Wrangler vs high end off-roaders - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #61
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
For what it's worth, I hope to someday get the opportunity to import (or find stateside) an old Defender (25 years old at the time I find it of course!) and build it up right. It'd be expensive to do and probably to maintain thereafter, but it'd be an awesome project.

I've got no problem--none--with "admitting" that many other vehicles are also great offroaders and/or overlanders. Toyotas, Land Rovers, Nissans, etc. have all put out some good ones over the years. And once you start modding, you could make just about anything into an indefatigable tank that's perfectly suited to whatever task you've planned for it.

__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Back to the original post, I am a Top Gear UK fanatic, if you are as well, you can see season 2-17 on netflix instant view or for the the current season and those that have not reached our shore, in the US, on a new season, streetfire.net will get you there for free. I digress, I have wanted to see the same thing, a 2012 fully loaded rubi unlimited against its euro counter parts would be great. I don't care how common or not the are in Europe, do the segment here. Plenty of places to put the to the test on US ground. Still, my favorite off road episode is the Bolivia one, made me love the FJ40 Hammond drove.

To our "can remain nameless" non jeep plugging member, even Europeans tout the unreliability of land rovers, at least the older ones, and I was recently off roading with a land rover gathering at URE, that was a sad day. Looked like a bunch of soccer moms got lost in the woods. They are nice vehicles, the newer ones, but just aren't built from the factory to do what a jeep can do stock(excluding the defender, cant get that here).

BlsdTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
Commando Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 4,639
... America!!!
__________________
Will
Forest Green Pearl TJ
4.0L/ 5 speed/ Rampage Soft Top
3" SL/1.25" BL/1" MML
Warn Rear/ ARB full width front Bumper
33x11 Wrangler MTR Kevlar/16" Ultrastar rims
Engo 12k cable
Commando Solo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #64
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Comac90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Beer Town USA, 4yrs running
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL2 View Post
Land Rover Defender 90:
Approach - 47
Departure - 47
Clearance - 12.5 inches
Break Over - (180 - 147) 33

Solid Axles - Check
Coil Springs - Check
Factory skid plating - Check
2-sp Transfer case - Check
Locking diff - Check

7700 lb towing capacity
Full time 4WD

I get it, we love Wranglers, but credit where it's due.
Don't forget a 45* sideslope ability and a 40* 'running' sideslope ability.

But, to clarify ... D90s don't have the skidplates that a JK does - I wouldn't call the one under the gas tank on a 90 a "skid" plate. Also, it does have 'a' locking diff, but that's only the center diff ... basically making it the same as a Wrangler in 4WD when it is locked. And, as for those solid axles ... the shafts are WIMPY (24-spline, 1.25" shafts that are all too easy to snap by even the softest of drivers) and a non-hypoid R&P that is only relatively strong because of the 3.54 stock gear ratio.

But, I love 'em even with their shortcomings.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmcd99 View Post
Toss the numbers out the window. I just dont see enough companies that offer aftermarket support for the defenders, stock sucks, its the forever building process that wranglers have that keeps me loyal.
You haven't looked very hard then. There is a bunch of aftermarket support. You just have to 'pay to play'. I know a thing or two about building Defenders - I know because I co-founded a company that designs parts for and builds Defenders (among other Land Rovers) for customers. And, I competed against all the aftermarket support - I've moved on, but the company is still in business and business is booming (in fact, they were written up in Overland Journal last year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
For what it's worth, I hope to someday get the opportunity to import (or find stateside) an old Defender (25 years old at the time I find it of course!) and build it up right. It'd be expensive to do and probably to maintain thereafter, but it'd be an awesome project.

I've got no problem--none--with "admitting" that many other vehicles are also great offroaders and/or overlanders. Toyotas, Land Rovers, Nissans, etc. have all put out some good ones over the years. And once you start modding, you could make just about anything into an indefatigable tank that's perfectly suited to whatever task you've planned for it.
Yes - very expensive. Jeeps are sooooo much cheaper. In the USA, you gotta really love a Defender to justify the costs. In the words of Scott Brady when comparing the Defender 110 to a Jeep JKUR ... 'The only thing a Defender does better than a Jeep is look good.'

IMHO, the only thing a NAS (aka N. American spec) Defender has going for it over the JK is they are simpler to work-on and have a much higher payload.

All that said, my Defender was the most reliable, fun, best rig that I have personally ever owned. I spent literally 100s of days on the trails with it ... but, I still wouldn't buy another one over my JK. Here's to the past (this photo of me and my D90 used to be hanging in one of the Jeep Rental Places in Moab - I believe Farabees. (Maybe it still is???) Who said Rovers and Jeeps can't get along? )

__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon - Delivered 8/19/2011
Auto - 4.10s - AEV: 3.5" SC lift, Milspec front bumper, rear bumper, tire carrier w/ hi-lift mount, front skid plate, high-steer - Warn XD9000i w/ Viking Winchline - 35" BFG MTs - Hellas - Katzkin Leather - RAM iPad mount - Cobra 75/Firestik - Poison Spyder Fairlead - Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails - aFe y-pipe - Rock Hard Oil Pan/Engine Skid - 10lb PowerTank
Comac90 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #65
A-14

WF Supporting Member
 
1Topp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BarkCamp Ga.
Posts: 1,418
Images: 72
They are all Jeeps anyway.......... Land Rover..The design for the original Land Rover vehicle was started in 1947 by Maurice Wilks, chief designer at the Rover Company, on his farm in Newborough, Anglesey. It is said that he was inspired by an American World War II Jeep that he used one summer at his holiday home in Wales. Toyota Land Cruiser...In 1941 the Imperial Japanese Army occupied the Philippines, where they found an old Bantam Mk II Jeep, and promptly brought it to Japan. The Japanese military authorities commanded Toyota to make a similar vehicle but to not model the appearance on the American Jeep. Overland Vehicle... Willys-Overland Motors, an American automobile company best known for its design and production of military Jeeps. Hummers were first designed and built by AM General Corporation, which was formerly AMC-Jeep's General Products division. Just copys of the real Jeep........ history is cool ain't it ?
__________________


A-14 Build
A-14 Profile
A-14 Pics
1Topp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #66
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comac90 View Post
Yes - very expensive. Jeeps are sooooo much cheaper. In the USA, you gotta really love a Defender to justify the costs. In the words of Scott Brady when comparing the Defender 110 to a Jeep JKUR ... 'The only thing a Defender does better than a Jeep is look good.'

IMHO, the only thing a NAS (aka N. American spec) Defender has going for it over the JK is they are simpler to work-on and have a much higher payload.

I've got a buddy who "inherited" his dad's old Defender. He thinks it's cool, but he's not an offroader and is totally overwhelmed by the repair, maintenance, and fuel costs. On top of that, he sees all the "cool looking" mods that can be done, but can't swallow any of the steep costs--I haven't asked about specifics, but I gather there aren't many "budget boost, cheap 15" alloys, and some 33x12.5R15" options for Defenders.

I haven't looked into with any depth as it will be many years until I have the disposable income to take on such a task, but my plan would be to get an old one and strip the beejesus out of it. Start all over. I'd be less concerned about staying "true" to LR parts and more focused on turning it into an essentially "new" vehicle. Pricey, I'm sure.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #67
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderRUBICON View Post
I kinda like , Chasing classic Cars (Wayne Carini),and I DVR the Mecum auction on a regular basis also. I love those shows!

AJ
I respected his expertise and taste in cars until I saw the BMW Veritas episode.
__________________
SO MUCH EXCITE!
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #68
Jeeper
 
RRTRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
For what it's worth, I hope to someday get the opportunity to import (or find stateside) an old Defender (25 years old at the time I find it of course!) and build it up right. It'd be expensive to do and probably to maintain thereafter, but it'd be an awesome project.

I've got no problem--none--with "admitting" that many other vehicles are also great offroaders and/or overlanders. Toyotas, Land Rovers, Nissans, etc. have all put out some good ones over the years. And once you start modding, you could make just about anything into an indefatigable tank that's perfectly suited to whatever task you've planned for it.
I've thought about getting a Defender several times as well. They are just so darn expensive (to purchase and fix up) and I have trouble wanting to pay that much for something that old. My local LR dealer knows me pretty well (sometimes I stop by just to talk hunting or other BS not having anything to do with cars) and knows if they ever get one to give me a call so I can at least consider it. I think they've had one come through that they offered for sale in the last 2 years and it lasted all of 2 days on the lot.

Last summer were out shopping and saw a nice Defender parked in the mall parking lot. I wrote a note with my phone number on it asking if they were interested in selling it and left it on the windshield. We left and went to lunch at the burrito place around the corner. While sitting outside eating I saw the Defender drive by looking ever cool. I never got a call from the guy! I thought he would at least call me either way. My attitude is everything I have is for sale for the right price and I would at least inquire if someone left me a note. But then again if I had that Defender I might have kept it to myself as well!
RRTRI is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #69
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
O_M_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Central Wyoming
Posts: 939
Neil Gaimen once said

"In Britain a hundred miles is a long way, and in America a hundred years is a long time"

Thats what you have to comprehend to apply Top Gear UK to your American predisposition
__________________
There are a million ways to build a Jeep, pick one and do it - you bought a canvas, not a painting!

Click here to support Wranglerforum
Or else the teddy bear gets it
O_M_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #70
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Comac90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Beer Town USA, 4yrs running
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
I've got a buddy who "inherited" his dad's old Defender. He thinks it's cool, but he's not an offroader and is totally overwhelmed by the repair, maintenance, and fuel costs. On top of that, he sees all the "cool looking" mods that can be done, but can't swallow any of the steep costs--I haven't asked about specifics, but I gather there aren't many "budget boost, cheap 15" alloys, and some 33x12.5R15" options for Defenders.

I haven't looked into with any depth as it will be many years until I have the disposable income to take on such a task, but my plan would be to get an old one and strip the beejesus out of it. Start all over. I'd be less concerned about staying "true" to LR parts and more focused on turning it into an essentially "new" vehicle. Pricey, I'm sure.
That's basically what you have to do if you're going start trying to lift, regear, put larger tires on, etc. Our company actually started by swapping out the stock Rover 3rd members for hypoid, hi-pinion Toyota ones and upgraded shafts, etc. We also did custom suspensions. The 3-link rear is great, but the 2-link front needs to help to get it to flex.

Though, if you're staying relatively stock (NAS D90s came stock with 32s), maybe only adding a mild lift with Old Man Emu or Bearmach springs, then you can build them up nicely without getting into major drivetrain mods. But, price is the key ... Rover stuff is about 3x the price of Jeep stuff, in my experience, unless you know where to look.

That said, if you stay within stock specs (tire size, etc), it's pretty amazing the abuse the rigs can take. The LT230 t-case is essentially a 1-ton t-case, the frames are fully boxed, the R380 trannies are tough, and you don't have to worry about bending front housings.

If you have 45mins to blow, do a search for Camel Trophy Kalimantan 1996 on Youtube - one of the best Camel Trophies ever, IMO. ... Pretty astonishing the abuse those stock vehicles take loaded to the hilt with the gear they have to carry (granted, they DO have added rollcages and helper springs in the rear, and are running turbo diesels that were never 'officially' offered in the states, but still ... basically stock rigs).

A couple of my favorite Trophy pictures of all time ...





T
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon - Delivered 8/19/2011
Auto - 4.10s - AEV: 3.5" SC lift, Milspec front bumper, rear bumper, tire carrier w/ hi-lift mount, front skid plate, high-steer - Warn XD9000i w/ Viking Winchline - 35" BFG MTs - Hellas - Katzkin Leather - RAM iPad mount - Cobra 75/Firestik - Poison Spyder Fairlead - Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails - aFe y-pipe - Rock Hard Oil Pan/Engine Skid - 10lb PowerTank
Comac90 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 22
Top Gear is the biggest biased joke on the planet. They have an extreme dislike to Chrysler and tolerate GM and Ford...however if it has BMW or Audi it is awesome!

Look at how they bad mouthed the Viper....yet it excelled in every way you would want a niche car like that to be. Speed...power...handeling.....ohh but it is EPIC FAIL because the INTERIOR is uncomfortable and cheap!
However, you can lap a Lambo and crush a Ferrari while still looking good...but because the ride is stiff/rough....bad grades!
Zan186 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #72
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comac90

That's basically what you have to do if you're going start trying to lift, regear, put larger tires on, etc. Our company actually started by swapping out the stock Rover 3rd members for hypoid, hi-pinion Toyota ones and upgraded shafts, etc. We also did custom suspensions. The 3-link rear is great, but the 2-link front needs to help to get it to flex.

Though, if you're staying relatively stock (NAS D90s came stock with 32s), maybe only adding a mild lift with Old Man Emu or Bearmach springs, then you can build them up nicely without getting into major drivetrain mods. But, price is the key ... Rover stuff is about 3x the price of Jeep stuff, in my experience, unless you know where to look.

That said, if you stay within stock specs (tire size, etc), it's pretty amazing the abuse the rigs can take. The LT230 t-case is essentially a 1-ton t-case, the frames are fully boxed, the R380 trannies are tough, and you don't have to worry about bending front housings.

If you have 45mins to blow, do a search for Camel Trophy Kalimantan 1996 on Youtube - one of the best Camel Trophies ever, IMO. ... Pretty astonishing the abuse those stock vehicles take loaded to the hilt with the gear they have to carry (granted, they DO have added rollcages and helper springs in the rear, and are running turbo diesels that were never 'officially' offered in the states, but still ... basically stock rigs).

A couple of my favorite Trophy pictures of all time ...





T
Good info man!

Love the pics too.

About triple on parts . . . that hurts, but not totally crazy--jeep parts are cheap IMO, so they're at opposite points on a much larger spectrum. I would've guessed triple anyway, so no sticker shock.

My assumption has always been you've got to pay to play on the old Defenders. It is what it is.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #73
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan186 View Post
Top Gear is the biggest biased joke on the planet. They have an extreme dislike to Chrysler and tolerate GM and Ford...however if it has BMW or Audi it is awesome!

Look at how they bad mouthed the Viper....yet it excelled in every way you would want a niche car like that to be. Speed...power...handeling.....ohh but it is EPIC FAIL because the INTERIOR is uncomfortable and cheap!
However, you can lap a Lambo and crush a Ferrari while still looking good...but because the ride is stiff/rough....bad grades!
You do realize it is an entertainment show and not a news show, right?
__________________
~ Luke
2012 JKU SportS
33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs
MB72 Wheels
R4D4R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #74
Jeeper
 
MarineHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Topp View Post
... Hummers were first designed and built by AM General Corporation...
I'm pretty sure HMMWVs, H1s, and H2s were only built by AM General (the latter two were sold by GM).
MarineHawk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #75
A-14

WF Supporting Member
 
1Topp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BarkCamp Ga.
Posts: 1,418
Images: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
I'm pretty sure HMMWVs, H1s, and H2s were only built by AM General (the latter two were sold by GM).

On April 1, 1971, AM General Corporation was incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of the American Motors Corporation and separate from the Jeep Corporation. This move was initiated to give independent status to AM General to fulfill the special transportation requirements of the U.S. Government and pursue further diversification. Same company.... got it's start from Jeep, thats my point.
__________________


A-14 Build
A-14 Profile
A-14 Pics
1Topp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #76
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 34
Are there an 'Jeep Comparison' videos out there? ie. videos that have professional drivers (not random youtube idiots) testing Jeeps against some of the aforementioned competitors?
Galan007 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #77
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
The UK Top Gear IMO doesn't like American automobiles & especialy dislike Chrysler products. I wish the American version would do more serious new auto testing & quit testing the euro super cars, leave that to the UK show, JMO.
So, I'm an American and think Chrysler builds nothing but sh!t. Only recently, have they gotten slightly better, but outside the Wrangler and the New GC, their mass market cars are utter crap, and cannot compare to any other manufacturer (lower end dodges, chryslers, etc.) They have a LONG way to go.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #78
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan186 View Post
Top Gear is the biggest biased joke on the planet. They have an extreme dislike to Chrysler and tolerate GM and Ford...however if it has BMW or Audi it is awesome!

Look at how they bad mouthed the Viper....yet it excelled in every way you would want a niche car like that to be. Speed...power...handeling.....ohh but it is EPIC FAIL because the INTERIOR is uncomfortable and cheap!
However, you can lap a Lambo and crush a Ferrari while still looking good...but because the ride is stiff/rough....bad grades!
So? You are acting like a Chrysler fanboi. I am not a "fan" of ANY car maker. If they make a great car, I'll love the car. I think Chrysler is a poorly run company and has been building nothing but crap for the last 20 years. They still can't build a decent economy car. Does that mean that my Wrangler sucks? No. Have you ever driven a viper? I've driven them all. The old ones are TERRIBLY impractical, have the most expensive body panel in the automotive industry ($45,000 front clamshell). They are beautiful to look at, but much like older ferrari's, as a "sports" car, they sucked. The SRT-10 was far better, but for the money, a 911 with 1/2 the horsepower would run rings around it, as would the Vette. Do I still love it? Absolutely. Clarkson even said, "it's a terrible car, but I love it." I don't jock a car maker like the old farts with their old fords and GMs. They are the reasons they were making crap...because people kept buying it. Ford has come around full circle, making cars that I would never consider buying to cars that I am GOING to buy (2013 GT500.) Same with Chrysler. If you asked me 5 years ago if I would ever own a chrysler product, I'd tell you to put down the crackpipe. However, when a manufacturer hits rock bottom, (not just American car companies btw, Benz did it too) they only have one way to go. Thank the Japanese and Korean car makers for waking up the American brands.

Don't be a fanboi, it discredits any validity to your claims.

P.S. Top Gear is an entertainment show. It's funny. If you are watching Top Gear for "sensible consumer advice" then you are watching it for the wrong reasons.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #79
Sr. "Honey-Bucket" Engr.

WF Supporting Member
 
71K5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 392
Images: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiss View Post
The first vehichle I owned with 4 wheels was a '71 Jimmy that was fantastic. Durable, fun, practical, & could go topless - had the 307 short block that just kept going & going - lots of fond memories but I sold it for a '79 CJ which was even more fun
My first 71' Blazer, Bronze w/ Black top, had the 307 V8 with 3 "on the tree" manual transmission. I put some Armstrong Tru Trac tires on white spoke wheels with the late 70's Truck/Blazer Rally wheel series stainless/chrome rings mounted to the white spokes.
Hookers headers and Thrush Hush mufflers on dual exhaust. That little 3Tree could bark all four pretty well in 4lo on the pavement.
Fun little truck/convertible.
Have had auto transmissions in my other three 71/72 Blazers.
71K5 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #80
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC

So, I'm an American and think Chrysler builds nothing but sh!t. Only recently, have they gotten slightly better, but outside the Wrangler and the New GC, their mass market cars are utter crap, and cannot compare to any other manufacturer (lower end dodges, chryslers, etc.) They have a LONG way to go.
The dodge aires was awesome. It is legendary like the russian lada, lmao
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #81
Jeeper
 
MarineHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
So? ... If they make a great car, I'll love the car. ... .
Then, you should marry it!




Sorry, I spend too much time around my youg boys.
MarineHawk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #82
Jeeper
 
Omar Brannstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 426
Hi

If You want to see other 4WD out there I would recommend to see the movies here and it gives me a lot of inspiration.


Look at the movies 4WD Action DVD

4WD and Offroad - YouTube
__________________
2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon, delivered in one week
Omar Brannstrom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #83
Jeeper
 
SeaComms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Noosa, QLD, Australia
Posts: 780
I have read in this thread once or twice the key to this whole saga - its an entertainment show with no real mechanical merit to it at all. Also you have to remember, just like british cars are expensive to buy and fix in the US, often finding it hard to find someone who knows them well, US cars would be the same issue in the UK.

I can add to that by saying down here in upside down land, a JK is least 50% more than it is over there - our lowest spec JK is a touch over $36,000 AU driveaway (bout US$34,600), (and our fuel is currently averaging around $5.80 US per gallon).

So it pushes it price wise up into a higher class of vehicle than it was built to. Not a problem for me, but for some less educated in the way of Jeeps / mall crawler driver will have much higher expectations as to fit and finish, on road ride quality etc. Buy it knowing what it was made for and accepting that we get royally screwed on pricing down here and its a great vehicle. I would presume its probably the same in the UK. Also every time you see them do an offroad challenge its always grass they are driving on and tyres are the only thing seperating one vehicle from the next!

The other issue down here - break down in the outback (Australia is only 5% smaller than the US mainland, with with 90% less people) and you pretty much have to get it towed as most outback mechanics wont touch them. Break down in a Toyota or Nissan and they will have parts. Not because they are better, simply there is a bucket load more of them, so it makes more sense for them to carry Toyota and Nissan parts!

That, and as for the original question - most pommies are wankers anyway
__________________
Cheers from Downunder, Dave.
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl 'Renegade' pack (includes dual top options, 17in alloys, side steps etc).
2.5in Flexy springs, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex rear trackbar bracket, Synergy front and rear sway bar links and front disco kit, Synergy steering damper relocation bracket, AEV front drop brackets, ARB front and rear bar, 10,000lb rope winch, Britax Xray Vision driving lights, GME 3440 UHF radio.
SeaComms is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #84
Jeeper
 
Mopar2Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Topp View Post
They are all Jeeps anyway.......... Land Rover..The design for the original Land Rover vehicle was started in 1947 by Maurice Wilks, chief designer at the Rover Company, on his farm in Newborough, Anglesey. It is said that he was inspired by an American World War II Jeep that he used one summer at his holiday home in Wales. Toyota Land Cruiser...In 1941 the Imperial Japanese Army occupied the Philippines, where they found an old Bantam Mk II Jeep, and promptly brought it to Japan. The Japanese military authorities commanded Toyota to make a similar vehicle but to not model the appearance on the American Jeep. Overland Vehicle... Willys-Overland Motors, an American automobile company best known for its design and production of military Jeeps. Hummers were first designed and built by AM General Corporation, which was formerly AMC-Jeep's General Products division. Just copys of the real Jeep........ history is cool ain't it ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan186 View Post
Top Gear is the biggest biased joke on the planet. They have an extreme dislike to Chrysler and tolerate GM and Ford...however if it has BMW or Audi it is awesome!

Look at how they bad mouthed the Viper....yet it excelled in every way you would want a niche car like that to be. Speed...power...handeling.....ohh but it is EPIC FAIL because the INTERIOR is uncomfortable and cheap!
However, you can lap a Lambo and crush a Ferrari while still looking good...but because the ride is stiff/rough....bad grades!
+1! I like it when they compare apples to oranges. Even w/it's faults I do like the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
So, I'm an American and think Chrysler builds nothing but sh!t. Only recently, have they gotten slightly better, but outside the Wrangler and the New GC, their mass market cars are utter crap, and cannot compare to any other manufacturer (lower end dodges, chryslers, etc.) They have a LONG way to go.
& this would be your opinion, you obviously have a distaste for Chrysler. I could type all day about how many good Chrysler products there are/have been, but it would be a waste. There is much more to Chrysler than the last 20yrs(that's not saying they haven't made good auto's in those yrs). A lot of the recent issues w/Chrysler can be blamed on Mercedes & Cerberus. JMO.
__________________
2012 JK U R Crush (Specs in profile)
Pics: http://s1243.photobucket.com/profile/mopar2ya2/index
2006 GC(WK) SRT8 gone
1970 Charger R/T somewhere in pieces
Mopar2Ya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #85
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 705
I think this was the last sensible, consumer test they did

Jeremy tests the Ford Fiesta (series 12, episode 6) - BBC Top Gear
__________________
~ Luke
2012 JKU SportS
33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs
MB72 Wheels
R4D4R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #86
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
I emjoyed the episode of us top gear when tanner and the guys ran the 4x4 trucks in alaska.
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #87
Jeeper
 
Abdul-Hakeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 236
I just want to address the use of a Wrangler as an "overland" vehicle. I use a Wrangler on almost weekly medium trips over varied terrain and it does fine. I drive it in the desert for 3-5 hours at least twice a week during a normal work week as well. I've pulled out many of the more common Landcrusier, Hilux, and Nissan Patrol vehicles from the sand. I don't use it for "rock crawling" and I don't even know what this is to be honest with you. I use the Wrangler to cross any terrain to reach various remote locations, so I think this is the "overland" application.

The FJ Cruiser, which no one seems to like in America or the UK, is actually the closest performance competitor to the Wrangler from what I've seen here. This may be due to local terrain. I've only seen FJ Cruisers or Wranglers stuck here due to driver error by getting the middle caught on a sharp dune or by being insane and driving along the crest of a small dune.

I just don't want people to think Wrangler is good only for "rock crawling", it also excels in crossing terrain to reach a goal.
Abdul-Hakeem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #88
Jeeper
 
Abdul-Hakeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 236
...And Wrangler is becoming very popular very fast across the Middle East now. So the idea that it can't succeed commercially abroad is probably false.
Abdul-Hakeem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #89
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul-Hakeem
I just want to address the use of a Wrangler as an "overland" vehicle. I use a Wrangler on almost weekly medium trips over varied terrain and it does fine. I drive it in the desert for 3-5 hours at least twice a week during a normal work week as well. I've pulled out many of the more common Landcrusier, Hilux, and Nissan Patrol vehicles from the sand. I don't use it for "rock crawling" and I don't even know what this is to be honest with you. I use the Wrangler to cross any terrain to reach various remote locations, so I think this is the "overland" application.

The FJ Cruiser, which no one seems to like in America or the UK, is actually the closest performance competitor to the Wrangler from what I've seen here. This may be due to local terrain. I've only seen FJ Cruisers or Wranglers stuck here due to driver error by getting the middle caught on a sharp dune or by being insane and driving along the crest of a small dune.

I just don't want people to think Wrangler is good only for "rock crawling", it also excels in crossing terrain to reach a goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul-Hakeem
...And Wrangler is becoming very popular very fast across the Middle East now. So the idea that it can't succeed commercially abroad is probably false.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #90
Jeeper
 
whY402Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul-Hakeem
I just want to address the use of a Wrangler as an "overland" vehicle. I use a Wrangler on almost weekly medium trips over varied terrain and it does fine. I drive it in the desert for 3-5 hours at least twice a week during a normal work week as well. I've pulled out many of the more common Landcrusier, Hilux, and Nissan Patrol vehicles from the sand. I don't use it for "rock crawling" and I don't even know what this is to be honest with you. I use the Wrangler to cross any terrain to reach various remote locations, so I think this is the "overland" application.

The FJ Cruiser, which no one seems to like in America or the UK, is actually the closest performance competitor to the Wrangler from what I've seen here. This may be due to local terrain. I've only seen FJ Cruisers or Wranglers stuck here due to driver error by getting the middle caught on a sharp dune or by being insane and driving along the crest of a small dune.

I just don't want people to think Wrangler is good only for "rock crawling", it also excels in crossing terrain to reach a goal.
Rock crawling is driving over rocky terrain. It requires low gearing and lockers because you find yourself in off camber situations with one or two tires in the air. You have to be careful because crawling can result in busted drive shafts, tie rods, axles, diffs, and much more. Youtube it.

__________________
I'll show you mine if you show me yours... if you know what I mean.
whY402Jay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC