Will this inexpensive upgrade work? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
manamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 24
Question Will this inexpensive upgrade work?

So like many others, I'm new to modding jeeps, and I have the itch to hit the trails. Two unfortunate facts is that I will have to drive 90mins+ to offroad from where I live, and I have a limited budget. Although, probably best that I dont have 5k to dump into something I'll do 6 - 10 times per year.

So after much research of tires, lifts, spacing, rubbing, blah blah blah... I've come up with this combo of products which is within striking distance of a budget for me. Please look at it and give me your thoughts on performance, cons of the setup, what i'll be missing out on, etc. Or is it even worth it...

Wheels: 2012 JKU OEM Stock. 17" Alloys
Tires:285/70/17 (Not sure on brand yet, but budgeting $1300 here)
Wheel Spacers: Spidertrax Wheel Spacer Kit: $99
Lift: TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit w/ Shock Adapters: $486
Quick Disconnects: JKS Manu Quicker Disconnects: $160
Bumper Caps: Rough Country JK Bump Caps: $59

All in all this is just over $2k before tax. Is this money well spent towards being able to handle a bit more fun on the trail?

Any recommendations on Tires?

manamal is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,364
Yup you are fine. I would upgrade shocks as well. You can run a longer shock to get some more travel of road.

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
manamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Yup you are fine. I would upgrade shocks as well. You can run a longer shock to get some more travel of road.
Hmmm, I was under the impression that kit had new shocks... I will have to look into it more to see what specs I could add in, I guess. If you have any thoughts please feel free to share.
manamal is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by manamal View Post
Hmmm, I was under the impression that kit had new shocks... I will have to look into it more to see what specs I could add in, I guess. If you have any thoughts please feel free to share.
That kit has shock ADAPTORS. Little extension doo-hickeys. They're okay. If you can afford a few more pennies (well, actually, about $400), upgrade to better shocks. You can always do that later as well, and maybe resell the adaptors to someone else.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,364
Yep

Wait for another Rancho promo. I bought my 9000's online 20% off and $100 mail in rebate. Paid around $250 for 4 shocks and sold the adapters for $50.
May be able to get a few bucks for the stockers. rubi's fetch around $100
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
manamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 24
ok, so to continue the education of Manamal, am I right in my understanding that Shock Adapters main purpose is to make sure that the stock shocks are not too short. So now you have a longer distance, but the stock shocks dont have the ideal resistance for the extra distance... Hence the need for longer shocks.
manamal is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
bbermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wauconda, IL
Posts: 143
Sounds good but do you need two or four spacers? That price sounds like two.
__________________
2012 JKU Altitude
bbermann is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
WranglerJR83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tampa
Posts: 354
I would say to forget the bumper caps and get some rough country discos. Switching to those 2 things will save you $150 to put towards shocks.
__________________
If you don't drive a Jeep, than %^(# you!
- Ricky Bobby


2007 JKU - 2.5 RC, Teraflex LK, 315/75R16 Cooper Stt
1995 YJ - 2.5" ProComp+1" Shackles on 32x11.5r15
WranglerJR83 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
wassup8687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by manamal View Post
So like many others, I'm new to modding jeeps, and I have the itch to hit the trails. Two unfortunate facts is that I will have to drive 90mins+ to offroad from where I live, and I have a limited budget. Although, probably best that I dont have 5k to dump into something I'll do 6 - 10 times per year.

So after much research of tires, lifts, spacing, rubbing, blah blah blah... I've come up with this combo of products which is within striking distance of a budget for me. Please look at it and give me your thoughts on performance, cons of the setup, what i'll be missing out on, etc. Or is it even worth it...

Wheels: 2012 JKU OEM Stock. 17" Alloys
Tires:285/70/17 (Not sure on brand yet, but budgeting $1300 here)
Wheel Spacers: Spidertrax Wheel Spacer Kit: $99
Lift: TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit w/ Shock Adapters: $486
Quick Disconnects: JKS Manu Quicker Disconnects: $160
Bumper Caps: Rough Country JK Bump Caps: $59

All in all this is just over $2k before tax. Is this money well spent towards being able to handle a bit more fun on the trail?

Any recommendations on Tires?
Sounds like that would work fine but if you are only going to go 6-10x a year I'd recommend getting the TeraFlex Leveling kit for $130. It'll give you 2" in the front and 1" in the rear.

As for tires I just got the Cooper Discovery AT3's in 285/70/17 and they fit perfect with the leveling kit. They also have very good traction and are great on or off road.
wassup8687 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by manamal
ok, so to continue the education of Manamal, am I right in my understanding that Shock Adapters main purpose is to make sure that the stock shocks are not too short. So now you have a longer distance, but the stock shocks dont have the ideal resistance for the extra distance... Hence the need for longer shocks.
Yes.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 3,984
Images: 3
You will need to budget in another bill since you need two sets of wheel spaces.
__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassup8687 View Post
Sounds like that would work fine but if you are only going to go 6-10x a year I'd recommend getting the TeraFlex Leveling kit for $130. It'll give you 2" in the front and 1" in the rear.

As for tires I just got the Cooper Discovery AT3's in 285/70/17 and they fit perfect with the leveling kit. They also have very good traction and are great on or off road.
X2...a 2.5" lift is not needed for 33" tires and the TF leveling kit works great. Skip the bumper caps. This will give you the extra budget for better shocks.
__________________



river2c is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,307
Looks good!

If you're only going a few times per year, probably want AT (all terrain) tires. Checkout BFG AT or Duratrac.

I agree with the others that you'll eventually want to replace the shocks and get rid of the adapters. It will be a good temporary fix though.
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Mule75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TENNESSEE
Posts: 272
not sure of your rig, you could always look into used take off springs from other JKs that have upgraded. can be considerably cheaper, even free. I got 2+ inches of lift that way.

your mileage may vary.
__________________
I have a JK and I wave
Mule75 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
jsmithtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,203
Images: 4
If you are getting new wheels why the spacers. Getting ready to pull my spacers off if you are looking for some. Skip the shock adapters and buy new shocks.
jsmithtx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
manamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithtx View Post
If you are getting new wheels why the spacers. Getting ready to pull my spacers off if you are looking for some. Skip the shock adapters and buy new shocks.
Not getting new wheels, just putting tires on my OEM Wheels.

What kind of spacers do you have?
manamal is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
manamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by river2c View Post
X2...a 2.5" lift is not needed for 33" tires and the TF leveling kit works great. Skip the bumper caps. This will give you the extra budget for better shocks.

I will look into this for sure, thanks for the heads up.
manamal is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
manamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 24
Thank you everyone for your help thus far, here is the update:

Wheels: OEM Stock: $0
Lift: Teraflex JK Wrangler Leveling Kit: $135
Wheel Spacers: Spidertrax Wheel Spacer Kit x2 : $198
Tires: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar x5: $1,425
Bumper Caps: Rough Country JK Bump Caps: $59
Quick Disconnects: DIY from Home Depot: $20

Total: $1838.99

My plan will be to pick up everything but the tires and spacers, level the thing and install the rest so I can hit the trails stock for now. I'll pull the triger on the tires after xmas.

Do you think if the jeep goes up an inch or two with the leveling kit that it will negatively effect on road performance?
__________________
Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Nothing
manamal is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by manamal
Thank you everyone for your help thus far, here is the update:

Wheels: OEM Stock: $0
Lift: Teraflex JK Wrangler Leveling Kit: $135
Wheel Spacers: Spidertrax Wheel Spacer Kit x2 : $198
Tires: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar x5: $1,425
Bumper Caps: Rough Country JK Bump Caps: $59
Quick Disconnects: DIY from Home Depot: $20

Total: $1838.99

My plan will be to pick up everything but the tires and spacers, level the thing and install the rest so I can hit the trails stock for now. I'll pull the triger on the tires after xmas.

Do you think if the jeep goes up an inch or two with the leveling kit that it will negatively effect on road performance?
2" front and 1" rear. Should not effect anything.

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
cheap lift , cheap mods , jku

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC