3.73 gears top end acceleration video 80 mph+ - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
Homeslice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clearfield, Utah
Posts: 27
I agree that gearing is all about preference but with my 4 L and 33 inch Toyo MT's that way a ton. if I'm on the freeway with a headwind I can't accelerate in fifth I will start slowing down and have to downshift to fourth and I have a cold air intake and exhaust I can't wait to re gear but I don't want to upgrade my d35 when my heart really wants to do the D 44 with lockers but don't have 4+k laying around right now for a full front and rear 44 swap with lockers and sye with woody shafts so I have to accept my dog on the highway I do feel like its ok untill 5th gear but that gear might as well not exist until I re gear I'm taking donations

Homeslice is offline   Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
Homeslice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clearfield, Utah
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice
I agree that gearing is all about preference but with my 4 L and 33 inch Toyo MT's that way a ton. if I'm on the freeway with a headwind I can't accelerate in fifth I will start slowing down and have to downshift to fourth and I have a cold air intake and exhaust I can't wait to re gear but I don't want to upgrade my d35 when my heart really wants to do the D 44 with lockers but don't have 4+k laying around right now for a full front and rear 44 swap with lockers and sye with woody shafts so I have to accept my dog on the highway I do feel like its ok untill 5th gear but that gear might as well not exist until I re gear I'm taking donations
P.s the gearing for me will be a 4.56 set up that's just what I like

Homeslice is offline   Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #63
Jeeper
 
jgorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
if I'm on the freeway with a headwind I can't accelerate in fifth I will start slowing down and have to downshift to fourth
But isn't that why you bought a manual? I like having an overdrive gear to keep the rpms down and mpg up. I get 2 mpg better on the freeway with 35s vs 31s because of the rpms. Sure, I have to down shift when I go up a big hill unless I'm going 75+, but so what. If you can't maintain your speed in top gear on relatively flat ground, then you need more gear. If you don't like shifting, then buy an auto. My last jeep with the 5 speed, 3.73s, and 33s, needed more gear.
__________________
my 06 LJ rubicon
2.5" SL, 1" BL, DIY highline, 35s with double beadlocks.
jgorm is offline   Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #64
Jeeper
 
Homeslice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clearfield, Utah
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm
But isn't that why you bought a manual? I like having an overdrive gear to keep the rpms down and mpg up. I get 2 mpg better on the freeway with 35s vs 31s because of the rpms. Sure, I have to down shift when I go up a big hill unless I'm going 75+, but so what. If you can't maintain your speed in top gear on relatively flat ground, then you need more gear. If you don't like shifting, then buy an auto. My last jeep with the 5 speed, 3.73s, and 33s, needed more gear.
I do like to shift I was just stating that for me I do need gears I just haven't upgraded yet because I can't afford to do the whole set up that I like and in my jeep I can be on a flat surface going 65 and if I get any kind headwind it'll start slowing me down to 60 miles an hour or any find of upward grade I like to maintain 75 miles an hour on the freeway and I can't stand fifth gear to do that and in forth I'm at 2,500 Rpms eating the fuel
Homeslice is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
jgorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I like to maintain 75 miles an hour on the freeway and I can't stand fifth gear to do that and in forth I'm at 2,500 Rpms eating the fuel
2500 rpms is the bottom of the useful range on a jeep. Go to 3000+ to accelerate or go up big hills.
__________________
my 06 LJ rubicon
2.5" SL, 1" BL, DIY highline, 35s with double beadlocks.
jgorm is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I like to maintain 75 miles an hour on the freeway and I can't stand fifth gear to do that and in forth I'm at 2,500 Rpms eating the fuel


42RLE/4.88s/33s + cruise control.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #67
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 8,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post


42RLE/4.88s/33s + cruise control.
That is sweet
Works out the same as 35 tires and 5.13's.. 18.6 mpg is not bad for a flying brick.
Gunner is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #68
Jeeper
 
kylekae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 701
You guys think that 5.13 will do good for 35s and a 42 rle

__________________
follow my build at http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/my-j...ss-154212.html
kylekae is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC