1/2 Door - Door Trim Removal - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pukekawa New Zealand
Posts: 46
1/2 Door - Door Trim Removal

Hi, I want to remove my door trims to paint them - are ther any traps to watch out for?
How do you remove the plugs on the top of the doors that the window poles go into?
Thanks!

Larry Flynt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Wattapunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,810
Should be pretty straight forward. Remove any screws and work from one side around to the other to remove the plastic fasteners. The window retainers you are referring to should come off by twisting them 90 degrees and pulling up.

Wattapunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
s14sh3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton, OK
Posts: 2,049
I cracked both of my panels at the upper front part where there's a visible plastic fastener. A trim removal tool might have prevented it.
s14sh3r is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 921
yes be very carefull. I needed different color panels for mine and checked Ebay . New MOPAR Khaki were only $349.00 a pair . So I went to the dealer and bought 3 cans of the MOPAR interior spray paint that matched for 20 bucks and said that will be good enough so don't screw up what you have .
__________________
05 TJ Rubicon 4.88s ,2" BDS, Bilstein 5100, Currie Currectlync , Savvy arms/Metalcloak Duroflex joints, JKS BL, 33"Cooper STT's, Mc front Track Bar
Gary2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pukekawa New Zealand
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
Should be pretty straight forward. Remove any screws and work from one side around to the other to remove the plastic fasteners. The window retainers you are referring to should come off by twisting them 90 degrees and pulling up.
Hi Wattapunk, do I turn the window retainers 1/4 turn and lift them up??

Thanks heaps!

Larry
Larry Flynt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pukekawa New Zealand
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14sh3r View Post
I cracked both of my panels at the upper front part where there's a visible plastic fastener. A trim removal tool might have prevented it.

Sounds like a good idea.... thanks for that!
Larry Flynt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pukekawa New Zealand
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
yes be very carefull. I needed different color panels for mine and checked Ebay . New MOPAR Khaki were only $349.00 a pair . So I went to the dealer and bought 3 cans of the MOPAR interior spray paint that matched for 20 bucks and said that will be good enough so don't screw up what you have .

Wow - what a bargain $349.00!

Thanks for your reply!
Larry Flynt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
alice the cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle/San Diego
Posts: 236
Images: 1
I am about to do this as well. Any other tips or tricks?
__________________
99 White Sahara
2002 Hummer 2 door KSC2
alice the cat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Wattapunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Flynt View Post
Hi Wattapunk, do I turn the window retainers 1/4 turn and lift them up??

Thanks heaps!

Larry
Should pull up and slight twist. Here is a good writeup to remove the panels:

Door Panel - 1
Wattapunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pukekawa New Zealand
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
Should pull up and slight twist. Here is a good writeup to remove the panels:

Door Panel - 1
Thanks for the link!

Larry Flynt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC