Yet ANOTHER exhaust thread - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
tomgillotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
Red face Yet ANOTHER exhaust thread

So, first let me apologize for doing it again. I know there are a bunch of threads out there for exhausts and I've watched videos until I'm blue in the face. I felt as though I needed to enlist the services of WranglerForum one more time to get some input.

<---If you want to do this, I understand!

My criteria: Inexpensive, bolt on (as in I can do it with minimal tools; e.g. no welding), won't negatively effect ground clearance, gives Jeep a deep, low rumble.

What I think is my best option right now: DynoMax 39522 Ultra Flow

If anyone has any other videos I may not have already seen on YouTube, please share. This looks like a pretty solid option for a decent price (especially with the rebate offer they have going on right now).

tomgillotti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
geauxwillett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 178
I've got the aFe Mach force XP and like it a lot. As far as installation, it was pretty simple on my 07. The only things I had a problem with was the front most stock clamp and some of the hangers. Because of the positioning of the bolt in that clamp, I used a sawzall to just cut the clamp off. The hangers were a little tough, but a spray lube and some elbow grease got it done. Just follow the instructions and remember to position everything before bolting down.

__________________
My Jeep Build

“What a day for trampin’ through the woods … lump dum do di do do doh, doo dah, doo dah” - Foghorn Leghorn
geauxwillett is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
SETI1x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 236
Tom I have the Dynomax Evo Comp. The same one you are showing. I love it (the wife hates it. She likes quiet). Even though there is low drone its not overbearing and doesn't sound like glasspacs when you throttle down. Plus I got tired of always pinching my tailpipe while rock crawling. This is one of my favorite add one.
__________________
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
~Jimmy Buffett
SETI1x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
TheLastCenturian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tennesse
Posts: 235
What year jeeps do all of you guys have
TheLastCenturian is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Jeep Bum

WF Supporting Member
 
flyfishnevada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Smith, Nevada
Posts: 1,723
I have a Dynomax 17345 on my TJ that got in 2012 with a killer rebate. Other than having to cut the rusty pipe off the muffler and play tetris with the catback to thread it into place without resorting to lowering the axle, it was easy. Nice rumble and I swear I have more power in 5th gear up hills. That's a TJ though. On a JK, YMMV.
__________________
Dan - 2014 White Rubicon Unlimited - My Build Thread
Teraflex 2.5 lift - Rancho 9000XLs - Rancho CA Brackets - 285/70/17 Fierce Attitudes - Black Rock 909 Wheels -
JCR Offroad Mauler Front Bumper - A.C.E. Rock Sliders - Warn XD9000i - Pioneer DVD Receiver - Quadratec LED Headlights - Spiderweb Shade - Cobra 75WXST CB Radio - Trek Armor Seat Covers
flyfishnevada is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
tomgillotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
Sorry, forgot to post it. This is for my 2013 JKUR
tomgillotti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
andysvette1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 190
I just went through same process. My first choice was the magnaflow/Dynomax before axil drop. After hours and hours I decided to go with the Dynomax 39524. I decided that in northern WI it's not the best to have the exhaust dump out under the jeep. Some say it causes premature rusting.
andysvette1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
Sponsoring Vendor
 
DynoMax Exhaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 225
Don't forget about this too!

Performance & Sound Guarantee

We challenge you to try our DynoMax® performance mufflers* risk-free for 90 days - if our products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back.


It's about a 6 or so out of 10 on "noise" I run the system on my 2013 JKU that exits out the back, the "rock crawler" system and love it. I can hear but once I get off the gas nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgillotti View Post
So, first let me apologize for doing it again. I know there are a bunch of threads out there for exhausts and I've watched videos until I'm blue in the face. I felt as though I needed to enlist the services of WranglerForum one more time to get some input.

<---If you want to do this, I understand!

My criteria: Inexpensive, bolt on (as in I can do it with minimal tools; e.g. no welding), won't negatively effect ground clearance, gives Jeep a deep, low rumble.

What I think is my best option right now: DynoMax 39522 Ultra Flow

If anyone has any other videos I may not have already seen on YouTube, please share. This looks like a pretty solid option for a decent price (especially with the rebate offer they have going on right now).
__________________



www.dynomax.com
DynoMax Exhaust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
tomgillotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoMax Exhaust View Post
Don't forget about this too!

Performance & Sound Guarantee

We challenge you to try our DynoMax® performance mufflers* risk-free for 90 days - if our products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back.


It's about a 6 or so out of 10 on "noise" I run the system on my 2013 JKU that exits out the back, the "rock crawler" system and love it. I can hear but once I get off the gas nothing.
Is that system completely bolt on? How is the clearance on it? Pics?
tomgillotti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #10
Sponsoring Vendor
 
DynoMax Exhaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 225
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgillotti View Post
Is that system completely bolt on? How is the clearance on it? Pics?
Yep bolt on.





__________________



www.dynomax.com
DynoMax Exhaust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
hair2831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 593
Removing the stock muffler is a royal pain in the ass. Be ready for that! I suggest lubing up the hangers with WD40 or something similar and have a pry bar on hand. That was the hardest thing about replacing the exhaust on my '12, and it was new! BTW, I have a Gibson (not the MM), and I love it.
hair2831 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
tomgillotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by hair2831 View Post
Removing the stock muffler is a royal pain in the ass. Be ready for that! I suggest lubing up the hangers with WD40 or something similar and have a pry bar on hand. That was the hardest thing about replacing the exhaust on my '12, and it was new! BTW, I have a Gibson (not the MM), and I love it.
What was the cost of the Gibson? How would you describe the sound?
tomgillotti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
hair2831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 593
I think I paid like $270 on Amazon. I think it sounds great! I watched a lot of Youtube videos and thought the Gibson sounded the best. It doesn't pop or sound raspy at all, and I don't think it drones. It does have a nice deep sound inside the cab when you have the top down. With the top up and doors on, you can hear it but it's not obnoxious or very loud at all, you just know you have an exhaust. It sounds good and looks good! It's the dual exhaust with the polished tips. I didn't get the metal mulisha exhaust with the huge grapefruit shooters for tips.
hair2831 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
hair2831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 593
This is the clip that sold me on the Gibson. Sounds just like that in person.
hair2831 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
tomgillotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
I really like the sound of the Gibson... how's the clearance? That's the thing I like about the DynoMax is that it doesn't get in the way in the back...
tomgillotti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
tomgillotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
For Comparison, here is the DynoMax video... it's in a enclosed space, so it's hard to tell what it would be like in open air. Sounds really nice, though.

tomgillotti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
hair2831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 593
The Gibson is a lot smaller than the stock muffler but is still tucked up in the rear. If you want the ultimate clearance, get a muffler that tucks up above the rear axle and exits there.
hair2831 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
Sponsoring Vendor
 
DynoMax Exhaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgillotti View Post
For Comparison, here is the DynoMax video... it's in a enclosed space, so it's hard to tell what it would be like in open air. Sounds really nice, though.

Man I just posted that video yesterday, fast find. Just a heads up, this is the system that exits all the way out back.
We are working on more sound clips too.
__________________



www.dynomax.com
DynoMax Exhaust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #19
Sponsoring Vendor
 
DynoMax Exhaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 225
A couple clips of the system that dumps pre-axle. The DynoMax Evolution Competition System, P/N 39522.

Project-JK 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler DynoMax Evolution Competition Exhaust System Sound Clips - YouTube

DynoMax Performance Exhaust system P/N 39522 Evolution Competition System - YouTube
__________________



www.dynomax.com
DynoMax Exhaust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
tomgillotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
I think I like the sound of the full system that goes all the way back.
tomgillotti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
Sponsoring Vendor
 
DynoMax Exhaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgillotti View Post
I think I like the sound of the full system that goes all the way back.

That's what I have and love it. I drove 18+ hours to go to the King of the Hammers and I could hear the system when I was going over passes but just cruising very chill.
__________________



www.dynomax.com
DynoMax Exhaust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #22
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
loud pipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 376
sub'd!
__________________
2012 Call of Duty MW3 #1627/3500
2006 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
2007 Harley Street Glide
loud pipes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
ocd_dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 805
Is there a direct OEM style (routed/sound/look/No clamps) fully stainless steel catback exhaust replacement for the Jeep? I am assuming the stock one is a rust magnet in a few years.
__________________
2014 Rubicon X - Granite Crystal Metallic
6 Speed - Dual Tops - Auto Climate Control
ocd_dave is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
tomgillotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
Close to pulling the trigger on the 39523...
tomgillotti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #25
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
dalearyous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,002
i think dynomax sounds amazing, and for the price. i don't like the exhaust tips sticking out under the rear bumper. one let down off a rock and CRUNCH. dynomax is $180 on amazon and it sounds great.
__________________
JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" RR Satin Black][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][aFe 3" Hi-Tuck RB exhaust]
Build Thread
dalearyous is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #26
Sponsoring Vendor
 
DynoMax Exhaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 225
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalearyous View Post
i think dynomax sounds amazing, and for the price. i don't like the exhaust tips sticking out under the rear bumper. one let down off a rock and CRUNCH. dynomax is $180 on amazon and it sounds great.
Been there....


__________________



www.dynomax.com
DynoMax Exhaust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #27
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
dalearyous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,002
while i got the dynomax people here, if you are sitting on the trails, with the exhaust dumping where it is under there, do you notice any extra fumes as the drive or passenger? i can't imagine you would but still curious. sometimes you will sit for several minutes or an hour in one area watching or helping or recovering and i would hate to get the exhaust headache.
__________________
JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" RR Satin Black][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][aFe 3" Hi-Tuck RB exhaust]
Build Thread
dalearyous is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #28
Sponsoring Vendor
 
DynoMax Exhaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalearyous View Post
while i got the dynomax people here, if you are sitting on the trails, with the exhaust dumping where it is under there, do you notice any extra fumes as the drive or passenger? i can't imagine you would but still curious. sometimes you will sit for several minutes or an hour in one area watching or helping or recovering and i would hate to get the exhaust headache.
Not really, but if you are sitting for a long period. Turn it off.
__________________



www.dynomax.com
DynoMax Exhaust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
tomgillotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
Hey DynoMax, the folks from Morris 4x4 center were supposed to get a hold of you to see when they would be getting more 39523's from you because they're out of stock. Still waiting to hear back from them... any oversight on that?
tomgillotti is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #30
Sponsoring Vendor
 
DynoMax Exhaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgillotti View Post
Hey DynoMax, the folks from Morris 4x4 center were supposed to get a hold of you to see when they would be getting more 39523's from you because they're out of stock. Still waiting to hear back from them... any oversight on that?
Let me find out from our end... hopefully hear back today.

__________________



www.dynomax.com
DynoMax Exhaust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
cat back , dynomax , gibson , magnaflow , muffler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



« Newbie Install Bestop Trektop NX Twill JKU | Goobers »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Vendor Spotlight (Deals & More)
Quadratec
Jeep Parts - Jeep Wheels - Jeep Soft Tops
» Recent Threads

» Popular Tags
2.5 2014 advice audio battery bestop body lift build bumper camping clutch dana 44 electrical engine exhaust fenders for sale hardtop hard top help advice install jeep jeep jk jeep tj jeep wrangler jeep yj jku leak led lift lift advice lift kit lights mods newbie noise oem outdoorx4 overland parts radio regear rims rubicon sahara sale shocks soft top speakers sport springs steering stereo stock suspension suspension lift swap tire tires tires and wheels top transfer case transmission unlimited upgrade wheels wheels and tires winch wiring wrangler
Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC