8-9k winch for $300 or less? - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #61
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Ok. I researched. Must have been an off day for me by not posting in this thread praising Warn.

Engo winch failure, suggestions

Since you are citing my thread and all, It's worth mentioning that I am still completely happy with my Engo, they sent me the part that broke because I have a lifetime mechanical warranty, and the part that broke was due to a manufacturing error where the coupler was places opposite of how it was supposed to be, which causes failure of the e brake. And easy fix if your winch was one made during the short time period this error occured, and again easily fixed if yours does happen to go. Engo has proven to be a top notch with great customer service. My 9k pulled my jeep with a bent tie rod, resulting in zero steering, out of the rocks and out of the trail without an issue. It had done a ton of pulls that were VERY rough. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again. I have several friends all running the same winch with zero issues. I am the only one who has had a problem, and I have used mine quite a good bit over the past 2 years. Everything looks good as far as electronics go, the thing is water proof and I take care of it. 10 years from now we can look back and see if the winch is still running, and how the quality of current Warns compare. For now, I am happy with and confident in my Engo winch.

__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #62
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
98 tj sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: eden nc
Posts: 1,316
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post

I'm sick and tired of seeing the same responses from the same few members stroking off Warn every time someone asks which winch to get. Your beloved Warn winches are made from Chinese parts. You are doing a great disservice to these people by recommending the winch YOU believe is best and not the winch that is best for them. Your assumptions are based on a level of American manufacturing quality that likely no longer exists.
I'm pretty sure the guy was asking everyones OPINION which is what people believe to be and is in their experience that they have been in true. U have ur opinion I have mine and everyone else has theirs, and as my father in law always says" opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one but they don't all smell good." u keep buying ur cheap mods, which ur obviosly doing if u can get 2 lockers, a snorkel( which are pieces of crap when installed with out doing other things) and an air compresser for 800 bucks, hell just my 1 locker in the rear( yukon grizzly) runs around 700 by itself and it isn't even a selectable which runs around 1000 each, so ill have my OPINION which is what the op asked for and u have urs, and quit trolling

__________________
98 sport, 4inch skyjacker lift, 35" goodyear wrangler mtrs with kevlar on 15x10 black streetlock wheels, smittybuilt rear bumber with tire carrier, warn m8000 winch, windshield mount hellas, and a rhinolined interior, with aussie locked dana 30 front dana 44 rear with a yukon grizzly locker, 4.10 gears with a 3speed 32rh
98 tj sport is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #63
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 tj sport View Post
I'm pretty sure the guy was asking everyones OPINION which is what people believe to be and is in their experience that they have been in true. U have ur opinion I have mine and everyone else has theirs, and as my father in law always says" opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one but they don't all smell good." u keep buying ur cheap mods, which ur obviosly doing if u can get 2 lockers, a snorkel( which are pieces of crap when installed with out doing other things) and an air compresser for 800 bucks, hell just my 1 locker in the rear( yukon grizzly) runs arould 700 by itself and it isn't even a selectable which runs around 1000 each, so ill have my OPINION which is what the op asked for and u have urs, and quit trolling

I'm not trolling. And I take offense to the repeated accusations of it. The lockers(aussie), snorkel, compressor(cheap portable kind), was just a quick example of what someone might spend the large amount of saved money on. You're overthinking it.

My point is that this isn't about opinions. It's about the same Warn fanboys giving bad advice to people over and over again. It's about them saying that it's a Warn or nothing. A Warn isn't the only option. You are hurting the jeep community with that kind of response. You have no good advice for someone who doesn't have that much money to spend on a winch. You say that they have no option and all they will get is a cheap piece of crap that will break down when they need it most. But that is not proving to be true with a winch like the Engo. I've also not yet seen a reasonable response to my point about modern day vs vintage Warn winches.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #64
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: north carolina
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post

The fact of the matter is that a winch like the Engo is now proven as an excellent value. There are basically nothing but good reports about them. Someone could then take the $800 they saved by not buying a Warn and buy two lockers, a snorkel, and an air compressor(just one example)

I'm sick and tired of seeing the same responses from the same few members stroking off Warn every time someone asks which winch to get. Your beloved Warn winches are made from Chinese parts. You are doing a great disservice to these people by recommending the winch YOU believe is best and not the winch that is best for them. Your assumptions are based on a level of American manufacturing quality that likely no longer exists.
Mr theorist this forum is not for bashing its members if that is your intention then maybe you need join a different forum Jerry has indeed helped many including myself fix there jeeps when they were in a tight spot so if you want to buy a non American made product go ahead no one said you couldn't it's your jeep and possibly your life that will ultimately be depending on that product.
dirtdigger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #65
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,397
Let's keep this thread on topic...and respectful. We are here to discuss winches.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #66
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post

No I'm just saying that it's different in every state. In a lot of states it's an easement on private land. People should research their own state laws instead of relying on a post in a thread.
I agree. But if they ask I'll give them my personal experience.

Now back to the intention of the thread. I'm tried of dragging this one down. Sorry to the members who are getting information from this.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #67
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
Let's keep this thread on topic...and respectful. We are here to discuss winches.

Get em'!
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #68
Commercial Member JeepsOnTrails

WF Supporting Member
 
lee indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Middle Georgia
Posts: 4,931
this thread got real stupid there for a minute.

the thread is 300 dollar winch.
warn doesnt count.
i have and engo and sold my smitty to get it.
ask a few on here how much abuse they take.
the engo does one thing better than the smitty.
spoll out. wow its easy.
lee indy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #69
I like Jeeps...

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post

My 9k pulled my jeep with a bent tie rod, resulting in zero steering, out of the rocks and out of the trail without an issue. It had done a ton of pulls that were VERY rough. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again. I have several friends all running the same winch with zero issues. I am the only one who has had a problem, and I have used mine quite a good bit over the past 2 years. Everything looks good as far as electronics go, the thing is water proof and I take care of it. 10 years from now we can look back and see if the winch is still running, and how the quality of current Warns compare. For now, I am happy with and confident in my Engo winch.
I had a similar experience with my Engo 9000lb winch. I was on a steep hill and there was a large rock in front of me. (The top of the rock was up a couple inches higher than my tie rod) I tried to back up little bits and turn, but the dust covered granite rock just didn't provide enough traction and I simply slid back where I was. I spooled my winch out to the last layer, meaning somewhere around 80'. The winch dragged my whole jeep over the rock, rolling it underneath as it went, then up the rest of the hill because the rock jammed the tie rod and steering arm meeting joint into the axle track bar mount, making me unable to steer. I tied the track bar to a tree and unbent it. Looks like I need a steering upgrade! I am very happy with my winch and it has been outside every day since I got it, under water, snow, and mud.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
Take it out and play with it
Drive it like you built it
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #70
Jeeper
 
BamaRolln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oak Mtn Area (Bham, AL)
Posts: 200
The thread is about:

Quote:
I am looking for a winch that is good quality for $300 or less.
Unless the warn fanboys want to give reasons to buy a used warn they are out of this discussion because there are no new warns for $300 or less.

Every time someone asks this question it is impossible to get feedback or reviews on $300 winches without having to wade through a bunch of WARN WARN WARN WARN WARN.

We get it. Warn. We know that. That isn't what we ask about when we ask for a good $300 winch.

Stop turning every one of these threads into a "better get a warn or you'll be sorry, your grandkids will never be born because you were stuck in the woods too long" rants.

BMW's are a hell of a lot better than Kia's. If you can't afford a used BMW you better start walking. Don't you dare buy a Kia.

I wouldn't dare make an argument against a warn. But the guy didn't ask which is better, a warn or a (insert any $300 winch here).

I ended up going with the Quadratec. I'll be sure to come on here and post when it fails me. I'm not going to post about every time it works.
BamaRolln is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRolln View Post

We get it. Warn. We know that. That isn't what we ask about when we ask for a good $300 winch.
The trouble is people ask for a good winch that is cheap. There is no good $300 winch. And then you have knowledgeable people such as Jerry try to help you out. If you think he is going to recommend some Chinese crap as being good your wrong. 99% of people put winches on their jeeps for looks. If you fall into this category by all means buy a cheap winch. If you fall into the 1% who actually use their winch more than once or twice a year by a good one.
__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Rubi513 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #72
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
There is no good $300 winch.

That statement is not factual. The Engo has proven itself to be a fine winch for $300.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
kshaws21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ga. Mountains
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorist View Post

That statement is not factual. The Engo has proven itself to be a fine winch for $300.
Theorist on a side note you have called people Warn fanboys, by association since you have only talked them up, are you an Engo fanboy?
kshaws21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #74
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshaws21 View Post
Theorist on a side note you have called people Warn fanboys, by association since you have only talked them up, are you an Engo fanboy?
Nope. I've done extensive research and found them to be an excellent value. I'm trying to provide an alternative for the budget-minded members of the community instead of the same old Warn Warn Warn. The topic of the thread is Winch for $300 or less. Not all chinese winches are created equal and I do not recommend HF or Smitty. The Engo stands out as a reliable option with an excellent warranty.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #75
Supporting Vendor
 
JeepAddOns-Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,095
I know most people on this board equate the Engos with our company because of the deals we offer on them and we sell a ton of Engo products. I recommend them for anyone that is on a budget that is looking for a quality winch at a budget price. The failure and problem rates on Engo are vastly fewer than any other budget line on the market. However, for every Engo that we sell, I'd say we probably sell about 15 Warn winches. Is an Engo the same quality winch as a Warn Zeon? Of course not. Are all Engo products made in China? No, they have a few products that are made stateside (bumpers, light bar mounts etc). Are all Warn products made stateside? I just walked into the warehouse and looked at the country of origin and they have some that are made in places like Italy, Taiwan and China (a few smaller ATV winches, lights etc).

As good as I believe the Engos are, Warn is still the best winch on the market today. Engos are the best value in terms of price point and quality. Warn is the best value if you're looking for the best winch on the market. If you've got the coin, drop it on the Warn. If you don't, look for a winch that fits your budget that is the least likely to leave you stranded. That's where the Engo comes in.

I've been wheeling a lot longer than I've worked in this industry and I've seen every winch fail on the trail. I've seen Smittys break, Rugged Ridge grenade, Mile Marker failed solenoids, Superwinch smoking and even dead Warn winches. It happens. Just because you put an import winch on your rig doesn't mean that your Jeep is going to spontaneously combust. On the opposite end, just because you put the most expensive winch on your vehicle doesn't 100% mean it's going to work while the choir of angels sing and beams of light shine down upon you.

Bottom line is that everyone should get the best quality winch that they can afford. Warn has proven themselves over the years and Engo is making a darn good name for themselves within the short time that they've been around.
__________________
We are currently away from the forums and unavailable for quotes. Please contact our sales team at 800-388-8637.
JeepAddOns-Chris is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #76
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife View Post
I had a similar experience with my Engo 9000lb winch. I was on a steep hill and there was a large rock in front of me. (The top of the rock was up a couple inches higher than my tie rod) I tried to back up little bits and turn, but the dust covered granite rock just didn't provide enough traction and I simply slid back where I was. I spooled my winch out to the last layer, meaning somewhere around 80'. The winch dragged my whole jeep over the rock, rolling it underneath as it went, then up the rest of the hill because the rock jammed the tie rod and steering arm meeting joint into the axle track bar mount, making me unable to steer. I tied the track bar to a tree and unbent it. Looks like I need a steering upgrade! I am very happy with my winch and it has been outside every day since I got it, under water, snow, and mud.
My tie rod was bent up into the steering stabilizer like a rainbow. We had to completely remove it to straighten. I have a zj V8 in the garage now. Eventually going to DOM. These winches are stout.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAddOns-Chris View Post
I know most people on this board equate the Engos with our company because of the deals we offer on them and we sell a ton of Engo products. I recommend them for anyone that is on a budget that is looking for a quality winch at a budget price. The failure and problem rates on Engo are vastly fewer than any other budget line on the market. However, for every Engo that we sell, I'd say we probably sell about 15 Warn winches. Is an Engo the same quality winch as a Warn Zeon? Of course not. Are all Engo products made in China? No, they have a few products that are made stateside (bumpers, light bar mounts etc). Are all Warn products made stateside? I just walked into the warehouse and looked at the country of origin and they have some that are made in places like Italy, Taiwan and China (a few smaller ATV winches, lights etc).

As good as I believe the Engos are, Warn is still the best winch on the market today. Engos are the best value in terms of price point and quality. Warn is the best value if you're looking for the best winch on the market. If you've got the coin, drop it on the Warn. If you don't, look for a winch that fits your budget that is the least likely to leave you stranded. That's where the Engo comes in.

I've been wheeling a lot longer than I've worked in this industry and I've seen every winch fail on the trail. I've seen Smittys break, Rugged Ridge grenade, Mile Marker failed solenoids, Superwinch smoking and even dead Warn winches. It happens. Just because you put an import winch on your rig doesn't mean that your Jeep is going to spontaneously combust. On the opposite end, just because you put the most expensive winch on your vehicle doesn't 100% mean it's going to work while the choir of angels sing and beams of light shine down upon you.

Bottom line is that everyone should get the best quality winch that they can afford. Warn has proven themselves over the years and Engo is making a darn good name for themselves within the short time that they've been around.
Great post Chris.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #77
Jeeper
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAddOns-Chris View Post
I know most people on this board equate the Engos with our company because of the deals we offer on them and we sell a ton of Engo products. I recommend them for anyone that is on a budget that is looking for a quality winch at a budget price. The failure and problem rates on Engo are vastly fewer than any other budget line on the market. However, for every Engo that we sell, I'd say we probably sell about 15 Warn winches. Is an Engo the same quality winch as a Warn Zeon? Of course not. Are all Engo products made in China? No, they have a few products that are made stateside (bumpers, light bar mounts etc). Are all Warn products made stateside? I just walked into the warehouse and looked at the country of origin and they have some that are made in places like Italy, Taiwan and China (a few smaller ATV winches, lights etc).

As good as I believe the Engos are, Warn is still the best winch on the market today. Engos are the best value in terms of price point and quality. Warn is the best value if you're looking for the best winch on the market. If you've got the coin, drop it on the Warn. If you don't, look for a winch that fits your budget that is the least likely to leave you stranded. That's where the Engo comes in.

I've been wheeling a lot longer than I've worked in this industry and I've seen every winch fail on the trail. I've seen Smittys break, Rugged Ridge grenade, Mile Marker failed solenoids, Superwinch smoking and even dead Warn winches. It happens. Just because you put an import winch on your rig doesn't mean that your Jeep is going to spontaneously combust. On the opposite end, just because you put the most expensive winch on your vehicle doesn't 100% mean it's going to work while the choir of angels sing and beams of light shine down upon you.

Bottom line is that everyone should get the best quality winch that they can afford. Warn has proven themselves over the years and Engo is making a darn good name for themselves within the short time that they've been around.
Nice Post.
__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Rubi513 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #78
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,194
Images: 2
X3 on Chris's enlightened post and take on winches.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #79
JYD
Jeeper
 
JYD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 108
I went with the Quadratec Q9000 and used it twice with no problems before I sold my YJ. It fits the profile in the OP.
JYD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #80
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danifhelle View Post
Your only kidding yourself if you think it's as good as a WARN though.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #81
JYD
Jeeper
 
JYD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danifhelle View Post
Your only kidding yourself if you think it's as good as a WARN though.
I never said it was as good as a Warn but it was less than $300 and I can buy and break 3 of them for the same price as a Warn!
JYD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #82
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYD View Post
I never said it was as good as a Warn but it was less than $300 and I can buy and break 3 of them for the same price as a Warn!
Dont mind that post guys...he was a Spammer.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #83
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,194
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYD View Post
I never said it was as good as a Warn but it was less than $300 and I can buy and break 3 of them for the same price as a Warn!
So long as your winch doesn't break when you really need it to get back to camp. The more remote and difficult the trail, the more important the winch's reliability and quality becomes.

To me, because my TJ is sometimes 50 miles from the nearest services, a winch is something that could be critical to survival. I won't bet against the odds on anything I consider important. I also include water pumps, alternators, starter motors, sensors, axle shafts, etc. in that list of items where I will only buy best or OE quality.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #84
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAddOns-Chris View Post
I know most people on this board equate the Engos with our company because of the deals we offer on them and we sell a ton of Engo products. I recommend them for anyone that is on a budget that is looking for a quality winch at a budget price. The failure and problem rates on Engo are vastly fewer than any other budget line on the market. However, for every Engo that we sell, I'd say we probably sell about 15 Warn winches. Is an Engo the same quality winch as a Warn Zeon? Of course not. Are all Engo products made in China? No, they have a few products that are made stateside (bumpers, light bar mounts etc). Are all Warn products made stateside? I just walked into the warehouse and looked at the country of origin and they have some that are made in places like Italy, Taiwan and China (a few smaller ATV winches, lights etc).

As good as I believe the Engos are, Warn is still the best winch on the market today. Engos are the best value in terms of price point and quality. Warn is the best value if you're looking for the best winch on the market. If you've got the coin, drop it on the Warn. If you don't, look for a winch that fits your budget that is the least likely to leave you stranded. That's where the Engo comes in.

I've been wheeling a lot longer than I've worked in this industry and I've seen every winch fail on the trail. I've seen Smittys break, Rugged Ridge grenade, Mile Marker failed solenoids, Superwinch smoking and even dead Warn winches. It happens. Just because you put an import winch on your rig doesn't mean that your Jeep is going to spontaneously combust. On the opposite end, just because you put the most expensive winch on your vehicle doesn't 100% mean it's going to work while the choir of angels sing and beams of light shine down upon you.

Bottom line is that everyone should get the best quality winch that they can afford. Warn has proven themselves over the years and Engo is making a darn good name for themselves within the short time that they've been around.
Well said.
Theorist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #85
Jeeper
 
Gixxer86g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Lost Valley of Manville NJ
Posts: 625
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRolln View Post
The thread is about:



Unless the warn fanboys want to give reasons to buy a used warn they are out of this discussion because there are no new warns for $300 or less.

Every time someone asks this question it is impossible to get feedback or reviews on $300 winches without having to wade through a bunch of WARN WARN WARN WARN WARN.

We get it. Warn. We know that. That isn't what we ask about when we ask for a good $300 winch.

Stop turning every one of these threads into a "better get a warn or you'll be sorry, your grandkids will never be born because you were stuck in the woods too long" rants.

BMW's are a hell of a lot better than Kia's. If you can't afford a used BMW you better start walking. Don't you dare buy a Kia.

I wouldn't dare make an argument against a warn. But the guy didn't ask which is better, a warn or a (insert any $300 winch here).

I ended up going with the Quadratec. I'll be sure to come on here and post when it fails me. I'm not going to post about every time it works.

Well said!
__________________
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…” -Hunter S. Thompson
Gixxer86g is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #86
Jeeper
 
Gixxer86g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Lost Valley of Manville NJ
Posts: 625
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
So long as your winch doesn't break when you really need it to get back to camp. The more remote and difficult the trail, the more important the winch's reliability and quality becomes.

To me, because my TJ is sometimes 50 miles from the nearest services, a winch is something that could be critical to survival. I won't bet against the odds on anything I consider important. I also include water pumps, alternators, starter motors, sensors, axle shafts, etc. in that list of items where I will only buy best or OE quality.
Jerry, I completely agree.

However, I did Mopar parts for 12 years before I went to aftermarket parts. The OE stuff fails a lot....... (fuel pumps)

Like I said, Warn's quality isn't being disputed here. It's just that there is some decent quality stuff coming out of China. You just have to research it.

For instance, a lot of National/BCA stuff comes out of China, and it's top shelf. We stock Gren rotors and drums. They are China. They are priced like "white box" stuff, but the quality is much closer to premium.

The point is, there is some stuff that comes out of China that can compete. It seems Engo is one of those places. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the Quadratecs come from the same factory.
__________________
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…” -Hunter S. Thompson
Gixxer86g is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #87
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,194
Images: 2
While I have no doubt China is capable of producing high quality products, I still believe in spending my $$$ on products made, as much as possible at least, in America. Our economy is in shambles & too much of our $$$ is flowing out of the U.S. from where it could help American families, to instead helping the Chinese.

My feeling is I will buy American whenever I can. And on discretionary spending like for Jeep parts, I darned sure will. The less $$$ we send to China & the more $$$ we spend with American manufacturers who employ Americans, the happier I am and the better off we all will be. Too bad more Americans don't see it that way. They'll buy something because it is cheaper no matter where it is made. Not me. If a product manufactured in the U.S. of mainly U.S. manufactured parts with a small percentage of foreign-made parts, that is way preferable to me than to buy something that is 100% made in China.

I'll happily pay more for a product manufactured in the U.S. than a Chinese product. I believe in supporting American manufacturing, not Chinese.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #88
Jeeper
 
ohsixlj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 141
Jerry, I agree with you and definitely try to buy American when possible. Grew up in a union family and it is in my blood. Just remember even parts manufactured in China have to be shipped in the US. Employing American customs personnel, shipping/delivery personnel as well as American vendors that purchase the items and redistribute them. This is the only thing that gives me some peace of mind when I have to purchase something fabricating anywhere other than the good ol USA.
__________________
Wheel What Ya Got!!!
ohsixlj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #89
Jeeper
 
sakicnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lebanon,TN
Posts: 414
It's all about how you take care of the winch anyway. That determines how long it will last
sakicnut is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #90
Jeeper
 
Gixxer86g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Lost Valley of Manville NJ
Posts: 625
Images: 2
And another thing, OE Mopar parts come from every continent.

__________________
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…” -Hunter S. Thompson
Gixxer86g is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC