96-02 vs 03-06 ? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 89
96-02 vs 03-06 ?

I have seen some of the suspension lift companies list their kits with date ranges from 97-02 & 03-06 for the TJ. I know the Rubicon came out in 03, but does anyone know the "details" in the difference of these kits? I have the 03 Rubicon, and am looking at the 3" or 4" lift to put 33" tires on it. I am aware of the SYE, but understand it may not be needed on the Rubicon. Is that all? Just looking to clarify so I can start deciding which system to go with, without waisting money, time, and unnecessary components! All details would be appreciated! Thanks!

Tomb Raider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Custom JEEP Decals
 
TJe0454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,478
if u have an 03 rubicon, get the 03 kit...and please change the 96 out of the thread title. there were no 96 wranglers...

__________________
I brake for humans.
Maryland Flag JEEP Stickers!!

My 3/4 link build
TJe0454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
NHrubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 844
Images: 1
Rubicon came stock from the factory with SYE so no, you don't need one. Already there. I have an 03 rubicon and put a Rough Country 4" lift kit-one thing I found out (and I wasn't the first) is to leave the pitman arm alone. Putting on the dropped pitman arm with the kit screwed up the front end-wobble in the steering, clanging and banging, etc. so several other rubicon owners said you don't need it-put the stock one back on. Spray everything with PB blaster for several days before you start-we had to cut out rear shock mount bolts they were seized up. Make sure the kit you get comes with shocks, bump stops, you are going to need them. I'm running 33x12.5x15 Cepek crushers and still have plenty of room so you will have no problem with space for them.
NHrubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
StinkyMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roselle, IL
Posts: 485
Images: 7
03 is when the 2.4 liter 4 popper replaced the 2.5. 03 also started the NV1550 trans that replaced the AX5 on the 4 poppers.. Also (as you know) in 2003 the Rubicon made it's debut.

Other then that and a few cosmetic changes, I'm not sure of any other differences.
__________________
"Here, hold my beer. I wanna try something"

Jeff & Angel http://ddoffroad.com/
- 2004 TJ SE 2.4 5 speed, 3" lift with 31's
- 1989 YJ 4.2 5 speed, with 7" lift and 33's
StinkyMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJe0454
if u have an 03 rubicon, get the 03 kit...and please change the 96 out of the thread title. there were no 96 wranglers...
Wow...bad mistake...I do apologize! Sad thing is, I looked, and looked before I wrote as to not look the fool...too late! Thanks for the good morning face slap...I guess I needed that!
Tomb Raider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Tomb Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHrubicon
Rubicon came stock from the factory with SYE so no, you don't need one. Already there. I have an 03 rubicon and put a Rough Country 4" lift kit-one thing I found out (and I wasn't the first) is to leave the pitman arm alone. Putting on the dropped pitman arm with the kit screwed up the front end-wobble in the steering, clanging and banging, etc. so several other rubicon owners said you don't need it-put the stock one back on. Spray everything with PB blaster for several days before you start-we had to cut out rear shock mount bolts they were seized up. Make sure the kit you get comes with shocks, bump stops, you are going to need them. I'm running 33x12.5x15 Cepek crushers and still have plenty of room so you will have no problem with space for them.
Not to beat a dead horse, but no TC drop, and stock pitman is correct? There are no "drive angles" to be concerned with? Also does that mean an "03 kit" might not come with a drop kit for the TC? What about opinions on "long arm" and (one I have no clue about), "flex"? Is that adjustable arm? Thanks!
Tomb Raider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Custom JEEP Decals
 
TJe0454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but no TC drop, and stock pitman is correct? There are no "drive angles" to be concerned with? Also does that mean an "03 kit" might not come with a drop kit for the TC? What about opinions on "long arm" and (one I have no clue about), "flex"? Is that adjustable arm? Thanks!
with 4 inches of lift u wont need a drop pitman arm. and no tcase drop. you should get a cv drive shaft however.

__________________
I brake for humans.
Maryland Flag JEEP Stickers!!

My 3/4 link build
TJe0454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC