32's with lift? Advice needed - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 448
32's with lift? Advice needed

I'm looking into getting 32s for my jeep I'm wondering what size lift is necessary in order to run them smoothly with no rubbing or Anything of that nature
Also what type of lift will do the trick correctly and keep the balance in check without costing a fortune
Also when changing stock to 32s is there any changing in gearing necessary? Anything I need to know before doing it?

Advice?
Tips?
Recommendations?

I want to gain the best knowledge possible before making the purchase

Thanks!

jmt27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Zjones1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 174
Hey, i also plan on running 32's. Every thing ive read is if you have about 2.5 lift you should be fine, might have to adjust steering stops but shouldnt be a prob. I know people with 3.73 and 35/30 (what was standard and i have) that run it easily with a 4.0 and 5 speed.

Zjones1994 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 448
I thought/read that 2inch lift is perfect for 32s?
jmt27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Yipeee Kay Ayyy

WF Supporting Member
 
Wesboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,977
I used to run 32 x 11.5's muddies with a 2" OME lift on my '97 TJ*
Tires were mounted on OEM 15x8 rims with 5.5" backspacing.

Had some rubbing on the front control arms and anti-sway bar at full lock which was easily fixed with a couple of washers on the steering stops.

Things were really tight in the rear but never had any rubbing issues. Perhaps I'm not hardcore enough or just lucky. Could also be due to variances between tire manufacturers but although I never had a problem, it was always on my mind and would have been more comfortable with a bit more room back there. ie different BS rims or spacers.

Checked the speedo with a GPS and saw no difference, but again, I guess results will vary with different brands of tires, with them all being slightly different.

Also, the stock flares JUST covered the tires with the stock rims (5.5" BS).

Had to remove the rubber bumps on the tailgate to mount the spare and raise the third brake light.
Actually the spare was mounted on a stock 15x7 rim (5.5" BS).

I was running stock diff ratios (3.07). The 3 speed auto is a bit more forgiving with that combination.

One other thing to consider is 32" tires are far less common, so that could be a problem if you need one in a hurry. I sometimes used to carry 2 spares (one in the tub).

* Now added a 1"BL and 33's
Wesboy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Feed_That_Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 250
Heres my TJ with 32's and a BB. No rub on the street. Havent done any hard wheeling with this setup but it hasnt rubbed just tooling around on my uncles property with the sway bar connected. Wheels have 3.75 BS.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111013_074310.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	72280



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111013_074338.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	72281
__________________
2006 TJ 4.0 6speed 30/44

Same old, Rat in a drain ditch, Caught on a limb
You know better, But i know him
Like I told you, What I said
Steal Your Face right off your head.
Feed_That_Jones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt27 View Post
I thought/read that 2inch lift is perfect for 32s?
it'll work with proper bumpstop extensions and a 1.25" BL.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/corr...gth-70047.html
UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
TOKKIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sonora, CA.
Posts: 414
I run 32x11.50 km2's with a 3" suspension lift and 3.75"backspacing and seems to be perfect.
TOKKIE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cleveland,OH
Posts: 34
Hey JMT, are you using your jeep as a daily driver? I just got my first Jeep last week and looking to do the same thing as you. I use mine as a daily driver, nothing off-road. I was looking at the Skyjacker standard lift vs the economy lift. What do you plan on going with? I saw a really cool looking Jeep that had 20" rims and 35" tires I believe, it looked really good. I will send you a pic of it
__________________
why must I spoil myself
wrangler newbie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler newbie
Hey JMT, are you using your jeep as a daily driver? I just got my first Jeep last week and looking to do the same thing as you. I use mine as a daily driver, nothing off-road. I was looking at the Skyjacker standard lift vs the economy lift. What do you plan on going with? I saw a really cool looking Jeep that had 20" rims and 35" tires I believe, it looked really good. I will send you a pic of it
Its my DD I do a bit of trail riding too. But I feel like my jeep sits a little too low so I Want to lift it get new rims and tires I'm not sure what type to get I don't want it over done thought what type do you plan on doing?
For sure send me a pic of it! And nice what year model jeep did u get?
jmt27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,212
I have a 2" BDS suspension lift - springs and shocks. Tires calculate out to 31.6x10.4, almost 32's. Wheels have 4.5" backspacing. I think 2" lift with proper backspacing and bump stops should be perfect. Maybe a 3/4" spacer up front too. I'm thinking about adding them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LakeMI2.jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	72324  
__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigunman
I have a 2" BDS suspension lift - springs and shocks. Tires calculate out to 31.6x10.4, almost 32's. Wheels have 4.5" backspacing. I think 2" lift with proper backspacing and bump stops should be perfect. Maybe a 3/4" spacer up front too. I'm thinking about adding them.
Yeah it looks good on ur jeep looks like the perfect fit
jmt27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cleveland,OH
Posts: 34
Sorry for the delay, here is the pic I was telling you about. This Jeep is 2000 I believe, it has a 3" suspension lift and 2" body lift, 20" wheels and 33" tires. Funny thing is I already picked these wheels out for my Jeep but in the black and machined finish. So when I stumbled across this pic I fell in love with it .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31677340002_large.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	72510  
__________________
why must I spoil myself
wrangler newbie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cleveland,OH
Posts: 34
I do want the Bushwacker fender flares but I am going to spray mine with the bedliner material.
__________________
why must I spoil myself
wrangler newbie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler newbie View Post
Sorry for the delay, here is the pic I was telling you about. This Jeep is 2000 I believe, it has a 3" suspension lift and 2" body lift, 20" wheels and 33" tires. Funny thing is I already picked these wheels out for my Jeep but in the black and machined finish. So when I stumbled across this pic I fell in love with it .
that looks bad ass!! i love it!! looks like a beast!!
there huge rims and tires though lol but it looks good
jmt27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,219
I usually don't like big rims on jeeps but that set-up looks pretty sweet.
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cleveland,OH
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2
I usually don't like big rims on jeeps but that set-up looks pretty sweet.
Yeah me too, I was originally thinking about 17" or 18" but when I saw this I thought it look really cool.
__________________
why must I spoil myself
wrangler newbie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
IMO the more side wall the better but do what you want! That doesn't loo ktoo bad but iI'm conflicted.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
Newb
 
CMNT H8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt27 View Post
I'm looking into getting 32s for my jeep I'm wondering what size lift is necessary in order to run them smoothly with no rubbing or Anything of that nature
Also what type of lift will do the trick correctly and keep the balance in check without costing a fortune
Also when changing stock to 32s is there any changing in gearing necessary? Anything I need to know before doing it?

Advice?
Tips?
Recommendations?

I want to gain the best knowledge possible before making the purchase

Thanks!
Don't know if you have a four or a six under the hood, but i had a 2000 wrangler and put 32's on it without changing the gearing and had alot of trouble on the highway. it just couldn't get out of it's own way. did just fine around town though.
CMNT H8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMNT H8R
Don't know if you have a four or a six under the hood, but i had a 2000 wrangler and put 32's on it without changing the gearing and had alot of trouble on the highway. it just couldn't get out of it's own way. did just fine around town though.
I have a 6. I do a lot of highway too so then do u think j should just get 31s
jmt27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt27 View Post
I have a 6. I do a lot of highway too so then do u think j should just get 31s
I have a 6 cylinder and 3.73 gears. Mine does OK on the highway, any higher gears I think would be more problematic. I run just a pinch over 2000 rpms at 70 MPH. The only time it's really an issue is if I'm running a two lane in the 55-60 MPH range. I sometimes have to turn off the overdrive because it wants to engage too soon. I hope to regear next year in preperation for eventual 33" tires.

Oh, and yes my speedometer is right on, within 1 MPH of GPS.

What gear ratio do you have?
__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigunman
I have a 6 cylinder and 3.73 gears. Mine does OK on the highway, any higher gears I think would be more problematic. I run just a pinch over 2000 rpms at 70 MPH. The only time it's really an issue is if I'm running a two lane in the 55-60 MPH range. I sometimes have to turn off the overdrive because it wants to engage too soon. I hope to regear next year in preperation for eventual 33" tires.

Oh, and yes my speedometer is right on, within 1 MPH of GPS.

What gear ratio do you have?
Right now with stock at 70mph I'm running about 2100-2200 Rpms maybe more.. But now I'm not sure between 32s or 31s km running mostly highway like I said anybody have any pics of either? It'd be much appreciated
jmt27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #22
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt27 View Post
Right now with stock at 70mph I'm running about 2100-2200 Rpms maybe more.. But now I'm not sure between 32s or 31s km running mostly highway like I said anybody have any pics of either? It'd be much appreciated
Go here for pics, choose 2" lift and then look at different size tires.
My Jeep Wrangler - Jeep Lift Kits
__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 448
What's the highest BB and/ or BL you recommend?
jmt27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
BB kit's don't go bigger then 2.5in and don't ever run anything over a 1.25in bl.
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight
BB kit's don't go bigger then 2.5in and don't ever run anything over a 1.25in bl.
Okay lol that's what I've heard what do you think would be the perfect set up to run the 32s I've heard multiple things and different replies I wanna do it right.
jmt27 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt27

Okay lol that's what I've heard what do you think would be the perfect set up to run the 32s I've heard multiple things and different replies I wanna do it right.
A 2.5" suspension looks like it would work pretty well. I've seen pics with 31s and looks like there is enough room for a 32 under there.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
I'd run a 1.25in bl with a 1in mml and 31's and save up for a 2-2.5 inch suspension lift then run either 32's or 33's. not that there's anything wrong with going with a bb but I myself would only want to have to do it once
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
I'd run a 1.25in bl with a 1in mml and 31's and save up for a 2-2.5 inch suspension lift then run either 32's or 33's. not that there's anything wrong with going with a bb but I myself would only want to have to do it once
In a scenario like that, would you run bump stops on a 2" suspension and if yes what length would you recommend? Or would the suspension lift give enough clearance/flex that additional bump stops are not needed?
user4574 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #29
Newb
 
CMNT H8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt27 View Post
I have a 6. I do a lot of highway too so then do u think j should just get 31s
Sold that jeep and have an 03 wrangler now with a six running 33's with a mild lift. Everything else is stock. I've had no issues with it so if you can get passed any rubbing issues that others are discussing the motor definitely won't be an issue.
CMNT H8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
my98tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tullahoma, TN
Posts: 585
2" bb with 32's. soft 8's with 3.75" bs

3" teraflex with 32's. soft 8's with 3.75" bs


__________________
Can anyone tell me how the flux capacitor is used to facilitate time travel?
my98tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on lift springs!!! Stottman TJ General Discussion Forum 0 08-02-2011 08:43 AM
Lift kit advice auburnman TJ General Discussion Forum 25 02-23-2011 02:42 AM
First Lift. Any advice? zerohero TJ General Discussion Forum 12 02-21-2011 09:33 PM
OME lift/ 2in lift advice dbwvu TJ General Discussion Forum 8 09-05-2007 02:14 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC