2004 Wrangler Fuel problem? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
2009Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 65
2004 Wrangler Fuel problem?

Had an issue in the hills the other day...anytime I start to go up hill my jeep would act like it is starving for gas then die. If I let it sit for awhile it would start up and run for a few minutes...then act like it was starving for fuel...Anyone experience this before? BTW...had plenty of fuel in the tank.

__________________
_______________________________________________
2009 Detonator Yellow Rubicon


-Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
2009Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
2009Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 65
Question No one has seen this?



No ideas?

__________________
_______________________________________________
2009 Detonator Yellow Rubicon


-Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
2009Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
2009Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 65
So...I took it out yesterday again.....ran great till it warmed up...then...when I got hard on the throttle, it again starved and died so it has nothing to do with a hill...it has to do with demand.
__________________
_______________________________________________
2009 Detonator Yellow Rubicon


-Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
2009Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
TJ-Q8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Rubicon
So...I took it out yesterday again.....ran great till it warmed up...then...when I got hard on the throttle, it again starved and died so it has nothing to do with a hill...it has to do with demand.
Is it hard for you to restart the jeep? If it is and u have to wait for it to cool down i would think its the crank sensor. Thats offcourse if the fuel pump is working properly.
__________________
2001 Jeep Wranlger Tj (Maroon)
Auto for now, will be manual soon
All Stock for now too
Other vehicles:
1978 Chevy Silverado restored
2009 Harley Fat Bob
TJ-Q8 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
2009Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Q8 View Post
Is it hard for you to restart the jeep? If it is and u have to wait for it to cool down i would think its the crank sensor. Thats offcourse if the fuel pump is working properly.
No issues starting...... Sometimes has to turn over for a bit before it starts but thats it.
__________________
_______________________________________________
2009 Detonator Yellow Rubicon


-Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
2009Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
colorubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Longmont CO
Posts: 203
Start with a check of your fuel rail pressure. Determine if the fuel pressure is dropping when the problem occurs.
colorubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
2009Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorubi View Post
Start with a check of your fuel rail pressure. Determine if the fuel pressure is dropping when the problem occurs.
I'd love to do that but in 2004 jeep removed the valve from the rail so I cant check it that way. Any ideas on how to check the pressure without the easy valve?
__________________
_______________________________________________
2009 Detonator Yellow Rubicon


-Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
2009Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Shelby427's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lakeland FL and Hooversville PA
Posts: 2,131
Pull a plug wire. If you have spark most likely you don't have fuel.

Also something else that may be going on. Check for an exhaust restriction, like a cat going bad, will cause the same symptoms when first acting up.
__________________
97 Sahara, 74 Renegade, 72 CJ5, 55 Willy's (the Beast) Boss 302, 6:34 gearing, Bose 901 speakers.
God I miss that Jeep. Forgot the kinda Jeep, 80 SX4.
Shelby427 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Shelby427's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lakeland FL and Hooversville PA
Posts: 2,131
To check the fuel pressure you need an adapter hose. It plugs between the fuel line, and has a tap for a pressure gauge on it.

Miller Tools 6539 Fuel Pressure Test Adapter
__________________
97 Sahara, 74 Renegade, 72 CJ5, 55 Willy's (the Beast) Boss 302, 6:34 gearing, Bose 901 speakers.
God I miss that Jeep. Forgot the kinda Jeep, 80 SX4.
Shelby427 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
C.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,106
Does it smell like eggs? If it only dies when working hard, you may have a plugged cat. They back up when the engine really revs up and choke it until the pressure dies down.
C.L. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
2009Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post
Does it smell like eggs? If it only dies when working hard, you may have a plugged cat. They back up when the engine really revs up and choke it until the pressure dies down.
No bad smell....and wouldn't the cat being plugged cause trouble when it is cold also??? This problem only occurs once the jeep has reached operating temperature. Also...I can floor it going up a hill when cool and everything feels normal.
__________________
_______________________________________________
2009 Detonator Yellow Rubicon


-Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
2009Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
2009Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby427 View Post
Pull a plug wire. If you have spark most likely you don't have fuel.

Also something else that may be going on. Check for an exhaust restriction, like a cat going bad, will cause the same symptoms when first acting up.
Would an electrical problem not be consistent and not temperature related? The jeep runs great when it is cool. Almost acts like vapor lock but I didn't believe that could affect these more modern engines? Thank you for the suggestions...I will try to pull a plug wire next time it goes bad just to be sure!
__________________
_______________________________________________
2009 Detonator Yellow Rubicon


-Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
2009Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
C.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Rubicon View Post
Almost acts like vapor lock but I didn't believe that could affect these more modern engines?
OOOHHHHH! I remember reading on here recently where someone had a similar issue! I've completely forgot the model/year, but i believe the issue did end up being fuel related. The fuel rail ran really close to the exhaust manifold, and a piece of insulation that was supposed to separate the two was missing. Under heavy load the manifold heated up the fuel rail to the point where it was boiling the fuel. The injectors stumbled over injecting the fuel vapor pockets instead of liquid.

Worth looking into.
C.L. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
2009Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post
OOOHHHHH! I remember reading on here recently where someone had a similar issue! I've completely forgot the model/year, but i believe the issue did end up being fuel related. The fuel rail ran really close to the exhaust manifold, and a piece of insulation that was supposed to separate the two was missing. Under heavy load the manifold heated up the fuel rail to the point where it was boiling the fuel. The injectors stumbled over injecting the fuel vapor pockets instead of liquid.

Worth looking into.
Now..that sounds logical! I'll have to check that fuel line really close and see if that could be happening anywhere! The rail does not appear to be insulated at all from the intake, however there is some "foil" looking heat shield where the manifold meets the block...perhaps a piece of that moved.
__________________
_______________________________________________
2009 Detonator Yellow Rubicon


-Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
2009Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Shelby427's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lakeland FL and Hooversville PA
Posts: 2,131
There is a service bulletin on a heat shield to be installed on #3 injector for a hot misfire condition. Also as C.L. stated if the main heat shield is damaged or missing, you could be getting a vapor lock.

Here's the bulletin on the #3 injector problem.

Fuel System - Hot Start Misfire/MIL ON/DTC's/Rough Idle

NUMBER: 18-031-03

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: Sep. 05, 2003

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-027-02, DATED SEPTEMBER 06, 2002, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ********S HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
4.0L Rough Engine Idle After Restart Following A Hot Soak

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

MODELS:
2000-2004 (TJ) Wrangler (Domestic and International Markets)
1999-2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)
2001-2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Market)
2000-2001 (XJ) Jeep Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine (sales code = ERH)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32C (90F) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content. Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder # 3 Misfire.

This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector # 3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder # 3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector # 3. The insulator sleeve lowers the injector # 3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder # 3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length.

2. Install one sleeve around injector # 3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.

3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.

4. Check injector # 3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o'clock position (from driver's side of vehicle).

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
__________________
97 Sahara, 74 Renegade, 72 CJ5, 55 Willy's (the Beast) Boss 302, 6:34 gearing, Bose 901 speakers.
God I miss that Jeep. Forgot the kinda Jeep, 80 SX4.
Shelby427 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
2009Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby427 View Post
There is a service bulletin on a heat shield to be installed on #3 injector for a hot misfire condition. Also as C.L. stated if the main heat shield is damaged or missing, you could be getting a vapor lock.

Here's the bulletin on the #3 injector problem.

Fuel System - Hot Start Misfire/MIL ON/DTC's/Rough Idle

NUMBER: 18-031-03

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: Sep. 05, 2003

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-027-02, DATED SEPTEMBER 06, 2002, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ********S HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
4.0L Rough Engine Idle After Restart Following A Hot Soak

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

MODELS:
2000-2004 (TJ) Wrangler (Domestic and International Markets)
1999-2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)
2001-2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Market)
2000-2001 (XJ) Jeep Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine (sales code = ERH)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32C (90F) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content. Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder # 3 Misfire.

This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector # 3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder # 3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector # 3. The insulator sleeve lowers the injector # 3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder # 3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length.

2. Install one sleeve around injector # 3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.

3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.

4. Check injector # 3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o'clock position (from driver's side of vehicle).

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Thanks for that Info. Good to know! I finally bit the bullet and took it to my local mechanic. He tested the fuel pump and found that it was jumping back and forth between 46lbs and 4 lbs. He said that the fact that it was happening the same time that the jeep warmed up was just coincidence. He advised that the fuel pump was probably also warming up and that it when it started to fail. Costly problem diagnoses and fix on a jeep that I'm trying to sell!

__________________
_______________________________________________
2009 Detonator Yellow Rubicon


-Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
2009Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 Rubicon Transmisson Problem King of Beers TJ Tech Forum 5 12-06-2012 04:13 PM
How To: Fix a Clogged Fuel Intake or Change a Fuel Filter! burton160w TJ General Discussion Forum 5 08-04-2011 02:42 AM
'93 wrangler problem, help im stumped. crashmclarson YJ Tech Forum 6 03-13-2011 05:21 PM
Need help with fuel problem Maurie General Jeep Discussion 3 03-25-2010 08:01 PM
TJ Error codes khenderson TJ Tech Forum 3 08-19-2005 01:36 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC