wrong t-case in 12 rubicon! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
PA ARCTIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 620
wrong t-case in 12 rubicon!

interesting read...
Wrong TCase in my 2012 Rubicon

__________________
2012 ARCTIC/2-DOOR
BRIGHT SILVER
BORN 10/11
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
PA ARCTIC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,295
Saw that last night.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
If it wasn't for the fact that it's a screw up and the Jeep's computer disabled the vehicle, I'd actually almost prefer that. 4:1 is crazy low, especially if you've already got 4.10 gears.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Ballandchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,047
Images: 2
Of that where mine I would have then build me a completely new Jeep. Once something has been swapped out, it's never quite the same as a factory installation/ build ....
__________________
Current:2012 Dozer Sahara Past: 97 4banger x2, 2001 Sport heavily modified, 08 Rubicon. "I'm glad that I'm not like most people. That's because I think most people are stupid." -Me
Ballandchain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 196
Looks like quality control in Jeep plants hasn't improved much from Chrysler "standards". Mismatched body parts, now a wrong transfer case, ... Looks like somebody drinks too much beer at work.
jannikt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 24
It's a shame the guys making these things don't take as much pride in the fact that they're Made In America as we do.
dronezero is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballandchain View Post
Of that where mine I would have then build me a completely new Jeep. Once something has been swapped out, it's never quite the same as a factory installation/ build ....
Nah, they just bolt on to the transmission, real simple to unbolt and replace. No alignment or fitment issues on the tcase or driveshaft.
__________________
'14 Anvil JKUR (sold the '12 at 52K miles)
'13 unlimited stripped sport (red one)
'13 JKU sport (blue one)
'10 Unlimited sport (other red one)
'08 Unlimited X (green one)
3JKs1H1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dronezero View Post
It's a shame the guys making these things don't take as much pride in the fact that they're Made In America as we do.
That's because they're made in Mexico...transfer cases that is. But I believe everything is assembled in the U.S.
__________________



river2c is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Rooster76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 818
Angry I might be screwed. Opinions please

MY POST COPIED FROM THAT OTHER FORUM LINK
This is a picture of my transfer case that is facing the rear

I just got a 2012 JK Rubicon Manual 6-Speed on 3-28-2012 like 3 days ago. I just took it out into the grass and woods for the first time to see how the 4WD worked. I put it in 4 HI and didn't test it all that much but it worked. It was really stiff getting it in and I was afraid I was going to bust that plastic thing off. Then I put it in 4-LOW (with the clutch down of course) and drove like less than a quarter of a mile. Realized while driving through my woods that it was 1:30 AM and I was shining my lights into my neighbors house so I decided to come back in. I was just sort of driving it like a tractor with all clutch and no break or gas. I got in some grass and it just stopped crawling. The engine kept running but it wouldn't move. I decided to restart it even though I knew it wasn't stalled. It still wouldn't work. I reved the engine and the RPM's went up but didn't go anywhere. It had rained a bit so maybe I was spinning my tires but I don't think so. I put it into 4 HI and it worked. I didn't drive it very far after that so it didn't get much of a test. Like maybe 50 feet. Then I parked it. I checked this thread and checked my transfer case. You can tell on the bottom it says 4.00 and the red lettering says RATIO. The Rock-Trac Transfer case is advertised everywhere as 4.10 so I think I might have a wrong case. What do you guys think? Do they use 4.00 on some other Jeep model?

I'm super noob to Jeeps so maybe I was doing something wrong?
__________________
2012 JKR 2DR 6-Speed
Rooster76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
tjt94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: El Centro, CA
Posts: 438
Maybe it isn't the wrong transfer case in a Rubicon but the wrong stickers on a Sport.
tjt94 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt94 View Post
Maybe it isn't the wrong transfer case in a Rubicon but the wrong stickers on a Sport.
someone at the factory has a good sense of humor.

what's the deal with this? i just ordered my Rubi on 3/24...got me all "puckered" and paranoid..
JKRuby12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 180
Sorry. It sounds like the Person with the "issue" has no knowledge of anything. I'd wager no issue Other than owner ignorance
Jurhip is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scappoose
Posts: 10,682
Is anyone gonna tell the poor guy?
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
I would have then build me a completely new Jeep
CleopatraFey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Rooster76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 818
So maybe I'm just paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster76 View Post
MY POST COPIED FROM THAT OTHER FORUM LINK
This is a picture of my transfer case that is facing the rear

I just got a 2012 JK Rubicon Manual 6-Speed on 3-28-2012 like 3 days ago. I just took it out into the grass and woods for the first time to see how the 4WD worked. I put it in 4 HI and didn't test it all that much but it worked. It was really stiff getting it in and I was afraid I was going to bust that plastic thing off. Then I put it in 4-LOW (with the clutch down of course) and drove like less than a quarter of a mile. Realized while driving through my woods that it was 1:30 AM and I was shining my lights into my neighbors house so I decided to come back in. I was just sort of driving it like a tractor with all clutch and no break or gas. I got in some grass and it just stopped crawling. The engine kept running but it wouldn't move. I decided to restart it even though I knew it wasn't stalled. It still wouldn't work. I reved the engine and the RPM's went up but didn't go anywhere. It had rained a bit so maybe I was spinning my tires but I don't think so. I put it into 4 HI and it worked. I didn't drive it very far after that so it didn't get much of a test. Like maybe 50 feet. Then I parked it. I checked this thread and checked my transfer case. You can tell on the bottom it says 4.00 and the red lettering says RATIO. The Rock-Trac Transfer case is advertised everywhere as 4.10 so I think I might have a wrong case. What do you guys think? Do they use 4.00 on some other Jeep model?

I'm super noob to Jeeps so maybe I was doing something wrong?
Alright I'm thinking it is the right one being a RATIO of 4.00:1 or as I have seen it 4:1 which I think threw me off. I guess I will play with it more tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.
__________________
2012 JKR 2DR 6-Speed
Rooster76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannikt View Post
Looks like quality control in Jeep plants hasn't improved much from Chrysler "standards". Mismatched body parts, now a wrong transfer case, ... Looks like somebody drinks too much beer at work.
So in the end it's right one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dronezero View Post
It's a shame the guys making these things don't take as much pride in the fact that they're Made In America as we do.

You should look a few of them up and call them, they are CRAZY in love and take more pride in this vehicle than any of the dozens of plants I've visited.
Mistakes happen, it sounds like it was the right one after all, but these guys/gals are MORE than prideful it's built in not only America, but proud it's built in Ohio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster76 View Post
Alright I'm thinking it is the right one being a RATIO of 4.00:1 or as I have seen it 4:1 which I think threw me off. I guess I will play with it more tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.
iNtErNeT_rYaN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
GreenRubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by river2c View Post
That's because they're made in Mexico...transfer cases that is. But I believe everything is assembled in the U.S.

Must be something recent. The transfer case on my 2008 says made in Syracuse, NY.
__________________
2008 Natural Green JK Rubicon
GreenRubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,966
Now I'm gonna go check my 2012 Sahara and see if I have a 4.1
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
BigManAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRubi View Post
Must be something recent. The transfer case on my 2008 says made in Syracuse, NY.
Ah nice, made at the New Process Gear plant. Unfortunately that one is slowly closing down.

BigManAndy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Shipping in April from TeraFlex! Axles included! TeraFlex Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 9 04-13-2012 02:47 PM
I need help finding a specific location. Somewhere in between Dahlonaga and Suches. Mattiday Georgia Jeep Forum 6 04-08-2012 03:05 AM
Southern CA, Rubicon Convoy pluke the 2 California Jeep Forum 3 04-03-2012 12:52 AM
My new '12 JKU (used to be) Sahara *pics* JK NotLimited JK General Discussion Forum 22 03-31-2012 08:31 AM
Why buy automatic in a Jeep? gohard JK General Discussion Forum 182 03-30-2012 06:11 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC