33" Duratracs - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
njp2295's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Livingston, NJ
Posts: 134
33" Duratracs

What PSI do you keep your 33" duratracs?

__________________
This is an addiction
2005 Black Wrangler
OME Ultimate Kit
33x12.5 Duratracs
njp2295 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,208
enough PSI such that they show a good contact patch.

UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
SouthTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Memphis
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
enough PSI such that they show a good contact patch.
Um, yeah. I think he's looking for an answer in the form of an actual number.
__________________
13 JK Rubicon
SouthTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Derp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTJ

Um, yeah. I think he's looking for an answer in the form of an actual number.
um yeah. Psi varies from vehicle weight and its different for everyone :rolls eyes:
Derp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
SouthTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Memphis
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
um yeah. Psi varies from vehicle weight and its different for everyone :rolls eyes:
Um yeah, no kidding. He asked what PSI others are running. It's a simple question.
__________________
13 JK Rubicon
SouthTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,369
Images: 2
26-28 at the most is appropriate for a 33x12.50 Load Range C carrying a Wrangler. 26 for unloaded, 28 for when the Jeep is fully loaded with gear or passengers.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wolf Lake, IL
Posts: 709
Mine are 28 front and rear. The dust print from my gravel driveway proves this to be the best psi for the widest footprint. A pound or two up or down probably wouldn't matter much.
JeepnJim is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
TnDz TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,925
Images: 220
27-28 on the street.... I started at 30-32 but noticed the centers wearing a bit more and followed my gut to run the 27-28.
__________________
~Todd~ 2004 X 4.0 5 speed---SOLD
4" Lift, 4.56's, 33" Duratracs on M/T Classics
RR SYE, Tatton CV, MML, BL, TT, Dynomax Exhaust
Hella Lighting: Driving, Fogs and H4 E-Codes
NOPE! ... and NEVER will be...
TnDz TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Full Size Jeep Dr.

WF Supporting Member
 
lindel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The land of Salted Iron
Posts: 1,893
I get a good contact patch at 24 psi. Rim width plays a part in contact patch, just like weight and tire size.
__________________
His: 1999 Flame Red TJ, With a few mods...

Hers: 1987 Grand Wagoneer, stock w/Falken Wildpeak ATs
lindel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,369
Images: 2
Be wary, "good contact patches" like from the chalk test can often cause the tires to be underinflated. Personally, I feel 24 psi is more appropriate to a 35x12.50 tire size than a 33x12.50.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Stanton Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chache Valley Utah
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Be wary, "good contact patches" like from the chalk test can often cause the tires to be underinflated. Personally, I feel 24 psi is more appropriate to a 35x12.50 tire size than a 33x12.50.
I've been running my 31" Duratracs at 35-40 psi.. Is that wayy too much???
Stanton Tucker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,369
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton Tucker View Post
I've been running my 31" Duratracs at 35-40 psi.. Is that wayy too much???
Yep that is way too high. 29-31 is more appropriate for a 31x10.50.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Stanton Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chache Valley Utah
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Yep that is way too high. 29-31 is more appropriate for a 31x10.50.
With hot and cold weather should i increase or decrease psi??
Stanton Tucker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,369
Images: 2
You're over thinking this.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Stanton Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chache Valley Utah
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
You're over thinking this.
The guy at the tire store said tire pressure should change between winter and summer months.. Kid you not, is that a myth can I run 30 year round?
Stanton Tucker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Derp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTJ

Um yeah, no kidding. He asked what PSI others are running. It's a simple question.
Theirs a search button isnt their?
Derp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,369
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton Tucker View Post
The guy at the tire store said tire pressure should change between winter and summer months.. Kid you not, is that a myth can I run 30 year round?
And many guys at the tire store don't know any better than to just air tires up to the pressure molded onto the tire's sidewall which is never the correct pressure to use.

The same amount of air in cold conditions will produce a lower pressure than the same volume of air will when it's hot. A tire that gets hot will increase its air pressure by the same amount it will decrease its air pressure when the air is cold.

For example... I air my tires down to 8 psi when it's early and cold when I am preparing my TJ for the trail. By the time I get moving and have been driving on the tires long enough to heat them up, the air pressure in them may have gone up to 12 psi or so. So I have to let air out to get them back down to the 8 psi they were at in the morning. So whether they are hot or cold, I am still keeping them at the same psi.

All you have to do is keep your tire pressure in PSI constant in cold vs. hot conditions and your tires will produce the same contact patch. So that guy in the tire store heard something about air pressures changing in hot vs. cold conditions but didn't quite grasp what it really means to you and I.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Stanton Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chache Valley Utah
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford

And many guys at the tire store don't know any better than to just air tires up to the pressure molded onto the tire's sidewall which is never the correct pressure to use.

The same amount of air in cold conditions will produce a lower pressure than the same volume of air will when it's hot. A tire that gets hot will increase its air pressure by the same amount it will decrease its air pressure when the air is cold.

For example... I air my tires down to 8 psi when it's early and cold when I am preparing my TJ for the trail. By the time I get moving and have been driving on the tires long enough to heat them up, the air pressure in them may have gone up to 12 psi or so. So I have to let air out to get them back down to the 8 psi they were at in the morning. So whether they are hot or cold, I am still keeping them at the same psi.

All you have to do is keep your tire pressure in PSI constant in cold vs. hot conditions and your tires will produce the same contact patch. So that guy in the tire store heard something about air pressures changing in hot vs. cold conditions but didn't quite grasp what it really means to you and I.
Thanks for that explanation, I will just maintain them at 30 psi all the time then
Stanton Tucker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
President, ThumbJeeps

WF Supporting Member
 
sevenservices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan/Thumb
Posts: 3,947
33x12.5x15, 1994 YJ and I run them at exactly 30psi for most applications. When I'm on the trails I air down to about 17 psi.

I found that anything over 30psi is way to hard for the bumps like a skateboard on a sidewalk.

For sand I go down to 10-13psi but only for sand because Im afraid of blowing a bead running that low lol.
__________________
-Chris
President, ThumbJeeps
CB Callsign "AirForce One"


1994 Wrangler YJ I6 4.0 H/O Auto 3 spd. 4" RC (33x12.5) (15x8) 3:54 Gears
sevenservices is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,369
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenservices View Post
33x12.5x15, 1994 YJ and I run them at exactly 30psi for most applications. When I'm on the trails I air down to about 17 psi.

I found that anything over 30psi is way to hard for the bumps like a skateboard on a sidewalk.

For sand I go down to 10-13psi but only for sand because Im afraid of blowing a bead running that low lol.
With that size tire, you're not even really airing down until you get it to under 15 psi. You can safely air down to 10-13 for offroading if your wheels are 15x8. It's a bit sketchier if your wheels are 15x10 but 13 is still safe for even that wide of a wheel.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,498
Images: 1
Tire shop set my 33" Duratracs at 36 psi so I just dropped them down to 28psi.

__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC