again.

-Dan
I did most of the rubicon in my stock 04... I understand your point, however and a mild teraflex lift may be in my fuyure... more so the larger tires will get the ground clearence you speak of... will an under 4" lift void factory warranties
__________________
tacojeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
tacojeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim-chim7 View Post
Why lift these up you ask......because it's fun, sets me apart from the grocery mom, provides more frame to ground clearance, allows deeper water crossings, allows use of larger tires, my wife likes it, and it now handles better than stock.

The number one reason is.......because this is America and I can.
Good Point... I love this country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
tacojeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,432
Since the dawn of time, man has been cursed with a desire...a need...a physical and moral imperative...to create, to perfect, to revolutionize...to leave his mark...to prove that some aspect of the world is better for him having participated. It was this way with the wheel, the clock, the bridge, the building...and so it is with the Jeep. A stock Jeep is a slap in the face to evolution and man's dominion over all things mechanical. I feel as though I was put on this earth to take a proven, refined, acceptable product...and modify it to the point of uselessness...it's what I do...it's my contribution to society. Please don't cheapen that with talk of stock vehicles...it's bad for America.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
steve31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Since the dawn of time, man has been cursed with a desire...a need...a physical and moral imperative...to create, to perfect, to revolutionize...to leave his mark...to prove that some aspect of the world is better for him having participated. It was this way with the wheel, the clock, the bridge, the building...and so it is with the Jeep. A stock Jeep is a slap in the face to evolution and man's dominion over all things mechanical. I feel as though I was put on this earth to take a proven, refined, acceptable product...and modify it to the point of uselessness...it's what I do...it's my contribution to society. Please don't cheapen that with talk of stock vehicles...it's bad for America.

I want to steal this and make it my signature. This is really funny.
steve31 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Metonymy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Since the dawn of time, man has been cursed with a desire...a need...a physical and moral imperative...to create, to perfect, to revolutionize...to leave his mark...to prove that some aspect of the world is better for him having participated. It was this way with the wheel, the clock, the bridge, the building...and so it is with the Jeep. A stock Jeep is a slap in the face to evolution and man's dominion over all things mechanical. I feel as though I was put on this earth to take a proven, refined, acceptable product...and modify it to the point of uselessness...it's what I do...it's my contribution to society. Please don't cheapen that with talk of stock vehicles...it's bad for America.
Winner.
Metonymy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,338
Lol
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
tacojeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 147
too funny man... love it
__________________
tacojeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacojeep View Post
too funny man... love it
Way to stomp on the ant hill...

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
JKralph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KCK
Posts: 10,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacojeep View Post
will an under 4" lift void factory warranties
Nope. The new parts you put on will not be covered by your warranty, everything else that was on there when your jeep rolled out of the factory will still be covered.

One caveat: any part that was on there from the factory that is damaged as a direct result of any mod you put on will not be covered. Say you put a 4" or 5" lift on there, and your driveshaft snaps. Probably won't be covered (though there are members here that have had such damaged covered under warranty somehow...they probably had a silver tongue or used magic).
JKralph is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
Vin
Jeeper
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacojeep View Post
As with my 04... it makes little sense to raise these... really talking about lifting em... body armor bumper and winch upgrades make good sense...
If you add these, chances are you will cause your OE springs to sag. You'll need, in the least, a leveling kit just to run OE wheels and tires.
Vin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
TopDwnWhlsUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern Co
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Since the dawn of time, man has been cursed with a desire...a need...a physical and moral imperative...to create, to perfect, to revolutionize...to leave his mark...to prove that some aspect of the world is better for him having participated. It was this way with the wheel, the clock, the bridge, the building...and so it is with the Jeep. A stock Jeep is a slap in the face to evolution and man's dominion over all things mechanical. I feel as though I was put on this earth to take a proven, refined, acceptable product...and modify it to the point of uselessness...it's what I do...it's my contribution to society. Please don't cheapen that with talk of stock vehicles...it's bad for America.
Bahahaha one of the best things I've ever read on here
TopDwnWhlsUp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 195
I understand the OP’s thinking here…..it’s a Rubicon after all isn’t it? I believe it’s called a Rubicon because it’s capable of taking on the Rubicon trail in stock form right? In fact many have completed the Rubicon trail in their stock Jeep Rubicon’s and that trail is rated 4 on a “5” scale.

So unless you are wheeling on extreme 5 rated trails which I suspect 90% of those who have lifted and decked out their Jeeps haven’t (and won’t) then a stock Rubicon is all you really need.

Now, if you like the way it looks all lifted, winched, decked out with all the “trail doodads” you can attach to your roll bars, additional skid plates everywhere (even one for your trailer hitch and gas cap) a dosen lights hanging from everywhere so you gotta run two alternators and three batteries, on board air compressor, on board tig welder, mig welder and plasma cutter, on board personal spotter and some "big ole" tires, then go for it…..
JB71 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,950
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB71 View Post
[SIZE=3So unless you are wheeling on extreme 5 rated trails which I suspect 90% of those who have lifted and decked out their Jeeps haven’t (and won’t) then a stock Rubicon is all you really need.

:
I take it you have not been to any ORV parks and been on the trails? Sure you can do lvl 4 of 5's in a stock rubi if you like taking the bypass all the time.
__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
I take it you have not been to any ORV parks and been on the trails? Sure you can do lvl 4 of 5's in a stock rubi if you like taking the bypass all the time.

Never said anything about 5's with a stock Rubi, I simply stated that a stock Rubicon can navigate the Rubicon trail and that trail is harder than 90% who have lifted and decked out their Jeep will ever attempt.

I don't do off road parks, I get back and forth to my hunting spots and wherever else I want to explore (where it's legal to do so) some places I go are extremely difficult and I've been stuck many times and some are a piece of cake. There are no "by passes" you either get through, get stuck or turn around.

I've never felt the need to go overboard with lifts or all the other doodads folks put on their Jeeps. My YJ had the stock suspension with the largest tires I could put under it without rubbing, a good tow strap, a winch, one set of off road lights and a shovel...that's it.

I've set up my JK the same way except for the winch and I'm still mulling that over but I'll probably get one eventually.

There are some folks who absolutely need all that stuff...more power to them, I have a buddy with a TJ Rubi. It has all the good stuff on it with 35's (I believe, might be 37's) and I've been on trails with him that I wouldn't dare bring my JK on and have even broken down and had to weld/fabricate on the spot to get back rolling again.

Folks who do that need all that gear, the rest put it on because it looks cool....and it does.

That's the wonderful thing about this great country..
JB71 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,950
Images: 3
I understand your point. I was simply saying the only way you have a chance of making it down a lvl4 in a stock rubi is if it has a bypass to going around the stuff that makes it a lvl 4. That is unless its one of those trails that is mislabeled
__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
I understand your point. I was simply saying the only way you have a chance of making it down a lvl4 in a stock rubi is if it has a bypass to going around the stuff that makes it a lvl 4. That is unless its one of those trails that is mislabeled
Got ya,

I wouldn't know that....like I said I've never been on a trail like that (level marked) at least not that I know of.I have been places where I've said to my self "what the hell did you get yourself into?" and had to winch out or turn around. That's the fun part for me, just exploring. I've done more "off roading" while looking for hunting spots than when I actually set out to go off roading.

If I did those kind of trails, you can bet I'd have my Jeep set up for it.

I will say one thing though.....my stock YJ suprised me many times with where it could go what it could actually do and my JK has already been through more than my YJ. I don't think most realize how far they can push these vehicles....some (obviously) do.
JB71 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,950
Images: 3
You sound hook up with some people that do run trails. It will blow your mind. I try to take someone with me all the time that haven't done it before. Every time I do they always say. "If i didn't see you go up that i would have swore there is no way anything could drive up that."(Somethings I won't let people ride in the jeep when I attempt them)

We drive up stuff all the time that you cant even walk up.
__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
snochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,113
Images: 2
I'll say this from experience. Hubby took the rubi to chimney rock when it was still stock. Harley has the battle damage underneath to prove it. Even for high centered on a bypass of all places.

We did the same trail a few weeks ago. My lifted sport went through unscathed and Harley took no new damage. We also took the fun lines instead of the bypasses this time. So can a stock rubi do it? Sure. The real question is how much do you mind replacing parts underneath?
__________________
Harley Quinn: 2011 JKU Bright Silver Rubicon (His)
Poison Ivy: 2012 JKU Gecko Pearl Sport (Mine)

Jeeps of Old: '89 White YJ (1rst Jeep), '01 TJ Yellow Sport, Mudbird: 2001 TJ Silver Sport (Miss this old girl, may she rest in peace)
snochick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #29
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by snochick View Post
I'll say this from experience. Hubby took the rubi to chimney rock when it was still stock. Harley has the battle damage underneath to prove it. Even for high centered on a bypass of all places.

We did the same trail a few weeks ago. My lifted sport went through unscathed and Harley took no new damage. We also took the fun lines instead of the bypasses this time. So can a stock rubi do it? Sure. The real question is how much do you mind replacing parts underneath?
This this and this.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Dylanjwhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 643

__________________
2012 Rubicon Silver 2" AEV spacer kit

'71 Firebird

Semper Paratus
Dylanjwhall is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC