Xtreme 4X4 RIPP vs HEMI Supercharged JK Part 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


View Poll Results: HEMI or RIPP Supercharger
5.7 HEMI beats RIPP Supercharger 21 30.43%
RIPP Supercharger beats 5.7 HEMI 18 26.09%
Based on results I'd buy a Hemi 10 14.49%
Based on results I'd buy a RIPP Supercharger 34 49.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Sponsoring Vendor
 
RIPPMODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 264
Xtreme 4X4 RIPP vs HEMI Supercharged JK Part 3

This weekend - set your DVR's

SPIKE TV
  • Saturday 2/26/11 10am EST
  • Sunday 2/27/11 11am EST


Supercharged JK Part 3
(XT2011-04)

"Our stock JK is Xtreme worthy after we add body protection, speed sensor mod, snorkel and more. Then we'll see just how close a supercharger can come to the performance numbers of a 5.7ltr Hemi mod, when we put both on the dyno!"


RIPPMODS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
What's the gas mileage like after a RIPP supercharger install? I'd expect it actually gets a little better, but I'm curious if you have any idea of by how much. Even anecdotally based on driving some of RIPP's supercharged JKs.

MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 147
The show is not showing on my guide for this weekend. I just went online to set the recording.
richie894 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
It is showing on mine for 10am est sat and sun. Not showing 11am sun but rather 10am. Got record set. Don't see must stock left on it though lol
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Sponsoring Vendor
 
RIPPMODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 264
10mins boys
RIPPMODS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
j33pZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 349
I watched the first two episodes, pretty good stuff going on there in the shop...
__________________
"Save the plates for the supper table, I got a Skid Bar"
j33pZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Don't suppose anyone would care to summarize the results? I've got a house full of toddlers and no DVR . . .
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 147
HEMI
Cost $21,000
Max Power = 213.82 hp
Max Torque = 250.98

RIPP SUPERCHARGER
Cost $6000
Max Power = 223.02 hp
Max Torque = 227.97
richie894 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie894
HEMI
Cost $21,000
Max Power = 213.82 hp
Max Torque = 250.98

RIPP SUPERCHARGER
Cost $6000
Max Power = 223.02 hp
Max Torque = 227.97
Holy crap--that's a lot closer than I thought. No wonder Hans is so happy. Downside for the Hemi is obviously cost, any critiques of the supercharger? Bang for the buck looks hard to beat.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 128
Missed taping it. Will the video be posted on the web or will it play again (when)?

Thanks
MCoppage is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
I will be watching this episode here in about an hour. I like options so I'm glad the ripp is out there and I would probably go that route before I did a hemi swap but I came from the hemi world before I got into the jeep thing and I can tell you without a doubt that those numbers for the hemi are low.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSRT
. . . I can tell you without a doubt that those numbers for the hemi are low.
True . . .

Though I think they're at the wheels rather than at the crankshaft, so they might not be.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH

True . . .

Though I think they're at the wheels rather than at the crankshaft, so they might not be.
Believe me I know those are wheel hp numbers. That gives a parasitic drivetrain loss of about 40 percent for the hemi. I don't buy that. I'm not sure if they use the 5 speed auto for the hemi swap since I have not seen the episode. If they did then drivetrain loss would not be a constant due to the different transmission. However if you were to carry over the same drivetrain loss to the ripp with pre install Chrysler numbers then the ripp would be more than doubling the output of the 3.8.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
Sponsoring Vendor
 
RIPPMODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSRT View Post
Believe me I know those are wheel hp numbers. That gives a parasitic drivetrain loss of about 40 percent for the hemi. I don't buy that. I'm not sure if they use the 5 speed auto for the hemi swap since I have not seen the episode. If they did then drivetrain loss would not be a constant due to the different transmission. However if you were to carry over the same drivetrain loss to the ripp with pre install Chrysler numbers then the ripp would be more than doubling the output of the 3.8.
Beleive us - there is a 33% drive train loss in a JK - We've had more JK's on a DYNO than there have been JK's on DYNO's...

RIPPMODS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS

Beleive us - there is a 33% drive train loss in a JK - We've had more JK's on a DYNO than there have been JK's on DYNO's...

That is great but what your numbers show is that you have doubled output on the 3.8. Well done if true. I still think the hemi hp numbers are low. I like the weight savings of the f/i. I would like to see pre and post install dyno results from a third party to be fair. Even then dyno results are so easily skewed. Either way thanks for bringing your product to the table.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
WELCOME TO WF



wish I had 6K laying around
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
j33pZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 349
Now that I have seen all three episodes, I think that the Jeep they have built is pretty sweet. My Jeep is the same exact Jeep only a 2011. It did hurt my feelings (not really) when the blonde spikey-haired guy kept cracking on the factory parts. I kept thinking... "Man, did I just buy a cheap P.O.S.?"
I do wish I had the dough to make some of those changes, though. I think the supercharger would be a nice addition.
As far as to the similarites/differences between the Hemi and the supercharger, I dont really care. I don't know that I will ever have $21,000 for a motor. But who knows?

Maybe next year they can do the same show only with the pentastar motor!
__________________
"Save the plates for the supper table, I got a Skid Bar"
j33pZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSRT
Either way thanks for bringing your product to the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight
wish I had 6K laying around
Yeah, almost no matter what the bang-for-buck factor is hard to beat. A Hemi costs 4 times as much. I wonder how hard it is on the engine and drivetrain generally, what kind of failures you'll see down the line, how far down the line they'll be, etc.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH

Yeah, almost no matter what the bang-for-buck factor is hard to beat. A Hemi costs 4 times as much. I wonder how hard it is on the engine and drivetrain generally, what kind of failures you'll see down the line, how far down the line they'll be, etc.
Initial cost is a real plus. I know little of the internals of the 3.8 but one has to wonder the life expectancy post F/I. The lifespan will decrease but by how much. Also remember the numbers they posted up were coupled with a full exhaust and a "hot" tune. Like I said before, the numbers are great if true but how far are you pushing the 3.8.

The hemi as tested is a stock engine that should last if taken care of and can be modified to the hilt. I'm also pretty sure if you were resourceful enough you could do a Hemi swap for far less than 21k. I was also not aware that the hemi swaps had locked computers. Is that something AEV does? Major deal breaker if so. No such thing as a good one size fits all tune.

My eyes and ears are fully open and watching what unfolds with the ripp jk program.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Another issue that would concern me would be the impact on a used engine. The 3.8 is off into the sunset next year, meaning soon the only customers will all be used engines.

What happens to a 3.8 with 30k, 40k, or 50k miles that gets supercharged? Realistically, if this was ever going to be an option for me, it's going to be a ways off, so that's the boat I'd be in.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH
Another issue that would concern me would be the impact on a used engine. The 3.8 is off into the sunset next year, meaning soon the only customers will all be used engines.

What happens to a 3.8 with 30k, 40k, or 50k miles that gets supercharged? Realistically, if this was ever going to be an option for me, it's going to be a ways off.
Honestly I would rather have another gear in the tranny than more power. My 3.8 powered GC is way nicer on the highway compared to the rubicon.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
jeepjerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 57
Would it really cost you $21,000 to do a hemi swap??
__________________
05 Unlimited locked front and rear 5.5" on 35"s, 76 CJ-5 on 35"s, 77 J-20 on 33"s, 81 Wagoneer on 33"s.
jeepjerry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #23
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjerry
Would it really cost you $21,000 to do a hemi swap??
Turnkey conversions from these guys start at $21k, yes. (http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/)
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
Sponsoring Vendor
 
RIPPMODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSRT View Post
That is great but what your numbers show is that you have doubled output on the 3.8. Well done if true. I still think the hemi hp numbers are low. I like the weight savings of the f/i. I would like to see pre and post install dyno results from a third party to be fair. Even then dyno results are so easily skewed. Either way thanks for bringing your product to the table.
We are not a new company - we are just new to this forum (respectfully). This is not a new product - we've sold 200 of the GEN2 kits seen here and 400 of our GEN1's

The power of the HEMI is spot on - they run HOT in JK's - and they're not race engine - lastly they are tuned for 87 octane - and the tunes are locked solid.

When you say if it were true, your taking a position and questioning our integrity... what would you like to see?

Hans' truck before and after
Independent test by TV Show
Race Proven

This is a RIPP Powered JK with a stock Engine racing a V8 Buggy


This is our shop JK with 30k supercharged miles


This is our test mule with 60k supercharged miles, which has driven from NYC to Vegas to Utah - wheeled like this and driven back to NYC. After which it was sold to a gentleman in Tennessee and is being driven daily.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSRT View Post
Honestly I would rather have another gear in the tranny than more power. My 3.8 powered GC is way nicer on the highway compared to the rubicon.
We agree we did testing - on a TC for engine loads and reference


DYNO tests prove only a 19% drive train loss in the TC as opposed to the 33% loss in the JK
RIPPMODS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #25
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Two questions:

Do you recommend beefing up any other components to handle the power? Brakes maybe? The clutch on a manual transmission? That's a whole lot more juice going through the same components.

Also, do the kits need to be professionally installed? The 4x4 video you posted a few days ago made it look like something people could do themselves with a little initiative.

I don't think anyone is questioning your integrity by the way. Just asking questions about the product.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
jeepjerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
Turnkey conversions from these guys start at $21k, yes. (Burnsville OffRoad - Home)
I guess so. I would take 10 trips to a junkyard myself to spend a lot less. I hemi swap is something i would like to do to my 05 Unlimited in the future.
__________________
05 Unlimited locked front and rear 5.5" on 35"s, 76 CJ-5 on 35"s, 77 J-20 on 33"s, 81 Wagoneer on 33"s.
jeepjerry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
patorz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post

The power of the HEMI is spot on - they run HOT in JK's - and they're not race engine - lastly they are tuned for 87 octane - and the tunes are locked solid.
So how come the drive train loss is so hi on your JK HEMI
the 5.7l vvt hemi is 405hp minus 33% power loss is 272hp at the wheels.... I don't think the power loss is that high, with the V8 tranny. I have seen higher numbers on stock dodge rams. I also wanted to know what you ment by tunes are locked? Can't any of the hand held tuners do something for a tune?
patorz31 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 01:14 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
patorz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Posts: 44
Really want to do an impartial review let's get one of Dan's (Burnsville) hemi conversions from him and his team and put it up against Ripp's SC JK and their team. I bet the dyno numbers are way different.
patorz31 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31
So how come the drive train loss is so hi on your JK HEMI
the 5.7l vvt hemi is 405hp minus 33% power loss is 272hp at the wheels.... I don't think the power loss is that high, with the V8 tranny. I have seen higher numbers on stock dodge rams. I also wanted to know what you ment by tunes are locked? Can't any of the hand held tuners do something for a tune?
I was not aware that a vvt hemi was used. That makes the numbers seem even more strange. I started dealing with the first gen modern hemi in 4x4 pickups and they generally would dyno in the 250 range.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS

We are not a new company - we are just new to this forum (respectfully). This is not a new product - we've sold 200 of the GEN2 kits seen here and 400 of our GEN1's

The power of the HEMI is spot on - they run HOT in JK's - and they're not race engine - lastly they are tuned for 87 octane - and the tunes are locked solid.

When you say if it were true, your taking a position and questioning our integrity... what would you like to see?

Hans' truck before and after
Independent test by TV Show
Race Proven

This is a RIPP Powered JK with a stock Engine racing a V8 Buggy



This is our shop JK with 30k supercharged miles



This is our test mule with 60k supercharged miles, which has driven from NYC to Vegas to Utah - wheeled like this and driven back to NYC. After which it was sold to a gentleman in Tennessee and is being driven daily.



We agree we did testing - on a TC for engine loads and reference


DYNO tests prove only a 19% drive train loss in the TC as opposed to the 33% loss in the JK
I'm not trying to question your integrity but I take everything I see on the power block with a grain of salt. Even more so after watching this episode. You had Joe Blow with a hemi that he paid for vs a SC 3.8 with the selling vendor doing in house tuning. Not really a fair fight. This is another area of concern. It was stated that a hot tune was being run. At what cost to reliability? Doubling the power in any engine is rarely as easy as bolting on a supercharger. That brings me to the full picture. So often in the performance game some vendor will post up about their product and the numbers that said products can attain. They often forget to mention the big money they put into long tubes and full exhausts, intakes and tuning time. This is very common with heads and cam packages. I know from dealing with the hemi in all it's variations that the additional "supporting" mods can total in the thousands.

If the hemi conversion kits use locked comps then that is a crap deal. What about tuning for future upgrades? Sounds strange to me.

Once again I don't doubt your companies ability to SC these engines or that your building good power but doubling output with no internal mods strikes me as odd. I'm not a big YouTube guy. I would very much appreciate if you could share some of the finer points of your system and some of the things you have learned developing for the JK.

Thanks

ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rattle Can Paint Tips rkwfxd General Jeep Discussion 2 12-27-2008 09:36 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC