AeroDynamics? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #31
Drives by Braille

WF Supporting Member
 
AzTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: For-8-Oh!
Posts: 13,587
If you have to worry that much about aerodynamics and gas mileage, you bought the wrong vehicle.

I'm currently driving my TJ(uphill) 10miles to work with the windows up, A/C on high at ~50mph on 32" tires and 3.07 gears and have averaged about 16mpg over the last couple of weeks. When I was driving to work back in February(it was still nice outside), I'd make the same drive with the windows down and A/C off and averaged about the same. Say what you want and do all your tests, but your gonna have to pay for the gas either way, sooner or later.

AzTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #32
MOz
Jeeper
 
MOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Poconos
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Actually it gets about 2-3 mpg more with the top, doors off and the windshield down. The windshield down varies by state laws as to whether you are required to have eye protection or not. Other than a few double takes from troopers here and the occasional wet bug in the kisser I've not had a problem, I just tried it one weekend out of curiosity. You will also need to take off the bars from the rear hoop to the windshield, they make this really annoying whistling sound and the vibrate a lot..
Richp - what is PA's position on the windshield being down? I was considering dropping mine.

__________________


It ain't no fun unless you get some of it on you.
MOz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #33
MOz
Jeeper
 
MOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Poconos
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Congratulations Trip, you are the first person I have ever put on 'Ignore'... you're just like like a young puppy dog bouncing around looking for attention and too distracting. Don't bother replying, I won't see it.
Sometimes a little information can go the wrong way.

Tripp - Jerry has probably forgotten more about Jeeps than you'll ever imagine. If you put more emphasis on applying your energy in a positive manner, accept positive criticism, and stop digging people that have more experience than you, you might get more respect.

Engineering is supposed to teach you how to think and be open minded.
__________________


It ain't no fun unless you get some of it on you.
MOz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
sgnellett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Under a sheet of ice, you know, from Global Warming!
Posts: 2,949
MoZ, Don't hold your breath...
__________________
SGNellett, 02 TJ "LUCY" 3" BDS w/ quick disco's, 33x12.5x15's on Chrome Steel Tailgunners, K&N CAI, Tomkens front & rear w/ swing away tire carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
And the most important safety, I never put my booger hook on the bang switch unless I'm ready to fire.
sgnellett is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOz View Post
Sometimes a little information can go the wrong way.

Tripp - Jerry has probably forgotten more about Jeeps than you'll ever imagine. If you put more emphasis on applying your energy in a positive manner, accept positive criticism, and stop digging people that have more experience than you, you might get more respect.

Engineering is supposed to teach you how to think and be open minded.
I know he has more experience than me however that doesnt mean that he knows everything i know. Some times what he says is wrong and i say something to correct it and "i'm the bad guy", however if i say something and he corrects me in the most degrading way, i'm close minded and he is a "hero".. see what i'm saying?

Just because i disagree with what some one says, doesnt make me close minded. I'm far from close minded my friend, but i rely on proof and explanation. I wont agree with you just because you say it. I need a reason why to agree with you.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #36
MOz
Jeeper
 
MOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Poconos
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
I know he has more experience than me however that doesnt mean that he knows everything i know. Some times what he says is wrong and i say something to correct it and "i'm the bad guy", however if i say something and he corrects me in the most degrading way, i'm close minded and he is a "hero".. see what i'm saying?

Just because i disagree with what some one says, doesnt make me close minded. I'm far from close minded my friend, but i rely on proof and explanation. I wont agree with you just because you say it. I need a reason why to agree with you.
Tripp, I can honestly say, I too tried to help you out. But sometimes, you're too stubborn to want to understand or change your approach. At first I shrugged it off to just inexperience but then it became clear there's something more below the waterline with your issues.

Your approach makes all the difference. It's not if you are wrong or right, it's how you play the game. Your unwillingness to listen to reason (provided by others and myself) demonstrates closemindedness. There's your evidence. There's many posts on this.

Nobody here faults anyone for trying. However, when you try to support your point with unfounded statements (in an outwardly arrogant manner) you might just wear some of it in the process.

Try to be a positive contributor and eliminate your compulsion to correct everyone with your inexperience.
__________________


It ain't no fun unless you get some of it on you.
MOz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
jeepcop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Waynesboro
Posts: 87
... BACK ON TOPIC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTJ View Post
If you have to worry that much about aerodynamics and gas mileage, you bought the wrong vehicle.

I'm currently driving my TJ(uphill) 10miles to work with the windows up, A/C on high at ~50mph on 32" tires and 3.07 gears and have averaged about 16mpg over the last couple of weeks. When I was driving to work back in February(it was still nice outside), I'd make the same drive with the windows down and A/C off and averaged about the same. Say what you want and do all your tests, but your gonna have to pay for the gas either way, sooner or later.
I would have to agree on this one AzTJ. They are more than obviously not made for their aerodynamics. More than once I have seen the "flying brick" expression used and it's entirely accurate! The way I look at it just enjoy the ride and let the wind blow through your hair. I read the best quote the other day on an email that said "Live Like a Dog", Never pass up an opportunity for a joyride, allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure extacy.

As far as the back on topic comment I made.... I know people end up having differences in opinion but since I have been on this board I have seen a lot of people with a lot of knowledge, some wrong some right. IMHO if your having a problem with someone it's called a PM. Take care of it off the board and don't ruin it for everyone else by making them listen to your banter back and forth. I know I'm doing the same thing now but I think it would be good for all to hear. Off my soap box and sorry if I offended anyone. If anyone is offended by this comment that was not my intent.
__________________
"Malfunction is the mother of modification"
'01 TJ Sport
2" Teraflex BB
FourReal front and rear bumpers
Warn 9500ti
KC Windsheild light mounts w/ lights (lights aren't KC)
Headlight and Taillight guards
jeepcop1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
richp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pocono mountains
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOz View Post
Richp - what is PA's position on the windshield being down? I was considering dropping mine.
Not a clue, I don't think the trooper knew either and by the time he made up his mind I was already in the woods across from the raceway headed home... I use those trails alot during race weekends when I have a computer or network service call there.
richp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
richp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pocono mountains
Posts: 1,559
I had an 82 S-10 2.8L 4 speed w/6ft bed, it got 26mpg on the hiway new, it got 26mpg on the hiway after I added a velcro toneau cover, it got 25mpg after the velcro wore out and I took the tail gate off, nothing I did made any difference.

One other thing, I have a 98XJ, 4.0L 5 speed, 3:07 gears and auburn rear LSD, LT235/75 AT/KO's. The best mileage I could get was in 4th gear, 2400rpm at 70mph, windows up, A/C, heat or vent on, 22mpg, 5th was only usable above 70 otherwise the engine was out of the power band and mileage would drop to 19mpg. If I opened all the windows, no a/c, in the power band, mileage would drop to that 19mpg. I could see it, real time, on my OBDII tool that I kept plugged in.
richp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #40
Jeeper
 
Ripcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa AL,
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTJ View Post
If you have to worry that much about aerodynamics and gas mileage, you bought the wrong vehicle.

I'm currently driving my TJ(uphill) 10miles to work with the windows up, A/C on high at ~50mph on 32" tires and 3.07 gears and have averaged about 16mpg over the last couple of weeks. When I was driving to work back in February(it was still nice outside), I'd make the same drive with the windows down and A/C off and averaged about the same. Say what you want and do all your tests, but your gonna have to pay for the gas either way, sooner or later.
Yeah I hear ya and I don't mind paying the price because I love my jeep. I decided to do the test more out of curiosity then anything. I don't drive that much 9 miles to work and sometimes up to the store. I did however take it on a 1 hour drive the other day up the interstate witht he doors off and windows out and when passing a 18 wheeler I could feel the wind sorta speak so that got me thinking. So I decided to do the test!
__________________
'04 Wrangler Sport



Mods
Rubicon Express 3.5 Standard Lift
15x8 Dick Cepek DC1's
33x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw's
Flowmaster 40
Rampage Recovery Bumpers
OR-Fab Tire\Can Carrier


You can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it!
Ripcord is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 189
Cool

Hmmm... I drive with the AC on and the windows off. Is that wrong? Feels very aerodynamic. Lots of air dynamically moving around keeping me cooler.

Barry Obama says "Check your tire pressure and get a tune up". The new philosophy for America's energy crisis. What genius.
__________________


4cyl | 3.5 RE | 35" Trxus | 8.8 | 4:88's
Gilez is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #42
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Lol, just as good as investing in a catalytic converters

Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep fuel economy thru aerodynamics (Attn: Scout) ccain Off-Topic 8 12-26-2008 01:19 PM
aerodynamics idea 1987 wrangler YJ General Discussion Forum 22 09-21-2007 09:07 PM
TJ Aerodynamics. Triple88a TJ General Discussion Forum 135 08-23-2007 02:57 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC