Winch? - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #61
Jeeper
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussblues View Post
Your jeeps frame was made by Hyundai...let's get past the import argument to validate product quality and talk more about helpful counterpoints.
My frame is metal and does not consist of gears, solenoids, and electronics. My winch is American made. And if you haven't noticed is far more popular and better built than the Chinese junk you have mentioned. I go out of my way to buy American products. Even if the cost is a little higher. It has been in my experience that made in the USA products are far more reliable than Chinese made products. But to each his own. I hope you like your Chinese made winch because I love my WARN. I am not doubting you that my tj frame is Hyundai made, but please provide me a link.

__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Rubi513 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post

My frame is metal and does not consist of gears, solenoids, and electronics. My winch is American made. And if you haven't noticed is far more popular and better built than the Chinese junk you have mentioned. I go out of my way to buy American products. Even if the cost is a little higher. It has been in my experience that made in the USA products are far more reliable than Chinese made products. But to each his own. I hope you like your Chinese made winch because I love my WARN. I am not doubting you that my tj frame is Hyundai made, but please provide me a link.
Sorry on a jk forum, assumed you had a jk, not sure of the country of origin on a tj frame, but please look under the hood and dash at all of the parts that you rely on to run your jeep, most of that must be junk as Asian "junk" as well. I'm not here to talk about personal political stances on economics, I am trying to suggest a winch that is apparently no more solid than your tj...or my LJ for that matter.

__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussblues View Post
Sorry on a jk forum, assumed you had a jk, not sure of the country of origin on a tj frame, but please look under the hood and dash at all of the parts that you rely on to run your jeep, most of that must be junk as Asian "junk" as well. I'm not here to talk about personal political stances on economics, I am trying to suggest a winch that is apparently no more solid than your tj...or my LJ for that matter.
I guess it really doesn't matter. The gentleman that started this post went the smart route and chose the WARN
__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Rubi513 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #64
Jeeper
 
Blue Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 300
Just waiting on the bumper to get back from powder coating to install her.
Blue Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
asianhulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 720
Does anyone know if there are any negative effects of mounting a winch off center? The 10A bumper makes the fairlead mount about 2 inches closer the driver side, I want to assume not but I don't have that experience of wheeling and winching.
__________________
2013 JKU 10A Anvil/Black
Ordered 02/25/13, Delivered 05/14/13
asianhulk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianhulk View Post
Does anyone know if there are any negative effects of mounting a winch off center? The 10A bumper makes the fairlead mount about 2 inches closer the driver side, I want to assume not but I don't have that experience of wheeling and winching.
You just have to make sure all of the line doesn't spool to one side and get stuck.
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #67
Jeeper
 
asianhulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussblues View Post
You just have to make sure all of the line doesn't spool to one side and get stuck.
Thanks for the response, makes sense
__________________
2013 JKU 10A Anvil/Black
Ordered 02/25/13, Delivered 05/14/13
asianhulk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #68
Jeeper
 
Circa1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 57
I had a Warn on my yj, and wished I pulled it off to save for my new jk. It saved me and fellow off roaders the hassle of calling a tow truck over the years. It definately paid for itself. I'm going with Warn again.
Circa1973 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #69
Jeeper
 
fireguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pine CO
Posts: 171
I don't mean to get off thread here but re: the Hyundai frame. We traded in a 2009 Hyundai with 155k miles (completely trouble free on it) for the JKU. I would not hesitate to buy another Hyundai vehicle. It was still tight and ran just as good as the day we bought it. IMO they produce quality vehicles with many models mfg. here in the US. I am not doing lengthy commutes anymore and the JK is our daily driver and off road fun machine now. Just received our WARN $ 100.00 rebate yesterday. Still waiting to use the winch, no war story's to report yet on our winch.
__________________
2004 Red TJ Rubicon 3" Terraflex Short Arm Lift Rancho Shocks 32" GY Duratracs LEVEL 8 ZX Wheels Warn F&R Bumpers Warn Winch.

2013 Gecko Pearl Auto 3.73's JKU 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift 5100 Bilsteins 315 70 17 GY Duratracs LEVEL 8 ZX Wheels Warn Zeon 10k Winch Rubicon Sliders XRC Front and XRC Rear w/Tire Carrier bumper.
fireguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #70
Sponsoring Vendor
 
KrawlOff-Road.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 1,772
Side note...

Warn's new promotion is a FREE Accessory Kit of $200.00!

Warn

Okay, back to the debate...

-Jason
__________________
KrawlOff-Road.com:
Facebook
Email
Phone: 864-437-8029
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
The General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 411
I went with the warn VR10000. I think it was 599$ at Princess Auto. Installed it last night. Install was easy.

Attachment 246717
The General is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #72
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Side note...

Warn's new promotion is a FREE Accessory Kit of $200.00!

Warn

Okay, back to the debate...

-Jason
Is it just my network connection, Jason, or are your links broken on your Warn page?
__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I don't mean to get off thread here but re: the Hyundai frame. We traded in a 2009 Hyundai with 155k miles (completely trouble free on it) for the JKU. I would not hesitate to buy another Hyundai vehicle. It was still tight and ran just as good as the day we bought it. IMO they produce quality vehicles with many models mfg. here in the US. I am not doing lengthy commutes anymore and the JK is our daily driver and off road fun machine now. Just received our WARN $ 100.00 rebate yesterday. Still waiting to use the winch, no war story's to report yet on our winch.

I wouldn't call a Hyundai a tight vehicle. I thought my 2004 325i was tight when I stepped up from an acura integra. I again thought my 2008 550i was tight when I stepped up from the 325i. Now I have a 2010 ///M and that's a seriously TIGHT vehicle. Test drive a ///M, AMG Merc, or Aston to find out what a tight vehicle actually feels like. Unfortunately, you won't be able to go back to driving other vehicles, except for a wrangler of course.
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #74
Sponsoring Vendor
 
KrawlOff-Road.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post
Is it just my network connection, Jason, or are your links broken on your Warn page?
Ah crap. I see what your saying! Just scroll down a bit! LOL man, it sucks sometimes not being a website designer guy! I will get it fixed...

-Jason
__________________
KrawlOff-Road.com:
Facebook
Email
Phone: 864-437-8029
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #75
Jeeper
 
Blue Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 300
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2644978315.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	457754

I never did post back after install. Love the winch got to use it twice works like a charm. Love it so far.
Blue Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #76
Jeeper
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 1,577
Looks good!
__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Rubi513 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #77
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomrider View Post
I definitely understand that warn is "the best" but the both carry the same warranty. One is assembled in the USA which is great. And one is assembled in china. So let's be real your paying for the name. Just like anything else. If you have the money to throw at it why not but for the rest of us why would you when if it does malfunction they will replace it all the same.
When your axle deep in mud and your winch fails, the last thing you'll care about is warranty. It's not like you're going to unbolt it from your jeep, send it off, and then wait till it comes back to bolt it on and pull yourself out. I'll take reliability or warranty any day. For me, I find that chinese goods tend to vary a lot. They like to substitute materials when they run short. I wouldn't want to find out they substituted something while pulling up a ledge. Resulting damage can easily be way more than the added cost of a great winch.
redneckwelder is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #78
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Great White North
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetraveller View Post
You want 1.5 to 2 times the GVW in winch capacity. So an 8-10k lb winch is usually plenty.

Here are some useful documents from Uncle Sam.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery%20ch22.pdf

FM 20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations

Mike

Love the Field Manual. Page 27 is my favourite. I wonder if that has ever been done. Getting stuck with two trees parallel and at the right distance apart and all. Calling a buddy on a cell phone to come pull you out would be faster. Still great to see what they were thinking in the good ole days.

Actually that whole manual is awesome. Would love to try out the skid on pg 96. I'm downloading a copy and keeping it handy lots of great ideas.
WorkingMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #79
Jeeper
 
LSU Wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjdrizzt View Post
The last "official" word from Warn states that the VR Series winches are produced in Oregon. They are NOT manufactured in China. "Some" parts may not be from said factory. However, they are NOT "rebranded" Tabor winches, nor are they winches manufactured in China. The statement went on to say that they are manufactured in Oregon under the same standards and testing as all Warn Winches.

Sure, the Chinese winches give you a lot for less money. However, I have absolutely no regrets choosing Warn.
Here's the UPC label off of the VR winch I just bought from Warn.



Not that I have any less confidence in it, just pointing out that these seem to be outsourced.
LSU Wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #80
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Wrangler View Post
Here's the UPC label off of the VR winch I just bought from Warn.



Not that I have any less confidence in it, just pointing out that these seem to be outsourced.
Well hell. Been researching winches and had kind of come down to the Engo, but with Christmas sales and a rebate, the Warn VR 8000 synthetic was looking pretty good. Kinda clouds the issue again. Lots of Engo love in this thread, and I have read many good reviews, but have also read of excessive noise/ lack of grease in the gear set. Anyone have these issues? Looking at the Engo 10000s for more than $200 less than the Warn.
SLS TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #81
Jeeper
 
krawdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roscoe, GA
Posts: 365
I'll be putting the old reliable M8000 in my Elite bumper if Uncle Sam gives me some money back in February Had one on my TJ and it worked great.

__________________
2013 JK Sahara Commando Green (ordered 8/12, delivered 10/16)
The Screamin' Lima Bean
Previous - 02 TJ, 70's model CJ7 (was in HS, didn't care about year, just knew it was a Jeep!)
krawdaddy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC