"Wranglers are not safe" - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 112
Unhappy "Wranglers are not safe"

Yep, that's what my wife says. I'm looking to buy a new wrangler. I owned a new '97 Wrangler for 3 years. I've missed it ever since I sold it. I have two daughters; 8 and 10 years old. My wife doesn't want me to get a Wrangler. She doesn't think they are safe vehicles. She managed to do her own "research" and came up with this: 2014 Jeep Wrangler Safety | U.S. News Best Cars

She says she doesn't like the words "marginal" and "poor" when it comes to safety. I told her in all honestly, in a major accident, I'd rather be in my Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab or her Honda Pilot, but I'd rather be in a Jeep Wrangler than something like a Chevy Volt or Toyota Prius. I also explained that with things like front and side airbags these wranglers are much more safe than they use to be and probably more safe than many vehicles prior to the 90s. I explained that we take risks everyday... everytime I take my girls to the waterpark, etc. I reassured her that my girls are the most important thing in the world to me and I'm a safe driver. Looooong story short, my wife said she "concedes." So, I get my Wrangler, right? Wooohooo!!! Well, I don't really feel like I can celebrate. I'm struggling to find many "pro" Jeep Wrangler reviews or safety stats. Does anyone have some info or a link that might put her at ease. Need some bro help here...

stealle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
insylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Enterprise, Alabama.
Posts: 956
Images: 3
Touchy subject here.. I'd hold off a while. While your wife may concede, she may still use it against you in the future. Id hate for you to have to choose between your wife and your Jeep. I'm single so I dont have any expereince with that sort of thing though.

__________________
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10th Anniversary
insylem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 7,379
Tell her you want a motorcycle. The Jeep will look much better after that lol.
Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Perkasie PA
Posts: 37
Wish I could help on this one, but it'll be interesting to see what everyone else has to say. I have my 2 year old and my dogs with me all most all the time and I still wonder if I picked what I wanted over what was better for them. That being said my son and dogs both love the Jeep and can't wait to get in it every time I pick up the keys all three of them are waiting by the front door.
__________________
2014 Hydro Blue Willy Unlimited
Hard Top, Auto, Alpine
5/9/14 Ordered
Delivered 6/20/14
HydroWilly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,088
Images: 5
not sure on the new models. but I walked away from a hit from a semi years ago in my 2000 that totaled the jeep. Might visit here.. and look closer into the ratings to see what the damage was... Vehicle details
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Nerosync's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroWilly View Post
Wish I could help on this one, but it'll be interesting to see what everyone else has to say. I have my 2 year old and my dogs with me all most all the time and I still wonder if I picked what I wanted over what was better for them. That being said my son and dogs both love the Jeep and can't wait to get in it every time I pick up the keys all three of them are waiting by the front door.
Same here, I have 3yr old and 1yr old daughters and they absolutely love riding in my Jeep, as long as their hair is tied back or braided

Doors off with the top off they are nothing but smiles. I just take extra care to ensure their car seats are strapped in both to the seat mounts in the front of the seats and then the additional strap that goes over the top of the seat through the headrest and connects to the backside of the seat at the bottom. They don't even budge.

I stay on surface streets putting through town with them when the doors are off and always have the doors on if we plan to hit a highway or go on a trail ride.
__________________
David - 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Yes it goes anywhere, no you can't drive it!
Nerosync is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 96
Well, the mystique that wranglers aren't safe is hard to overcome for most people. Same as a Jeep's reputation for being a rust bucket. I currently own a 2005 Willys edition TJ, my second jeep in my lifetime so far. I am a state trooper and have investigated numerous crashes with all types of vehicles and I keep a running memory bank of how vehicles hold up. Bottom line, just like kevlar vests, nothing is bullet or crash proof and wranglers hold up very well in crashes due to the steel bumpers and a higher wider "stance". Get what makes you happy and enjoy it for what it is. If I'm going out because some moron that doesn't possess the ability to drive smokes me, you better believe it will be in a Wrangler!
bcsatch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 205
Sorry, we don't buy wranglers for its crash test rating. Motorcycles have dismal crash ratings but people buy them because that is what they want to drive.
There are several first hand reports on this forum of people that have been involved in accidents and came out pretty well, if that helps some.
IMO a wrangler will do better in a front or rear crash than most subcompact hybrids on the market simply due to its larger mass.
Menerdari is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wayne d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 682
As a crash investigator with the sheriffs office I have been to a lot of crashes in my career. Vehicles mangled beyond recognition where the driver walked away. Others with hardly a scratch where the driver is deceased.
No vehicle is completely safe.
I wouldn't base the decision on something like crash test rating. Reason being they not based on what actually happens in a crash. They normally have a vehicle hitting an unmovable object. When in reality both vehicle are absorbing the impact which lessens the damage.
Buy the jeep and put some side armor such as steps (good ones) put the top down and take the wife for a ride. I bet she will like it.
__________________
Best regards from Florida.
Now Pass the Rum!
Wayne,
2014 Anvil JKU
Thanks to all those that have served and are still serving protecting the freedoms we love.
wayne d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: south ga
Posts: 78
This is indeed a touchy subject, however one cannot change the specs to suit your needs. I agree that the point is there are other things we do that are more dangerous and there are things that are very safe and less exciting. One must judge what is more important in ones life.
You could drive the safest car in the world and live in a bubble, but then you would die of boredom.
alsyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
TrailbossNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a house...
Posts: 528
Tough decision: only *you* really know if her decision making process is ruled by genuine concern (though it seems narrow minded and inflexible) or just a plain control freak. My first wife was the latter. Never liked my Jeeps. We fought over my getting Jeep #6 back in 90 or so. Divorced shortly after. More to it then that, but not having control over the decision was a big factor for her. Even though she drove what *she* wanted! Just couldn't leave me to my happiness...lol. First nice day with the top down, she's gonna be wanting those keys though bro!

In the end...*Nothing* is truly safe out there....
__________________
An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
TrailbossNJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
ocd_dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
Tell her you want a motorcycle. The Jeep will look much better after that lol.
I like this approach best....LOL
__________________
2014 Rubicon X - Granite Crystal Metallic
6 Speed - Dual Tops - Auto Climate Control
ocd_dave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
hair2831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 568
My wife used the same argument on me about ten years ago when I wanted to buy a Honda Civic hatchback. Well I still got the car and she got over it. I kept that car for a decade and then got my Jeep. She loves the Jeep. I would try talking to her but ultimately I would still get what I want to drive. She will get over it.
hair2831 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 194
Go to this link
Insurance loss information
and select "midsize" and "SUV".
Jeep has very low "personal injure" rate.
The size and weight help to compensate for poor crash test results.
One thing to consider though is that this statistic is based on number of cars insured, and does not consider mileage driven. This penalizes cars that are commonly used as "fleet" cars and rack up ~30k miles per year.
jannikt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wayne d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 682
My wife actually bought my jeep for me. Went into the dealership because she said I needed a new truck. Ended up taking a test drive in a jku with the top down and that was it. Sold. Now she finds any excuse to put the top down and take a ride to the beach or just for ice cream after a day at work.
__________________
Best regards from Florida.
Now Pass the Rum!
Wayne,
2014 Anvil JKU
Thanks to all those that have served and are still serving protecting the freedoms we love.
wayne d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Pressurized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 775
Tough one... Because there is a fear emotion involved. Even in the smallest situation, it will be there. I think if you proceed, you need to find a way to diminish the fear.

I think the worst part of the Jeep is the door protection, as the front and rear are built to modern specs. I might approach it by adding some rock rails (body armor) and even a steel front and rear bumper... Give it a "hey Honda, if you hit me here, you aren't going to like it" feel. That might make her a bit more comfortable...

My wife says the Jeep feels way safer to her than our Miata. I always say, the difference is the Miata has a much higher chance of avoiding the accident...

Good luck!
__________________
2012 JKU Sahara - COSMOS BLUE - Teraflex Pucks - Hella ECE H4 conv

Stock Tweeter Mod - Infinity 6.5's - RedRock 4x4 Spacers - Rubi Shocks

Spending my kids inheritance, one Jeep part at a time.
Pressurized is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Slowstang305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 472
Send a message via AIM to Slowstang305
Tell her you will put a 4in lift and upgrade the front and rear bumpers for everyone's safety. Think ahead!
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Slowstang305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,284
I think vehicle safety is going to come down to the individual accident and circumstance. I put no stock in crash ratings. There are too many variables on the road to come up with that kind of totally concrete conclusion.

Be in a smart car. It has a great crash rating. Get hit head on by a suburban or semi at highway speed and see who walks away.

Case in point:
Driving home one night early in the morning. I was returning from cedar point I think, and it was about 2am. My friend suddenly grabs the wheel and jerks it. As the car swerves I notice a rather large escalade go by in the lane I was in. It was probably some drunk moron, he was driving the wrong way on the road.

I was going 80mph (speed limit here is 75) and he probably was too. I don't give a damn what I was in. Everyone in both vehicles would have been dead meat.

So think of the variables. speed, mass, location, conditions, etc. Way too many to just slap some sort of hard "rating" on.


The safest vehicle out there is the one with the alert, defensive driver behind the wheel following the traffic laws.
Bent jeep is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wayne d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent jeep View Post
I think vehicle safety is going to come down to the individual accident and circumstance. I put no stock in crash ratings. There are too many variables on the road to come up with that kind of totally concrete conclusion.

Be in a smart car. It has a great crash rating. Get hit head on by a suburban or semi at highway speed and see who walks away.

Case in point:
Driving home one night early in the morning. I was returning from cedar point I think, and it was about 2am. My friend suddenly grabs the wheel and jerks it. As the car swerves I notice a rather large escalade go by in the lane I was in. It was probably some drunk moron, he was driving the wrong way on the road.

I was going 80mph (speed limit here is 75) and he probably was too. I don't give a damn what I was in. Everyone in both vehicles would have been dead meat.

So think of the variables. speed, mass, location, conditions, etc. Way too many to just slap some sort of hard "rating" on.


The safest vehicle out there is the one with the alert, defensive driver behind the wheel following the traffic laws.

Excellent point.
__________________
Best regards from Florida.
Now Pass the Rum!
Wayne,
2014 Anvil JKU
Thanks to all those that have served and are still serving protecting the freedoms we love.
wayne d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Metro Detroit Area
Posts: 156
I disagree WHOLEHEARTEDLY! My wife was plowed into by a Pathfinder (see pics below) Other than being banged up a bit, she walked out. The guy was presumed to be texting and didn't even hit the brakes before the crash. I was so impressed, I went and not only got another one for her, but my daughter's first car will be a wrangler.

The culprit


Our totaled Wrangler







It must be noted that other than the air bags immediately deploying, the interior remained intact!


Now I am no internet blogger, but I am a very happy consumer that thanks the Lord that she was protected by our the Jeep.
Ricanbandit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
That Jeep Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealle View Post
... I'm struggling to find many "pro" Jeep Wrangler reviews or safety stats. Does anyone have some info or a link that might put her at ease. Need some bro help here...
I don't have any statistics or numbers to give you, however were you to be a bit clever, I am sure you can find some statistics that would go against something that she holds strongly to thus minimising the value of any statistics in her eyes to some degree.

You did not mention the reasons you wanted a Jeep; do you plan on wheeling, cruising, or drag racing? Hopefully not the latter; bad choice of vehicle - its too slow and awkward on the road. I mention this because the safety tests are done at speed against other vehicles and concrete walls. Apples and oranges. I wonder what the safety rating of a Prius would be in off camber situations on loose gravel? Maybe explain that to her.

But, practically speaking, if you want her on board beg, borrow, steal, or simply rent a Wrangler and take the family for a fun day at the ________. You can fill in the blank with an activity or location that your family enjoys like Beach, Lake, Forest, Mountain, skiing, hiking, fishing, biking, etc. Maybe take her to a mall or grocery store in it and let her see how much stuff she can cram into it. Let her drive it so she can see how many smiles and how much attention she will attract in it.

Of course, then you could bring up the safety thing again. On the one hand it may no longer be the issue it was in the beginning and on the other hand she will have seen some of the safety benefits of a higher seating position, the excellent visibility (both for the driver and for the Wrangler's own visibility in traffic), the benefits of a true 4 wheel drive system, and you can explain about bumpers and rock sliders and how they will increase the safety of the vehicle. A Prius does not have giant steel girders for a frame or its bumpers, a Prius cannot get out of harms way quickly (it can barely get out of its own way), nobody notices a Prius pulling out in front of them but everybody notices a Wrangler.

So the statistics are correct; if you were on the freeway and got involved in a side collision with a runaway semi travelling 100 mph the side airbags may not be enough but most Wrangler owners would not have been on that highway - the smaller the road and the more uneven the surface the better.

So, my 'bro help' to someone who wants a wrangler against their spouse's wishes would be to get her to want it as much as you.

Besides they are much safer than any of the vehicles that all of us grew up riding in - and we survived. Aren't the driver's skills more important a factor than the vehicle where safety is concerned?


EDIT:
Once again the typing speed of the native English speakers has made my post irrelevant before I can even check my spelling and hit submit.

That Jeep Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
Tell her you want a motorcycle. The Jeep will look much better after that lol.
exactly what I did. Told her I was either buying a Harley or a jeep she chose jeep!!
Chad s is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #23
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
GI-Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 111
As a parent I completely understand her hesitation about getting a vehicle she believes is unsafe. But I would suggest you discuss with her other potentially unsafe things you might expose your children to on a regular basis. Do they ride bikes? Do they ever walk on/near the street? Do they swim? Do they play on playgrounds? Depending on the situation all of these normal childhood activities can result in serious injury or even death.

As parents we are responsible for minimizing risks for our children, but we also must realize it can NEVER be completely eliminated. Sometimes bad things happen, it is simply an unfortunate fact of life. You and your wife should discuss her fears and then look at how likely are they to ever happen. Only then can you make a decision of what is right for all of you.
__________________
'13 Rubi (Flame Red)
GI-Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 22
All I can say that on my 2014 Wrangler window sticker says"Frontal Crash" = Not Rated, "Side Crash" = Not Rated, "Roll Over" = 3 Stars out of 5. Overall Vehicle Score = Not Rated.
Any vehicle that has a hight Profile will flip over in a crash, Hummers, Pickup Trucks, Jeeps etc. I have a Subaru Outback that has one of the best safety crash test. I would never take my Jeep on a long trip, it's mainly for me to hit the trail.
Earl Balentine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6
I had the same concerns. I read many studies and while I can't put my hand on them right now, I recall reading that with cars there is a direct correlation between crash test results and real world crash survivability but with SUVs the connection was very convoluted. There is another very interesting study in which fatalities are compiled over a 5 yr period against vehicle models and wranglers did surprisingly well - and I think it was the insurance institute that published this study. Wranglers are also one of the least expensive vehicles to insure (for a number of reasons). All these arguments support many of the previous comments and sentiment that maybe the crash test results aren't telling the whole story.
Darndog is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by insylem View Post
Touchy subject here.. I'd hold off a while. While your wife may concede, she may still use it against you in the future. Id hate for you to have to choose between your wife and your Jeep. I'm single so I dont have any expereince with that sort of thing though.
She didn't present the "ultimatum." Our marraige wouldn't come to an end over this one descision, but it could certainly cause friction that I don't want to deal with. I also don't want to hear "I told you so" later down the road. Bottom line is, I think it's irrational thinking on her part. However, I do respect my wife and I want her to feel more comfortable about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
Tell her you want a motorcycle. The Jeep will look much better after that lol.
Lol, I already did that. I took a motorcycle safety course and wanted to buy a motorcycle. I struck out on that one. However, that was a combination of safety and not really in a position at the time to be spending that kind of money (wanted a new Harley) on a "toy". I wouldn't want to put my kids on a motorcycle until I was much more experienced and they are little bigger anyway, but I did remind her that this is a much safer alternative than a motorcycle while still getting some wind in my hair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsatch View Post
Well, the mystique that wranglers aren't safe is hard to overcome for most people. Same as a Jeep's reputation for being a rust bucket. I currently own a 2005 Willys edition TJ, my second jeep in my lifetime so far. I am a state trooper and have investigated numerous crashes with all types of vehicles and I keep a running memory bank of how vehicles hold up. Bottom line, just like kevlar vests, nothing is bullet or crash proof and wranglers hold up very well in crashes due to the steel bumpers and a higher wider "stance". Get what makes you happy and enjoy it for what it is. If I'm going out because some moron that doesn't possess the ability to drive smokes me, you better believe it will be in a Wrangler!
Nice info coming from a state trooper. Thanks! I'll get this round...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menerdari View Post
IMO a wrangler will do better in a front or rear crash than most subcompact hybrids on the market simply due to its larger mass.
Sure, this was part of my argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne d View Post
As a crash investigator with the sheriffs office I have been to a lot of crashes in my career. Vehicles mangled beyond recognition where the driver walked away. Others with hardly a scratch where the driver is deceased.
No vehicle is completely safe.
I wouldn't base the decision on something like crash test rating. Reason being they not based on what actually happens in a crash. They normally have a vehicle hitting an unmovable object. When in reality both vehicle are absorbing the impact which lessens the damage.
Buy the jeep and put some side armor such as steps (good ones) put the top down and take the wife for a ride. I bet she will like it.
Ahh! Nice info coming from a crash investigator. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsyj View Post
This is indeed a touchy subject, however one cannot change the specs to suit your needs. I agree that the point is there are other things we do that are more dangerous and there are things that are very safe and less exciting. One must judge what is more important in ones life.
You could drive the safest car in the world and live in a bubble, but then you would die of boredom.
Sounds like me talking. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailbossNJ View Post
Tough decision: only *you* really know if her decision making process is ruled by genuine concern (though it seems narrow minded and inflexible) or just a plain control freak. My first wife was the latter. Never liked my Jeeps. We fought over my getting Jeep #6 back in 90 or so. Divorced shortly after. More to it then that, but not having control over the decision was a big factor for her. Even though she drove what *she* wanted! Just couldn't leave me to my happiness...lol. First nice day with the top down, she's gonna be wanting those keys though bro!

In the end...*Nothing* is truly safe out there....
I think it's a combination of both. I think it's 80% concern and 20% wanting her say so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hair2831 View Post
My wife used the same argument on me about ten years ago when I wanted to buy a Honda Civic hatchback. Well I still got the car and she got over it. I kept that car for a decade and then got my Jeep. She loves the Jeep. I would try talking to her but ultimately I would still get what I want to drive. She will get over it.
"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission," lol. In the end, yes, she will get over it. I just really hope she will loosen up and enjoy it a little.
stealle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mpls Minnesota
Posts: 214
Insurance premiums are a big indicator of personal safety. My 2012 focus valued at 16k at the time I got my 2014 JKU rubicon X cost more to insure than my rubicon which was worth over 30K more.
__________________
2014 Anvil JKURX
DiscDog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Big Dawg_270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealle View Post
Yep, that's what my wife says. I'm looking to buy a new wrangler. I owned a new '97 Wrangler for 3 years. I've missed it ever since I sold it. I have two daughters; 8 and 10 years old. My wife doesn't want me to get a Wrangler. She doesn't think they are safe vehicles. She managed to do her own "research" and came up with this: 2014 Jeep Wrangler Safety | U.S. News Best Cars

She says she doesn't like the words "marginal" and "poor" when it comes to safety. I told her in all honestly, in a major accident, I'd rather be in my Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab or her Honda Pilot, but I'd rather be in a Jeep Wrangler than something like a Chevy Volt or Toyota Prius. I also explained that with things like front and side airbags these wranglers are much more safe than they use to be and probably more safe than many vehicles prior to the 90s. I explained that we take risks everyday... everytime I take my girls to the waterpark, etc. I reassured her that my girls are the most important thing in the world to me and I'm a safe driver. Looooong story short, my wife said she "concedes." So, I get my Wrangler, right? Wooohooo!!! Well, I don't really feel like I can celebrate. I'm struggling to find many "pro" Jeep Wrangler reviews or safety stats. Does anyone have some info or a link that might put her at ease. Need some bro help here...


The good thing is your wife has the Honda Pilot for her and the kids the majority of the time I'm sure. I'm in the same boat, my wife and my kids mostly drive around in the Armada which has a ridiculous amount of safety features compared to my '91 YJ. I do take my daughter to school everyday, she is 7 years old and the speed limit is around 25mph to 35 mph. Stay constantly alert at all times on the road and drive as safe as possible. When your taking your family on a family outing just be as careful and alert as possible and watch out for the idiots that make the road dangerous. I was insurance agent for years and I believe all vehicles are dangerous heavy machines. Respect the vehicle, respect the road/trail and always drive like everything you own and love is in your passenger seat.
__________________
'91 YJ Renegade I6 - 4.0L 3" Lift 33x1250x15

'12 Nissan Armada Platinum V8 - 5.6L 317hp

'86 CJ-7 - I6 4.2L , I miss it
Big Dawg_270 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #29
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 10
Wow!!! I must be the worst husband/father in the world because my wife is the one that drives our 14' Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that has 3.5" lift and is taking our three kiddos all over the place to their activities.
coloradomtnjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #30
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,713
Images: 1
All I can tell you is that my wife was a former crash investigator for many years and we have, among other vehicles, 2 wranglers and a Mini Cooper. Tell her my wife highly recommends that you get the JK, side air bags of course. Most issues are the result of the individual behind the wheel. Safe drivers will have a better result. But, in the instance when the situation is beyond your control a Wrangler is as safe a vehicle as you can be in other than maybe a cement truck. Physics usually always wins.

kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC