AEV Brute Conversion Kit - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Willow Springs, MO
Posts: 7
AEV Brute Conversion Kit

I have a 2001 TJ that I haven't done anything to it's stock, but I've seen the images of the AEV Brute Conversion kit and I was thinkin about doin that to my jeep...anyone have any more information I could get on it or any advice for me at all? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

JKlapmeyer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Sherpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lehi, UT
Posts: 1,049
Plan on spending $30,000+ to do the full conversion (and by "do" I mean do it correctly).

A co-worker of mine built himself a Brute. Due to his Jeep business he owned at the time, he was able to buy all the parts at wholesale cost, plus he got a pretty good deal on the skilled labor he farmed out (read: lengthening the frame, cutting/welding and painting the body, etc). He said he spent $30k in the process, and he could not imagine anyone building one for less unless they did all the labor themselves. Not many people have that ability and experience, though.

__________________
Dempsey Bowling
My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 06 Mustang GT, 01 Suburban 8.1L, 14 Forte EX
Jeep mods: 4" longarm + 1" BL, 35" KM2s, 4.56s with dual ARBs... and lots of scratched armor
Sherpa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Willow Springs, MO
Posts: 7
that's somethin they don't tell ya about when lookin at it on the websites
JKlapmeyer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
Plan on spending $30,000+ to do the full conversion (and by "do" I mean do it correctly).
The basic Brute kit is $9000 plus shipping, and you won't want to spend that much money and not get it professionally painted, so figure $2500 for painting, but if you do the rest of the work yourself you could probably be driving a Brute for under $13000 total (plus the value of your Jeep). The price depends a lot on how much you can do yourself vs. how much you have to pay to have done.

This isn't a Brute, but it does use the Brute cab closeout sheet metal. I built this one for a little less than $10,000 (plus the cost of the Jeep).



I did the frame lengthening using pieces of a wrecked LJ frame (I didn't need to use the AEV frame kit because I wasn't mounting a Brute bed on it); the bed components are mostly reproduction sheet metal for a 40's pickup. The hardtop and rear fenders are custom. BTW you could use a Gr8Tops hardtop on a Brute, they're about $1000 less than the AEV Brute hardtop.



I spent about $2300 on the AEV cab closeout sheet metal, about $3500 on professional painting (including painting the hardtop), a little less than $2000 on the bed, a few hundred on the wrecked LJ frame, and the rest on misc. parts and supplies.

I did all the work myself in my garage at home except for the painting and lengthening the driveshaft.

Adding stuff like hiline fenders and suspension upgrades could push the price of a Brute much higher .
jscherb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Sherpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lehi, UT
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Adding stuff like hiline fenders and suspension upgrades could push the price of a Brute much higher .
Both of which my co-worker did. I swear I had pictures of it on my server, but I can't find them at the moment....
__________________
Dempsey Bowling
My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 06 Mustang GT, 01 Suburban 8.1L, 14 Forte EX
Jeep mods: 4" longarm + 1" BL, 35" KM2s, 4.56s with dual ARBs... and lots of scratched armor
Sherpa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Willow Springs, MO
Posts: 7
that is a beautiful jeep
JKlapmeyer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
brs2427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Williamsburg
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
The basic Brute kit is $9000 plus shipping, and you won't want to spend that much money and not get it professionally painted, so figure $2500 for painting, but if you do the rest of the work yourself you could probably be driving a Brute for under $13000 total (plus the value of your Jeep). The price depends a lot on how much you can do yourself vs. how much you have to pay to have done.

This isn't a Brute, but it does use the Brute cab closeout sheet metal. I built this one for a little less than $10,000 (plus the cost of the Jeep).



I did the frame lengthening using pieces of a wrecked LJ frame (I didn't need to use the AEV frame kit because I wasn't mounting a Brute bed on it); the bed components are mostly reproduction sheet metal for a 40's pickup. The hardtop and rear fenders are custom. BTW you could use a Gr8Tops hardtop on a Brute, they're about $1000 less than the AEV Brute hardtop.



I spent about $2300 on the AEV cab closeout sheet metal, about $3500 on professional painting (including painting the hardtop), a little less than $2000 on the bed, a few hundred on the wrecked LJ frame, and the rest on misc. parts and supplies.

I did all the work myself in my garage at home except for the painting and lengthening the driveshaft.

Adding stuff like hiline fenders and suspension upgrades could push the price of a Brute much higher .
Awesome job! it looks great!
brs2427 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Duramaxxed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hamptons, Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,181
I would just Save Up and get a New / Used JK8.
__________________
'06 KJ CRD
'06 Ram 2500 Cummins
'07 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Duramaxxed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 81
You're right, they do cost (done RIGHT) about $30K to build BUT, they will hold their value better than most any other Jeep ever built, so far. The JK-8's are "ok" but I personally think the TJ Brute's are a much better looking Jeep and a real pickup not an enclosed Unlimited.



Here's a pic with the RTT mounted on the Brute:


More pics of the Brute on my site: HOME
__________________
Ben Hedrick
2014 3.6L Rubicon X - Expedition build, 2005 4.0L Wrangler LJ (soon to be a Brute), 2011 6.4L AEV 392 HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon (sold), 2003 6.4L AEV Arrington HEMI Brute, 2010 6.1L AEV HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon (sold), 2007 5.7L AEV HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara (sold), 2002 4.0L AEV Brute (sold)
BenHedrick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: russellville, AR
Posts: 546
Images: 8
Ben your awfully proud of that thing I see haha just kiddin brother its a gorgeous rig I'd kill for the chance to get one but with AEV discontinuing a lot of TJ stuff my chance might disappear.
jmcc75 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcc75 View Post
Ben your awfully proud of that thing I see haha just kiddin brother its a gorgeous rig I'd kill for the chance to get one but with AEV discontinuing a lot of TJ stuff my chance might disappear.
That's why I'm building another Brute now...
__________________
Ben Hedrick
2014 3.6L Rubicon X - Expedition build, 2005 4.0L Wrangler LJ (soon to be a Brute), 2011 6.4L AEV 392 HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon (sold), 2003 6.4L AEV Arrington HEMI Brute, 2010 6.1L AEV HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon (sold), 2007 5.7L AEV HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara (sold), 2002 4.0L AEV Brute (sold)
BenHedrick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
Can I convert my 2010 4-Door Jeep to a brute? Does it have better towing capabilities?
JohnDeer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
wolfsbone01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tijeras, NM
Posts: 274
Images: 2
Go to AEV's site and look around. They do make a double cab brute that is based on the JKU's and I think you can by the kit or you can send them your rig and they will convert it for you at a cost.
__________________
2006 LJ Rubi P265/75/R16 Duratracs
wolfsbone01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
SEAICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 312
Images: 10
It's not a "real" pickup, but for less than $2K, an LJ with a GR8Top is a bargain


SEAICE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AEV front bumper owners max-1 JK General Discussion Forum 44 06-19-2013 01:24 PM
AEV Heat Reduction Hood rics1997 JK General Discussion Forum 97 09-16-2012 08:36 PM
AEV Rear Bumper...Opinions wanted ndrugby JK General Discussion Forum 18 04-05-2012 10:01 PM
dual steering stabilizer kit 07JEEPJK JK General Discussion Forum 22 04-04-2012 09:06 AM
TF leveling kit install RBrown9180 JK General Discussion Forum 2 04-04-2012 08:13 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC