06 TJ sound system advice needed - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 63
06 TJ sound system advice needed

Getting ready to upgrade the sound system in my 06 tj sport. It's got the stock head unit with 4 speakers and the factory sub in the console.

I'm going to start with a head unit, I like the Sony's I had I a previous vehicle so I'll probably grab another one of those.

Now, I know nothing about speakers, subs, amps, etc. I'll probably upgrade the sound bar speakers first. From there, I'll look for fronts, a new sub and an amp. Here is were I need advice.

I'm not looking to win any car stereo competitions, but I like my metal and I like it loud, especially when the top is down.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. But please, speak to me like I'm a child because after reading thru a lot of the other tech threads on this topic, I felt like I was reading a foreign language...

Thanks in advance.

travisrusselldc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Southern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Casvegas, NC
Posts: 143
Try searching the forum. . . .there have been a lot of sound system questions lately. I replaced mine with JL speakers and amp with an Alpine head unit. I ditched the console sub.

Southern is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
TJTurk2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
I replaced my sound system last summer with 4 Rockford Fosgate speakers in the bar and up front and they're still running strong. Highly recommend since they sound good, they dont break the bank, and they are perfectly capable of playing loud and proud at 40+ mph with the top down. If anything, i recommend getting whatever you end up buying from Sonic Electronix - good prices, usually free shipping
TJTurk2000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
LukeEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 572
Just understand that your head unit can only put out a certain amount of watts. Mine is 200w which can power 4x50w speakers. If you want a sub you need an amp. An amp makes more watts to power subs. A rudimentary kit would be to replace your 4 speakers then wire a self powered sub which has an amp on it to your head unit.
LukeEC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,393
Images: 2
Note: Most HU's say something like 200watts max power. But, this number should not be used to determine the power of your HU. It is misleading and dangerous to your speakers. Only use the RMS power which is like 13-16watts. Most HU's use a loudness button, to give the max power, but that max rating does not include a THD value and can blow out speakers due to the added distortion. Therefore, if you want more power than the RMS Head unit rating, then get an external amp.

If you want it loud with the top down, I would definitely get an external amp. Then, that console subwoofer will probably be insufficient to compliment the powerful speakers.

For the best power, try the Alpine PDX-V9. It's not cheap though, and some people prefer cheaper options. Cheaper is possible but requires research, and increasing your knowledge of audio systems.

An aftermarket HU alone, will not give you more power. It may give you a dangerous misconception, based on their usage of max power, and not RMS power.
ChasUGC is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
BigCrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 269
I'll have to agree with ChasUGC on this one. If you want loud with top down, you'll definitely want an amp. You'll need one for the front and rear and one for a sub. That is unless you pony up for a 5 channel amp. You'll want to ditch the factory sub too.

As far as brands go, just use some with good reputations. Stay away from crap like Dual, Axxera, Boss, Pyle, Pyramid, Jensen, etc.......
BigCrave is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 63
Are there any decent subs that are a direct replacement for the factory unit? Or will I be looking at giving up valuable space for sound...?
travisrusselldc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
uponone789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 87
Kicker makes a 6.5" sub which I put in my console and I'm very happy with it. I believe JL makes one as well. I also think that crutchfield is your best source for car audio.
uponone789 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
BigCrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 269
The JL sub is too deep to fit in the factory sub enclosure. To get a really good volume for loud music with the top down, the front and rear speakers will need an amp which will then make the OEM sub amp underpowered for the task at hand. You would then need a larger amp to power the sub to give you a good ratio of bass compared to your mids and highs from the front/rear speakers.
BigCrave is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
JohnDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 848
My friend, this is what I've been upgrading in my jeep at the moment These are the speakers, stereo, and the black box is a Rockford phosgate PUNCH amp. Not top of the line, but definitely not crap. Sound quality is exceptional and holy shit is it loud... As for the sub... I mainly listen to country but sometimes I'll change it up a bit and crave some thump.. Which is why I present to you my custom sub box that fits 2 shallow mounted 10" subs. The box will fit inside* the bottom of the rear seat. Hidden, up off the tub, and no lost trunk space Specifically the Pioneer Shallow S4. I haven't installed the subs to the box yet but they will be accompanied by a kicker 600W amp.
__________________
2004 Wrangler TJ X, and a bunch of stuff
JohnDoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 160
Images: 1
In my 04 Rubicon I have infinity speakers and sony head unit and kicker sub in my center console. Getting this amp due to size and GREAT reviews.
Clarion 4-channel Amplifiers at Crutchfield.com
Just saying
wranglerbob1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 63
Great suggestions so far, thanks.

Forgot to mention, but for the sub, I'd like to keep it in the console if I can or somewhere else out of the way. I rarely have my backseat in the jeep and my dogs fit very well with nothing else in there.
travisrusselldc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
05Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Flatlands of CT
Posts: 63
Images: 6
i'll be watching this thread, i have a similar desire... loud with the top down, no extra space for amp/external sub.
05Sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Tony T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisrusselldc View Post
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Send back the 4x6 for the front, and put in 5¼'s with this adaptor.
Tony T is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 63
Upon further research, it may appear that it's a 7 speaker system. 4" speakers in the front with tweeters as opposed to just a pair of 4x6". I haven't opened the dash yet to see, but that's what Crutchfield is listing since it does have the sub in the console...
travisrusselldc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 257
-Get the nalin adaptors for the fronts and use 5.25 speakers
-Rear you can use 5.25 stock size or can go with 6.5s and not retain stock grill
-Kicker cvt 6.5 sub in console works very well

Anyone who says they dont have room for amps must not know that amps can be mounted under the dash, other folks mount them under front seats or back bench if you keep that in.

You find a 4 channel amp to run 4 cabin speakers and a mono amp to power the sub -or- buy a 5channel amp that powers everything.

Also stick some polyfill in the various speaker enclosures and i even used foam baffles for the fronts.
05LJTampa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
BigCrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisrusselldc View Post
Great suggestions so far, thanks. Forgot to mention, but for the sub, I'd like to keep it in the console if I can or somewhere else out of the way. I rarely have my backseat in the jeep and my dogs fit very well with nothing else in there.
You can get a new sub for the console. Most prefer the kicker sub for that. The OEM amp is only rated for 80 watts, so I'd get a bigger amp. Also, with an aftermarket amp, you'll be able to use your sub controls from your radio if it's equipped with them.
BigCrave is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 257
Just dont expect mirror rattling bass from the console. Ive overhauled my stereo system 2 complete times in 6months of owning my jeep.

I tried various setups and was pleased with kicker sub in console for what it was but have since upgraded. I guarantee if you amp the speakers & sub correctly you will not have a problem hearing the music without distortion with top down, doors off at 70mph.
05LJTampa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
05Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Flatlands of CT
Posts: 63
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa View Post
-Get the nalin adaptors for the fronts and use 5.25 speakers
-Rear you can use 5.25 stock size or can go with 6.5s and not retain stock grill
-Kicker cvt 6.5 sub in console works very well

Anyone who says they dont have room for amps must not know that amps can be mounted under the dash, other folks mount them under front seats or back bench if you keep that in.

You find a 4 channel amp to run 4 cabin speakers and a mono amp to power the sub -or- buy a 5channel amp that powers everything.

Also stick some polyfill in the various speaker enclosures and i even used foam baffles for the fronts.
great info, thanks. forgive my complete lack of knowledge on this subject but does anyone make a head unit with built-in amp? (or enough power that eliminates the need for the amp?)
05Sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Tony T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa View Post
-Get the nalin adaptors for the fronts and use 5.25 speakers.
Nalin are good quality adaptors, but these point the speaker straight, not down (like stock)
Tony T is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
LukeEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Send back the 4x6 for the front, and put in 5¼'s with this adaptor.
X2 with very minor modification you can use larger speakers
LukeEC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post

Nalin are good quality adaptors, but these point the speaker straight, not down (like stock)
Never saw those before but no need to change mine out now. Good suggestion for people though
05LJTampa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Tony T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEC View Post
X2 with very minor modification you can use larger speakers
OP has an `06, so no modifications needed. 5¼ in the front of my `04 needed no modifications (other than the adaptor, of course. `01 and older need the modification to cut the bracket that's in the way).
Tony T is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Sport View Post
great info, thanks. forgive my complete lack of knowledge on this subject but does anyone make a head unit with built-in amp? (or enough power that eliminates the need for the amp?)
A headunit will power the aftermarket speakers but not push them to the potential or even enough rms power. Companies like Clarion make a power pack which basically plugs into the head unit providing actual 45w rms to 4 channels but that doesnt give you anything for the sub then.

My original configuration i chose rockford punch pbr 300x4 & 300x1 amps, very compact (size of my hand) and produced enough wattage to all speakers/sub. Amps werent that much either.
05LJTampa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
LukeEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
OP has an `06, so no modifications needed. 5¼ in the front of my `04 needed no modifications (other than the adaptor, of course. `01 and older need the modification to cut the bracket that's in the way).
Thanks for clarifying Tony!
LukeEC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
LukeEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 572
On a related note do you folks think an active or passive crossover is super necessary for 4 speaker/tweeters? Would there be a large difference?
LukeEC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Apoc1528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 50
I went with Polk Audio for replacements in the front and sound bar. Bought a 8" self powered sub from sound ordinance that fits into the stock console once you gut the oem stuff. Sounds great to me and I can hear my tunes fine crusing down the freeway with the top off.
Apoc1528 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
05Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Flatlands of CT
Posts: 63
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa View Post
A headunit will power the aftermarket speakers but not push them to the potential or even enough rms power. Companies like Clarion make a power pack which basically plugs into the head unit providing actual 45w rms to 4 channels but that doesnt give you anything for the sub then.

My original configuration i chose rockford punch pbr 300x4 & 300x1 amps, very compact (size of my hand) and produced enough wattage to all speakers/sub. Amps werent that much either.
i have a Pioneer DEH-P7900BT HU (got the jeep used, it was already in)
Audio
Maximum power output .......
50 W × 4
50 W × 2/4 ῼ + 70 W × 1/2
ῼ (for subwoofer)

i don't think i have good speakers tho, stereo doesn't sound all that great.
05Sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Pat-54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, Louisiana
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
My friend, this is what I've been upgrading in my jeep at the moment These are the speakers, stereo, and the black box is a Rockford phosgate PUNCH amp. Not top of the line, but definitely not crap. Sound quality is exceptional and holy shit is it loud... As for the sub... I mainly listen to country but sometimes I'll change it up a bit and crave some thump.. Which is why I present to you my custom sub box that fits 2 shallow mounted 10" subs. The box will fit inside* the bottom of the rear seat. Hidden, up off the tub, and no lost trunk space Specifically the Pioneer Shallow S4. I haven't installed the subs to the box yet but they will be accompanied by a kicker 600W amp.
Do you have a write up of how you did the custom back seat sub box? If so, send me the link or post it in here please!
Pat-54 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
BigCrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEC View Post
On a related note do you folks think an active or passive crossover is super necessary for 4 speaker/tweeters? Would there be a large difference?
A lot of aftermarket head units have built in adjustable high pass filters to eliminate sending too much bass to speakers not rated for it. Most of the time you have to turn them on manually through the HU's menu controls.

BigCrave is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC