Will 33x12.5 fit on a 2012 without a lift - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
adrenalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 231
Will 33x12.5 fit on a 2012 without a lift

Hi everyone. I am looking at ordering a 2012 bright white safari JKU in a few weeks and want to plan my mods and have them ready for when it arrives. First thing I want to do is swap out the rims and tires. Probably going with Pro Comp 7089 17x9 rims. I assume I need a 5" backspace. As for the tires I'd most likely get BFG All-Terrain T/A KO as I have to deal with 4 months of winter weather where I live. Had Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 on my truck and they sucked in the snow. Anyway, will 33x12.5 tires (I think that is the same as 315/70R17) fit on a JKU without requiring a lift kit? If I have to lift it I will but would rather not as I don't care much for how the ride feels after.

adrenalin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin
Hi everyone. I am looking at ordering a 2012 bright white safari JKU in a few weeks and want to plan my mods and have them ready for when it arrives. First thing I want to do is swap out the rims and tires. Probably going with Pro Comp 7089 17x9 rims. I assume I need a 5" backspace. As for the tires I'd most likely get BFG All-Terrain T/A KO as I have to deal with 4 months of winter weather where I live. Had Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 on my truck and they sucked in the snow. Anyway, will 33x12.5 tires (I think that is the same as 315/70R17) fit on a JKU without requiring a lift kit? If I have to lift it I will but would rather not as I don't care much for how the ride feels after.
Yes they will fit as long as you buy those rims for the right backspacing. If you want tho, you could put a 3/4" spacer lift that I think daystar makes. ESP123 did it on his jeep and he has 33's. It looks great, you should do a search of his name and you can see the thread

jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,210
Check out all the millions of posts for tires and lifts for the JK. There is nothing different with the 2012 in that regard.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 2,305
A 285/70/17 is a 33x11.5 give or take a bit. A 315/70/17 is more like 34.5x13.5. I asked the exact same question a few days ago and the general consensus was that it would rub in several places without a lift and look goofy as well.
__________________
2012 Silver Sport S, Silver, 6 speed, soft top, 3.73s, LSD, PCG, Infiniti, deep tint windows, Pro Comp 1028 wheels, 33" Duratracs, Smittybilt bumpers and steps, KC fog lights, Mopar slush mats and fuel door.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
oilwell1415 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
adrenalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 231
Hmmm so basically it sounds like I will need to lift it a bit. Probably will get the AEV JK 2.0" Spacer Suspension System. I don't need anything too extreme.
adrenalin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 2,305
I'm just going to go with the 285s for now. It keeps me from getting a lift that we really don't want right now anyway, and it prevents needing to recalibrate the speedometer which happens to be the only way to actually void the warranty unless I can convince the dealer to do it.
__________________
2012 Silver Sport S, Silver, 6 speed, soft top, 3.73s, LSD, PCG, Infiniti, deep tint windows, Pro Comp 1028 wheels, 33" Duratracs, Smittybilt bumpers and steps, KC fog lights, Mopar slush mats and fuel door.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
oilwell1415 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
A 33" tire doesn't need a lift-BUT


Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post
Hmmm so basically it sounds like I will need to lift it a bit. Probably will get the AEV JK 2.0" Spacer Suspension System. I don't need anything too extreme.
Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415 View Post
I'm just going to go with the 285s for now. It keeps me from getting a lift that we really don't want right now anyway, and it prevents needing to recalibrate the speedometer which happens to be the only way to actually void the warranty unless I can convince the dealer to do it.
It depends on the tire mfg and the dealer won't/can't recal. your speedo for any tire bigger than the stockers (32")

The tire mfg will determine the actual INSTALLED size of the tires and when I installed my Hankooks--the tires rubbed BAD on the front bumpers and frame/swaybar--

The wheels will make a big diff. Backspace, is important-with aftermkt wheels it SHOULD BE 4.5" !!!!!

Buy & tryem first-you can tell quickly what the trouble is-

If you're gonna keepem--get a AEV Procal Module, to fix the speedo and a lotta other things !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
If you're gonna keepem--get a AEV Procal Module, to fix the speedo and a lotta other things !!

JIMBO
That is exactly what I want to avoid. Changing the speedometer also changes the odometer, and that is grounds for voiding the warranty.
__________________
2012 Silver Sport S, Silver, 6 speed, soft top, 3.73s, LSD, PCG, Infiniti, deep tint windows, Pro Comp 1028 wheels, 33" Duratracs, Smittybilt bumpers and steps, KC fog lights, Mopar slush mats and fuel door.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
oilwell1415 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
No, it doesn't "VOID" the warranty and it's a Federal offense to sell the vehicle, with the speedo operating with KNOWN ERROR !!


Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415 View Post
That is exactly what I want to avoid. Changing the speedometer also changes the odometer, and that is grounds for voiding the warranty.
The AEVPM corrects the speedo and has no effect on warranty !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415
Changing the speedometer also changes the odometer, and that is grounds for voiding the warranty.
I'd be stunned if that's true.

Warranty issues do indeed arise from "tampering" with the odometer. However, it seems a monumental stretch to conclude that correcting the speedometer to account for larger tires rises to that level, even if it indirectly affects the odometer.

Dealerships themselves often put 35s on jeeps, correct the speedo, and sell them brand new. How many courts would conclude that these jeeps are in fact being sold with no warranty at all based on nothing other than broadly defining the word "tampering"?

To me, "tampering" at least implies an intent to defraud and an actual likelihood of odometer inaccuracy. When those circumstances are present, I'd think your warranty is likely smoke. Otherwise I'd expect it remains.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
I'd be stunned if that's true.

Warranty issues do indeed arise from "tampering" with the odometer. However, it seems a monumental stretch to conclude that correcting the speedometer to account for larger tires rises to that level, even if it indirectly affects the odometer.

Dealerships themselves often put 35s on jeeps, correct the speedo, and sell them brand new. How many courts would conclude that these jeeps are in fact being sold with no warranty at all based on nothing other than broadly defining the word "tampering"?

To me, "tampering" at least implies an intent to defraud and an actual likelihood of odometer inaccuracy. When those circumstances are present, I'd think your warranty is likely smoke. Otherwise I'd expect it remains.
Read the exerpt below from the warranty book. Where does it say anything about intent? Disconnecting and tampering don't bother me, it's the altering part. What the warranty says is that if you mess with the odometer it will void your warranty. Correcting the speedometer for tire size is not an indirect change to the odometer, it is a direct change.

Using the Procal for tire size correction, or for that matter changing the tire size, is grounds for voiding the warranty. The reason this clause is in there is so that they aren't covering warranty when the odometer says 30k miles and the vehicle has actually traveled 40k miles. In most cases, using a Procal for altering the factory odometer calibration will be overlooked by the dealer. Where this will get sticky is if there is a questionable warranty issue and it goes up the chain to a higher authority. They will look for anything, and this could be it. If Chrysler does like Ford and GM, there will be a code in the PCM that identifies an unauthorized calibration change and it doesn't go away when you return to stock. If you're in a questionable warranty situation that will be your undoing.

This will ultimately depend on how badly your dealer wants to be a jerk, but in the end they will win if it goes to court. I don't want to be on the hook for an engine that will likely cost $10k to replace plus legal fees if something goes bad. Some may be willing to roll the dice. I am not. I've seen and worked with enough warranty issues to know that using a device like this is a significant risk. Maybe after 15-20k miles when the engine has proven it isn't going to fail based on some assembly line fluke I would be comfortable with it, but not on a brand new vehicle.

EDIT to add: Dealerships do alter the speedo/odo for tire size. There is a clause in the warranty that allows them to do so without problems. No such clause exists for a vehicle owner because there is no way to ensure that they aren't telling the comuter you have 26" tires when you really have 35" tires. That's a 35% difference is speedometer and odometer calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty Book

B. Modifications That WILL Void Your
Warranties
These actions will void your warranties:
• disconnecting, tampering with, or altering the
odometer will void your warranties, unless your
repairing technician follows the legal requirements
for repairing or replacing odometers; or
• attaching any device that disconnects the

odometer will also void your warranties.
__________________
2012 Silver Sport S, Silver, 6 speed, soft top, 3.73s, LSD, PCG, Infiniti, deep tint windows, Pro Comp 1028 wheels, 33" Duratracs, Smittybilt bumpers and steps, KC fog lights, Mopar slush mats and fuel door.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
oilwell1415 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
I think you are justified in your feelings and you'll just be happy with a STOCK JK/JKU--

Not that that won't have warranty problems--there have been a LOT of warrany refusals and you know-having delt with many of them--

That a dealer doesn't have to do ANYTHING--it's all up to YOU, no matter what the warranty dispute--Good luck-

I really don't think that you're gonna need any "MOD" info--right ??

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 2,305
It won't be stock, I'll just pick my mods carefully so I don't have warranty issues. To me with a first year chassis/engine combo it isn't worth the risk.
__________________
2012 Silver Sport S, Silver, 6 speed, soft top, 3.73s, LSD, PCG, Infiniti, deep tint windows, Pro Comp 1028 wheels, 33" Duratracs, Smittybilt bumpers and steps, KC fog lights, Mopar slush mats and fuel door.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
oilwell1415 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
I understand that, but


Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415 View Post
It won't be stock, I'll just pick my mods carefully so I don't have warranty issues. To me with a first year chassis/engine combo it isn't worth the risk.
Google jeep "JK/JKU warranty troubles" and you might getta rundown on the troubles owners have already had with Chrysler--

I've had an old history of warranty fights with Dodge for many years and because of that-I'm pretty careless of interfering with any warranty coverage on this jeep--I've got engine/transmission/suspension/body/computer/lighting mods and if I have to, I'll still fight with either Ca./Nv Chrysler dealers--

I think that you're a little more civilized than (at least me), so your mods should be fairly sensible !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415

Read the exerpt below from the warranty book. Where does it say anything about intent? Disconnecting and tampering don't bother me, it's the altering part. What the warranty says is that if you mess with the odometer it will void your warranty. Correcting the speedometer for tire size is not an indirect change to the odometer, it is a direct change.
Disagree. The warranty doesn't say "mess with." It says disconnecting, tampering, or altering the odometer. Only under the broadest reading could you construe the ProCal as doing any of those things. Indeed, simply putting on bigger tires without adjusting the speedometer would work in my favor, and it would be equally ridiculous to argue that equates to disconnecting, tampering, or altering the odometer.

"Tampering," like fraud, implies intent. "Disconnecting" is self-descriptive and inapplicable. That leaves you with "altering". The ProCal does not--in any way--"alter" the odometer.

At most, it adjusts the data that the odometer receives. If Chrysler intended the odometer clauses to be so broad, they could have said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415
Using the Procal for tire size correction, or for that matter changing the tire size, is grounds for voiding the warranty.
Absolutely not. I think the claim boarders on frivolous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415
This will ultimately depend on how badly your dealer wants to be a jerk, but in the end they will win if it goes to court.
I would be very surprised if this were so. Point me to one case with such a holding.

Again, what basis is there to distinguish it from putting on 37s and not correcting? If anything, you're doing the manufacturer a favor.

I see no reason to interpret "altering" so broadly. Warranty clauses are drafted by the manufacturer and construed against them.

In the cases that I have handled, I've never seen a court interpret warranty language or other similar adhesion contract language so aggressively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415
I don't want to be on the hook for an engine that will likely cost $10k to replace plus legal fees if something goes bad. Some may be willing to roll the dice. I am not. I've seen and worked with enough warranty issues to know that using a device like this is a significant risk. Maybe after 15-20k miles when the engine has proven it isn't going to fail based on some assembly line fluke I would be comfortable with it, but not on a brand new vehicle.
Up to you, but that's a different issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415
EDIT to add: Dealerships do alter the speedo/odo for tire size. There is a clause in the warranty that allows them to do so without problems. No such clause exists for a vehicle owner because there is no way to ensure that they aren't telling the comuter you have 26" tires when you really have 35" tires. That's a 35% difference is speedometer and odometer calibration.
Which clause is this?
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
adrenalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 231
As far as warranty goes I am not that worried about it. I am use to modding my vehicles. I had lifted a 2003 Jeep liberty and had no warranty issues. I have an 05 mustang that is modded. I have no issues with having to buy a programmer to flash the ECM due to the tire size change. Had to do that with the stang. It really does come down to the dealership and how they want to handle it. The local dealer here has no issues with modded Jeeps, in fact they like it when people mod them.

adrenalin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Wrangler information thread Milous JK General Discussion Forum 1605 07-17-2013 01:45 PM
2012 Wrangler & June 2nd ndrugby JK General Discussion Forum 13670 03-11-2013 11:15 AM
Lift Setup - New Thread DocG2828 TJ General Discussion Forum 57 10-09-2010 12:21 PM
3.5" lift with 33x12.5 tires? ebp123 TJ General Discussion Forum 7 06-11-2010 12:24 PM
Body lift or no body lift?? savinlives2448 TJ Tech Forum 8 03-23-2009 10:38 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC