ADVICE ASAP: Sell or not? 05' Rubicon - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
ADVICE ASAP: Sell or not? 05' Rubicon

I just need some advice from you all. Please, I am just trying to decide and am not sure what to do. As this is a very hard decision for me. So, I have had my 2005 Rubicon for sale for awhile now since I am deploying for a year. I had an older couple (45+ and I am 25) look at the jeep yesterday. They have never owned a wrangler before or driven in one till they drove mine and I drove them around also. The husband has tried to convince his wife out of it, but she loves red. But she doesn't care that it has a 4.5" RE lift on it, 33's (maybe 3k miles on them), new rims etc. Pretty much she doesn't care to ever take it off road and it going to treat it like crap (those were her words and her husbands). It would be a grocery getter and take their kids to school. They would buy it for $15,900. But here is my dilemma.

It has not one scratch on the exterior or any wear on the interior (inside and out is literally spotless). It has a 4.5" RE lift, 33's, new wheels, new blower motor, spotless engine (I am OCD about keeping it clean, even under the chassis), has 114,xxx miles on it but the motor, tranny and both D44 diffs were rebuilt 30k miles ago with all new gaskets etc by original owner (all matching vins on everthing). All maintenance records, no issues, no death wobble etc.

I deploy in 3.5 weeks for a year in the middle east and if I sell this tomorrow, Ill be buying a different one when I get back for sure (i love TJ's). Ill be able to pay it off in about two months and literally make it more or a beast. But if I sell it and buy another one later down the road, Im going to end up with others problems with their rig and as of now I can't find a cleaner rubicon (don't care about miles) then mine right now that is at a good price.

So, should I sell it knowing I may not get this much for it, or keep it? My issue also is that they already said they will never off road with it and will not take good care of it. So that worries me that it is not going to an owner who LOVES wranglers like the family on here does, and myself.

Sorry for the rant but I was literally taking it off craigslist and all the sites as this lady called me as I was deleting it all. I have debated this the past few days and Im not sure what to do.

Please, helpful ADVICE thank you for reading this and helping me out. Very much appreciated.

__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
War Damn Eagle

WF Supporting Member
 
gixxerphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auburn, Al
Posts: 27,784
Could you not store it somewhere?

__________________
gixxerphil is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
when I deploy, my fiancé is actually moving back to Massachusetts and she is towing it out there to store it. Then I would just pay on it and pay it off or refinance it. She won't be driving it much. Just enough to get the thing moving and fluids moving. But stored all winter and garaged
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 AM   #4
War Damn Eagle

WF Supporting Member
 
gixxerphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auburn, Al
Posts: 27,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
when I deploy, my fiancé is actually moving back to Massachusetts and she is towing it out there to store it. Then I would just pay on it and pay it off or refinance it. She won't be driving it much. Just enough to get the thing moving and fluids moving. But stored all winter and garaged

If you really love this particular Jeep, I'd probably just store it. Seems like you already know what to do, you just need a little reassurance
__________________
gixxerphil is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerphil View Post
If you really love this particular Jeep, I'd probably just store it. Seems like you already know what to do, you just need a little reassurance

Eh definitely I do. Just a hard decision ya know.
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 03:45 AM   #6
War Damn Eagle

WF Supporting Member
 
gixxerphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auburn, Al
Posts: 27,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
Eh definitely I do. Just a hard decision ya know.

If you do get rid of it, do you think you'll be happy with it's replacement? I searched 3 yrs for a 79 Wagoneer, it needs a good bit of TLC, but I wouldn't get rid of it....unless someone was a complete idiot and offered way more than it's worth
__________________
gixxerphil is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerphil View Post
If you do get rid of it, do you think you'll be happy with it's replacement? I searched 3 yrs for a 79 Wagoneer, it needs a good bit of TLC, but I wouldn't get rid of it....unless someone was a complete idiot and offered way more than it's worth
I have searched in both AZ, where I currently live, and Boston, where we are moving, and for the price I have mine at, others are stock for a few hundred less with the same miles. Also, Rubicons with around the same parts and condition are ranging from $17300-23000. Way more then I am asking and mine is less damage. So I guess with the way I've searched I wouldn't be happy with the ones I have found so far. I totally get what you're saying. I mean I could sell it and buy one that ends up costing a fortune to fix and to make it where mine is at. Then be more debt and in the hole ya know.
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 AM   #8
War Damn Eagle

WF Supporting Member
 
gixxerphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auburn, Al
Posts: 27,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
I have searched in both AZ, where I currently live, and Boston, where we are moving, and for the price I have mine at, others are stock for a few hundred less with the same miles. Also, Rubicons with around the same parts and condition are ranging from $17300-23000. Way more then I am asking and mine is less damage. So I guess with the way I've searched I wouldn't be happy with the ones I have found so far. I totally get what you're saying. I mean I could sell it and buy one that ends up costing a fortune to fix and to make it where mine is at. Then be more debt and in the hole ya know.

You gotta think in Boston(I hate the Blo Sux go Yankees) they would be eaten up with rust. I always see people in the NE bitch about rust. Being in the South, I can't relate to it. Just something else to consider
__________________
gixxerphil is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 04:09 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerphil View Post
You gotta think in Boston(I hate the Blo Sux go Yankees) they would be eaten up with rust. I always see people in the NE bitch about rust. Being in the South, I can't relate to it. Just something else to consider
Haha made me laugh. I'm not a sports fan really so I have no opinion. That is true. Here in AZ we have no rust issues. I have zero rust or dirt caked on mine. But I wipe the underside and power wash after each off roading or any mud event. Seriously, thank you for your help. Very much appreciated sir!
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
webejeepinms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 89
Images: 1
Thank you for your service. I'd keep it, you said it would be paid off in two months. Sounds like you really love it. You may never find another one you like as much. You know what you have with this one.
webejeepinms is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
jefferyfghezzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SANDUSKY OHIO
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
Eh definitely I do. Just a hard decision ya know.
Store it. I've been storing a 79 Fiat that I bought new in SEPT of 1978. At one point I didn't see it for 3 years. Today I am glad I never sold it. The most I ever paid to store it was $70.00 a month or $840 a year. Look at it this way, can you find another JEEP you will be as happy with for $840.00 more than you get for your JEEP?
jefferyfghezzi is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: behind enemy lines fighting the Caliban
Posts: 1,142
1. you have a place to store it and someone to look after it
+
2. it's clean
+
3. you love TJs
=
4. keep it



You might want to look into using the Eastwood product to protect the inside of the frame before you deploy.
UnlimitedRubicon is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 101
Jeeps and guns, NEVER sell either!

If you keep it, you'd have to pay the insurance to keep the registration? I'd keep it either way. You'll be sorry if you sold it.
Rubicon_Gil is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Mr Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 2,659
Images: 18
Keep it or forever regret selling it.

Mac
Experienced in regret.
__________________
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17 (KJV)


Mr Mac is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 120
You have a rust free model now, coming from Arizona, so keep and pay it off. If you start looking for one in the North East, you'll have rust to deal with!
__________________
I'm pretty close to having turned every nut and bolt on this thing!
Offroad1 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
kdawgg11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 199
First off thanks for your service and I would keep it if it was me for one you got it the way you want it and not let somebody tear up my jeep that doesn't have a mark on it I don't care what money I get that is just me and my opinion


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
kdawgg11 is online now   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
SurfKaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 1,425
I've pulled mine off CL 3 times. I was in a similar situation last round with a buyer on the line with a solid deal. I didn't feel right about it & couldn't sleep well. Once I turned it down & pulled off CL the anxiety left. I'd keep it & store til you return. Just my 2 cents.
SurfKaster is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
Thank you all for the advice. I'm keeping it and buying some goodies for it. I think it deserves it after all this haha
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfKaster View Post
I've pulled mine off CL 3 times. I was in a similar situation last round with a buyer on the line with a solid deal. I didn't feel right about it & couldn't sleep well. Once I turned it down & pulled off CL the anxiety left. I'd keep it & store til you return. Just my 2 cents.
What's a good way to tell someone you no
Longer are going to sell it? Without being an a hole ya know.


Everyone, I really appreciate all of you for helping me out. I didn't sleep at all last night and am exhausted over this. So thank you.
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
LJEEPJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wheelwright, MA.
Posts: 416
Just apologize, but your heart wouldn't let you do it. I am sure the buyer will understand completely. Oh and thanks for your service.
LJEEPJ is online now   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
What's a good way to tell someone you no
Longer are going to sell it? Without being an a hole ya know.
Honesty is always the best policy. Just tell them that you've thought about it and decided to store it until you return from your tour. They'll understand!
__________________
I'm pretty close to having turned every nut and bolt on this thing!
Offroad1 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJEEPJ View Post
Just apologize, but your heart wouldn't let you do it. I am sure the buyer will understand completely. Oh and thanks for your service.
Ok I will do that. Thank you.
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
DavidW954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 248
Unless you need the cash, keep it.

Put it up on axle stands, put some Gas stabiliser in the tank and run it through the motor, do an oil change (acids in old oil is what attacks the insides of the motor), disconnect the battery and put a cover over it in a dry garage.
DavidW954 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #24
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
If you like the Jeep, keep it. The best Jeep is the one you have.

And it sounds like the prospective buyers don't need a Rubicon anyway. They'll understand you deciding to keep it and it won't be a big deal for them to find another rig.
OrangeCrash is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
MarkGLHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ellington, Connecticut
Posts: 1,129
LUMBERJACK this decision is as easy as changing magazines in your M4: keep your Rubicon in storage until you return. Be safe!
__________________
2002 Wrangler Sahara, all stock, 5-speed, Dana 44, duel tan tops, 2nd owner.

2008 Hemi Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, Quadradrive II, original owner, 22,000 miles.
MarkGLHS is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGLHS View Post
LUMBERJACK this decision is as easy as changing magazines in your M4: keep your Rubicon in storage until you return. Be safe!
I decided to keep it and ended up buying some stuff today for it

I wrote the people a nice email and also found 4-5 other wranglers in exactly what they wanted for half price. Not many other sellers would do that so I figured it would help them out and another jeep owner to sell their rig. Never got any type of response or anything but whatever.
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW954 View Post
Unless you need the cash, keep it.

Put it up on axle stands, put some Gas stabiliser in the tank and run it through the motor, do an oil change (acids in old oil is what attacks the insides of the motor), disconnect the battery and put a cover over it in a dry garage.
I never thought about the jack stands. Thanks so much. very good idea. Ill be giving it a good oil change.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrash View Post
If you like the Jeep, keep it. The best Jeep is the one you have.

And it sounds like the prospective buyers don't need a Rubicon anyway. They'll understand you deciding to keep it and it won't be a big deal for them to find another rig.
They really don't need a rubicon at all. Heck the wife who wants it so bad couldn't get the jeep into reverse for some reason, yet she still wanted it.

I was nice enough to email them "i want to keep the jeep for my fiancé so I know she is safe in the snow while in the MA winter. Plus I much rather not worry about her when we will have little to no contact". AND find them other wranglers, much cheaper, not rubicon in exactly what they want. No response but i know i did what was right.
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 24
Only TJ's I've seen with no rust are down south and out west. Even those were hit or miss with other issues. You've got a gem and I'm glad you decided to keep it. My 60th succumbed to rust after twelve years. Finally got rid of it for a JKU. I miss mine once in a while. I don't off road as much these days, but go to beach here in NJ and Mass. Enjoy her bud.
NyCSnEaK is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Lumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCSnEaK View Post
Only TJ's I've seen with no rust are down south and out west. Even those were hit or miss with other issues. You've got a gem and I'm glad you decided to keep it. My 60th succumbed to rust after twelve years. Finally got rid of it for a JKU. I miss mine once in a while. I don't off road as much these days, but go to beach here in NJ and Mass. Enjoy her bud.
Thank you and that's awesome your in a JKU. How do you like MA for beach riding and stuff?
__________________
TREE HUGGER!~~ 2005 Red Rubicon, 33/12.50/15 on procomps, 6spd, 4.5" RE lift, 1" BL, Custom F/R bumpers, 4" BW flares
Lumberjack is offline   Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
seeraedave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 77
If you'll actually be going to leave it sit for a while, last thing before shutting off the key, stall it out with fogging oil just like you would when storing a boat for the off season. A nice oil film on the cylinder walls will go a long way toward preventing any cylinder rust.

seeraedave is offline   Quick Reply
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC