33's - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
MILK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 42
33's

Hey, I recently got a Jeep and took it mudding . Needless to say I had a blast. I want to lift my Jeep a bit so that it can clear 33's and then later add a winch. As of now it's stock, except for the bumper, and a pair of side steps that are coming in the mail.

Money isn't an issue, but I don't want to go higher than 33's.

I'm looking at Full Traction 3inch lift, and maybe TeraFlex 9550 shocks.
I have a lot of friends running Rubicon Express.

Any advice?
Should I forget the silly lift and just go for wheel spacers or something?

The Jeep is going to be for both a daily driving and mudding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121202_154429.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	184196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121122_144924.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	184197  


MILK93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Double_Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 269
Here's mine. 4" Lift, 33x12.5x15 Love it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-04_17-30-05_503.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	184205  

Double_Trouble is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,884
33's are fit in two common ways on TJ's:

1. 4" suspension lift, with ~2" bumpstop extensions in front and ~2.5" in the rear. Requires a SYE/CV shaft.
2. 2.5" suspension lift, with a 1.25" body lift, with ~1-1.25" bumpstop extensions in front and ~1.25-1.5" in the rear. The 1.25" BL usually accompanies a 1" Motor Mount Lift to offset some of the driveline angles.

Either way you go, figure on some or many of the following components: longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, gears, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, new shocks, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK93 View Post
Should I forget the silly lift and just go for wheel spacers or something?
This is a bad bad idea....
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.
TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
MILK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
33's are fit in two common ways on TJ's:

1. 4" suspension lift, with ~2" bumpstop extensions in front and ~2.5" in the rear. Requires a SYE/CV shaft.
What are bump stops?

also why the SYE/CV shat? I thought they were for 35's??
MILK93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
MILK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJspeed View Post
This is a bad bad idea....
Thanks for the heads up, I'm really new
MILK93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Jeepin' aint easy

WF Supporting Member
 
WranglerWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sanger
Posts: 4,098
Send a message via Skype™ to WranglerWarrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK93

What are bump stops?

also why the SYE/CV shat? I thought they were for 35's??
Good rule of thumb is anything over 2" lift use a SYE/CV shaft due to the drive line angle difference from stock without it you will have rear drive shaft vibration on the highway. And even worse in some situations you could have the yolk slip all the way out. Seen it!! Hope this helps
__________________
Keep on Jeepin' on!
WranglerWarrior is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK93 View Post
What are bump stops?

also why the SYE/CV shat? I thought they were for 35's??
What is a CV shaft and why do I want one?
Correct bumpstop length
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
FireMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerWarrior View Post
Good rule of thumb is anything over 2" lift use a SYE/CV shaft due to the drive line angle difference from stock without it you will have rear drive shaft vibration on the highway. And even worse in some situations you could have the yolk slip all the way out. Seen it!! Hope this helps
I run 33s on a 4 inch lift and have never had any issues, but I do have a t-case drop. which may be considered along with a mm lift.
FireMike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
MILK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 42
I'm starting to understand.
After reading about the FT kit I saw some good stuff

It brings bump stops and Cad-plated transfer case drop down

Would I still need the SYE/CV shaft?
MILK93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
MILK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
33's are fit in two common ways on TJ's:

1. 4" suspension lift, with ~2" bumpstop extensions in front and ~2.5" in the rear. Requires a SYE/CV shaft.
2. 2.5" suspension lift, with a 1.25" body lift, with ~1-1.25" bumpstop extensions in front and ~1.25-1.5" in the rear. The 1.25" BL usually accompanies a 1" Motor Mount Lift to offset some of the driveline angles.

Either way you go, figure on some or many of the following components: longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, gears, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, new shocks, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.
Took your advice, took the second rout. Zone 4.25 combo.(I got it with quick discos, I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do...) I've had it for about a week. No death wobble, zero vibration, and I actually have to use my steps, so a tremendous plus! Currently going to add a new Steering Stabilizer since the one I have now is leaking, new lugs since the old ones look odd on the new rims, the center caps ( it was dumb of me to think the rims would like with out them). My girlfriend is also getting me new (HID) headlights for valentines day . Found a great thread for that. Then I'm going to fix up the electrical and the speakers since I'm always waking up to my Jeep with the battery dead, dome light flickering while I drive, and the speakers are horrendous. After that I'm looking at a poison spyder bumper, and don't even try to talk me out of that one!

shop.poisonspyder.com/TJ-LJ-Front-Bumper-Trail-Stinger-p/14-16-020-s.htm

H.I.D.s on my TJ = WOW! - JeepForum.com

4.25" TJ Combo Lift J25/J26
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130123_164413.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	204293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130123_163922.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	204294  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130130_083945.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	204295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130130_083920.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	204296  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130131_111759.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	204297  
MILK93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
blueskiesbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK93

Took your advice, took the second rout. Zone 4.25 combo.(I got it with quick discos, I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do...) I've had it for about a week. No death wobble, zero vibration, and I actually have to use my steps, so a tremendous plus! Currently going to add a new Steering Stabilizer since the one I have now is leaking, new lugs since the old ones look odd on the new rims, the center caps ( it was dumb of me to think the rims would like with out them). My girlfriend is also getting me new (HID) headlights for valentines day . Found a great thread for that. Then I'm going to fix up the electrical and the speakers since I'm always waking up to my Jeep with the battery dead, dome light flickering while I drive, and the speakers are horrendous. After that I'm looking at a poison spyder bumper, and don't even try to talk me out of that one!

shop.poisonspyder.com/TJ-LJ-Front-Bumper-Trail-Stinger-p/14-16-020-s.htm

H.I.D.s on my TJ = WOW! - JeepForum.com

4.25" TJ Combo Lift J25/J26
Looks good mayn! Same lift on my mine and size tires. The quick discos were a great idea, at least until you get an anti rock!!!!
__________________
'when people look like ants -- Pull. when the ants look like people -- too late'

'if at first you do not succeed, skydiving is not for you'
blueskiesbill is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,091
Looks good man. (even with the pocket flares, I like the stock ones) but yours looks real good with the lift and paint color.

You made a good choice with the lift and disco's
NC Bear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
MILK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesbill View Post

Looks good mayn! Same lift on my mine and size tires. The quick discos were a great idea, at least until you get an anti rock!!!!
Do you have antirock? I've been debating and there's not much rocks here in south Florida

__________________
Jeep Wrangler 1997 4bangger Zone 4.25 Combo BFG T/A KO 33x12.50R15
MILK93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC