accident this morning - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Jeepy724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 37
accident this morning

Soo I started my morning great. I was pulling into the entrance to my school and the car in front of me decided they didn't wanna go in the entrance, even though they were already there. So they slammed the breaks and threw it in reverse and backed into me as I slammed into them. What ta rush. Just kidding. So I go to push the brake and its dead, I get out and there's brake fluid pouring onto the road. So I then had to wait for a flatbed to come pick up my baby. There was damage to the brake lines, bumper and fog lights and that's just the obvious. My question is do you all think I will get a sufficient amount of money on top of the money it costs to fix... I need a new bumper and lift kit and hope that I can get them with the insurance money!

Jeepy724 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
George Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 760
You never make money off of an accident.

The only way to end up with money for other uses is to not repair something or perform the work yourself

George Ross is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Fix your junk and move on. Looking to profit only puts money in lawyers pockets.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Jeepy724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 37
yeaaah i know but i dont want to be down and out money
Jeepy724 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy724 View Post
yeaaah i know but i dont want to be down and out money
I'm not saying all of the repairs should come out of your pocket. You should get the amount of money to repair your stuff including labor or your time if repairing on your own. What I don't like is the sue-happy people that drive up the cost of mandatory insurance whether it is healthcare or car insurance.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
JeepersDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 107
You are entitled to be made "whole", regardless of which insurance actually is responsible for the funding....assumption that there is insurance involved. As stated previously, it doesn't matter who does the repairs, you are entitled to be made whole in every way. That includes diminished value due to the accident, valid repairs, with parts and labor at fair market value.
JeepersDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
LukeEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy724 View Post
do you all think I will get a sufficient amount of money on top of the money it costs to fix...
on top of? As in profit from the accident?
LukeEC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
mfarr75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 162
I hope you had cops at the scene to record your version of events. People being how they are, I am shocked the idiot driver in front of you has not claimed that you rear-ended him/her. Usually in rear enders the insurance company claims people will assume that the driver in the rear caused the accident. Unless their own insured admits to reversing, it is usually very hard to get the insurer to pay up on a claim.

I was hit in the rear driver's quarter panel by an idiot backing out of a parking spot. I had already backed out of my spot and was on my way forward when she backed right into me. She admitted to it being her fault at the scene, but then after I made the insurance claim all of a sudden she was claiming that I was at fault at least 50%. I had to go to court because her insurer claimed we both rear ended eachother and were each half liable! I ended up settling for less than full value with her ball-breaking insurer versus sitting in municipal court all day long waiting for the case to be heard.
mfarr75 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
vertical horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepersDave View Post
You are entitled to be made "whole"...
This is called returning you to "pre-loss condition".
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepersDave View Post
...assumption that there is insurance involved.
Assuming that there is FULL COVERAGE insurance involved. Even though the other guy backed into you, IF it is decided that YOU have to pay for the repairs, if you only have LIABILITY insurance, your ins company will not pay for your car to be restored to PRE-LOSS condition.
__________________
2003 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L, Automatic, Stock, Full Metal Doors, Half Doors, Running 31x10.50x15s
vertical horizons is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Jeepy724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 37
The funny part about the situation is that the cop has an identical twin of my jeep. He said he would make it very clear that it was her fault in the police report.
Jeepy724 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Wattapunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy724 View Post
The funny part about the situation is that the cop has an identical twin of my jeep. He said he would make it very clear that it was her fault in the police report.
What luck,lol. The bonding of a fellow Jeeper. Tow it to a shop and get an estimate for her insurance to cut you a check(make sure the shop include the cost to tow it back to your place). Then use that money to fix it yourself and keep the rest for an upgraded bumper. It doesn't sound like that bad of an accident. The main fix is the brake line and the bumper will be upgraded anyways.
Wattapunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,826
Assuming it is their fault and they have insurance or is their fault and you have uninsured motorist insurance that should cover all the repair costs. The other thing I would recommend is do not sign off on the papers settling with the insurance company until the complete deal is done, in other words don't signoff that there are no health costs until they cut you the check for the car repair. don't try to cheat and Claim health cost but they are much more motivated to settle and pay off the repair bill while the potential for health cost is still hanging over their head They always want you to sign that you have no injury but tell them that you won't sign any agreement until total deal is on the table. Unfortunately as you are not their client they have little interest in being quick and forthright but they have a very large interest in insuring no injury cost is coming their way so as long as that is still potentially hanging over their head they will deal with you faster and more equitably
Digger84 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
vertical horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ross View Post
You never make money off of an accident...
Unless you're one of them "ambulance chasing" attorneys. LOL.
__________________
2003 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L, Automatic, Stock, Full Metal Doors, Half Doors, Running 31x10.50x15s
vertical horizons is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
vertical horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,681
My jeep only has the stock bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy724 View Post
... There was damage to the brake lines, bumper and fog lights ...
This is why I want to install something like a "stinger" bumper. I want something that really sticks way out there in front of me, between me and the knucklehead in front of me, in case something like this happens to me. The more steel between me & the nut in front of my jeep, the better. I drive safe, and I have a clean driving record. But, for the times where an accident is unavoidable, I'd rather just have to replace a bumper, than have to replace everything BEHIND the bumper. Compare the cost of one bumper against the cost of 1 or both fenders, the stock bumper, the headlights, radiator & possibly the radiator fan. Depending on the severity of the collision, maybe even an alignment, as well. It just makes good sense to me to look at getting some sort of bumper that sticks out away from the jeep, to possibly slow down and minimize some of the damage to your vehicle. Even if it means getting a bumper that, because if the angled, frontal slope of the bumper, climbs upward onto the vehicle in front of you. I'm not looking to hurt anyone because the jeep climbs upward in a collision. I'm just thinking about saving my jeep from as much damage as possible.
__________________
2003 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L, Automatic, Stock, Full Metal Doors, Half Doors, Running 31x10.50x15s
vertical horizons is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Jeepy724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 37
Horizons younhave a great point sir if you find a bumper like that post it on here because I cant deal with this again. The police report states that she backed into me the wrong way down a one way but when talking to the other insurance company they stated to make sure that the shop isnt charging me money for storage because it will be a couple weeks before they come and look at it... isthis a joke? I guess my point is its snowing! I want my damn jeep asap. How do I speed up this process???
Jeepy724 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
vertical horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,681
My boss' jeep has an angled bumper. "Smittybilt", I think. That thing is so poorly made, you can easily shake it with one hand. It feels like it is made out of the thinnest metal possible. I don't think that bumper is going to do him any good in a collision.
If he drives the Jeep to work tomorrow, I'll try to take a video of how shaky it is.
__________________
2003 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L, Automatic, Stock, Full Metal Doors, Half Doors, Running 31x10.50x15s
vertical horizons is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Norcal73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertical horizons View Post
My boss' jeep has an angled bumper. "Smittybilt", I think. That thing is so poorly made, you can easily shake it with one hand. It feels like it is made out of the thinnest metal possible. I don't think that bumper is going to do him any good in a collision. If he drives the Jeep to work tomorrow, I'll try to take a video of how shaky it is.
Bad career move buddy....dont want to be bashing the guys ride that supplies your paycheck! Haha
Norcal73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
acf5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertical horizons View Post
My boss' jeep has an angled bumper. "Smittybilt", I think. That thing is so poorly made, you can easily shake it with one hand. It feels like it is made out of the thinnest metal possible. I don't think that bumper is going to do him any good in a collision. If he drives the Jeep to work tomorrow, I'll try to take a video of how shaky it is.
Must have been put in wrong and/or loose bolts
My Smittybilt is solid
acf5 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
vertical horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal73 View Post
Bad career move buddy....dont want to be bashing the guys ride that supplies your paycheck! Haha
Well I wouldn't let him actually SEE me taking the video.
__________________
2003 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L, Automatic, Stock, Full Metal Doors, Half Doors, Running 31x10.50x15s
vertical horizons is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,548
Images: 2
Start getting estimates for everything. Start with a couple of dealerships and then go to one of those perfect restoration shop for vintage vehicles. These will give you the highest estimates. Then, you can shop around, and find a guy you feel that you can trust, to do the work cheaper. You can pocket the profit. You should also get reimbursed for the cost of towing, and maybe rental car usage, while you vehicle is down for repairs. If you can get a lump sum rental payment, and if you have another vehicle yourself, you can save that money too. I see nothing wrong with pocketing a little money after your troubles. Although, I don't think its right when shaddy lawyers get involved and claim injuries that never took place.

Note though, after an accident your Jeep will likely never be the same. It may hurt the resale value too.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Jeepy724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 37
Soo in recent news the other insurance company sent out an appraiser and iI got a call this morning. They said that my brake lines were rotted and that it was a maintenance issue and therefore the brakes were not a part of the accident. they worked fine before the idiot tried to back the wrong way onto a main road directly into me. They estimated 300$ for bumper anfog lights. And nothing for the brakes or tow or rental car. How dI go about figtning this because I'm not accepting that at all
Jeepy724 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
idiot magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 547
You're lucky the brakes went when they did or you would be talking about your completely totaled Jeep. My friends Jeep had a brake line blow out leaving my house and used a tree in the driveway to stop. He was heading to the interstate for a 3 hour drive which could have been a disaster.
I understand why the insurance company won't cover your brake lines and tow bill because your Jeep would have been fine to drive if it wasn't for rotted brake lines. Be thankful your brakes didn't go out with small children crossing the street or you were doing 60 mph on the highway.
$300 can buy you fog lights and a bumper and a new brake line, so quit complaining and get your brakes fixed and be thankful that is all you need to fix.

ACCEPT IT and move on.
idiot magnet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
LJEEPJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wheelwright, MA.
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
You're lucky the brakes went when they did or you would be talking about your completely totaled Jeep. My friends Jeep had a brake line blow out leaving my house and used a tree in the driveway to stop. He was heading to the interstate for a 3 hour drive which could have been a disaster.
I understand why the insurance company won't cover your brake lines and tow bill because your Jeep would have been fine to drive if it wasn't for rotted brake lines. Be thankful your brakes didn't go out with small children crossing the street or you were doing 60 mph on the highway.
$300 can buy you fog lights and a bumper and a new brake line, so quit complaining and get your brakes fixed and be thankful that is all you need to fix.

ACCEPT IT and move on.
The idiot took my thunder, but I will add that things happen in life and we think is a negative or just plain sucks. Sitting in a jail cell, car impounded, DUI charge, no money....it seemed like the bottom of my world. Now as I look back 20 years...it turns out that is one of the best incidents that ever happened to me. We don't know what's a bad thing until years later. Could be an angel driving that care in front of you as the above poster referred to.....might have saved your life for something better.
LJEEPJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
JohnDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 848
I have a smittybilt stinger and it's pretty a solid, I'm happy with it. Not loose like it was mentioned above
__________________
2004 Wrangler TJ X, and a bunch of stuff
JohnDoe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,548
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy724 View Post
Soo in recent news the other insurance company sent out an appraiser and iI got a call this morning. They said that my brake lines were rotted and that it was a maintenance issue and therefore the brakes were not a part of the accident. they worked fine before the idiot tried to back the wrong way onto a main road directly into me. They estimated 300$ for bumper anfog lights. And nothing for the brakes or tow or rental car. How dI go about figtning this because I'm not accepting that at all
You can choose where you want to get your car repaired. An insurance company cannot tell you that you can't take your Jeep to the dealership to have it properly repaired. The insurance company is just trying to save money, and they will screw you, if you let them. I don't agree with them telling you that your brake lines were rusted and this is why they broke. If the car hadn't hit you, they wouldn't have broken. It's like someone saying that your vehicle is rusted and this is why the accident caused so much damage. You need to take your Jeep to the dealership, and if the insurance company refuses to give you the check, tell them you will consult a lawyer, and DO IT. Sometimes, those insurance companies will even send you a check that is less than the cost of the repair. They figure that you might keep the money that you have in your hand. I just send back their check, and call them and tell them that this check won't cover my repair. Then, they send me the proper amount, especially if you tell them that you will contact a lawyer. If a lawyer gets involved, then the insurance company will have to pay the lawyer fees too, if you win. It is no doubt that you will win the case, because the Police report says it wasn't your fault. It's all part of the game that these insurance companies play to save money. Heck, you can take your Jeep to three dealerships and send the insurance company the highest estimate. The insurance company cannot tell you that you can't get your Jeep repaired at a particular dealership. The worse that they can do is send the check to the dealership. Sometimes, they might send you a check for $60.00 less, and then you can decide to keep it or send it back. Again, they are just trying to save money. You can even tell them that you don't trust a particular dealership because you have had problems with them. Just don't lie about it, if you can't clearly justify your position. Lying will cause you to lose the case, even if you aren't at fault.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
idiot magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasUGC View Post
You can choose where you want to get your car repaired. An insurance company cannot tell you that you can't take your Jeep to the dealership to have it properly repaired. The insurance company is just trying to save money, and they will screw you, if you let them. I don't agree with them telling you that your brake lines were rusted and this is why they broke. If the car hadn't hit you, they wouldn't have broken. It's like someone saying that your vehicle is rusted and this is why the accident caused so much damage. You need to take your Jeep to the dealership, and if the insurance company refuses to give you the check, tell them you will consult a lawyer, and DO IT. Sometimes, those insurance companies will even send you a check that is less than the cost of the repair. They figure that you might keep the money that you have in your hand. I just send back their check, and call them and tell them that this check won't cover my repair. Then, they send me the proper amount, especially if you tell them that you will contact a lawyer. If a lawyer gets involved, then the insurance company will have to pay the lawyer fees too, if you win. It is no doubt that you will win the case, because the Police report says it wasn't your fault. It's all part of the game that these insurance companies play to save money. Heck, you can take your Jeep to three dealerships and send the insurance company the highest estimate. The insurance company cannot tell you that you can't get your Jeep repaired at a particular dealership. The worse that they can do is send the check to the dealership. Sometimes, they might send you a check for $60.00 less, and then you can decide to keep it or send it back. Again, they are just trying to save money. You can even tell them that you don't trust a particular dealership because you have had problems with them. Just don't lie about it, if you can't clearly justify your position. Lying will cause you to lose the case, even if you aren't at fault.
Yeah this is a great idea and spend even more money getting your Jeep towed all over the city without knowing if they will ever cover the bill for getting the brakes fixed. It was a very minor accident that only damaged the flimsy stock bumper and fog lights. All it took was one time that he applied his brakes a bit harder than usual to cause the line to bust. I'd say he's lucky it wasn't in a life or death situation and it was just a very SLOW accident, but keep advising him to go after more and more money for a MINOR accident.

greed·y
ˈgrēdē/
adjective
1.having or showing an intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth or power.
idiot magnet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,826
I was told by an adjuster they only pay for a rental car if your car is undriveable and you really need another car to get around

The first may hinge on the brake issue

The second as he explained it is based on if you rented a car as if you really needed one you would have rented one and then if first condition was met they would pay for rental but if you were waiting to see if they would pay before you rented you did not really need one and they would resist paying for a rental
Digger84 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,548
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
Yeah this is a great idea and spend even more money getting your Jeep towed all over the city without knowing if they will ever cover the bill for getting the brakes fixed. It was a very minor accident that only damaged the flimsy stock bumper and fog lights. All it took was one time that he applied his brakes a bit harder than usual to cause the line to bust. I'd say he's lucky it wasn't in a life or death situation and it was just a very SLOW accident, but keep advising him to go after more and more money for a MINOR accident.

greed·y
ˈgrēdē/
adjective
1.having or showing an intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth or power.
Yeah, I guess you were there and you saw the pictures. OP we need pictures. If the accident didn't touch the brake lines then that is a personal repair issue.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,548
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger84 View Post
I was told by an adjuster they only pay for a rental car if your car is undriveable and you really need another car to get around

The first may hinge on the brake issue

The second as he explained it is based on if you rented a car as if you really needed one you would have rented one and then if first condition was met they would pay for rental but if you were waiting to see if they would pay before you rented you did not really need one and they would resist paying for a rental
It depends on why you need the rental, and if the accident caused your Jeep not to be drivable. If you need the rental to get to work or to school, and you no longer have your Jeep, then it is reasonable. I would also talk to your insurance company instead of listening to the other insurance company. Do you have any estimates, other than listening to the other insurance company? Was your hood, fenders or grill damaged? And, I'm sure you will need an alignment too. Some people will come out to your Jeep and give you an estimate too, if it is not drivable. Or, maybe you can arrange to pick them up.

ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC