4x4 4banger waisting gas - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Mzero3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mcallen
Posts: 235
4x4 4banger waisting gas

I just bought my dream jeep 1999 Tj and have been really excited for the past week iv had it specially since I live by hills and great land but when I got it it needed oil change and coolant in radiator in which I did but now i don't know if its the gauge acting up or it is really waisting gas ??? What should I do? Pls help

Mzero3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzero3 View Post
I just bought my dream jeep 1999 Tj and have been really excited for the past week iv had it specially since I live by hills and great land but when I got it it needed oil change and coolant in radiator in which I did but now i don't know if its the gauge acting up or it is really waisting gas ??? What should I do? Pls help
Mzero3,

First off, congrats on the new Jeep! Looks pretty clean, it's always a good idea to change the fluid right after buying a used vehicle. Even when buying from a dealer, I still change the oil and other fluids right after I buy something.

Whe you say it's, "wasting gas", what do you mean? It's not getting good mileage, or you are leaking gas? The bigger tires will cause your speedometer to be off by a few mph making your odometer read less smiles than you actually traveled. So if you did the miles driven divided by gallons used, your calculations will be wrong.

Even still, Jeeps don't get the best mileage. The 2.5L engine and what look like 31's will get about 15-18 mpg at the most. The 4 cyl, is no power house and since you have the 5 speed, you have 4.10 gears so it should be running the 31's just fine.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions!

-Zach

__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Mzero3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mcallen
Posts: 235
Thanks Zach I appreciate your time and ill keep that in mind , thanks for your help.
Mzero3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Zevman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Where the rich and famous live and stare at my jeep like I'm the gardner.
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain View Post

Mzero3,

First off, congrats on the new Jeep! Looks pretty clean, it's always a good idea to change the fluid right after buying a used vehicle. Even when buying from a dealer, I still change the oil and other fluids right after I buy something.

Whe you say it's, "wasting gas", what do you mean? It's not getting good mileage, or you are leaking gas? The bigger tires will cause your speedometer to be off by a few mph making your odometer read less smiles than you actually traveled. So if you did the miles driven divided by gallons used, your calculations will be wrong.

Even still, Jeeps don't get the best mileage. The 2.5L engine and what look like 31's will get about 15-18 mpg at the most. The 4 cyl, is no power house and since you have the 5 speed, you have 4.10 gears so it should be running the 31's just fine.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions!

-Zach
4.10 gears? I thought the stock 2.5L came with 3.07, I'm a newbie so I could be wrong.
Zevman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevman View Post

4.10 gears? I thought the stock 2.5L came with 3.07, I'm a newbie so I could be wrong.
Nope, 4 cylinders came with 4.10..
__________________
-Rob

1998 Jeep Wrangler
4.0 : 5 Speed : Green with Black hard top : 33X12.50 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip's on Eagle Alloy 15x7's : e-AutoGrille's Rock Crawler front bumper with an Engo E9000 with synthetic line
ob269 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Zevman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Where the rich and famous live and stare at my jeep like I'm the gardner.
Posts: 173
The SE model?
Zevman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Zevman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Where the rich and famous live and stare at my jeep like I'm the gardner.
Posts: 173
I have a 98 SE that I'm building up is why I'm asking. I just put 31s on and a lift in two weeks. Want to run 33s when I can afford to regear and add lockers.
Zevman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Zevman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Where the rich and famous live and stare at my jeep like I'm the gardner.
Posts: 173
Ok so the 4.0 had the 3.07, now I get it
Zevman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Waldo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Antigo, WI.
Posts: 152
As far as I know all 4 bangers have 4.10, my 6 cylinder has 3.07, wish I had the 4.10's check the tag on the pumpkin to be sure.
Waldo1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevman View Post
I have a 98 SE that I'm building up is why I'm asking. I just put 31s on and a lift in two weeks. Want to run 33s when I can afford to regear and add lockers.
If you have a 4cyl and want to run 33's I would look at a set of 4.56 gears. My YJ had 4.56's and I ran 33's and 31's on it and it was much better with the 33's. The 31's made first gear basically useless. I would start out in second most of the time at red lights. If I used first in traffic, I wasn't even through the intersection before I was shifting into 2nd gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo1 View Post
As far as I know all 4 bangers have 4.10, my 6 cylinder has 3.07, wish I had the 4.10's check the tag on the pumpkin to be sure.
All 2.5L's with the manual trans had the 4.10 gears, while the 4cyl auto's had 3.73 gears. It's always good to check your tag on the pumpkin. It's even better to pull the diff cover and look at the tooth count on the ring gear. and do the math to get the exact number. Since you don't know if someone re-geared it and didn't take the tag off.

-Zach
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Zevman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Where the rich and famous live and stare at my jeep like I'm the gardner.
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain View Post

If you have a 4cyl and want to run 33's I would look at a set of 4.56 gears. My YJ had 4.56's and I ran 33's and 31's on it and it was much better with the 33's. The 31's made first gear basically useless. I would start out in second most of the time at red lights. If I used first in traffic, I wasn't even through the intersection before I was shifting into 2nd gear.

All 2.5L's with the manual trans had the 4.10 gears, while the 4cyl auto's had 3.73 gears. It's always good to check your tag on the pumpkin. It's even better to pull the diff cover and look at the tooth count on the ring gear. and do the math to get the exact number. Since you don't know if someone re-geared it and didn't take the tag off.

-Zach
Thanks for the advice. I want to do the gear change when I add lockers. Or could I add Trutrac lockers now?
Zevman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevman View Post
Thanks for the advice. I want to do the gear change when I add lockers. Or could I add Trutrac lockers now?
Zevman,

I would wait and do it all at once. Especially if you don't plan on doing it yourself. Gears are very complicated to install and require a few specialized tools. So paying someone to do an install basically twice just isn't worth it.

Another thing about the Truetrac is that it doesn't work with tires over 33" tall. So if you plan on running anything bigger than that, I would avoid the Truetrac. Other than that it is a good option for a dual purpose rig.

Here is the locker for the rear Dana 35 and unfortunately, we don't have the front one on our site. The part number from Eaton is 912A585. Give one of our Jeep Experts a call and they can get you both set up in an order.

They are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-6PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 800.988.4605. I'll shoot you over our exclusive discount code for Wrangler Forum members, so you can use it for your next order.

Also you can PM me if you have any other questions!

-Zach
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevman View Post
Ok so the 4.0 had the 3.07, now I get it
The 4.0 had 3.07, 3.55 and 3.73. 3.07 and 3.73 being the must common.

__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC