8-9k winch for $300 or less? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Tyr4nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Columbus Indiana
Posts: 153
Ignore the troll please....

__________________
~daniel
2000 Sahara
Tyr4nt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
sakicnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lebanon,TN
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post

You did pay for the name. Warn broke during the test:
Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

If you need your winch to work when you're in a bad situation then you'd better get rid of that Warn.
I may have a Badland winch, but I could afford a Warn, I would buy one today. But my college budget just won't allow that right now. The only problem I had with my winch is that I spool it in while I was almost rolling over, and the cable kinked, but that was my fault and not the winch. So I changed it out to the synthetic the Warn Zeons have, and I freaking love the look and how much stronger it is. Yeah a Warn product on a Harbor Freight winch, how often do you see that lol.
But bottom line, my next winch will be a Warn, these guys know what they are doing, been in business since 74. I know these guys charge a lot for their products but, they also have a dang good reason for it.

sakicnut is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 tj sport View Post
Um the warn also won in the end
Did you read the article? The Warn won because of points from product packaging and labeling. The Engo was the real winner.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
99GoldenSahara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Washington State
Posts: 249
Thanks to everyone for weighing in on winches. I will buy a Warn because a) everyone I've ever known who has one runs one without reservations, and b) it's made in USA which today, I realize, doesn't guarantee eternal quality, but it does support our nation's workers.

The main question I have is between steel and synthetic (nylon or whatever) wire. If I'm only doing moderate off roading, other than the care factor, is there any reason why I would NOT buy a Warn with synthetic line? I like the weight savings since I'm not planning right now to lift my TJ to compensate for the weight on the front. Hopefully I'm not taking this thread beyond it's intended purpose.
99GoldenSahara is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #35
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
Did you read the article? The Warn won because of points from product packaging and labeling. The Engo was the real winner.
I have had two Chinese winches fail on me. A HF, and a Smitty.

I too believe everything I read on the intardnet. So, I am going to ditch my Warn that has not given me one stitch of trouble, and buy an Engo.

TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJfunrun View Post
Thanks to everyone for weighing in on winches. I will buy a Warn because a) everyone I've ever known who has one runs one without reservations, and b) it's made in USA which today, I realize, doesn't guarantee eternal quality, but it does support our nation's workers.

The main question I have is between steel and synthetic (nylon or whatever) wire. If I'm only doing moderate off roading, other than the care factor, is there any reason why I would NOT buy a Warn with synthetic line? I like the weight savings since I'm not planning right now to lift my TJ to compensate for the weight on the front. Hopefully I'm not taking this thread beyond it's intended purpose.
For me, synthetic wins hands down simply because of safety. You can search around other forums and find plenty of pros and cons for both, but at the end of the day I try and do what is the most safe for me and those who I wheel with.

I bought a good synthetic line with a safety thimble as soon as I could afford it, and I don't regret it at all.
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #37
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
TJfunrun,

I am still running a steel line, but it is showing it's age. I will be replacing it with synthetic for all the reasons given above.

I have never run synthetic on my rigs before. But I have had the pleasure of pulling a synthetic line out from my buddy's Jeep on a recent snow run/winch fest. So much easier pulling cable in snow than the heavy steel cable.

That alone, plus the safety factory, is good enough reason for me to spend a little more on a replacement line.
TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #38
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,887
Images: 2
I replaced my first winch's wire rope twice before switching to 3/8" synthetic from Viking Offroad. I'll never go back to wire, synthetic is really worth the extra $$$. By the way, I had three wire ropes kink up & go bad from lots of use in imperfect conditions. In the same length of time, my replacement synthetic rope was still fine the last day I saw it before that TJ was stolen. Synthetic definitely has the potential to significantly outlast wire rope in my personal experience.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
99GoldenSahara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Washington State
Posts: 249
Thanks so much for sharing not only your opinions and information, but also your experience. Definitely Warn and definitely synthetic for me. This thread has cleared up any confusion over winches for me. I'm assuming synthetic needs to be preloaded or "stretched" when new like steel cable. Now to figure out which Warn will work best for me and how much I can justify spending. My TJ is stock so if any of you have advice on mounting the winch to the stock bumper vs an upgraded bumper, feel free to weigh in on that too. Thanks again!
99GoldenSahara is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #40
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
98 tj sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: eden nc
Posts: 1,371
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post

Did you read the article? The Warn won because of points from product packaging and labeling. The Engo was the real winner.
My warn is almost as old as I am (21 yrs) my father in law when he came back from the first tour in iraq back in 91 he ran it on his cj until he sold it 2 yrs ago and replaced it with his tj that he has now, which came with a warn 9.5I and I bought his m8000 from him for 250 it was the first mod I did to the jeep and I haven't regreted it for one min. It still works flawlessly and has never failed me in my 2 yrs of owning it or his 19 yrs of owning it
__________________
98 sport, 4inch skyjacker lift, 35" goodyear wrangler mtrs with kevlar on 15x10 black streetlock wheels, smittybuilt rear bumber with tire carrier, warn m8000 winch, windshield mount hellas, and a rhinolined interior, with aussie locked dana 30 front dana 44 rear with a yukon grizzly locker, 4.10 gears with a 3speed 32rh
98 tj sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 tj sport View Post
My warn is almost as old as I am (21 yrs) my father in law when he came back from the first tour in iraq back in 91 he ran it on his cj until he sold it 2 yrs ago and replaced it with his tj that he has now, which came with a warn 9.5I and I bought his m8000 from him for 250 it was the first mod I did to the jeep and I haven't regreted it for one min. It still works flawlessly and has never failed me in my 2 yrs of owning it or his 19 yrs of owning it
What you're all forgetting is that they don't make things like they used to. Products used to be built to last a lifetime. It's questionable now how much a modern day Warn has in common with the legendary units all of you speak so highly of.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #42
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
What you're all forgetting is that they don't make things like they used to. Products used to be built to last a lifetime. It's questionable now how much a modern day Warn has in common with the legendary units all of you speak so highly of.
And your source for this info is who/what? Your only posts on this forum are in this thread discouraging a Warn purchase. You must of bought a modern day Warn that failed. Which one was it?

If none, then I hate to repeat myself but...................

TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #43
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,887
Images: 2
Theorist is obviously nothing but a troll. Put him on ignore.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #44
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolefansjeep View Post
Ended up buying a Quadratec Q9500is winch with the Dyneema synthetic rope. Yep paid more than $300 but like you guys said a good winch is needed for recovery. It has the same warranty as the Warn just without the price of the name.
I m happy was be able to help ya
Usnrubi143 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #45
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
What you're all forgetting is that they don't make things like they used to. Products used to be built to last a lifetime. It's questionable now how much a modern day Warn has in common with the legendary units all of you speak so highly of.

Agree 100%. The massive winch shootout four wheeler magazine did showed the Warn name doesn't mean what it used to.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #46
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
What you're all forgetting is that they don't make things like they used to. Products used to be built to last a lifetime. It's questionable now how much a modern day Warn has in common with the legendary units all of you speak so highly of.
Agree 100%. The massive winch shootout four wheeler magazine did showed the Warn name doesn't mean what it used to.
Lol, nice to see you agree with yourself.
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #47
Jeeper
 
kshaws21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ga. Mountains
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
...
That's funny, Jerry is the undisputed King of this forum when it comes to Jeep knowledge...
kshaws21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #48
Jeeper
 
kshaws21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ga. Mountains
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post

You did pay for the name. Warn broke during the test:
Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

If you need your winch to work when you're in a bad situation then you'd better get rid of that Warn.
Yep Warn broke on the test after a 16000lb pull on a 9000lb winch. It still won first place in the shoot out which you are linking to.
kshaws21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #49
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshaws21 View Post
That's funny, Jerry is the undisputed King of this forum when it comes to Jeep knowledge...
The fact of the matter is that a winch like the Engo is now proven as an excellent value. There are basically nothing but good reports about them. Someone could then take the $800 they saved by not buying a Warn and buy two lockers, a snorkel, and an air compressor(just one example)

I'm sick and tired of seeing the same responses from the same few members stroking off Warn every time someone asks which winch to get. Your beloved Warn winches are made from Chinese parts. You are doing a great disservice to these people by recommending the winch YOU believe is best and not the winch that is best for them. Your assumptions are based on a level of American manufacturing quality that likely no longer exists.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #50
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshaws21 View Post
That's funny, Jerry is the undisputed King of this forum when it comes to Jeep knowledge...
Good for you kshaws21. You captured his post before he decided to Ninja-edit.

He posts without thinking, edits, replies to his own posts, and talks to himself.

He just proved himself an unreliable source.
TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #51
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Good for you kshaws21. You captured his post before he decided to Ninja-edit.

He posts without thinking, edits, replies to his own posts, and talks to himself.

He just proved himself an unreliable source.
Keep trolling kid. You're one of those same few members I was referring to.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #52
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
A lot of people seem to believe that. But for years now I've seen him giving people bad advice. I was just reading a thread where he was telling people they were in their rights to illegally tresspass!!! Here he is now telling people they need to spend $1000+ on a Warn for occasional use.


The fact of the matter is that a winch like the Engo is now proven as an excellent value. There are basically nothing but good reports about them. Someone could then take the $800 they saved by not buying a Warn and buy two lockers, a snorkel, and an air compressor(just one example)

I'm sick and tired of seeing the same responses from the same few members stroking off Warn every time someone asks which winch to get. Your beloved Warn winches are made from Chinese parts. You are doing a great disservice to these people by recommending the winch YOU believe is best and not the winch that is best for them. Your assumptions are based on a level of American manufacturing quality that likely no longer exists.
And another edited post. What was wrong with your first one?

Now you are recommending a Chinese winch and a snorkel with the money saved. I already admitted going cheap on my HF and Smitty winches that both failed. How much did I save? -$600.00. Yep, that's a minus, a negative amount of dollars. Good value!

I went cheap on my snorkel too.

TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #53
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
And another edited post. What was wrong with your first one?

Now you are recommending a Chinese winch and a snorkel with the money saved. I already admitted going cheap on my HF and Smitty winches that both failed. How much did I save? -$600.00. Yep, that's a minus, a negative amount of dollars. Good value!

I went cheap on my snorkel too.

When did I recommend HF? They are cheap pieces of @$$$$@@You should research Engo a little bit more before you embarrass yourself further.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #54
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
Keep trolling kid. You're one of those same few members I was referring to.
Well I apologize then. I was just posting my personal experience. We have yet to hear yours.

And if you are calling me a kid, you must be over 90 years old.

But, I appreciate the compliment. Thank-you.
TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #55
Jeeper
 
kshaws21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ga. Mountains
Posts: 1,092
The one thing I do agree with Theorist on is the current level of American craftsmanship. There is not much out there American made these days that is superior to the foreign equivalent.
I have been driving Nissans and Toyotas as our family vehicles for many years as there isn't an American car as reliable for the price.
I had toys as a child that I played with very roughly and was still able to pass on to my son, nowadays nobody makes children's toys that last for any measurable amount of time.
kshaws21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #56
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
The fact of the matter is that Warn is overpriced. The cheaper Engo will likely perform just as well, last nearly as long, and leave hundreds of dollars in your wallet for other mods. It IS the better option for many people. Only those who have more money than they know how to spend or winch for a living should go with the Warn. Until someone can offer any proof that the Engo is not a good value then I will consider this case closed.

All I'm hearing now is the same old Warn good China bad. Ignoring the fact the Warn is made of China parts and that I'm not referring to just any Chinese winch. I'm talking about Engo specifically.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #57
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
The fact of the matter is that Warn is overpriced. The cheaper Engo will likely perform just as well, last nearly as long, and leave hundreds of dollars in your wallet for other mods. It IS the better option for many people. Only those who have more money than they know how to spend or winch for a living should go with the Warn. Until someone can offer any proof that the Engo is not a good value then I will consider this case closed. All I'm hearing now is the same old Warn good China bad. Ignoring the fact the Warn is made of China parts and that I'm not referring to just any Chinese winch. I'm talking about Engo specifically.
Unfortunately with you not providing any evidence other than "you say so", you're doing nothing more than talking out of your ass like everyone else. The case is closed merely because you can't provide enough of an argument to continue it.
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #58
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
When did I recommend HF? They are cheap pieces of shit. You should research Engo a little bit more before you embarrass yourself further.
Ok. I researched. Must have been an off day for me by not posting in this thread praising Warn.

Engo winch failure, suggestions
TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #59
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Ok. I researched. Must have been an off day for me by not posting in this thread praising Warn.

Engo winch failure, suggestions
Warn winch failure - Brute Central Forums
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/w...led-me-330353/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...h-failure.html

It's worth mentioning in the thread you linked that his issue was resolved promptly with excellent customer service. As both of our links prove, no brand is immune to failure.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #60
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post
It's worth mentioning in the thread you linked that his issue was resolved promptly with excellent customer service. As both of our links prove, no brand is immune to failure.
Finally something we can both agree on. Yes the Engo problem was resolved quickly, that is good. And I only read your JF link posted in 2006. Seems it was due to owner neglect, which could kill any winch.

TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC