Add-on tailgate storage compartment/trail table - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Add-on tailgate storage compartment/trail table

I've been working on a tailgate storage idea I'm calling the "StoreGate". Today I installed a prototype on the tailgate of my LJ. The version I installed today is open, and secures the cargo with a stretchy net. It's also got two cupholders and a parts compartment on the top.



I've got two quarts of oil and my recovery strap (in the black canvas bag) in it at the moment; there's room for more cargo.



It can be installed with double-sided automotive trim tape, but I installed this one with sheet metal screws into the tailgate because as a prototype it's likely to be coming off and on a few times.

Here's another version, it's got a locking diamond plate door that also serves as a table. It's installed on my fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer:



jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
david95xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 134
david95xj is on a distinguished road
When are you going to sell it?

__________________

Current: '15 JKUR White
Past: CJ/TJ/XJs
david95xj is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david95xj View Post
When are you going to sell it?
I have no plans to sell it myself, I just design this stuff for a hobby.

I started this thread to get feedback on the product idea, if there's enough interest, I'll try to find a company that's interested in bringing these to market. I've done about 5 products this way so far, most are on the market and selling.

I do have a manufacturer lined up to make the StoreGate shells, so a company wanting to bring these to market could use that manufacturer to get a jump start on things.

And if there isn't enough interest, I'll just enjoy my two StoreGates on my LJ and my trailer, and maybe I'll finish up a few more of the remaining run of prototype shells and sell them on eBay...

jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Overthink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Talladega,AL
Posts: 175
Overthink is on a distinguished road
Diggin the model with the drop down table
Overthink is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
mrbat23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: illinois
Posts: 315
mrbat23 is on a distinguished road
I love that locking one. What would you charge to make one for my tj?
mrbat23 is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
jasongind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Mile High City
Posts: 735
jasongind is on a distinguished road
This has got to be the best storage idea I've seen yet. If this came to market I would get a locking one. If you are going to post them on ebay pm me and I'll paypal you the funds directly, thus eliminating ebay's cut an put a few more $ in your pocket.
__________________
Teraflex 4" Long Arm Kit, Teraflex 1" Body Lift, M.O.R.E. 1" MML, Teraflex Belly-Up Kit, Rock Crawler 17" Wheels, 35" Toyo Open Country's, Uniden Cb, 2' Firestick Antenna
jasongind is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbat23 View Post
I love that locking one. What would you charge to make one for my tj?
Sorry, I don't do work for hire, I just build this stuff for my own enjoyment. But like I said in post #3, if there isn't enough interest in this to try to find a company to bring it to market, I may just finish up the 4 or 5 shells I have left from the prototype run and sell them on eBay.
jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Lil Red JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Da Burgh
Posts: 542
Lil Red JK is on a distinguished road
I have been looking for something like the locking one with the table! I haven't had my JK very long but I have already thoughtquite often how nice it would be to have a storage area there with a drop down table for cutting on or preparing food for the grill or to use as a table to eat from. I like the top of it also with the cup holders and the long pocket for tools! Nice job! I would love to have one!

Please let me know what happens with your idea, I think it would be a very popular design! If you do end up selling the few on EBAY, please pm me prior and I too would love to have one of your building enjoyment prototypes!
__________________
Make life your playground
'12 Flame Red Sport S 6spd
Lil Red JK is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 18
Yukonflyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Red JK View Post
I have been looking for something like the locking one with the table! I haven't had my JK very long but I have already thoughtquite often how nice it would be to have a storage area there with a drop down table for cutting on or preparing food for the grill or to use as a table to eat from. I like the top of it also with the cup holders and the long pocket for tools! Nice job! I would love to have one!

Please let me know what happens with your idea, I think it would be a very popular design! If you do end up selling the few on EBAY, please pm me prior and I too would love to have one of your building enjoyment prototypes!

So what ended up happening with this? Did you sell the prototypes on ebay or did someone pick up the design? It'd be perfect on the JKU
Yukonflyer is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
PCoyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 163
PCoyne is on a distinguished road
Love that. If you decide to go to eBay pm also if you do not mind. But brilliant design. I can't believe a company hasn't take you in. But best of luck to you!
PCoyne is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonflyer View Post
So what ended up happening with this? Did you sell the prototypes on ebay or did someone pick up the design? It'd be perfect on the JKU
I did test fit one on the JKU, it fits perfectly and even clears the subwoofer if installed, see the photos below, it's just clamped in place for the photos.

I think I still have 3 or 4 of the shells here, I haven't done anything with them yet. I did talk to a company that expressed some interest in the design, that opportunity may yet develop.



jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Woody3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 125
Woody3 is on a distinguished road
What an awesome concept!!! I love the lockable door/table. If you end up selling the shells on eBay, please let me know so I can grab one up.
Woody3 is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
pcwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yorktown
Posts: 406
pcwolf is on a distinguished road
Rokmen makes a replacement drop-down tailgate in aluminum. But yours looks great as well.

More interested on where you located the black diamond-plate aluminum toolbox installed in the TJ in your first picture
__________________
-Phil

Man out standing in his field
o|||||||o
pcwolf is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwolf View Post
Rokmen makes a replacement drop-down tailgate in aluminum. But yours looks great as well.

More interested on where you located the black diamond-plate aluminum toolbox installed in the TJ in your first picture
I designed it and then found a company that makes boxes and had it made. Then the design was picked up by Gr8Tops and is now on the market, you can get them here: Jeep Secure Trunk Box | GR8TOPS It's specificially designed for the '04-'06 Wrangler Unlimited.
jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bushkill PA
Posts: 65
Bushkill240 is on a distinguished road
Would you be willing to sell one?
Bushkill240 is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill240 View Post
Would you be willing to sell one?
Sell one of the unfinished shells? I don't have any plans to sell any of them right now. Maybe in the future I'll decide I don't have any use for any of the remaining shells and I'll offer them for sale.
jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Update on this design - a company has now signed up to manufacture/market the StoreGate. A prototype was shown this week at SEMA, it'll probably be on the market in Q1 2016. A few photos from SEMA - shown here on a JK tailgate, it also fits on TJ tailgates.



jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #18
Full Size Jeep Dr.

WF Supporting Member
 
lindel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The land of Salted Iron
Posts: 3,141
lindel is on a distinguished road
Definitely like the idea of the Storegate/table design.
__________________
His: 1999 Flame Red TJ, With a few mods...

Hers: 1987 Grand Wagoneer, stock w/Falken Wildpeak ATs
lindel is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 4,414
mrcarcrazy is on a distinguished road
Pretty cool. I'll be curious to see what they list at.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
Pretty cool. I'll be curious to see what they list at.
What do you think they should list at?

They plan two versions, one with the cargo net only, and one with the locking door/trail table. The cargo net version would be less expensive than the door/table version.
jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 4,414
mrcarcrazy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
What do you think they should list at?

They plan two versions, one with the cargo net only, and one with the locking door/trail table. The cargo net version would be less expensive than the door/table version.
I'm probably a bad person to ask that. I'm about as cheap as they come.

however, I'm always willing to give an opinion.

I'd expect the net one to be ~120-150 and the door/table version to be ~180-200. I'd hope they were less expensive than that...but that's where I'd expect them to list.
__________________
#2 Jeep http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/99...ld-819418.html
99 Sahara, automatic.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
diplo707 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I would be interested in purchasing one with the netting.

Is there a site for this?
diplo707 is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplo707 View Post
Hi,

I would be interested in purchasing one with the netting.

Is there a site for this?
A company has just recently signed up to bring these to market and they're expected to be available within the next two months. I'm told several only Jeep accessory retailers will be carrying them, but since they haven't announced yet I don't think I can post the sites until they do.

Here's a preproduction locking compartment/trail table version on a JK. I'm told the production version may have black diamondplate instead of bright, what do you guys think about bright vs. black?



The net version will look like the one posted earlier in the thread.
jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
12vtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 670
12vtman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
A company has just recently signed up to bring these to market and they're expected to be available within the next two months. I'm told several only Jeep accessory retailers will be carrying them, but since they haven't announced yet I don't think I can post the sites until they do. Here's a preproduction locking compartment/trail table version on a JK. I'm told the production version may have black diamondplate instead of bright, what do you guys think about bright vs. black? The net version will look like the one posted earlier in the thread.
My vote would be black. Cool looking trail table Jeff.
__________________
2005 LJ Saharicon #380
2004 Sahara, 4.0, NV3550, - Sold
1982 CJ5 4.2, T-176 - Gone, but not forgotten.
12vtman is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vtman View Post
My vote would be black. Cool looking trail table Jeff.
Thanks for the input.
jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
jeepers29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 4,953
jeepers29 is on a distinguished road
Def black for the diamond plate. Really like the concept. Hope it comes to market.
__________________
98 TJ 4i in currie with Currie bars front and rear
2014 JKUR AMP"D,Ace slider,BFG AT/KO's 33's
Ace Tire carrier/ rear bumper,LOD Mid width front bumper

I love my country. That's why I despise the government.
jeepers29 is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
jeepers29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 4,953
jeepers29 is on a distinguished road
Any idea what weight capacities it will have.
__________________
98 TJ 4i in currie with Currie bars front and rear
2014 JKUR AMP"D,Ace slider,BFG AT/KO's 33's
Ace Tire carrier/ rear bumper,LOD Mid width front bumper

I love my country. That's why I despise the government.
jeepers29 is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
Def black for the diamond plate. Really like the concept. Hope it comes to market.
Thanks for the input. The company tells me the mold for the plastic shell is in process now, and production units are expected to be available in about 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
Any idea what weight capacities it will have.
I always have a recovery strap, a quart or two of oil and some miscellaneous stuff in mine. What are you looking to carry?
jscherb is offline   Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
jeepers29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 4,953
jeepers29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Thanks for the input. The company tells me the mold for the plastic shell is in process now, and production units are expected to be available in about 2 months.



I always have a recovery strap, a quart or two of oil and some miscellaneous stuff in mine. What are you looking to carry?
Nothing in mind, but weight limits are always nice to have. From the size of it, it looks like a great place to store recovery gear, but that can add up in weight.
__________________
98 TJ 4i in currie with Currie bars front and rear
2014 JKUR AMP"D,Ace slider,BFG AT/KO's 33's
Ace Tire carrier/ rear bumper,LOD Mid width front bumper

I love my country. That's why I despise the government.
jeepers29 is offline   Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,055
jscherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
Nothing in mind, but weight limits are always nice to have. From the size of it, it looks like a great place to store recovery gear, but that can add up in weight.
If you want me to drive around with a certain weight in there, weigh the recovery gear you have in mind and let me know, I'll put that many pounds plus a few in it and drive with the weight in there for a week or so as a test.

jscherb is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner