2.4L TJ Air filter box, WTF ??? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Newb
 
DukeofNuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
2.4L TJ Air filter box, WTF ???

The air filter box on my 2.4L TJ keeps popping open, no matter how carefully I put it back together. Yesterday, my air filter fell out onto the exhaust manifold and caught on fire, burning some wiring and ruining the paint on the hood. This was the worst incident, but not the first.
What's up with this thing? Is there a fix other than buying one of those fancy air intakes? (I read somewhere that those hi-flow air filters aren't very good in dusty, off-road conditions)
Anyone else have this problem?
Tips and tricks?

Thanks in advance

DukeofNuke is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
StinkyMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roselle, IL
Posts: 485
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofNuke View Post
The air filter box on my 2.4L TJ keeps popping open, no matter how carefully I put it back together. Yesterday, my air filter fell out onto the exhaust manifold and caught on fire, burning some wiring and ruining the paint on the hood. This was the worst incident, but not the first.
What's up with this thing? Is there a fix other than buying one of those fancy air intakes? (I read somewhere that those hi-flow air filters aren't very good in dusty, off-road conditions)
Anyone else have this problem?
Tips and tricks?

Thanks in advance
Mine has been great. I have yet to hear of this happening any where else.

You do know that there is a sort of hinge type of lock on the backside (Firewall side) and then 2 physical clips on the front/opposite side.. Right???

Basically BACK part goes in, then pressed down on filter and clipped on the front.

__________________
"Here, hold my beer. I wanna try something"

Jeff & Angel http://ddoffroad.com/
- 2004 TJ SE 2.4 5 speed, 3" lift with 31's
- 1989 YJ 4.2 5 speed, with 7" lift and 33's
StinkyMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Newb
 
DukeofNuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
Yeah, I've done this enough to know how to fit the back edge into it's notch before the front clips. Mine seems to work itself loose somehow.
DukeofNuke is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofNuke View Post
Yeah, I've done this enough to know how to fit the back edge into it's notch before the front clips. Mine seems to work itself loose somehow.
sounds like the spot where your clips clip is worn out or the retaining bands are bent somehow. To prevent future fires, I'd ziptie that bugger on there and keep some spares in the glovebox before getting a CAI.
BLK00TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
StinkyMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roselle, IL
Posts: 485
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
sounds like the spot where your clips clip is worn out or the retaining bands are bent somehow. To prevent future fires, I'd ziptie that bugger on there and keep some spares in the glovebox before getting a CAI.
Good advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
"Here, hold my beer. I wanna try something"

Jeff & Angel http://ddoffroad.com/
- 2004 TJ SE 2.4 5 speed, 3" lift with 31's
- 1989 YJ 4.2 5 speed, with 7" lift and 33's
StinkyMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Newb
 
DukeofNuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
sounds like the spot where your clips clip is worn out or the retaining bands are bent somehow. To prevent future fires, I'd ziptie that bugger on there and keep some spares in the glovebox before getting a CAI.
Hey, there's an idea!

I was thinking nuts and bolts, but plastic will work.
Now, all I have to do is install a new filter, repair the fire damage, and take that sock off the air intake tube.
DukeofNuke is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
StinkyMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roselle, IL
Posts: 485
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofNuke View Post
and take that sock off the air intake tube.
Did it require a sock because it was cold???

No but seriously, what's with the sock?
__________________
"Here, hold my beer. I wanna try something"

Jeff & Angel http://ddoffroad.com/
- 2004 TJ SE 2.4 5 speed, 3" lift with 31's
- 1989 YJ 4.2 5 speed, with 7" lift and 33's
StinkyMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMud View Post
Did it require a sock because it was cold???

No but seriously, what's with the sock?
Probably a temporary solution while waiting to get a new air filter. Toe cheese is naturally combustible when aerosolized so it had the added benefit of boosting HP.
BLK00TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
StinkyMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roselle, IL
Posts: 485
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
Probably a temporary solution while waiting to get a new air filter. Toe cheese is naturally combustible when aerosolized so it had the added benefit of boosting HP.
Ahhhh behold the power of CHEESE!!!!
__________________
"Here, hold my beer. I wanna try something"

Jeff & Angel http://ddoffroad.com/
- 2004 TJ SE 2.4 5 speed, 3" lift with 31's
- 1989 YJ 4.2 5 speed, with 7" lift and 33's
StinkyMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Newb
 
DukeofNuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
Probably a temporary solution while waiting to get a new air filter. Toe cheese is naturally combustible when aerosolized so it had the added benefit of boosting HP.
Yeah, I just didn't want the jeep to be like River Tam, and swallow a bug.
DukeofNuke is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Newb
 
DukeofNuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
New filter and zip tie in place, and I must say, the jeep seems to run better with a real filter. (I would have guessed no intake restriction would add low-end power. heh.):shrug:
DukeofNuke is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
StinkyMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roselle, IL
Posts: 485
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofNuke View Post
New filter and zip tie in place, and I must say, the jeep seems to run better with a real filter. (I would have guessed no intake restriction would add low-end power. heh.):shrug:
Ahhh Good deal.
Amazing what you can fix with zip ties (and duct tape too).
Congrats!!!

__________________
"Here, hold my beer. I wanna try something"

Jeff & Angel http://ddoffroad.com/
- 2004 TJ SE 2.4 5 speed, 3" lift with 31's
- 1989 YJ 4.2 5 speed, with 7" lift and 33's
StinkyMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
air filter box , tj air filter

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airaid Cold Air intake with Superchip Review Robd225 TJ General Discussion Forum 22 04-16-2011 02:27 PM
k&n air filter, vs k&n air intake? gotpepsi TJ General Discussion Forum 21 12-22-2010 12:24 PM
K&N Filter replacement or upgrade??? Sekstrand3 TJ Tech Forum 37 11-08-2010 09:14 AM
Gas leak near Fuel filter...help... Creeper 13 YJ Tech Forum 6 09-15-2010 12:05 AM
Oil Filter Question LimeTJ JK Tech Forum 4 08-12-2007 10:05 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC